Sponsored by:

Active sound module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
It will store a soft code and will pull power, it’s been documented and proven with dyno pulls (or look at your HP/TQ gauge, you won’t see full power). If it hasn’t already cut power with a short drive, it definitely will after some more miles. People tried this when the car first came out... it’s not like an old BMW where you can just pull the plug. The valves are tied into the can-bus so if you mess with them and keep them unplugged, the ECU will know it, throw a fault and cut power.

Again, don’t do this unless you have exhaust valve simulators. This is why they exist.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Guys you can't just unplug the exhaust valves (at the motor or in the trunk) or you will go into LIMP mode and it will kill your power/boost!! Do not do this unless you have simulators and the car is asleep or the battery is unplugged so it doesn't throw a code. You will need to clear the codes to get your car out of limp mode, and I'm not totally sure if you can do it with a regular OTS OBD-II reader.

I actually have a set of the AWE simulators in case I ever wanted to drop the OEM catback for the drag strip. I paid around $60 shipped for them last year. I didn't realize the valves opened up 100% when the car was off, I just checked for myself and confirmed they're wide open.

I will try installing the AWE valve simulators tomorrow and see if it keeps the valves open without any issues since I already have a set laying around. I'd still like the ability to revert back to the OEM controlled exhaust, but in reality I drive around with the exhaust on 99% of the time anyway... so this may be a cheap, temporary way to get the same effect as the ASR!

Alex, let us know your findings. As this would be a nice alternative for those of us that don't mind 100% open at all times.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 AM

2015 C63s Sedan
So would we need 2 or 3 simulators? Or does the h-pipe valve not really matter?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by skim7x

Now, it definitely works and there are no visible errors on the dash. That said, I feel like there is loss of power, especially at the high end of 2nd gear... it might just be in my head though... try it out and let me know what you guys feel... It literally takes 5 minutes to do.

Dude no no no no! Why did you do that for? You think no one else thought of this simple idea? You just threw the car into soft limp mode and it is a ***** to get rid off. Soft codes would not trigger CEL but it is saved in the memory now. You need XENTRY to clear this.

Also the power loss is not in your head. There is an actual powerloss. Go to the Dynamic select menu and toggle to engine data. You will see your car is not making more than 250hp and 250lbft of torque. Which will still feel fast.

You will think we just wanted to blow 400 dollars when all we needed to do is unplug the valves!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by munis
Dude no no no no! Why did you do that for? You think no one else thought of this simple idea? You just threw the car into soft limp mode and it is a ***** to get rid off. Soft codes would not trigger CEL but it is saved in the memory now. You need XENTRY to clear this.

Also the power loss is not in your head. There is an actual powerloss. Go to the Dynamic select menu and toggle to engine data. You will see your car is not making more than 250hp and 250lbft of torque. Which will still feel fast.

You will think we just wanted to blow 400 dollars when all we needed to do is unplug the valves!
LOL guys guys... Relax there was no limp mode and the car is fine. I DID feel the ECU pulling back power, so just reconnected it, no harm no foul. At least I know it's not a simple fix. In my 335i I did the exact same thing and it gave me a soft code but didn't affect anything and I drove like that for almost a decade.

And... I'm not one to trust anything anyone says on the forums, I like to try it myself. So kill me haha. I'm sure you see people on this forum blowing hundreds of dollars everywhere for no reason (air intake spacer haha). Glad you guys are looking out for me though.

Oh, the other benefit from doing my dangerous experiment is that I got to hear what 100% open valves sound like before "blowing $400"... AWESOMMMEEE. 😂 I'm on the GB list!!

Last edited by skim7x; 04-20-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Good info above, thanks @AlexZTuned. It probably did store a fault... dont' see why that matters. In any case, I've taken a hit for anyone else who wants to do the same thing =P Don't do it, and take my word for it -- it sounds awesome haha.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Alright fellas, I tested the AWE exhaust valve simulators and they work! Valves are forced open 100% and no fault codes or limp mode. Not bad for $50 bucks and 10-15 minutes.

I'm still planning on getting the ASR module because I'd like to be able to switch back to using the OEM exhaust button, but this is a great mod for people that don't care about switching and just want loud ALL the time.

Check it out: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...imulators.html
The following users liked this post:
Schulminator (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Alright fellas, I tested the AWE exhaust valve simulators and they work! Valves are forced open 100% and no fault codes or limp mode. Not bad for $50 bucks and 10-15 minutes.

I'm still planning on getting the ASR module because I'd like to be able to switch back to using the OEM exhaust button, but this is a great mod for people that don't care about switching and just want loud ALL the time.

Check it out: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...imulators.html
Is it $50 for a pair or $50 each?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by JWreck

Is it $50 for a pair or $50 each?
$54.29 for the pair. Scroll down a bit and you'll find them: https://www.awe-tuning.com/mercedes-c63-exhaust

These are the same simulators used for the F80/F82 M3/M4, Audi S3, S6, S7, Porsche Macan/S/Turbo, Golf R...
Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Where do they plug in? Just under the car where the rear valves sit?

You just plugged both simulators in, and then disconnected the exhaust valve control module in the trunk?

Last edited by skim7x; 04-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 PM

2015 C63s Sedan
Good work Alex, my simulators are ordered. I'm good with 100% / 100% of the time....

Skim, yes you're correct. Unplug valve motor at exhaust and plug simulator into body side harness. Wouldn't think you would mess with anything in the trunk, as the simulators are mocking the signal sent from OEM valve motors to ensure the ECU is happy. Ensure to re-secure all wires and cover open valve motor plug with electrical tape.

Last edited by Schulminator; 04-20-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Schulminator
Good work Alex, my simulators are ordered. I'm good with 100% / 100% of the time....

Skim, yes you're correct. Unplug valve motor at exhaust and plug simulator into body side harness. Wouldn't think you would mess with anything in the trunk, as the simulators are mocking the signal sent from OEM valve motors to ensure the ECU is happy. Ensure to re-secure all wires and cover open valve motor plug with electrical tape.
What about the other valves towards the engine? Won't they still be active unless you unplug the connector in ttrunk? Or unplug the actual valves like you do the rear valves?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM

2015 C63s Sedan
See Alex's response up a bit for the (1) H-pipe valve. These are only for the valve at the end of each muffler.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Correct, this is for the two rear exhaust valves only, nothing is touched in the trunk. The H-pipe valve still opens and closes dynamically based on the OEM programming, this is why I recommend keeping the exhaust button ON even with this mod. When I was doing a test drive, I noticed when you're stopped, the harder you press on the brake, the more the H-pipe valve closes making the car quieter. If you just put a little pressure on the brake at a stop, the H-pipe valve will stay open and loud. It's pretty interesting hearing the exhaust get louder and quieter based on how much you're stepping on the brake. That's just one example of how the H-pipe works dynamically under different conditions. It has different programming depending on your dynamic mode selected (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, Race) and will be more aggressive to open in Sport+ and Race with the exhaust button on.

I'm actually thinking about buying a 3rd valve simulator and installing it on the H-pipe to keep it forced open, I'm curious to see how significant the difference is with it forced open. I'm just not sure if the H-pipe defaults to 100% open with the car off like the rear valves do and since I can't check it visually, I'm a little bit weary. Nonetheless, I think this may be something I'll be trying soon, because I have a sneaking suspicion it will increase the overall noise even more. Of course if someone wants to be a guinea pig and try it... go for it!
skim7x (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Correct, this is for the two rear exhaust valves only, nothing is touched in the trunk. The H-pipe valve still opens and closes dynamically based on the OEM programming, this is why I recommend keeping the exhaust button ON even with this mod. When I was doing a test drive, I noticed when you're stopped, the harder you press on the brake, the more the H-pipe valve closes making the car quieter. If you just put a little pressure on the brake at a stop, the H-pipe valve will stay open and loud. It's pretty interesting hearing the exhaust get louder and quieter based on how much you're stepping on the brake. That's just one example of how the H-pipe works dynamically under different conditions. It has different programming depending on your dynamic mode selected (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, Race) and will be more aggressive to open in Sport+ and Race with the exhaust button on.

I'm actually thinking about buying a 3rd valve simulator and installing it on the H-pipe to keep it forced open, I'm curious to see how significant the difference is with it forced open. I'm just not sure if the H-pipe defaults to 100% open with the car off like the rear valves do and since I can't check it visually, I'm a little bit weary. Nonetheless, I think this may be something I'll be trying soon, because I have a sneaking suspicion it will increase the overall noise even more. Of course if someone wants to be a guinea pig and try it... go for it!
I used to have a 10ft WiFi snake camera with LED on the end of it. Maybe a good way to tell if it defaults to open when off?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
@ASR-Daniel Does your ASR Module also keep the H-Pipe valve 100% Open when activated?

I don't have a lift and there's no way I can fit down there to get that valve... rather pay a few hundred bucks for the module if this is the case haha...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by JWreck

I used to have a 10ft WiFi snake camera with LED on the end of it. Maybe a good way to tell if it defaults to open when off?
Maybe they have one for cheap at Harbor Freight?

I guess I can try installing a simulator on the H-pipe since there isn't really any risk of damage if it's forced open or closed (unlike the rear valves). The H-pipe is more so for sound, rather than flow.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Meh... I'll just get the ASR... More refined solution than patch-working it with multiple sims, and added functionality with the remote. ::shrug::
Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Ie ppl who don't have neighbors...

Nonetheless, I think this may be something I'll be trying soon, because I have a sneaking suspicion it will increase the overall noise even more. Of course if someone wants to be a guinea pig and try it... go for it!
Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-21-2018, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Come on guys, one more so we can get this show on the road! 😁
Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Finally installed my ASR..​​​​​​.

The install took me 15 minutes (removing trunk bottom + installing the unit and putting the trunk floor back in place). Very easy job.

I am quite happy with the results as there is definately more grumble while driving at lower revs. When driving with the windows opened you can definately hear the difference. It's also very noticable while driving in streets that are full of houses/buildings (city streets) as the sound reflection against the facades is a good amplifier.

Please note that the added sound volume is most hearable by the outside. While driving there is a bit more volume inside the interior but not much more compared to stock. I wish these cars were less isolated in the interior so the driver would also have an easier way to enjoy the added volume.

I am very happy with this mod and imo its definately worth it!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by -krikke-
Finally installed my ASR..​​​​​​.

The install took me 15 minutes (removing trunk bottom + installing the unit and putting the trunk floor back in place). Very easy job.

I am quite happy with the results as there is definately more grumble while driving at lower revs. When driving with the windows opened you can definately hear the difference. It's also very noticable while driving in streets that are full of houses/buildings (city streets) as the sound reflection against the facades is a good amplifier.

Please note that the added sound volume is most hearable by the outside. While driving there is a bit more volume inside the interior but not much more compared to stock. I wish these cars were less isolated in the interior so the driver would also have an easier way to enjoy the added volume.

I am very happy with this mod and imo its definately worth it!
Great to hear! Im booked in for secondary cat deletes next week so that along with the ASR should sound epic imo
Old 04-22-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by V8rumble
Great to hear! Im booked in for secondary cat deletes next week so that along with the ASR should sound epic imo
I would consider a secondary cat delete (to have more audible pleasure inside the cabin) but I am a little bit scared that on the outside it will be too much then. On the other hand if it would be too loud you can indeed close the valves or use the Asr Serien mode so the flaps are controlled again by the revs or driving mode like with stock setup...

Will definately be interested in a video with the combo Asr + secondary cat delete!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Agreed. Windows down/sunroof open and drop the rear seatbacks. Really lets in a ton more exhaust noise
Old 04-22-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
I would consider a secondary cat delete (to have more audible pleasure inside the cabin) but I am a little bit scared that on the outside it will be too much then. On the other hand if it would be too loud you can indeed close the valves or use the Asr Serien mode so the flaps are controlled again by the revs or driving mode like with stock setup...

Will definately be interested in a video with the combo Asr + secondary cat delete!
I’ll post the vids once I have the ASR. Waiting on this group buy
-krikke- (04-22-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active sound module