C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRACE Remote Start... turns off on door open?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
MBRACE Remote Start... turns off on door open?

Anyone use the remote start from the app? I love using it to start my car with the AC running to cool the car before I get in when its parked inside.

However, whenever I open the door the car turns off and I have to restart it. Any idea?
The following users liked this post:
SdeGat (05-25-2022)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by digitalnav
Anyone use the remote start from the app? I love using it to start my car with the AC running to cool the car before I get in when its parked inside.

However, whenever I open the door the car turns off and I have to restart it. Any idea?
That's by design unfortunately. Intended to prevent someone else from attempting to steal the car once it's running. The remote start function only works some of the time for me, usually fails. When it does work I start it about 10 min before I drive so the car has time to warm up / cool down.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by mbauman94
That's by design unfortunately. Intended to prevent someone else from attempting to steal the car once it's running. The remote start function only works some of the time for me, usually fails. When it does work I start it about 10 min before I drive so the car has time to warm up / cool down.
Ah, I see... I just hate having my car turn off then on repeatedly in short bursts. Im sure it doesn't hurt the engine but something about it just makes me
SdeGat (05-25-2022)
Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I thought the remote start function was so that you could get the oil temps warmed up, so that you can immediately use launch control right from your parking spot.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:47 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by weboperations
I thought the remote start function was so that you could get the oil temps warmed up, so that you can immediately use launch control right from your parking spot.
I just turn off everything and spin out for 10 minutes till my tires disintegrate.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 s Edition 1 Sedan
The remote start feature is not in my app. I have a MY15 if that might make a difference.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Yup, by design. And I HATE it for the same reason you mentioned... I just don't feel like it's good for the engine, although I'm sure they've done their research and testing. Not to mention you're not supposed to warm your car up idling, but rather easy driving to get temps up quicker. Not that any of this makes a difference anyways in today's cars, but maybe it's force of habit.

I never use the auto stop start feature either for the same reason.
JonAG72 (12-29-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Mazdaspeed
Originally Posted by skim7x
Yup, by design. And I HATE it for the same reason you mentioned... I just don't feel like it's good for the engine, although I'm sure they've done their research and testing. Not to mention you're not supposed to warm your car up idling, but rather easy driving to get temps up quicker. Not that any of this makes a difference anyways in today's cars, but maybe it's force of habit.

I never use the auto stop start feature either for the same reason.
They really only tell people that for the case of emissions, the engine is fine either way. Driving off right away warms up the cats faster and reduces emissions.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C63

Yes, and it's a disappointment. I remember the first time I remotely started it, it was very hot (I lived in central Florida) and the family was looking forward to stepping inside a cooled environment. As soon as I grabbed the driver's door to open it, the engine shut off. Bummer! It's unfortunate that the few cases where someone had their vehicle car jacked from being remotely started causes everyone else to miss out on the feature. Who knows, maybe some car owner had remotely started their vehicle, and as soon as they opened the door, some bad actor was right there and car jacked them. Then the vehicle owner sued the car manufacturer, reasoning, "It's your fault because you included this feature", ha-ha.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Agree stupid feature, would rather be able to press and hold the key fob when im near to hear it similar to my old Hellcat it had.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic
I know this thread has died off since now yet I don’t see how other car makers can make it work. Remote start the car. Need key fob to unlock doors. Then push start and magic the car can then drive away. The annoyance of buying a new 17 E class and still the lag in progress with certain features. Granted I am not taking away from all their success with other features. Maybe i’m just upset since my car sits outside in the cold of Chicago while the race cars and fiancé’s car stay in the warm garage haha.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
I don't know that it's a lack of progress as much as Mercedes choosing to design it that way as a safety feature. Perhaps a running Mercedes with nobody in it is a more likely target (more expensive target) than a Chevy whatever that nobody would steal even if it was sitting there running haha.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:40 AM

2017 E300 4Matic
Haha I hear ya. I mean the car should be locked, need the fob or key to unlock the door, then read the key to turn over power to then drive the car. Just seems like something they make an annoyance just like the darn eco start stop haha.
Jsmuve7 (05-21-2023)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:22 AM

MB c300 2017
hey. It is by default by mercedes. I had a Honda Accord Touring 2017. beautiful car. It could start and than you sit in the car and press start once and car stays on and ready to drive. Coming this from Mercedes, It is pretty stupid. I did check with the dealer and he said " it comes like that" and I told him the same thing. On a benz, its stupid.
Jsmuve7 (05-21-2023)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:25 AM

MB c300 2017
your right in many ways but when the card is remotely start, the doors are remain locked in most of the cars. on my c 300 2017, if I unlock the car in any way, App, remote or door handle, its shuts off right away. I have to start it again from inside the car. I wished they set it up where if you unlock from the remote, it stayed on.
Jsmuve7 (05-21-2023)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by weboperations
Ummm I’m pretty sure that’s impossible. You can definitely get the interior warmed up/cooled down (depending on the climate you live in) and the engine water/coolant temp up to normal operating temperature, but even on the hottest of FL days, after running the remote start for the full 10 minutes, the oil and trans temps are still well below operating temps. That requires circulating the oil under load and the trans under load.

As for the remote start cutting off when you open the door, be thankful. There have been a series of reports of car thieves using key transponder range extenders to extend the keyfob signal from inside the owner’s house to the door of the car, unlocking it, and driving off.

Last edited by FDNewbie; 04-29-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
As for the remote start cutting off when you open the door, be thankful. There have been a series of reports of car thieves using key transponder range extenders to extend the keyfob signal from inside the owner’s house to the door of the car, unlocking it, and driving off.
So... how does remote start cutting off when you open the car door solve that problem?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Ummm I’m pretty sure that’s impossible. You can definitely get the interior warmed up/cooled down (depending on the climate you live in) and the engine water/coolant temp up to normal operating temperature, but even on the hottest of FL days, after running the remote start for the full 10 minutes, the oil and trans temps are still well below operating temps. That requires circulating the oil under load and the trans under load.

Pretty sure you missed his sarcasm
Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Pretty sure you missed his sarcasm
What sarcasm? I always launch control out of my parking spot. Isn't that what it's for? =D
Old 04-29-2018, 04:30 PM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by skim7x
So... how does remote start cutting off when you open the car door solve that problem?
Not quite sure honestly lol. If you can extend the range to the point it allows you to unlock the door, the signal is probably strong enough for the car to detect the key inside the car and allow you to start it up and drive off... I think Mercedes wasn’t aware of the aforementioned security flaw. I think they’re thinking low-tech; make sure the car turns off when the door is opened so no walking by tries to just open the door, hop in, and drive off.

Oh and FYI, an easy fix for the aforementioned security flaw is to double lock the car with the keyfob, thus effectively disengaging the keyfob from the touchless entry mechanism. There’s a thread about it on the forum somewhere...

Last edited by FDNewbie; 04-29-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E300
In our Caddy the doors are locked and you enter the car still running. Without the fob you cant enter the car and if you do your not going anywhere in park.. In our Subaru doors unlocked car running from remote start as soon as you touch the brake the engine shut off. All things MB could incorporate. Plus because the Me app has issues and doesnt always work a fob remote would be helpful for remote start. Or is it that MB just wants to make more money with Mbrace ?
Jsmuve7 (05-21-2023)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63 S Coupe
It’s pretty much a useless feature and I was shocked remote start wasn’t on the key fob when I bought mine....first Benz so just assumed they would have it since every other maker, all price ranges, typically have now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Garbism:
1972arg (07-03-2023), Jsmuve7 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-25-2022, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 C300 Cabriolet

Oh darn! I was hoping that there was a way around that. 😕
The Infiniti or Acura I had would let me in and just hit the start button (to keep the car running).
Old 05-25-2022, 01:26 PM

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by SdeGat
Oh darn! I was hoping that there was a way around that. 😕
The Infiniti or Acura I had would let me in and just hit the start button (to keep the car running).
Its to prevent some random from jumping in the car and driving off.

My Lexus did that but my Dodge didn't, some manufacturers are more careful.
SdeGat (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 C300 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by miamiboy
Its to prevent some random from jumping in the car and driving off.

My Lexus did that but my Dodge didn't, some manufacturers are more careful.
But you still need the key fob to unlock the car and get the car to move 💁‍♂️
I don’t really understand how this behavior is safer…

Last edited by SdeGat; 05-25-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Jsmuve7 (05-21-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBRACE Remote Start... turns off on door open?