New Exhaust Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
New Exhaust Sound

Ok - here's a new one for those with the PE...
Anyone with an idea?

Background: I had the famed exhausted squeal upon deceleration, start or rev reduction... Dealer lubed the valves and the sound appeared to have gone away for a while... On a VERY occasional basis, I still here the noise upon start.....

Current: Yesterday, upon pulling into a parking garage, I would accelerate slightly and when the revs came back down to idle, I could here "clicking".... I parked, put the car into "N" and revved repeatedly - same noise, as car settled to idle.

It's a VERY distinct click, sounds like engine valves, but it's from the underside of the car and it's only one or two clicks after each rev of the engine, before it stops. It's not engine valves because it would be constant. I can duplicate every time.

Thoughts????
Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Are you sure it's from underneath the car? Could either be the exhaust valves again, maybe wastegates (though that wouldn't be from under the car)
Old 07-12-2017, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by skim7x
Are you sure it's from underneath the car? Could either be the exhaust valves again, maybe wastegates (though that wouldn't be from under the car)
Interesting thought about Wastegates, being as I currently have an issue with power response off the line....

Could certainly be the wastegates because reflected noise, especially higher frequencies like a tick or a click could be projected elsewhere.....
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Mine makes a little chirp/squeak when I rev it. Sounds like an exhaust valve or wastegate valve. I can't quite tell.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Mine makes a little chirp/squeak when I rev it. Sounds like an exhaust valve or wastegate valve. I can't quite tell.
Another thing we have in common....
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Another thing we have in common....
I'm not completely sure the noise is setbing wrong. It's likely a spring loaded valve and it's just moving under vacuum. I think my BMW's exhaust made an audible flap noise too. Other than sounding a little cheap, hopefully it's not "broken".

That said, when I have a friend over who can stand outside the car, I'll see if they can identify if it's coming from the exhaust or the engine/wastegate.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
I'm not completely sure the noise is setbing wrong. It's likely a spring loaded valve and it's just moving under vacuum. I think my BMW's exhaust made an audible flap noise too. Other than sounding a little cheap, hopefully it's not "broken".

That said, when I have a friend over who can stand outside the car, I'll see if they can identify if it's coming from the exhaust or the engine/wastegate.
I was thinking the same thing....sorta.
My wife is gone on a mother/daughter trip, and I have no friends.
LOL

Just joshing!
I'll try to get a buddy to listen with me, as well and we can compare notes.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM

2016 C63S
One good clue could be whether the squeal happens only when gooseing the throttle while the exhaust button is pressed to have it loud. That would mean it's the exhaust flap mechanism for sure.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
One good clue could be whether the squeal happens only when gooseing the throttle while the exhaust button is pressed to have it loud. That would mean it's the exhaust flap mechanism for sure.
Good point...
I'll give that a shot.
I'm a little slow these days, for reasons I mentioned over email.
LOL!