Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017 | 08:30 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Got a link for this? I thought one of the advantages of LoJack was it's a radio frequency, so you don't need a GPS signal at all (and thus isn't affected by GPS jammers)?
Sure, here are a couple links I found earlier.

"Sniffer"

http://thespystore.com/counter-surve...FROUfgodobcOSA

Actual jammer

https://www.jammer-store.com/xlg15-x...r-blocker.html
Old 04-10-2017 | 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Not sure what it is here on this forum. Between the catalyst delete thread and this thread a lot of repetition and zero listening.

Tefoc just told you how to disable the fob. If it's inactive you don't need a sleeve or a box.

The GPS jamming granted is another universe

Read the posts guys.
Old 04-10-2017 | 08:56 PM

2016 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Not sure what it is here on this forum. Between the catalyst delete thread and this thread a lot of repetition and zero listening.

Tefoc just told you how to disable the fob. If it's inactive you don't need a sleeve or a box.

The GPS jamming granted is another universe

Read the posts guys.
We are reading... and we're replying with our opinions and options.

Maybe Tefoc's method is bulletproof... maybe it's not. I certainly appreciate him sharing it. However, there are other scenarios that provide exposure to our vehicles...

I've read that if you get out of your car and press the button on the key fob (Tefoc's method) that someone can be standing by with a "cloner" and acquire your code in an instant.

By that explanation, zapping twice to turn it off wouldn't matter much... actually might provide yet a second opportunity to clone your key.

It's for this very reason that I touch the handle to lock... instead of locking my car with the fob.

Which may be pointless btw, because I'm no technological genius so I don't really know, but that's just what I do now.

The Faraday box/cage/bag is just another option for people to use. I provided that solution from research that I did... because I was listening... and since it has not been suggested before, it's not repetition.

Not everything is black and white.
Old 04-10-2017 | 09:51 PM
Veteran: Army

18 E63S
Originally Posted by Palpatine
We are reading... and we're replying with our opinions and options.

Maybe Tefoc's method is bulletproof... maybe it's not. I certainly appreciate him sharing it. However, there are other scenarios that provide exposure to our vehicles...

I've read that if you get out of your car and press the button on the key fob (Tefoc's method) that someone can be standing by with a "cloner" and acquire your code in an instant.

By that explanation, zapping twice to turn it off wouldn't matter much... actually might provide yet a second opportunity to clone your key.

It's for this very reason that I touch the handle to lock... instead of locking my car with the fob.

Which may be pointless btw, because I'm no technological genius so I don't really know, but that's just what I do now.

The Faraday box/cage/bag is just another option for people to use. I provided that solution from research that I did... because I was listening... and since it has not been suggested before, it's not repetition.

Not everything is black and white.
has to be done several times even 3 times to try to clone signal takes way to long.
just disable the fob and put a steering wheel lock if you have too.
Old 04-10-2017 | 10:00 PM

MY2015 C63S
Guys you assume that the range of the fob was extended. But look closer at the video and the guy who was at the house didn't not appear to have any device visually on him. Maybe he had it concealed but even when the car was opened (and his job was done) he stood outside until the car had been started and then walked off. Personally my gut feel is that had the means to get in the car without an extender. They either had a copy of the key OR they had scanned the key codes. As i mentioned i 99% of the time lock the car by swiping my hand on the door handle. The reason why I put it it on here was to continuously make other c63 owners aware of how criminals are steeling your cars and where the weak sports are. Had I been aware of another theft in this manner i would have beefed up security with a steering and/or auto guard system.

I'm livid with the fact that both the GPS and VHF that the tracker uses and command online system uses have both been jammed. So these guys knew what they were doing.
Old 04-10-2017 | 10:53 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by tekfoc
Sounds like a inside job
Go to dealer let them know about it
This ^^^

Personally never heard of yet a vehicle here in Aust. stolen that way.

These thieves knew exactly what needed to be done with how quickly and easy it was done.

Hopefully with the clear mug shot they're caught and dealt with.
Old 04-10-2017 | 11:18 PM

'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
has to be done several times even 3 times to try to clone signal takes way to long.
just disable the fob and put a steering wheel lock if you have too.
From another article:

"Back in the ’90s, I was working as a design engineer for Chrysler. I had responsibility for key cylinders and door latches. At that time auto theft rates in Europe were increasing and driving the insurers to put pressure on the Euro governments to require increased theft deterrence devices on all new cars. As part of our attempt to figure out where best to invest our design dollars, we hired some professional car thieves to provide a more hands-on perspective than us engineers had (well, maybe not all of us).

At some point, the Club was mentioned. The professional thieves laughed and exchanged knowing glances. What we knew was that the Club is a hardened steel device that attaches to the steering wheel and the brake pedal to prevent steering and/or braking. What we found out was that a pro thief would carry a short piece of a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic steering wheel in a couple seconds. They were then able to release The Club and use it to apply a huge amount of torque to the steering wheel and break the lock on the steering column (which most cars were already equipped with). The pro thieves actually sought out cars with The Club on them because they didn’t want to carry a long pry bar that was too hard to conceal."

Originally Posted by yh007x
I'm livid with the fact that both the GPS and VHF that the tracker uses and command online system uses have both been jammed. So these guys knew what they were doing.
That, and your car was targeted. These weren't the usual "two dudes" who were looking for a quick car boost. These were professionals who specifically targeted and as such came prepared for *your* car. So sorry that happened man.
Old 04-11-2017 | 02:38 AM

'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Is there a way around it? Eg once the tracker "loses a signal" ie by the jammer, it immediately goes into alarm/notify mode?

I know some trackers have other options like ignition kill, fuel cutoff, oil cutoff, etc. Maybe if there's a way to have these in "kill" mode by default when armed, and manually disabled when disarmed? Just a thought...
Just came across this...

http://www.gpsmonitoring.eu/headline...-or-gsm-jammer

http://www.gpsmonitoring.eu/jammer-detection

https://trackimo.com/combating-gps-jammers/
Old 04-11-2017 | 07:13 AM

18 E63S
From another article:

"Back in the Â’90s, I was working as a design engineer for Chrysler. I had responsibility for key cylinders and door latches. At that time auto theft rates in Europe were increasing and driving the insurers to put pressure on the Euro governments to require increased theft deterrence devices on all new cars. As part of our attempt to figure out where best to invest our design dollars, we hired some professional car thieves to provide a more hands-on perspective than us engineers had (well, maybe not all of us).

At some point, the Club was mentioned. The professional thieves laughed and exchanged knowing glances. What we knew was that the Club is a hardened steel device that attaches to the steering wheel and the brake pedal to prevent steering and/or braking. What we found out was that a pro thief would carry a short piece of a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic steering wheel in a couple seconds. They were then able to release The Club and use it to apply a huge amount of torque to the steering wheel and break the lock on the steering column (which most cars were already equipped with). The pro thieves actually sought out cars with The Club on them because they didnÂ’t want to carry a long pry bar that was too hard to conceal."That, and your car was targeted. These weren't the usual "two dudes" who were looking for a quick car boost. These were professionals who specifically targeted and as such came prepared for *your* car. So sorry that happened man.
https://www.autolok.co.uk/collection...autolok-fortis

Better then nothing .
I have the one that covers the whole steering wheel that they no longer sell .
Got it years ago for my old car back then .never let me down in NYC.
Attached Thumbnails C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning-photo875.jpg  

Last edited by tekfoc; 04-11-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2017 | 07:38 AM

2016 C63s AMG
The crazier thing here is even after insurance covers the loss, if you replaced it with another C63 then you'd always be worried it would be stolen! They know where you live and what type of car you go for now.
Old 04-11-2017 | 10:25 AM

nothing
Remove keyless go button .
When locking vehicle hit lock button 2 times till you here the horn chirp twice and flash a red light on fob twice .
Now the signal from your key fob is deactivated.
Do the same to your spare key fob.
Every time you go somewhere or home,must keep doing this so that they can not amplify your key fob signal to steal your car.

How are you testing that the key fob is truly deactivated with this method?

There are some really powerful amplifiers out there and the faintest signal can be picked up. You have to remember a radio signal will either go through objects, bounce around (reflected), or get absorbed. It also depends on the frequency it is being generated, such as 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. The 2.4Ghz has a much larger range compared to the 5Ghz signal because of wavelengths.

PS - I do this for a living and work on thwarting attacks, such as breaking encryption or dealing with man-in-the-middle attacks, on a daily basis. I guess you can consider me a professional hacker since I get paid to do this by the DOD.
The following users liked this post:
yh007x (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017 | 11:32 AM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by shoe3k
How are you testing that the key fob is truly deactivated with this method?

There are some really powerful amplifiers out there and the faintest signal can be picked up. You have to remember a radio signal will either go through objects, bounce around (reflected), or get absorbed. It also depends on the frequency it is being generated, such as 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. The 2.4Ghz has a much larger range compared to the 5Ghz signal because of wavelengths.

PS - I do this for a living and work on thwarting attacks, such as breaking encryption or dealing with man-in-the-middle attacks, on a daily basis. I guess you can consider me a professional hacker since I get paid to do this by the DOD.
It's factory built in so that when service is being done they do not have to worry that every time there doing exterior work the car does not keep locking or unlocking for the keyless entry. Or when they wash your car is also when car jockeys disable the hands free at Mercedes.
When you disable key fob there is absolutely no signal transmitting to car .
Only when you manually press your key fob does it transmit to open doors.
Just remember to activate this feature when you feel you have to or all the time if you want.

Last edited by tekfoc; 04-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.
shoe3k (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017 | 11:40 AM

C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
So what does removing the keyless go "start" button do then? Does it mean that if I remove it, then the thief will theoretically need an actual key to start the car?
Old 04-11-2017 | 02:51 PM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by theclutch
So what does removing the keyless go "start" button do then? Does it mean that if I remove it, then the thief will theoretically need an actual key to start the car?
YES he will need actual key since you disabled the keyless go and removed the start button. [even if he has his own start button it will not start]
now your key is somewhere in your home or in your pocket is no longer transmitting since it's been disabled by you.

Last edited by tekfoc; 04-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2017 | 03:48 PM

MY2015 C63S
SO let me summaries. If you disable the key, by double pressing the locks button. The Key is no longer acting as a keyless key.

If you then remove the start button from the car. They cannot physically start the car without the key present. Unless they re-code a key via the OBD port correct?

SO if i do decide to get another C63s, after this harrowing experience, I plan to do the following.

Ensure that all times I double press the lock button
Remove the Start button (I think i will just remove this permanently)
Place the keys in a faraday pouch
Move the ODB port
Install Automotive Ghost
Install a steering lock such as DISKLOK

Might seem an overkill, but I would rather do that and drive I car I enjoy than downgrading to something that just makes do.
Old 04-11-2017 | 05:25 PM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by yh007x
SO let me summaries. If you disable the key, by double pressing the locks button. The Key is no longer acting as a keyless key.

If you then remove the start button from the car. They cannot physically start the car without the key present. Unless they re-code a key via the OBD port correct?

SO if i do decide to get another C63s, after this harrowing experience, I plan to do the following.

Ensure that all times I double press the lock button
Remove the Start button (I think i will just remove this permanently)
Place the keys in a faraday pouch
Move the ODB port
Install Automotive Ghost
Install a steering lock such as DISKLOK

Might seem an overkill, but I would rather do that and drive I car I enjoy than downgrading to something that just makes do.
as long as you disable the key by pressing the lock button twice, you automatically disable the keyless key entry. you also can not start vehicle ether.
Old 04-11-2017 | 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
as long as you disable the key by pressing the lock button twice, you automatically disable the keyless key entry. you also can not start vehicle ether.
Until you unlock the car using that key fob again... Then it will start normally.
Old 04-12-2017 | 02:25 AM

C63
Hi All,

I purchased a Faraday pouch off Amazon this week, designed for car fobs etc.
When it arrived yesterday, I tried it out. (On the courtesy E Class I have while mine is the dealer)

So with key in hand, tried to open the door, unlocked and door opened. Locked it again and put key in pouch. Tried to open the door and nothing!

Then I opened the car with the key, sat in the car. Pressed start button and car started.

Switched off, put key in pouch and tried to start. I got the message "Key not detected, please put key in slot"

So looks like it works and to say I was in the car, looks good!
Uga Uga (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017 | 04:32 AM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Until you unlock the car using that key fob again... Then it will start normally.
Correct
Old 04-12-2017 | 05:36 AM

Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Hi,
I live in the same area as yourself and on two or three occasions have experienced someone coming up to the car, pulling a device out, opening the boot and taking its contents. Due to living in a private area I guess they can't take the car. Once I had installed an aftermarket alarm system, I had caught one of them at around 3am on the drive, after me turning on the lights he ran away. The alarm was installed by CarAudioSecurity, it has many security features which I guess work as he hasn't came back after the day I installed it.
I hope this issue comes out in your favour.
Thanks

Last edited by UrBusted; 04-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
yh007x (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017 | 02:58 PM

MY2015 C63S
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Hi,
I live in the same area as yourself and on two or three occasions have experienced someone coming up to the car, pulling a device out, opening the boot and taking its contents. Due to living in a private area I guess they can't take the car. Once I had installed an aftermarket alarm system, I had caught one of them at around 3am on the drive, after me turning on the lights he ran away. The alarm was installed by CarAudioSecurity, it has many security features which I guess work as he hasn't came back after the day I installed it.
I hope this issue comes out in your favour.
Thanks
I will check out caraudiosecruity. I definitely won't be living with manufacture security.. It too vulnerable.
Old 04-12-2017 | 05:23 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
I don't get what "remove the start button means"

Is this engine start on the dashboard or what?
Old 04-12-2017 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
[QUOTE=Palpatine;7112214]We are reading... and we're replying with our opinions and options.

The Faraday box/cage/bag is just another option for people to use. I provided that solution from research that I did... because I was listening... and since it has not been suggested before, [U]it's not repetition

Take off the hoodie.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 04-12-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2017 | 02:31 AM

Evo X, C63S Edition 1 Coupe,
Really sorry to hear about your loss. I've heard good things about the Ghost product by Autowatch.

Check out the product on their website and YouTube. This should stop your car being driven away with or without the key.

It's competitively priced too. I've got a car security contact in Bromley (his place is called Bromley car audio who will answer questions and fit also.

Scary stuff this new way of stealing cars!
Old 04-13-2017 | 12:50 PM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by Gurj84
Really sorry to hear about your loss. I've heard good things about the Ghost product by Autowatch.

Check out the product on their website and YouTube. This should stop your car being driven away with or without the key.

It's competitively priced too. I've got a car security contact in Bromley (his place is called Bromley car audio who will answer questions and fit also.

Scary stuff this new way of stealing cars!
is this available in the U.S.A

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning