Sponsored by:

ECU Relocation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
ECU Relocation

There are quite a few tuned C63's on the road now and we all know the ECU is not a quick job to pull and re-fit.

Has anyone one relocated their ECU for easier access in the future?

A couple of companies I've spoken to have confirmed this can be done but Is there anyone out there that has done this?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Damn all roads leed to no answers either ��
Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
AMG GTR
Picture

ECU Relocation-img_3081.jpg

ECU Relocation-img_3082.jpg
Here is a couple pictures of mine. It fits there really snug. No need for a bracket. Also there is enough slack in the harness, to reposition it here. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM

2020GLC63
That you! That looks great, did you have to unclip any other brackets to allow the harness to be able to move up there? Mine seems like there is no way it will bend that far, thinking its attached somewhere.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Word of caution for those relocating, these modern ECU's NEED lots of cooling. They don't have an internal fan so they rely on air cooling to keep temps in check. These are basically PC's in a metal box, if they don't get sufficient airflow, you will cook them.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by brad65ford
That you! That looks great, did you have to unclip any other brackets to allow the harness to be able to move up there? Mine seems like there is no way it will bend that far, thinking its attached somewhere.
yes the harness is zip tied in several locations. some you can't see. You have to feel along it, then cut them free, You have to remove the air intake, then just under it and to the right you should remove another plastic cover, to get at the harness,
Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 AM

2020GLC63
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Word of caution for those relocating, these modern ECU's NEED lots of cooling. They don't have an internal fan so they rely on air cooling to keep temps in check. These are basically PC's in a metal box, if they don't get sufficient airflow, you will cook them.
Agree it gets hot under there, I know the piggy back tuners there were mentioned issues. Has there been issues reported with the Stock ECU and heat related problems when relocated to this area?

Originally Posted by NSAMG
yes the harness is zip tied in several locations. some you can't see. You have to feel along it, then cut them free, You have to remove the air intake, then just under it and to the right you should remove another plastic cover, to get at the harness,
Awesome that was what i was thinking, those damn zip ties are a pain in the butt. Thank you for posting this.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM

2020GLC63
brack holding ECU wires at top

Well looking closer it seems there isn't any zip ties yet there is a bracket holding the ECU wire loom together and whats preventing the relocation. Looks like there is one (hopefully) bolt holding this but to get to it means removing the fan. Just amazes me none of this stuff has been posted before, most written words on this process isn't accurate. Attached is a photo of where i'm at pointing to the bracket.

ECU Relocation-ecu-20braking_1.jpg
Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM

AMG GTR
I have not experienced any issues. 5000 km since relocate. With a couple 14 hour road trips in there. I live in Canada, so won't experience the heat some of you guys, get down south.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM

2020GLC63
Attachment 359025

Attachment 359026
Here is a couple pictures of mine. It fits there really snug. No need for a bracket. Also there is enough slack in the harness, to reposition it here. Hope this helps.

They are up in there finally. But looking at your photo you have a lot more slack them mine. Did you do yours? If so what did you take apart in order to get more slack.

edit: Needed to cut a little off the black wire shroud bracket, once that was done there is pleanty of room. What a crappy job, i would rather have pulled the trans honestly.

Last edited by brad65ford; 07-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:39 PM

AMG GTR
They are up in there finally. But looking at your photo you have a lot more slack them mine. Did you do yours? If so what did you take apart in order to get more slack.

edit: Needed to cut a little off the black wire shroud bracket, once that was done there is pleanty of room. What a crappy job, i would rather have pulled the trans honestly.
Ok glad you figured out. I was with my mechanic when he replaced it. He did say it was a PITA .
Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 PM

2020GLC63
Wondering how to move the coolant res more to the left. I've attempted to find a way to remove it but there seems to be a trick to it. Hopefully if i find a way to remove this we can come up with a cleaner looking mounting for the ECU. Right now it being crammed in between the intake hose and the coolant res looks cheesy. Need to spend some time on this relocate. Still surprised i'm the only one wondering this too or it hasn't been created yet. You guys see where the AMG GT's computer is? Its in the same location but vertical. oh well more mods
The following users liked this post:
JRSJR65 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Mine was relocated by EC in Houston. Simple enough relocation but it was just like the above pictures crammed in between air box duct and coolant reservoir and unsecured.
I took my car to a local MB dealer and specifically to a tech that is very familiar with my car (see mods). The reason I took it in was to chase down those annoying rattles the C63S is plagued with. We found the ECU basically "loose" unsecured and making noise from vibration at the relocation on top of the engine. I mean a very noticeable rattle. He relocated the ECU to its original factory location and that did eliminate that particular noise issue.
As preciously stated this is a computer and it needs a secure permanent location that is well ventilated and properly mounted to absorb vibration. Until an improved permanent relocation method is developed I plan to stick with the original design installation.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 AM

2020GLC63
Good for you! Personally don't have any desire to move it back to the orginal spot since it may be needed to get to get for reflashing. Just haven't had time to create a mount and a way to shift over the coolant tank more to the left. Thinking once I figure out how to move that damn thing will use the existing mount in a way it can be mounted to the frame in this new location. Surprised it hasn't been done yet and again it most likely becuase that coolant tank seems to be a ***** to figure out how to move. It beein crammed in this new location that everyone is doing does look like crap imo.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Good for you! Personally don't have any desire to move it back to the orginal spot since it may be needed to get to get for reflashing. Just haven't had time to create a mount and a way to shift over the coolant tank more to the left. Thinking once I figure out how to move that damn thing will use the existing mount in a way it can be mounted to the frame in this new location. Surprised it hasn't been done yet and again it most likely becuase that coolant tank seems to be a ***** to figure out how to move. It beein crammed in this new location that everyone is doing does look like crap imo.
Agreed, not the best way so far but i am sure it can be done somehow with existing mount bracket as you said. I do need to take it in for a re-flash soon and guarantee the guys at EC won't be happy it is a PITA to remove! It'll be down again in a couple months I'll keep you posted if we find a better solution.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

2020GLC63
Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Agreed, not the best way so far but i am sure it can be done somehow with existing mount bracket as you said. I do need to take it in for a re-flash soon and guarantee the guys at EC won't be happy it is a PITA to remove! It'll be down again in a couple months I'll keep you posted if we find a better solution.
GOT IT. Just finished my hands are numb lol.

Moved it to underneath the coolant tank near the fender well, also created an alum mount that connects to the ecu and the lower coolant mounting point. Now is out of site, mounted firm and can get to in 5mins. Finally, had to create my own solution. Will post pics

Here is the bracket with the coolant tank out of the way.
ECU Relocation-img_3318.jpg

Here it is finished. Needed to move around wires till it fit with out any coolant kinky and other wires with slack. I like it better then the other way for sure, also it will say cooler here.
ECU Relocation-img_3319.jpg

Last edited by brad65ford; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM

AMG GTR
GOT IT. Just finished my hands are numb lol.

Moved it to underneath the coolant tank near the fender well, also created an alum mount that connects to the ecu and the lower coolant mounting point. Now is out of site, mounted firm and can get to in 5mins. Finally, had to create my own solution. Will post pics

Here is the bracket with the coolant tank out of the way.

Here it is finished. Needed to move around wires till it fit with out any coolant kinky and other wires with slack. I like it better then the other way for sure, also it will say cooler here.
This was going to be my winter project. Really glad you have found a better position for it. For some reason I can not open your pictures. Could you post them so we do not have to go to photobucket.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM

C63S
This was going to be my winter project. Really glad you have found a better position for it. For some reason I can not open your pictures. Could you post them so we do not have to go to photobucket.
+1
Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Perhaps if we could get a vendor to fabricate an extension adapter for the ECU, that would give us more room to re-locate it to an optimum location. Just thinking out loud.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by amg8
Perhaps if we could get a vendor to fabricate an extension adapter for the ECU, that would give us more room to re-locate it to an optimum location. Just thinking out loud.
+1
Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 PM

AMG GTR
Brad seeing that you have actually hands on experience. With this removal and relocate. Maybe you could write up a real world procedure, accompanied with some photo's. I am sure the guys that are going to attempt this in the future, would appreciate it
Old 07-27-2017, 07:33 PM

2020GLC63
Brad seeing that you have actually hands on experience. With this removal and relocate. Maybe you could write up a real world procedure, accompanied with some photo's. I am sure the guys that are going to attempt this in the future, would appreciate it
I should or even a video, thought about it. Things now in days seems to be all about video more so then words and pics' lol. This was a pain in the butt job which most would agree since there is just no room to worth with anyway and the ecu cables are connected to the motor so tightly. But its great to see people willing to do stuff like this on their own since thats really what modding and feeling good about your car since you did it yourself. Just got back from some hammer time. So far so good, looks so much better then before, i really hated the look of the ECU crammed inbetween the intake pushing the coolant tank over. If i worked at my old machine shop I'd make a fewbounce of these brackets up (nicer looking of course) to offer you guys.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 PM

C63S
I should or even a video, thought about it. Things now in days seems to be all about video more so then words and pics' lol. This was a pain in the butt job which most would agree since there is just no room to worth with anyway and the ecu cables are connected to the motor so tightly. But its great to see people willing to do stuff like this on their own since thats really what modding and feeling good about your car since you did it yourself. Just got back from some hammer time. So far so good, looks so much better then before, i really hated the look of the ECU crammed inbetween the intake pushing the coolant tank over. If i worked at my old machine shop I'd make a fewbounce of these brackets up (nicer looking of course) to offer you guys.
Hanging out to see these pics...

Can you attach them as I can't view them.

Great job job tackling this mod as I'm sure once someone releases a relocation kit there will be a lot of interest in it.

My my thoughts are that it needs to be relocated to somewhere unseen so not noticeable when going for a basic service.

Get those pictures up.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:05 PM

2020GLC63
Can anyone see pics? I'd photo bucket not supported?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S
Can anyone see pics? I'd photo bucket not supported?
Are you able to post pics or a link to pics?
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Relocation