Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
I have **** continentals on my car stock.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by BallzOne
Ok here's my vid. Sorry, not the greatest video but it'll work for our purposes. Sport+, ESC on, automatic shifting. Comparing to yours it looks like we both end up in the same place coming out of 1st gear around 38mph. But my traction control kicks in before 3k. Are you using super sticky tires? I've got the stock Dunlop Sport Max RT on there.

https://youtu.be/BcFvXmhPxkk

https://youtu.be/MFWx_1lsYKw
Thank youfor posting the videos!

first of all, I notice your ESC kicking in at 2900 rpm which is unheard of for us who feel the negative effects of the update. Second, I see in the slow mo video that your boost never maxes out, I believe that's because ESC is retarding the engine and doesn't allow it to do so. I know it's a pain, but I'd be curious to see those videos again with ESC off.

Just FYI, to be transparent, I'm running brand new OEM size (265) Pilot Super Sports on mine.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:07 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by jkob5
any proof of this? I'm skeptic.
I think this is in the manual. I'm one of those freaks who actually RTFM and I swear I remember reading this in there.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by jkob5
any proof of this? I'm skeptic.
I can't find it in a press release but it came from Tobias Moers during the Coupe press drives:

No matter which drive mode you’re in, it’s worth experimenting with the manual transmission mode (the button is on the center console). Manual mode doesn’t just put more control at your fingertips, AMG boss Tobias Moers explained -- after our turn at the track, naturally. It impacts throttle mapping, engine braking and more, and relies on parameters including lateral acceleration to coax “behavior more like a naturally aspirated engine” from the twin-turbo V8.

In theory, this makes the otherwise abrupt low-RPM torque blast more linear. So if you did hypothetically put the car in race and turn traction and ESP totally off, the manual mode’s predictable power delivery and more precise throttle modulation should help keep you from going sideways immediately.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...pe-first-drive

Another:

In manual transmission mode, meanwhile, you get more control as it shifts (no pun intended) throttle mapping to deliver more linear acceleration, in effect making the twin-turbo V8 act more like a naturally aspirated engine; there’s also a change in how the engine braking kicks in, among other things.

Speaking with Mercedes-AMG chairman Tobias Moers, he made it clear that flipping over to the manual transmission mode does more than give you control over gear changes, and after my day at the track I can see just what he means.

https://www.slashgear.com/2017-merce...rive-05416473/
Old 07-06-2017, 04:35 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I can't find it in a press release but it came from Tobias Moers during the Coupe press drives:

No matter which drive mode you’re in, it’s worth experimenting with the manual transmission mode (the button is on the center console). Manual mode doesn’t just put more control at your fingertips, AMG boss Tobias Moers explained -- after our turn at the track, naturally. It impacts throttle mapping, engine braking and more, and relies on parameters including lateral acceleration to coax “behavior more like a naturally aspirated engine” from the twin-turbo V8.

In theory, this makes the otherwise abrupt low-RPM torque blast more linear. So if you did hypothetically put the car in race and turn traction and ESP totally off, the manual mode’s predictable power delivery and more precise throttle modulation should help keep you from going sideways immediately.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...pe-first-drive

Another:

In manual transmission mode, meanwhile, you get more control as it shifts (no pun intended) throttle mapping to deliver more linear acceleration, in effect making the twin-turbo V8 act more like a naturally aspirated engine; there’s also a change in how the engine braking kicks in, among other things.

Speaking with Mercedes-AMG chairman Tobias Moers, he made it clear that flipping over to the manual transmission mode does more than give you control over gear changes, and after my day at the track I can see just what he means.

https://www.slashgear.com/2017-merce...rive-05416473/
Thanks for the info! Again, the issue i'm having is the difference felt between manual mode (which is what i always drive in) before the update, and manual mode after the update. It's a significant difference.

But this could explain why it feels slightly better in automatic mode.

Bottom line though, there is still an issue with the update. It shouldn't have changed our cars this significantly. Now in manual mode power delivery is anything but linear! but before it was quite linear and predictable but also more brutal.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

In theory, this makes the otherwise abrupt low-RPM torque blast more linear.
Well, they sure as hell fixed that problem lol. Thanks for 0 torque below 4K rpm!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Well, they sure as hell fixed that problem lol. Thanks for 0 torque below 4K rpm!
LOL - just what I was thinking!!!!!
Great minds think...
Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
i did some testing and my car post update makes full boost at 3000rpm (race mode esc off) and really do i care? not really if im trying to get off the line fast im going to launch it. also i have no way of knowing if this is any different than a pre update car since at that point i did not care to check either. if i can i will try to get my hands on a pre update car for a direct comparison so everyone can have a direct yes or no if it changed anything or if its a placebo.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Thank youfor posting the videos!

first of all, I notice your ESC kicking in at 2900 rpm which is unheard of for us who feel the negative effects of the update. Second, I see in the slow mo video that your boost never maxes out, I believe that's because ESC is retarding the engine and doesn't allow it to do so. I know it's a pain, but I'd be curious to see those videos again with ESC off.

Just FYI, to be transparent, I'm running brand new OEM size (265) Pilot Super Sports on mine.
I'm running + sized PSS's and have the same issue as you EZ....
Regardless of my plus sizing, the only way I can get the ESC to come on is to literally mash the throttle and wait for the completely NON-linear boost curve to hit its peak, around 4k RPMs.
Even then, it doesn't pin me, the way it did before.

I drove a friend during break-in and he was amazed, just keeping it below 4k RPMs.
Now, he wouldn't be amazed at all, compared to his 911S4.

I'm pretty frustrated.

I would also like to see those videos posted without ESC on, to compare.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Mazdaspeed
Are you wanting race with ESC off or Sport+ with ESC off?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 PM

2016 C63S
Are you wanting race with ESC off or Sport+ with ESC off?
Sport + is great. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Mazdaspeed
Realtime

Slo Mo

Old 07-07-2017, 03:11 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Thanks for the videos!

Do you have the exhaust/transmission update done to your car?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Mazdaspeed
Yes
Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
There is no way my car even operates like THIS!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Modio1234
i did some testing and my car post update makes full boost at 3000rpm (race mode esc off) and really do i care? not really if im trying to get off the line fast im going to launch it. also i have no way of knowing if this is any different than a pre update car since at that point i did not care to check either. if i can i will try to get my hands on a pre update car for a direct comparison so everyone can have a direct yes or no if it changed anything or if its a placebo.
I'm trying to do the same thing, alas, my luck is not holding.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C63s
Have you guys with the problem tried turning traction control fully off? I've noticed mine is really intrusive, turning it off makes the car feel like a different animal.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by DarkProphet
Have you guys with the problem tried turning traction control fully off? I've noticed mine is really intrusive, turning it off makes the car feel like a different animal.
Yes.
I even went so far as race mode and forcibly confirmed again it was off, before testing.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C63s
Race mode only defaults to sport handling mode, which keeps traction control on. You want fully off (where you have to hold the button for a few seconds). Just in case someone doesn't know.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:06 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by DarkProphet
Race mode only defaults to sport handling mode, which keeps traction control on. You want fully off (where you have to hold the button for a few seconds). Just in case someone doesn't know.
Yes, as you can see in everyone's videos in this thread, ESC is disabled in many of the trials.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
What is the dealership saying about the issue?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
What is the dealership saying about the issue?
Nothing. They said they would open up a TIPS report about it. I test drove a brand new c63s that they let me test and it felt exactly the same as mine does. Hopefully AMG notices this and they come out with another update soon to get it back to how it was before. If the dealership actually opens a TIPS report I will post it so others can reference it when speaking to their dealer.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
For those of you who are skeptics about the update see the below thread. It's causing some to sell their car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...t-pasture.html
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
We all know our frustrated about your updated exhaust situations (surprised it hasn't been resolved yet) but one would ask the question, if you were happy originally why did you change it? Yes I'm busting your ***** Remember altering a car is a slippery slope.

If your looking for everyone to believe or disbelieve you I don't think that will help honestly.

Options:

Talk to tuners since a tune might be all you need and or at least you'll see what the dyno has to say (suggest doing a stock dyno first) see if something is off. We are talking 60-80 bucks for a dyno and its always fun to see what they make and how they are running.

Regarding being happy with the performance of these c63s from stop dead and not making boost right away... Well not having done the exhaust tune update myself i do believe they are slow on throttle tip in, totally different feeling then a n/a or super charged car. I've own other twin turbo (twin scroll) that perform much better with throttle tip in feel. Personally i think these C63s are slow stock (doggy feeling). Merc surely didn't give us the goodies that are seen in the 100-120k cars like twin scroll setups.

Now do something, you already made one mod buy going to the dealer to alter your exhaust for a snap crackle pop sounds. Keep going or trader her in or leave it at the dealer till they find something wrong. Or even find someone in your area that has a c63s and let them drive you ride see if they believe it feel correct or not right.

Sadly I believe your not happy with the performance or feel of the car which i totally hear you. Personally i'm going to tune/exhaust or even work on turbo upgrades to see if it will please me since i'm not happy with it as is. Honestly waiting for Merc or other to answer the fix is like waiting for an OBD11 flash tuning, low cost custom intake kit, or twin scroll turbo upgrade for these cars. Its just such a small market, nothing like mustangs or other domestic mass produced hot rods with tons of options.

Last edited by brad65ford; 07-10-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Gee this sounds like BMW wastevgate fix that nurtured the cars. I know I was one of the pioneers. The original software was registering 375HP but after the update barely 330 HP, and w were all mad. After I while Ethusiasts started recruiting fir a class action suit. BMW eventually admitted to neutering the car and asked those interested to go back in for reflash restoring the old feel. Now Mercedes at it too? Once they start loosing sales and get feedback about unhappy customers they will rectify it fast. Just like BMW did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update