Sponsored by:

VOIDING WARRANTY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ford Ranger
VOIDING WARRANTY?

Trying to make a decision on lowering my car using KW HAS lowering springs and adding spacers. Will doing this void my warranty? I did a search, but could not find info.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Most likely not but anything is possible especially if the warranty claim is related to suspension. Really depends on the dealer.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
Okay, let me start with this: You can't "void the warranty" with aftermarket parts.

Here is what can happen: The dealer can deny a claim based on you having installed aftermarket parts.

What this means is that if you go to the dealer for something wrong with your car and they determine that it's possible the aftermarket parts you installed may have caused the problem, MB can simply deny the warranty claim. For example, if you put on the HAS springs and then have an issue with a control arm, it's likely you will be denied the claim to have the control arm fixed under warranty. If, for example, you had an issue with the turbo, having the KW HAS wouldn't make a difference.

So basically, by installing aftermarket springs, you give up all suspension warranty.

Other option is to keep the OEM everything and if something goes wrong, stock out and take it to the dealer (done this myself a couple times with previous cars).
The following users liked this post:
mras350b2 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Mikey is right but I will add that it depends on the dealership. Some dealers have a strict policy that they will not touch a car that is not 100% stock and some others sell tunes and after market parts to enhance the bottom line and service their clientele.
Trying to fight the "mothership" if a claim is being denied (even if by law they should) is an uphill battle that is usually not worth the $$ and the time so find a dealer who is willing to work with you
Old 07-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by emericr
Mikey is right but I will add that it depends on the dealership. Some dealers have a strict policy that they will not touch a car that is not 100% stock and some others sell tunes and after market parts to enhance the bottom line and service their clientele.
Trying to fight the "mothership" if a claim is being denied (even if by law they should) is an uphill battle that is usually not worth the $$ and the time so find a dealer who is willing to work with you
Spot on! I had a Mazda that busted two transmissions. First time I got it fixed at the dealer I bought the car from - no issues at all. The second time I brought it to a new dealer and they gave me this whole thing about it's going to matter "how it was driven" if they will fix the car or not (this was a Mazdaspeed 3 - and meant to be driven kindof hard). Left there, took it to the OG dealer and BAM, got it rebuilt, no problem.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
C63S Coupe/CLA45
Removing any factory parts will Void warranty where i'm at (san diego) they dont care about wraps or tint

Last edited by hotdognobun; 07-19-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Mikey_boy
Spot on! I had a Mazda that busted two transmissions. First time I got it fixed at the dealer I bought the car from - no issues at all. The second time I brought it to a new dealer and they gave me this whole thing about it's going to matter "how it was driven" if they will fix the car or not (this was a Mazdaspeed 3 - and meant to be driven kindof hard). Left there, took it to the OG dealer and BAM, got it rebuilt, no problem.
I also had a Mazdaspeed 3 before, and my dealer doesn't give a crap about how I mod my car haha. Happy to meet a speed 3 owner here tho.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by hotdognobun
Removing any factory parts will Void warranty where i'm at (san diego) they dont care about wraps or tint
So if you swap your wheels and a turbo lets go, you're on your own? I find it very difficult to believe that any dealer would attempt to take a stand like that, especially in the face of Magnuson-Moss.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
What we all have to remember is that the dealerships are not the ones that determine if a warranty claim goes through or not. It's MB that does this determination based upon the support and diagnostics that the dealership provides MB with.

A dealership can't on a whim approve a warranty claim without MB's approval, so if MB denies the claim there really is nothing the dealership can do for you other than fix the issue on the customer's dime. Some dealerships try harder than others to provide MB with as much support as possible, and some dealership do a half-assed effort with the claims. But at the end of the day it isn't up to them what the final verdict is.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by msd3075
What we all have to remember is that the dealerships are not the ones that determine if a warranty claim goes through or not. It's MB that does this determination based upon the support and diagnostics that the dealership provides MB with.

A dealership can't on a whim approve a warranty claim without MB's approval, so if MB denies the claim there really is nothing the dealership can do for you other than fix the issue on the customer's dime. Some dealerships try harder than others to provide MB with as much support as possible, and some dealership do a half-assed effort with the claims. But at the end of the day it isn't up to them what the final verdict is.
Actually warranty claims are determined by a warranty software program, to which all dealers have access

The defective component part number is entered in this program and the program tells the user if the component is covered.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jinggyjin
I also had a Mazdaspeed 3 before, and my dealer doesn't give a crap about how I mod my car haha. Happy to meet a speed 3 owner here tho.
Nice! It was a fun car for sure!

I do miss the inexpensive mods though...
Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Actually warranty claims are determined by a warranty software program, to which all dealers have access

The defective component part number is entered in this program and the program tells the user if the component is covered.

The warranty program used is just a way of expediting the claim process between MB and the dealer.

It's still MB that determines if warranty work is approved. regardless of whether it's with a program or with whatever other methods that could be used. The point is that the approval process is completely out of the dealership's hands. It's all MB.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
This may be true, but the approval/denial process takes into account the dealer's comments about whether or not they believe aftermarket/improper use caused the issue in the first place. A mod-friendly dealer will typically look the other way or at least know that A doesn't necessarily cause B. Only when significant repairs are required, where MB sends an inspector, will the dealer be completely removed from the equation.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:03 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by vaelin
This may be true, but the approval/denial process takes into account the dealer's comments about whether or not they believe aftermarket/improper use caused the issue in the first place. A mod-friendly dealer will typically look the other way or at least know that A doesn't necessarily cause B. Only when significant repairs are required, where MB sends an inspector, will the dealer be completely removed from the equation.
I think you and I are saying the exact same thing but just saying it from the opposite sides of the situations. My only point is that MB has the ultimate final say.

A perfect analogy is to compare it to a court of law. The dealerships are the lawyers, and MB is the judge/jury. You can get a crappy public defender that just wants to push paper to make his $150 per case, or you can get OJ Simpson's dream team of lawyers. The verdict could be very different depending on your defense, but ultimately the lawyer doesn't pass the judgement. Only the judge/jury does that.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
I'm in Australia, I have KW HAS/ wheels etc...

Never had any issues regarding warranty. In fact, when I first has it done I had the guys at the dealership ask me exactly what set up I had cause they had another customer that wanted it done on their car.