Active sound module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Originally Posted by daxelsson
Hi all, quick update from Sweden.

I'm SUPER HAPPY with the end result after installing the Active Valve Control from Active-Sound.eu yesterday. Now I finally hear the potential in this car, it has a deep tone and is much louder during low RPMs. I can no longer cruise unnoticed on the streets apparently (if flaps are open). Another thing I need to mention is also how quiet and comfortable the car is when the flaps are 100% closed. Videos are coming, just need a tool that lets me blur my license plate. Any advise on software I should use?

Yes, I paid a higher price for my unit. Yes, I needed to "hardwire" and cut cables in my trunk - but it's worth it with the security features this module has. Even if my flaps are closed 100%, they will be forced open at high RPMs. The installation took about 20 mins.

I'm still waiting for my MB dealer to get back to me in order to get the latest software to get some loud crackles. I can't wait.

Please make sure the unit you are mounting has the same features, in order to not cause damage if you end up driving hard with the flaps closed.

EDIT: The perks (and reason it's more expensive than competitors) of the Active Sound version is that the exhaust button in my car still works, and it has the security feature mentioned above.
What damage? Also let me know the specifics on the updates for sound. My dealer told me they didn’t know which update I was talking about
Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C63S 2015
Originally Posted by JWreck

What damage? Also let me know the specifics on the updates for sound. My dealer told me they didn’t know which update I was talking about
I’m told since the ASR doesn’t force open the flaps (if closed) >4000RPM it can be harmful. I may be misinformed.

Exactly, same here but they listen once you use brute force. Do you live in the US or Europe? I have the software version you need if you’re located in the US. Happy to send!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:10 AM

I’m told since the ASR doesn’t force open the flaps (if closed) >4000RPM it can be harmful. I may be misinformed.

Exactly, same here but they listen once you use brute force. Do you live in the US or Europe? I have the software version you need if you’re located in the US. Happy to send!
Still interested in what may be damaged...engine? Valves? Exhaust system components?

Yep in the US. Send whenever you can, trying to build up information to take to them next time I do.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:21 AM

W205 C63S 2015

Still interested in what may be damaged...engine? Valves? Exhaust system components?

Yep in the US. Send whenever you can, trying to build up information to take to them next time I do.
I have no clue. I was just told so, may have been “sales truth”

Cool, here it comes:

Software C63S W205
MED1775' for 'M177'
Engine Software-Version: 1779033200
Gearbox Software-Version: 0009023731
Old 04-07-2018, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
All of these modules open up valves 100% regardless of mode for safety at higher RPMs. I’ve yet to see any that aren’t programmed to do so.

Also, the OEM exhaust button will still work to some extent because the 3rd valve located on the H-pipe operates dynamically based on what drive setting you’re in. So it would be advisable to keep that button on for maximum volume and pops/cracks in Sport+ and Race!
Old 04-07-2018, 12:15 PM

W205 C63S 2015
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
All of these modules open up valves 100% regardless of mode for safety at higher RPMs. I’ve yet to see any that aren’t programmed to do so.

Also, the OEM exhaust button will still work to some extent because the 3rd valve located on the H-pipe operates dynamically based on what drive setting you’re in. So it would be advisable to keep that button on for maximum volume and pops/cracks in Sport+ and Race!
Thanks Alex, you seem really knowledgable around this topic. Would you say there is risk for any sort of damage to the car if the flaps were not to open on higher RPMs?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Thanks Alex, you seem really knowledgable around this topic. Would you say there is risk for any sort of damage to the car if the flaps were not to open on higher RPMs?
Yes, I do think back pressure could cause issues if the valves are forced shut under load at high RPM. But I don't think that is a concern because these boxes are programmed to open at high RPM regardless of mode. Personally, I would only switch between the fully open valve mode and the regular OEM mode where I can use the exhaust button to switch the valves. I don't like the idea forcing the valves completely shut, I'd rather run it with the OEM setting with the exhaust button off if I want quiet.
The following users liked this post:
daxelsson (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S Coupe
When ordering the ASR module you can select the 'Startmode' you want. They program the unit with your preferred mode before shipping.

Before ordering this unit, I emailed them for some extra information about these Startmodes and this was their answer:

The selection is for the start mode.

That means, how the flap control should start.

Letzter Zustand --> last mode you activated(memory) Komfort Modus --> flaps closed at start Sport Modus--> flaps open at start Serien Modus--> flaps are in original position (flap contol deactivated)
The SERIEN MODUS is what I believe a modus where the ASR module disables itself so the exhaust valves function like as with an original vehicle without valve control unit. If the factory exhaust button on the middle console still works? That I don't know...

I ordered my unit with Startmode "Sport Modus" and if someday I would like to reprogram the startmodus with another modus I would need to select that particular modus and (quote from their email):

you can change the start mode by yourself.

You need to press a button more then 10 seconnds. Then it will use this mode as start mode.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:32 PM

W205 C63S 2015
Originally Posted by -krikke-
When ordering the ASR module you can select the 'Startmode' you want. They program the unit with your preferred mode before shipping.

Before ordering this unit, I emailed them for some extra information about these Startmodes and this was their answer:

The SERIEN MODUS is what I believe a modus where the ASR module disables itself so the exhaust valves function like as with an original vehicle without valve control unit. If the factory exhaust button on the middle console still works? That I don't know...

I ordered my unit with Startmode "Sport Modus" and if someday I would like to reprogram the startmodus with another modus I would need to select that particular modus and (quote from their email):
Skip the programming and just push the start button in your car twice without pressing the brakes, then selected driving mode, hit the brake and press once again. Boom, your car will start in Sport+ or whatever you choose.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51 PM

C63 S Coupe
I know, I know, but sometimes I am too drunk to press any buttons...
Old 04-10-2018, 04:39 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63S,2016 C63 S Edition 1 Coupe(gone), 2011 640D M Sports Coupe, 2015 435i M Sports Coupe
Talking

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been following this thread for a while. You shouldn't expect an answer today and/or on Monday as both are bank holidays throughout most parts of Europe due to Easter.

I am a quite new owner of the C63S and I love it. But, I doesn't have the sound I expect from an AMG. Even though my car is equipped with the performance exhaust it doesn't give me enough AMG feeling. Hence, I started researching and found this video:

this video on Youtube

It basically tells you the exact version of software for both the engine itself, and the gearbox. Great I thought!

But, after extensive calling to authorised dealerships around Sweden (where I live and the car is registered) they told me this software version cannot be fitted in my car due to EU regulations & the fact that they can't "choose which software that goes in my car and gearbox" and/or "retro-fit old software" into it. Major bummer.

After this, I went on to do research with different non-Mercedes-authorised tuning companies. No luck here either.

I finally then found the Active Valve Control stuff, that according to this video (already posted above, I know) from the seller CAN MAKE IT SOUND BETTER:

this video

I've emailed the guys now, expecting an email back Tuesday next week or I'm giving them a call. I really, really hope this will give me what I want. Is there anyone on this thread successfully mounted a mod that ensures 100% open valves on all RPM's?

Thanks in advance guys!
Mate I first posted about this Active sound module back in September 2017 and no one seemed interested to get more sound form there AMG's funny how now 6 months latter every one whats some more sound
Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 E63s Wagon

Cool, here it comes:

Software C63S W205
MED1775' for 'M177'
I went yesterday to the dealer and spoke to the service advisor, which was the wrong thing to do.."I don't see any campaigns or recalls". Then i asked to speak to the shop foreman, unfortunately, he was in MB school. The advisor was like "um, what??"...I have to go back, frustrating. All they have to do is check it with the OBDII reader, to see if the update is there.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:21 AM

C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by -krikke-
Posed the same question to ASR and this is their answer:

Hi,

our flap control dont need to be connected to the can bus! That is really important for mercedes warranty, beacause with the other flap control you need to damage the can bus cables.

That is the reason we made a flap control with a transmitter, so you can install within 2 minutes without a connection to the can bus.

Our control unit doesn't open the flaps automatically. But you don't need this function because you can use the „open mode“ and the „original mode“. We can also sell our control unit only with this two modes: „Open“ and „original“

With the other flap control you need an automatically open because the cars starts every time with closed valves! The is a big disadvantage and the user need to press the button after every start.

Our flap control has a memory function and starts with the last mode.

When you open the flaps with our transmitter the button in the middle console doesn't change the position. When you activate the original mode, you can normally use the button like without our flap control.

I hope you understand the advantages of our flap control and i would be happy to if you can share these informations.

Best regards

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Last edited by -krikke-; 04-11-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Got mine delivered to the UK this morning and installed within 5 minutes. The difference is pronounced! Definitely a great buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by playalistic:
ASR-Daniel (04-17-2018), MBC63S (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by playalistic
Got mine delivered to the UK this morning and installed within 5 minutes. The difference is pronounced! Definitely a great buy.
Any comparison vids?? Before/After??
Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe

Any comparison vids?? Before/After??
I wil try and get one together, but really the best way to describe it is to say it's the same loudness/depth of sound as a completely cold start, but all the time. The bangs and cracks on shifting and sudden throttle lift-off is louder to my ears also.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by playalistic
I wil try and get one together, but really the best way to describe it is to say it's the same loudness/depth of sound as a completely cold start, but all the time. The bangs and cracks on shifting and sudden throttle lift-off is louder to my ears also.
Yeah I’m hoping it makes it a little deeper and more burbling at idle or parking lot speeds
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63

Cool, here it comes:

Software C63S W205
MED1775' for 'M177'

Here's an easier way. Print this document out and hand it to your service advisor, and tell them to look it up in XENTRY TIPS. From https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7146261&postcount=132. This is the final version.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Daniel, thanks for coming on her to clarify things. A couple of questions:

1) How to you select the "Start Modus" ? Do you have to open the trunk and change a button/setting on the module in the trunk? Or is this something done via Bluetooth on your phone? Or a remote control?

2) Based on your answer to Question #1, if I want to turn on Original Mode before I turn off the car, and want it to stay quiet when I start up in the morning (to keep it quiet for my neighbors), but then want to change to Sport Modus to keep it loud while driving, how can I do that? Do I have to stop and open the trunk do make this change?

Thanks!
There’s a key fob to select what mode you want. The car will automatically start in the last mode selected, or you can program what mode to start in by holding down the key fob button for 5-10 seconds and it will be stored in memory.
The following users liked this post:
FDNewbie (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM

C63 S Coupe
I have received my unit but still need to install it...
Does it take long to reach the cables in the trunk or do you waste half a day by removing the inside of the trunk interior?

Also when installing the ASR can someone confirm if it will leave flags inside the ecu when the dealer connects to it through obd2? Maybe the MB car system senses that there is some kind of 'override' on the exhaust flaps and triggers an internal error?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
I may try the ASR module. Secondary cats are coming off end of the month
Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

There’s a key fob to select what mode you want. The car will automatically start in the last mode selected, or you can program what mode to start in by holding down the key fob button for 5-10 seconds and it will be stored in memory.
Perfect. Thanks!

I think this would work perfectly with some high flow cats (I hope it's loud enough haha). Kinda hesitant to go catless just cuz of the smell (used to run full exhaust on other cars and it was pretty strong...like NO ONE wants to ride shotgun lol)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Perfect. Thanks!

I think this would work perfectly with some high flow cats (I hope it's loud enough haha). Kinda hesitant to go catless just cuz of the smell (used to run full exhaust on other cars and it was pretty strong...like NO ONE wants to ride shotgun lol)
No problem! I'm going to order one of these very soon, I think it's exactly what this car needs - more bass and low end rumble! I always find myself giving the car some extra throttle for a stop to get the valves to open more. And if you're very observant, you'll notice that when stopped, the more pressure you put on the brakes the quieter the car idles. Easiest way to hear this is when using the "hold" function by pressing the brake hard quickly at a stop. It will shut the valves instantly and idle quietly even with the OEM exhaust button on. This is obviously something AMG programmed for noise regulation and pedestrian comfort.

It's awesome to see the updated ASR module is literally one plug intercepted in the trunk (as opposed to two plugs on the actual exhaust flaps), so the install will be super easy... around 5-10 minutes.

I really don't like the way the M177 sounds with catless downpipes, you lose that nice engineered deep AMG rumble and instead sounds really raspy and raw (not in a good way IMO). Not to mention the smell, I had catless DP's on my B5 S4 and it stunk! Besides, the gains you get going catless on the M177 isn't worth the trade-off in sound. If people were picking up 35-40 HP to the wheels, that would be a different story... but I don't think 20-30 HP to the crank is worth de-catting.

I think ASR + the secondary cat delete would be the best sounding setup for this car. Personally, I'm leaving the cats alone and will just be installing the ASR.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
FDNewbie (04-19-2018), MBC63S (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
I agree, I don't like the sound with catless downpipes either. ASR+secondary deletes for me
Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
IMO the downside with the ASR module is you need a remote. I find myself closing the valves often enough that having to do it via the remote would annoy me. I would prefer to use the exhaust button to fully open or fully close the valves and also have it respect the valve open/closed based on driving mode (Comfort/Sport/Sport+). I don't mind tapping into the wires in the trunk to do it (my car is just out of warranty). But the Active Sound Module is to expensive at 429EUR plus 55EUR shipping. Is there another brand that works the same way but cheaper?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active sound module