Sponsored by:

Throttle neutered after exhaust sound update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by usaviking
My coupe was produced in May and it most certainly has the update. It feels somewhat neutered for a 500 hp V8. I'm coming from an M3 and that car felt more powerful in lower gears even though it has 70 less of both hp and torque.
It's simply amazing that no one at a dealership or MB internal testing, or even a prominent car reviewer/magazine has called this to MB/AMG's attention.

My thought is that all the major reviews and comparos were done when the sedan and coupe launched, before the software change, and at this point there aren't many in depth ones being done anymore.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
It's simply amazing that no one at a dealership or MB internal testing, or even a prominent car reviewer/magazine has called this to MB/AMG's attention.

My thought is that all the major reviews and comparos were done when the sedan and coupe launched, before the software change, and at this point there aren't many in depth ones being done anymore.
I think that's a fair assumption.
It's going to take a Vlogger or a smaller car publication to do it....
Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG c63s
I have posted this once before but since it just happened again on Friday I figure I would mentioned it again.

I had my car detailed on Friday and the detailer's must have left the doors open for a long period of time because when I got into the car it felt "neutered", felt the the emergency break was on and the throttle response was terrible. It felt exactly as described by all of you in this thread.

I took it to my private Mercedes mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer and the voltages were low. He said they were down to about 30%. He rebooted the systems and it was fixed.

I asked my mechanic what causes this issue and he said that when the battery gets to a low enough level is goes into a sort of limp mode and the only way to fix it is to reset all the system.

I hope this helps some of you becasue I know that I could not have kept my car if it drove as it did after picking it up from the detail shop. I am lucky I have a great mechanic that knows and loves AMG (he has 10 AMG's himself).
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy_c63s (10-05-2020)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Interesting... I wonder if this will be a problem for those running dash cams off the car's battery while parked...
Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mazyo
I have posted this once before but since it just happened again on Friday I figure I would mentioned it again.

I had my car detailed on Friday and the detailer's must have left the doors open for a long period of time because when I got into the car it felt "neutered", felt the the emergency break was on and the throttle response was terrible. It felt exactly as described by all of you in this thread.

I took it to my private Mercedes mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer and the voltages were low. He said they were down to about 30%. He rebooted the systems and it was fixed.

I asked my mechanic what causes this issue and he said that when the battery gets to a low enough level is goes into a sort of limp mode and the only way to fix it is to reset all the system.

I hope this helps some of you becasue I know that I could not have kept my car if it drove as it did after picking it up from the detail shop. I am lucky I have a great mechanic that knows and loves AMG (he has 10 AMG's himself).

Does anyone know how to reset all the systems yourself? Or only a tech can do it?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by munis
Does anyone know how to reset all the systems yourself? Or only a tech can do it?
Anyone know?????
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM

2017 AMG c63s
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Anyone know?????
I tech with a Mercedes computer has to do it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 AM

2017 AMG c63s
I tech with a Mercedes computer has to do it.
My mechanic is a certified Mercedes mechanic and works on only Mercedes. He actually works on mostly new Mercedes becasue he charges about half of what Mercedes does. He provides Service A for $160. I have been using him for 20+ years.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My mechanic is a certified Mercedes mechanic and works on only Mercedes. He actually works on mostly new Mercedes becasue he charges about half of what Mercedes does. He provides Service A for $160. I have been using him for 20+ years.

You are very lucky to have him I think.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the exact same problem and all of you guys must be experiencing the exact same thing cause it does not leave any engine lights on.

My car has been the same after I got it back from a Mercedes body shop after an accident. I was getting 8 seconds 0 to 100kmph. My butt dyno was telling me something was wrong, but I did not believe it until I measured the time and then confirmed it by seeing the engine data in the dynamic select menu on the command screen.

It's the voltages, you car probably has been sitting on low batteries for a while, so the car enters a limp mode where it caps the power at 262hp and torque at 300. And there would be no check engine light, so it would feel very normal until you go and check the dynamic select engine data on the command screen.

The only way to get rid of it is to have a fully charged battery and then reset all the systems using a scanner.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM

2017 AMG c63s
Originally Posted by munis
You are very lucky to have him I think.
I feel lucky, especially after hearing all the horror stories about Mercedes dealer service departments. It seems that some dealers are lost when it comes to dealing with the AMG's. I always thought that they would contact AMG directly when they run into issues that they do not know how to fix. But it seems they resort to saying things like "that is the way it is supposed drive" or "the noises are normal". When I hear comments like this from the dealer I cringe.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 c63
Well well well, my car has not seen the dealership for 2 years. Took it in for a panoramic roof issue. These knuckleheads end up updating the ecu. Pretty much the car has turned dull and laggy. Throttle responce is much softer and the gut punch in mid range is gone . This a load of **** , the car definitely feels down on power.