Sponsored by:

Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by auditoamg
So, there are ALWAYS multiple software versions for car xCU computers as a result of varying manufacturers for parts, locations, revisions of parts, etc.
In today's automotive space, computers make it easy to track the specifics of those requirements based on VIN back to what was put into the cars during manufacture, so they know what versions of software are appropriate.

In MY case, I wasn't necessarily complaining about hard shifting, but the exhaust note was different from the vehicle I test drove.
My car was also delivered in Nov2017 and is the same - a C63S coupe.
The issue for me is, the software didn't apply to my VIN.
I kinda sweet talked my way into getting it with the dealer....

I now regret, wholeheartedly, this decision.

I believe my problem is that the software doesn't apply.... Yes, my car had the "ruined" exhaust note from the factory, but they hadn't yet developed a version for my car, I suspect.
I don't know if they were even working on one for my vehicle, but alas, I'm now screwed....

That's just one theory.

The other theory is the this update helped to manifest an underlying problem in the vehicle through the changes it incorporates.
Did your car not pop on decel, and that's why you pushed for the software? Mine pops on decel and when revving. Did yours not do this?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
I believe my problem is that the software doesn't apply.... Yes, my car had the "ruined" exhaust note from the factory, but they hadn't yet developed a version for my car, I suspect.
The counter to that is my October 2015 build has the same issues now.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Vassago
I have read through this whole thread and I am intrigued by the findings. My car was delivered in November of 2017 its a the 2017 C63s coupe; I had the transmission software upgrade done to fix the hard shifts from 3rd to 4th. I am not aware if i had any other software updates but i am sure they did them all since the car needed the trans update. I have felt no difference in performance and if I stomp on the gas from a stop in sport or sport + with traction on sport the tires will definitely spin. Also if going around a corner at low speed and i goose the gas the rear end breaks free easily. What would cause some of our cars to loose performance from this upgrade to the ECU and not all of them?
Thank you for reading the whole thread before replying!

Any chance you could take a video or two of your car from a standstill at full throttle? Something to compare to the above ones. i.e. Sport+ with ESC on, then with ESC off, floored through first gear into second. Actual speed helps because we can hear the tires breaking loose and get a sense of the speed, and then slow motion helps to really see when traction breaks and when boost builds.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
So, there are ALWAYS multiple software versions for car xCU computers as a result of varying manufacturers for parts, locations, revisions of parts, etc.
In today's automotive space, computers make it easy to track the specifics of those requirements based on VIN back to what was put into the cars during manufacture, so they know what versions of software are appropriate.

In MY case, I wasn't necessarily complaining about hard shifting, but the exhaust note was different from the vehicle I test drove.

I don't know if they were even working on one for my vehicle, but alas, I'm now screwed....

That's just one theory.

The other theory is the this update helped to manifest an underlying problem in the vehicle through the changes it incorporates.

My car is a NOV 2017 Sedan build and my dealer said the same thing with no update available.

Now im glad I didnt push them to update.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe

That's just one theory.

Question: Since the update wasn't for your vehicle, did either you or the service tech suggest just doing a full reset / reload of your ECU from the base build for your specific model? You know, like if your ECU ever needed to be replaced, for whatever reason, and the service department has to download a complete software build into the new ECU for your vehicle from the master software archive in Germany. At worse case, I would think that would at least put you back to a clean factory day one state for your ECU. It's only like a two or three hour download process from what I've read on various MB forums.

Just trying to think of any possible way around the situation you're in. As an aside, MB really seems to need to disclose all aspects of what any firmware / software update is intended to do to our vehicles, both good and bad. At least in much more detail than they apparently do now. So then the vehicle's owner can decide for themselves if they want a specific update installed.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 c63s edition 1 coupe
Sounds like this is a massive issue, especially for people like myself that have only recently bought a c63.
I have an oct/2016 build coupe edition 1 and from comparisons off youtube and this forum, sounds like my exhaust doesn't quite make the same number of crackles and pops in sports plus mode.
I'm currently on about 2000kms and will be going into the dealers to get my diff oil changed at 3000 which I would imagine is going to be in the next 2 weeks. I've driven 2000kms in 8 days of ownership.... another 1000kms is going to fly by!
I will try and get software versions of whats currently installed on my car and then compare with the new...
will also try and get some videos of WOT pulls from a stand still.... not sure if tyre spin can be heard inside the cabin though...
My exhaust sounds have been such a disappointment from day one that I've been looking at aftermarket options already! Doesn't help my mate has a c43 with the perf exhaust and sounds MUCH louder then my own car....
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by C63s1edition
Sounds like this is a massive issue, especially for people like myself that have only recently bought a c63.
I have an oct/2016 build coupe edition 1 and from comparisons off youtube and this forum, sounds like my exhaust doesn't quite make the same number of crackles and pops in sports plus mode.
I'm currently on about 2000kms and will be going into the dealers to get my diff oil changed at 3000 which I would imagine is going to be in the next 2 weeks. I've driven 2000kms in 8 days of ownership.... another 1000kms is going to fly by!
I will try and get software versions of whats currently installed on my car and then compare with the new...
will also try and get some videos of WOT pulls from a stand still.... not sure if tyre spin can be heard inside the cabin though...
My exhaust sounds have been such a disappointment from day one that I've been looking at aftermarket options already! Doesn't help my mate has a c43 with the perf exhaust and sounds MUCH louder then my own car....
Appreciate if you get some videos. You will be able to hear the tires break in the cabin pretty easily. Also it'll be evident on the tach.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
My dealer specifically told me there was no way to back out an update. End of story. No chance in hell they would even budge on that.

I did not go in for the exhaust update I went in for the trans update. They updated my car with everything. My car feels slower now. HP and TQ curve comparison might help. Yeah we all understand turbo lag etc. but it feels different end of story.

The dealer let me drive a brand new car. Felt the same as mine. My dealer said he would be opening up a TIPS report but now I can't get any information from them on the case number. MB customer service was in contact with them and they gave her some runaround answer saying that I had agreed to drive my car around more to see if it got any better.

That was not the conversation I had at all. I've had the car for 2k miles after the update, it's not gonna change. Just sad they really screwed up the beast of the car this used to be and new customers don't even know what they are missing.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Serious bro i know what your thinking, honestly i'm not fully happy with my c63s either. I feel in my heart its a dog, the stock turbo's are running out of breathe upstairs. Its great to have torque but it falls on its face and more pronouned with you do a flash/tune. The trans isn't the best either. I know our c63s are only 80k new but you get a better drive tran in a M5 or M6 IMO, more power and better trans for comparison. Shame i do not like the way those drove or look heck i actaully owned a M6 4.4L both to compare power feel and they are beasts especially when tuned, love the DCT's as well.

Have you thought about trading her in for something new / different?

Last edited by brad65ford; 07-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
If thought of it but not sure what car in this price range I would rather have... I really liked it before the update.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Tvall13
If thought of it but not sure what car in this price range I would rather have... I really liked it before the update.
I liked mine before the update, too.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by digitalnav

That's just one theory.

My car is a NOV 2017 Sedan build and my dealer said the same thing with no update available.

Now im glad I didnt push them to update.

I think the problem with both of your cars is that they haven't been built yet.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by msd3075
Lol. Maybe they went to the future and had AMG fix the software and came back. Sort of a Back to the Future deal.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by msd3075
LOL.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 AM

2016 C63 S
Does anyone have any updates to what the dealers have said in regards to this?

Thanks!

Joel
Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 c63s edition 1 coupe
I've recently taken the plunge and asked for a software update on the transmission as I've had the usual 3rd to 4th up shift clunk. The tech at the dealership advised that doing the software for the trans only and preventing engine software updates were not possible for him. Went with doing both and am happy with the result. There's definitely more noise and for me, I don't think I'm having any throttle issues as I'm losing traction all the time at most revs with traction on sports plus mode. I'm only ever in comfort mode when warming the car up in the morning for 10mins or so.... and I don't let it rev higher than 2k rpm for these warmups... so can't really say whether it's the same.
I'm in Sydney Australia, and mines a coupe. The tech also reckons the software updates for the sedan and coupe are different.... maybe that's where the issue is?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 C63 S Coupe
I brought my coupe in a few weeks ago for the rough 3rd to 4th gear change and the applicable software update was applied. The exhaust is much louder than it was prior to the update and no issues with throttle response.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
I've gotten nowhere with my dealer. I was trying to get them to open up a TIPS report but that has been very difficult to do...
Old 08-14-2017, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Tvall13
I've gotten nowhere with my dealer. I was trying to get them to open up a TIPS report but that has been very difficult to do...
Same here.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 PM

2016 C63S
The problem with the dealers is that this is the new norm. This is what's loaded on all the new cars. If you buy a 2017+, it will seem like that's how the car was meant to be and you won't know what you're missing.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
wrong post. please remove
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
The problem with the dealers is that this is the new norm. This is what's loaded on all the new cars. If you buy a 2017+, it will seem like that's how the car was meant to be and you won't know what you're missing.
Yup.... Again, we need a pre update torque curve comparison.....
Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Yup.... Again, we need a pre update torque curve comparison.....
When are you jumping on a dyno? Posted plenty of stock power curves to compare to...

ezatnova - my Coupe is a 2017 and didn't have the updated software, so I wouldn't say it's the new norm. All 2018's I assume will have the most recent software, but many early build 2017's were definitely affected with the old exhaust software.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
When are you jumping on a dyno? Posted plenty of stock power curves to compare to...

ezatnova - my Coupe is a 2017 and didn't have the updated software, so I wouldn't say it's the new norm. All 2018's I assume will have the most recent software, but many early build 2017's were definitely affected with the old exhaust software.
Unless inventory has been sitting for many months (which isn't too common for these cars) then any cars at dealerships being sold now have the new software. The switch happened at least 3 months ago on new vehicles arriving from the factory.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S Coupe 2017
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Unless inventory has been sitting for many months (which isn't too common for these cars) then any cars at dealerships being sold now have the new software. The switch happened at least 3 months ago on new vehicles arriving from the factory.
My coupe was produced in May and it most certainly has the update. It feels somewhat neutered for a 500 hp V8. I'm coming from an M3 and that car felt more powerful in lower gears even though it has 70 less of both hp and torque.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update