Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo X, C63S Edition 1 Coupe,
The company is UK based so I'm not sure if they supply the US.

I've emailed them to ask the question and will let you know what they say.

I think the product would work with any market variant of the car since the technology is the same regardless of the market it's sold, but fitting might be more difficult if they don't have a distribution network of installers.

Will update once I've heard back from them.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
A couple of news articles on this type of theft. One from the Daily Mail about a year ago: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ic-device.html

And another from the US publication Autoweek in late 2016: http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...be-theft-proof

Note the Daily Mail article describes the device as being in two parts and the theft accomplished by a two man team. Sounds awfully like the experience of the OP.

A biscuit tin makes a fine Faraday cage as well, no need to purchase anything fancy.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
I did some quick research on Ghost by Autowatch. I don't see a US distributor (yet), but it does seem to be pretty clever in that it seems to be undetectable. Some feedback from ppl who have it: http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/16...t-immobiliser/

Biggest issue is, it can't be turned off. So if you take your car in for service, or the Valet parks it, you'd pretty much have to give them your code (even if you change it afterward, you've let someone know your car has a code, which is more info than I'd like to reveal) cuz otherwise they can't start the car without your car or your phone (Bluetooth connection). That's a big oversight IMO...
Old 04-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2015 C63S
No you can set it on valet mode which means it is inactive unless you drive it over a certain speed.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by yh007x
No you can set it on valet mode which means it is inactive unless you drive it over a certain speed.
Valet mode disengages once the car is driven over 30mph for over 3 mins. So if its taken in for service, and the tech test drives it (eg he drives it first), he won't be able to get it outta the bay after the repair. Or if he test drives it after the repair, the porter won't be able to pick up the car to bring it to you.

Again, similar situation if Valet parks it. He may be able to park it, but depending on where/how he drives/parks the car, he may not be able to bring the car back to you...(some Valet parking is off-site).
Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 PM

MY2015 C63S
Well i don't know about the US. But anyone driving your car shouldn't need to drive it over 30mph, unless the issue you have is related to a certain speed. I.e if you send your car in for an annual service it shouldn't be driven about a few mph.

Regarding your valet. You make it clear not to drive it fast. Simples
Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Hello everyone.

I thought I would share the recent theft of my 2015 C63s Edition 1 Car with you and the warning of owning a key less car.

The car was stolen in the early hours of the 6th April from Woodford Green in London. I have CCTV and the thief's just walk up to the car, unlocks it and drives it away. I am not sure if they had a copy of the key since the car was in the Loughton dealership 2 weeks back. Or they are the radio codes for my particular car.

Another guy is seen standing in front of our house door, to prevent any interruption of the car being stolen.

It was taking in 60 seconds!!!

I thought I would share my story. I am pretty gutted to have lost that car.
Oh man. So sorry to hear about your car being stolen, especially right in front of your house. I hope the suckers get caught, And good luck on getting your car recovered or replaced. What are the police doing to help? Do keep us updated on your insurance claim status.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 Wagon
Here's an X5 being stolen using a range extender.
http://nzh.tw/11847669
Old 04-29-2017, 06:08 PM

That's seriously alarming...and very troubling...
Old 04-29-2017, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
It's fairly certain in this world that there will always be thieves, and you will never be able to protect yourself or your belongings. It's a simple fact.

The best thing to do? Let it go. It happens, it's gone. Don't overturn your life because of this. Collect the insurance money and go buy another one or something else you want to drive. Find a way to get a garage (or somewhere) so your car is safe at night when it's most vulnerable.

All the things in this thread talk about driving off in your car. It's also very easy just to bring a tow truck and tow your car. The tipping/jacking alarm? Ok, just lift your car four corners at a time and put it on wheelies. I've also seen those tow trucks in Europe that have hoists and they just pick up your car as if it was picking up a trash can.

Nothing is perfect in this world. Buy another car. Add stuff if it makes you feel better, but a thief who really wants your car will come get it. Don't confront the guy at the door. Shoot him through the window if necessary when he least expects it.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:39 AM

MY2015 C63S
Originally Posted by Viper98912
It's fairly certain in this world that there will always be thieves, and you will never be able to protect yourself or your belongings. It's a simple fact.

The best thing to do? Let it go. It happens, it's gone. Don't overturn your life because of this. Collect the insurance money and go buy another one or something else you want to drive. Find a way to get a garage (or somewhere) so your car is safe at night when it's most vulnerable.

All the things in this thread talk about driving off in your car. It's also very easy just to bring a tow truck and tow your car. The tipping/jacking alarm? Ok, just lift your car four corners at a time and put it on wheelies. I've also seen those tow trucks in Europe that have hoists and they just pick up your car as if it was picking up a trash can.

Nothing is perfect in this world. Buy another car. Add stuff if it makes you feel better, but a thief who really wants your car will come get it. Don't confront the guy at the door. Shoot him through the window if necessary when he least expects it.
Yeah but in a resident area like ours, i wouldn't hestitate for a second asking why a car was being taken that way. the towing your car method is a growing method of stealing your car in the area. I cannot accept that we just must just accept this and collect the insurance. My insurnace is going to hurt me for the next 5 years because of this. So when I do decide to replace this car, i will make more effort of making it harder to steal. Yes ppl may view it as OTT, but I would rather make it as hard as possible for someone to steal it.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:40 AM

MY2015 C63S
Originally Posted by MarkC63
Here's an X5 being stolen using a range extender.
http://nzh.tw/11847669
There have been a few of these type of crimes being reported in the press recently (with cctv's). I am going down the route of getting an aftermarket immboliser. The manufacture secuirty seems to be too easy to overcome.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Gurj84
The company is UK based so I'm not sure if they supply the US.

I've emailed them to ask the question and will let you know what they say.

I think the product would work with any market variant of the car since the technology is the same regardless of the market it's sold, but fitting might be more difficult if they don't have a distribution network of installers.

Will update once I've heard back from them.
I emailed them, too. No response.
Did you get anything???
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Yeah but in a resident area like ours, i wouldn't hestitate for a second asking why a car was being taken that way. the towing your car method is a growing method of stealing your car in the area. I cannot accept that we just must just accept this and collect the insurance. My insurnace is going to hurt me for the next 5 years because of this. So when I do decide to replace this car, i will make more effort of making it harder to steal. Yes ppl may view it as OTT, but I would rather make it as hard as possible for someone to steal it.
I agree that making it harder to steal is a good idea. But remember with every level of going farther and farther, things get riskier and riskier. Don't get to the point where now you're stressed out with a rifle sitting at your bedroom window at night, not being able to sleep. Much less get to the point where you go confront the guy, he has a weapon, and you now have a serious spur of the moment problem. No commodity is worth losing your life.

Just saying...

And best of luck, it truly does stink that this happened.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Viper98912

Nothing is perfect in this world. Buy another car. Add stuff if it makes you feel better, but a thief who really wants your car will come get it. Don't confront the guy at the door.
Generally, you're right. But some of us may be very attached to our vehicles. So while I can't be in complete control, I definitely wanna go out of my way to take the most reasonable countermeasures I can to help protect against the current methods of theft available. And if it STILL gets stolen, well hey, I did my best. But just giving up and saying "hey if it happens, it happens" isn't an attitude I really take with anything. I gotta do my part too...

Also, yh007x mentioned, even if your insurance states they won't jack up your rates due to THIS theft, wait until you do ANYTHING else (even run a stop sign) and your rates will go through the roof. And they *never* come back down...

Shoot him through the window if necessary when he least expects it.
That's really really bad advice. At least here in the US, I can tell you that's 100% illegal in pretty much every state (minus Texas I think, in which being on your property is trespassing, and grounds to shoot). Every other state, there are so many additional requirements that must be met before you can shoot someone, most of which include them being IN your house, and with a weapon in hand. Most states even have a duty to retreat law. Here in FL, we have the Castle Doctrine, so you can shoot to kill upon entry to your house. But in the garage or out on the driveway/street...no way. Just ask this guy: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1116747. He didn't end up with charges against him because luck of the draw, the thief took a plea deal to testify in another case, which included dropping the charges against the FBI agent. Why? Cuz you can't take a life to prevent loss of property. And you can't shoot someone who isn't threatening your life.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Just posted on Jalopnik...

http://jalopnik.com/chinese-hackers-...-of-1794757093
Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Also, yh007x mentioned, even if your insurance states they won't jack up your rates due to THIS theft, wait until you do ANYTHING else (even run a stop sign) and your rates will go through the roof. And they *never* come back down...
I can't speak to how insurance premiums are determined around the world, or for the other 49 states for that matter, but I do sell auto insurance in California... And I can tell you that it's HIGHLY regulated.

Your premiums will NOT increase because​ your car got stolen... Period.

And to say that they'll raise your rates more, to make up for a previous stolen vehicle, because you got a moving violation or had an at-fault accident, is absolutely ludicrous.

I do agree with taking extra precautions to protect your baby though... Just because a stolen vehicle is covered, and also considered a non at-fault loss, I am attached to my car and would be super bummed if some degenerate stole it.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 AM

California is a different animal altogether when it comes to pretty much everything. So comparing it with any other state is a moot point. Pick up ANY contract (warranty, lease, etc), and go through the fine print. EVERY ONE will have a "California buyers" section for your own unique rules and restrictions lol.

Having said that, so what they do is, they don't raise your premium for something they technically aren't allowed to raise your premium for. But when you have any subsequent issue, they "recategorize" you as a "higher risk" driver that requires an increased premium. Or they may even drop you altogether. Oldest trick in the book...
Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 AM

MY2015 C63S
just an update. Insurance have confirmed payout, so going through that process. Now it is case a matter of deciding what to do next
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
just an update. Insurance have confirmed payout, so going through that process. Now it is case a matter of deciding what to do next
Good for you. I am glad the insurance company has at least accepted liability. Hopefully they'll give you the full value of your vehicle?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:43 AM

MY2015 C63S
Yeah i have back to invoice gap, so it is not as painful as i feared. I would rather have the car back TBH. But onwards and upwards
Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo X, C63S Edition 1 Coupe,
Originally Posted by auditoamg
I emailed them, too. No response.
Did you get anything???
I never heard back from them

Good news about the insurance paying out and having gap makes a difference too! All the best bud
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Gurj84
I never heard back from them

Good news about the insurance paying out and having gap makes a difference too! All the best bud
Great business people....
Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Great business people....
same here emailed them and never herd back.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 c63s coupe
Me too, tried to reach them through Facebook messenger. Got a reply that they were off for Easter, but then nothing afterward. Anyone know of a similar product in the states?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning