Sponsored by:

Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update

So I had a hunch that the car felt wimpy off the line after the exhaust and TCU update (see the popular dedicated thread about that).

Today I messed with the car some more and I'm now certain that update neutered the car. The "test" I did was to put the car in Sport + and slam the throttle to the floor and release it. In the pre-software update car (and my old W204, God bless it), if you mashed the throttle in 1st gear in Sport, all hell would instantly break lose with the tires. Now, in this current state, I can literally floor the gas pedal and come off of it and the car does not BUDGE. I even was doing it in my garage and had no fear or moving anywhere and hitting anything!

The exhaust pops are fun but not at the expense of feeling like I'm driving a single turbo Supra where you mash the gas, take a look around and check your phone for texts, then all of the sudden start flying forward.

Probably will get a letter together to Mercedes/AMG soon and tell them to work on this. I had success with my BMW 335i in 2007/8 when they ruined the boost programming to "fix" the wastegate issue and actually got them to correct the code and fix the car. Hopefully Mercedes is as responsive.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
This is the reason why I do not want the update on my car .
Love the instant throttle response and the ability to burn some rubber if I choose .
I'll wait till they actually correct fly by wire throttle tables , and boost tables.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
So I had a hunch that the car felt wimpy off the line after the exhaust and TCU update (see the popular dedicated thread about that).

Today I messed with the car some more and I'm now certain that update neutered the car. The "test" I did was to put the car in Sport + and slam the throttle to the floor and release it. In the pre-software update car (and my old W204, God bless it), if you mashed the throttle in 1st gear in Sport, all hell would instantly break lose with the tires. Now, in this current state, I can literally floor the gas pedal and come off of it and the car does not BUDGE. I even was doing it in my garage and had no fear or moving anywhere and hitting anything!

The exhaust pops are fun but not at the expense of feeling like I'm driving a single turbo Supra where you mash the gas, take a look around and check your phone for texts, then all of the sudden start flying forward.

Probably will get a letter together to Mercedes/AMG soon and tell them to work on this. I had success with my BMW 335i in 2007/8 when they ruined the boost programming to "fix" the wastegate issue and actually got them to correct the code and fix the car. Hopefully Mercedes is as responsive.
Post the issue on AMG Owners Club. Send me the link and I'll add my .02c. AMG definitely reads that forum.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
I was able to correct this with a Pedal Commander. I actually bought it when I got the car and left it off as the old way the car was set up didn't need it. After the update I turned it back on and it's works famously. Takes some trying used to to prevent a jerky acceleration but it's well worth it.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Mazdaspeed
I don't know guys, I have the update and if I tried the pedal mashing in my garage I'd be plowing through some walls. My pedal will immediately spin the tires if I mash it. Maybe you have some other problem going on coincidental with the update?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by BallzOne
I don't know guys, I have the update and if I tried the pedal mashing in my garage I'd be plowing through some walls. My pedal will immediately spin the tires if I mash it. Maybe you have some other problem going on coincidental with the update?
I'm jealous.

Just to clarify, when I say mash I'm really talking about a slap. As fast as possible flooring and releasing. It's a good quick test of how much boost lag is in a car from a stop.

Obviously don't try it in your garage, but give it a try in a safe area.

It could also be helpful to post some videos, in lieu of being able to data log. It would be helpful to see a full throttle, first gear Sport + acceleration from a stop with no brake boosting. I can video my dashboard and upload one sometime next week. What you'll see is calmness...no ESC light flashing, no tire squeal or hop, no sawing the wheel to stay straight.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
I'm jealous.

Just to clarify, when I say mash I'm really talking about a slap. As fast as possible flooring and releasing. It's a good quick test of how much boost lag is in a car from a stop.

Obviously don't try it in your garage, but give it a try in a safe area.

It could also be helpful to post some videos, in lieu of being able to data log. It would be helpful to see a full throttle, first gear Sport + acceleration from a stop with no brake boosting. I can video my dashboard and upload one sometime next week. What you'll see is calmness...no ESC light flashing, no tire squeal or hop, no sawing the wheel to stay straight.
Its not a boost lag issue. Try turning your traction control off and doing it.

There is no turbo on earth that will spool doing what you are describing.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Dthquazi

I think what we are all saying is that post the update, the car has more lag.
Regardless of how the OP described his testing process, the resulting feel in the car is significantly more lag than previously.

I have the same issue: Car feels extremely heavy now, off the line.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG c63s
I has similar issues after having some work done on my car. The car felt like the emergency break was on in lower gears and the turbo lag was terrible.
It turned out that some the voltages were low. He said this can be caused by a number of things but though that the body shop that did the work might have let the battery drain too much.
It ended up being an easy fix. I think he said all that was needed was a system reboot.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by mazyo
I has similar issues after having some work done on my car. The car felt like the emergency break was on in lower gears and the turbo lag was terrible.
It turned out that some the voltages were low. He said this can be caused by a number of things but though that the body shop that did the work might have let the battery drain too much.
It ended up being an easy fix. I think he said all that was needed was a system reboot.
Did the dealer indicate how they did the reset???
It would interesting to give that a try.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:19 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Dthquazi

ESC is fully disabled and the car doesn't break them loose. As I mentioned, zero ESC flashing when it is left on. NOT a traction issue.

Also, while I do agree that no car can instantly boost, all I'm saying is that before the software update, the car was responsive and would jump in Sport+ when the throttle was pressed. Now it's lazy. It's all in the throttle calibration I'm sure.

Last edited by ezatnova; 06-26-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Mazdaspeed
ESC is fully disabled and the car doesn't break them loose. As I mentioned, zero ESC flashing when it is left on. NOT a traction issue.

Also, while I do agree that no car can instantly boost, all I'm saying is that before the software update, the car was responsive and would jump in Sport+ when the throttle was pressed. Now it's lazy. It's all in the throttle calibration I'm sure.
Doesn't break loose until when? 3k rpm? 4k? Never? In sport+ my traction control kicks in almost instantly when I floor it. I'll try to get a vid soon.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 PM

2016 C63S
Doesn't break loose until when? 3k rpm? 4k? Never? In sport+ my traction control kicks in almost instantly when I floor it. I'll try to get a vid soon.
Never! That's what we're saying. It's really obvious that there's a genuine issue.

Honesty, second gear starts to pick up some momentum and third is decent, but first is just lethargic all the way through. Zero traction intervention (or spinning with ESC on sport or disabled)

I wrote Mercedes two days ago and have not heard back. I'll write again or call next week but in the end I may talk to Dinan and see if they can resolve this by just fixing AMG's failure here.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Never! That's what we're saying. It's really obvious that there's a genuine issue.

Honesty, second gear starts to pick up some momentum and third is decent, but first is just lethargic all the way through. Zero traction intervention (or spinning with ESC on sport or disabled)

I wrote Mercedes two days ago and have not heard back. I'll write again or call next week but in the end I may talk to Dinan and see if they can resolve this by just fixing AMG's failure here.

Put your gauge screen on the AMG page that has the boost bar, and watch what it does when you are experiencing the issue.

I'm just wondering if that will show that you are not getting full boost. If that's the case, then you can start diagnosing what the issue is (turbo mechanical issue, calibration/software issue, etc).
Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Mazdaspeed

Ok, yea, you have a large problem. I thought you were saying you still got all the madness to happen but just at a much delayed rate coming off the line. I'm still wondering if it isn't some other issue that is coincidental with the update because my update certainly didn't nerf the car like that.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Ok, yea, you have a large problem. I thought you were saying you still got all the madness to happen but just at a much delayed rate coming off the line. I'm still wondering if it isn't some other issue that is coincidental with the update because my update certainly didn't nerf the car like that.
Mine did...
Which is interesting.
There are several others who perceive the same issue(s).

A2A
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG c63s
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Did the dealer indicate how they did the reset???
It would interesting to give that a try.
He said that when they hooked it up to run the diagnostic it showed that the voltages were off and they just needed to be reset. I do not use Mercedes I have a private certified Mercedes mechanic that I have been using for many years.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by mazyo
He said that when they hooked it up to run the diagnostic it showed that the voltages were off and they just needed to be reset. I do not use Mercedes I have a private certified Mercedes mechanic that I have been using for many years.
OK.
Does anyone know how to do an ECU/reset without removing positive from the battery for 15+ minutes????

A2A
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S
Just got home from having multiple software updates on the car - throttle is DEFINITELY NOT "neutered" and car has less or equal "lag" under acceleration from my drive home.

+1 for updates.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
In some vehicles, it just requires a "clear codes" command issued over the OBDII port. Anyone know if this will work???
Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Ok... For any of you doubters:

I just put the car into race mode.
Mashed the throttle.
It was a full 3 seconds before the car actually kicked in the turbo.
You can feel the turbo kick in.
It's not linear, at all.
Zero tire break away.
This was NOT the case originally.

I then turned traction control off completely.
Did the same thing.
Same exact result, except that tire finally broke away at the end of second gear.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S
Works fine for me, not sure what to tell you.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Oh, one more interesting note:

I received the attached code.

P0949

Related????
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 AM

2016 C63S
Ok... For any of you doubters:

I just put the car into race mode.
Mashed the throttle.
It was a full 3 seconds before the car actually kicked in the turbo.
You can feel the turbo kick in.
It's not linear, at all.
Zero tire break away.
This was NOT the case originally.

I then turned traction control off completely.
Did the same thing.
Same exact result, except that tire finally broke away at the end of second gear.
yep, identical for me. Zero boost or traction issues all through first and well into second.

Something is definitely very very wrong with the update.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 AM

2016 C63S
Oh, one more interesting note:

I received the attached code.

P0949

Related????
Did you get a CEL or did you find it with a scanner?

Any plans on taking it to the dealer for either the code or the update issues?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update