C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Took me a few times to figure out what I was looking at with such a zoomed in picture. But now I see it. Definitely looks off. Read through your other posts. Glad to hear they resolved the other two issues you were having.

On your bumper, if they are able to get it to fit correctly "temporarily" as you describe, then it goes back to having a gap, something is not secured correctly. I think that should be the focus of the discussion with your regional rep.

Regarding overall panel fit quality, I agree it should be better on cars at this price point. Mercedes has scaled volume quite significantly over the last few years. Perhaps quality is not keeping up.

As a side note, on my cabriolet, the truck luggage flap was missing one of the 2 screws that hold it to the body. I was a bit surprised, but figured a quick trip by the dealer would be an easy fix. After multiple attempts to find the right screw (parts list drawing was wrong), they pulled it off another car in the showroom (My idea 30 minutes in). Watching the mechanic try and get the flap positioned, and both screws aligned, in the service driveway was quite amusing. I jumped in and helped, and I was on my way after about an hour.

I shared my story to represent that not all mechanics are created equal. Perhaps there is another mechanic at another dealer that is more experienced, that can get you dialed in. Not every mechanic is the same.
Fantastic points and glad your car is now sorted.
I'm at the only AMG performance center in Vegas.
I've got well over $10k in gear on this car and don't want to walk away for something as minor as a bumper....
But they are forcing my hand.
With how I care for my cars, I will absolutely not drive something which can be perceived to have frame damage.
Between the bumper not fitting with no fix, and the front right fender with no fix, this car looks like it's been in an accident and not repaired properly....

I'm so pissed I'm seeing red.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Fantastic points and glad your car is now sorted.
I'm at the only AMG performance center in Vegas.
I've got well over $10k in gear on this car and don't want to walk away for something as minor as a bumper....
But they are forcing my hand.
With how I care for my cars, I will absolutely not drive something which can be perceived to have frame damage.
Between the bumper not fitting with no fix, and the front right fender with no fix, this car looks like it's been in an accident and not repaired properly....

I'm so pissed I'm seeing red.
The gap is ridiculous Audito, not surprised you are seeing red with the responses you are getting from the dealer and Mercedes themselves.

Hope you get it sorted mate.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s coupe
They have made multiple repair attempts to the rear bumper to get it to align properly, but have only been TEMPORARILY successful. Each time, the result is just "OK" but then gets worse (see pictures). This is how the rear bumper is now. It has never fit on the left side, but fits perfectly on the right. It has now gotten even worse.
Damn - my left side of rear bumber is doing exact same thing as yours now! Just started within past 2 weeks ... but mine was involved in a rear end accident. Was fine for about a month now (I have pics) but slowly started moving outwards creating the "lip" underneath the tail light lens. Right side no problem.

I probably shouldn't even bother taking it back to MB to fix if it's prone to moving again.

I even have a buyer that wants the car (showed it yesterday) - but they never noticed the bumper portion sticking out slightly on one side (and they are aware it was in an accident)... hmmm
​​
Old 10-02-2017, 06:20 PM

C63s coupe
Took car in this morning to have them look at left rear bumper. They called several hours later telling me it's fixed and ready to pick up. By the time I got there to pick it up (less than 2 hours) it had already shifted back out of position. Manager said they'll order a new bracket that supports that portion of bumper and do it over again. My guess is it won't stick with a new bracket either...
Old 10-03-2017, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Vectored Lines
Took car in this morning to have them look at left rear bumper. They called several hours later telling me it's fixed and ready to pick up. By the time I got there to pick it up (less than 2 hours) it had already shifted back out of position. Manager said they'll order a new bracket that supports that portion of bumper and do it over again. My guess is it won't stick with a new bracket either...
My dealer hasn't even offered the bracket.
They brought the regional rep in from MB and she refused to take any further action (apparently, because the bumper has a 3M wrap - LOL).

It's just any f-ing excuse to NOT do something as a result of very poor design.
It might not resolve the problem if they replace the bumper, but at least they tried and it's on record as a failed fix so Germany knows about it....

If they don't resolve this, I'm done with Mercedes. In fact, I might even force a buyback on my wife's 2017 GLC300 in solidarity. I'm pretty much done with my $100K car that has worse fit/finish than my old $35K Kia Optima. AYFKM?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
They brought the regional rep in from MB and she refused to take any further action (apparently, because the bumper has a 3M wrap - LOL).

It might not resolve the problem if they replace the bumper, but at least they tried and it's on record as a failed fix so Germany knows about it....

If they don't resolve this, I'm done with Mercedes. In fact, I might even force a buyback on my wife's 2017 GLC300 in solidarity. I'm pretty much done with my $100K car that has worse fit/finish than my old $35K Kia Optima. AYFKM?
Did the shop take the bumper off to do the wrap? Perhaps Mercedes are making the assumption that this was done and has caused the problem.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:35 AM

C63s coupe

I take mine back tomorrow to have new bracket installed. Will let you know if it holds up...

I'm done with MB as well. Just need to settle my diminished value claim with insurance company and I can get rid of it. Probably going back to BMW and an M6 (wife already has an M4)...
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by DragonRR
Did the shop take the bumper off to do the wrap? Perhaps Mercedes are making the assumption that this was done and has caused the problem.
I thought that, too...
Thankfully, they did not.
And you can see that the bumper wasn't removed because the edges of the bumper aren't wrapped.

The car has had fit/finish issues with these panels since day #1 and thankfully I have it documented.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
I'm new here, and I wondering where are the cars with these issues built?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts
2007 E350
I'm having the same problem on my 2018 coupe that I pick up last week. Bumper gap, black trim piece coming off, window seal not completely seal off, wind noise on driver side from 40 mph and up
Old 10-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 145 Likes on 118 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ErikM
I'm new here, and I wondering where are the cars with these issues built?
Good question
Old 10-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63 S coupe
I thought that, too...
Thankfully, they did not.
And you can see that the bumper wasn't removed because the edges of the bumper aren't wrapped.

The car has had fit/finish issues with these panels since day #1 and thankfully I have it documented.
Great. I just left Audi and ordered a C6S coupe. Audi customer care has become Audi we don't care about the customer. This after 13 Audi's. I feel for you
The following users liked this post:
auditoamg (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
The reason I ask where these cars are built.. Back in the day I sold BMW, Porsche, Audi.. cars built overseas were notorious for getting damaged between the factory and the dealer.. damage on the ships, damage at the port etc.. Port Damage was pretty frequent and was fixed there and then shipped to the dealer. Cars get damaged in Transport on trains, and trucks.. Manufacturer who stills owns the vehicle fixes it doesn't tell anyone and sends it on to the dealer for sale. 99% of damage is cosmetic and since the car is not yet titled and on an MSO ( Manufactures Statement of Origin) they don't have to tell anyone. Dealer isn't told so they don't know and if they do, don't usually disclose damage..
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by ErikM
The reason I ask where these cars are built.. Back in the day I sold BMW, Porsche, Audi.. cars built overseas were notorious for getting damaged between the factory and the dealer.. damage on the ships, damage at the port etc.. Port Damage was pretty frequent and was fixed there and then shipped to the dealer. Cars get damaged in Transport on trains, and trucks.. Manufacturer who stills owns the vehicle fixes it doesn't tell anyone and sends it on to the dealer for sale. 99% of damage is cosmetic and since the car is not yet titled and on an MSO ( Manufactures Statement of Origin) they don't have to tell anyone. Dealer isn't told so they don't know and if they do, don't usually disclose damage..
Makes sense, because I see much more issues of this type on cars in the US than in Europe...
Old 10-04-2017, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by japamg
Makes sense, because I see much more issues of this type on cars in the US than in Europe...
My car was German built.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Just for giggles, here are pictures of my car the night before delivery and the day I picked it up... Zoom in and you can already clearly see the panels don't fit... All of these before the car was wrapped. And apologies they are upside down - MBWorld keeps turning them upside down, regardless of what I do...
Attached Thumbnails Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_0171.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_0172.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_0174.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
That car definitely looks like it was damaged and repaired somewhere along its trip from Germany .
Old 10-05-2017, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by tekfoc
That car definitely looks like it was damaged and repaired somewhere along its trip from Germany .
I agree.
And proving it is another thing.
With the issues I've had, 😮
Old 10-05-2017, 01:47 AM

bmw
The side skirt I see the problem.

I dont know what I am looking to as to in regards the trunk and bumper.

If you are talking about the lights not lining up I see it on a lot of coupes.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:55 AM

C63s
Just for giggles, here are pictures of my car the night before delivery and the day I picked it up... Zoom in and you can already clearly see the panels don't fit... All of these before the car was wrapped. And apologies they are upside down - MBWorld keeps turning them upside down, regardless of what I do...
Yes, looks like it was damaged during the trip... Its not possible that the car comes that way from factory

Sorry about that and good luck
Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Probably won't make you feel any better, but I really can't tell that there is any abnormal gap on the bumper... is the gap on the passenger side between the trunk and bumper?

I can tell the gap with the sideskirt... that sucks... =/

You obviously noticed the "damages" before you took possession of the car, correct? Why did you take possession if it had those issues? I suppose I might have made the same mistake, assuming that MB would take good care of me... sorry man, feel your pain. Hope it somehow gets sorted. Have you posted a thread like this on the AMG Private Lounge? Maybe you'll get more response from there since they have Mercedes employees looking at that stuff.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
the bumper gap is on the driver's side...
If you look at the pics in the first post your can see it.....
And Mercedes is flipping me a bird.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Buyback was just denied.
Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63 S coupe
Lemon law in your state? In some states under the law, a defect is defined as any problem that "substantially impairs the use, value or safety" of the vehicle. That can include anything from a steering problem to water leaks or a bad paint job. I feel for you. I started buying Audis when all you heard were crickets in the show room. 13 in the last 18 years, all serviced at Audi dealers. Asked for some help from customer care for a transmission issue and they basically flipped me the bird too. The icing on the cake was the final letter denying the repair but to please contact them in the future if I need any help. WTF! Sold my R8 and ordered a C 63S. And then I see this. Apparently customer care doesn't exist for these brands.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by track rat
Lemon law in your state? In some states under the law, a defect is defined as any problem that "substantially impairs the use, value or safety" of the vehicle. That can include anything from a steering problem to water leaks or a bad paint job. I feel for you. I started buying Audis when all you heard were crickets in the show room. 13 in the last 18 years, all serviced at Audi dealers. Asked for some help from customer care for a transmission issue and they basically flipped me the bird too. The icing on the cake was the final letter denying the repair but to please contact them in the future if I need any help. WTF! Sold my R8 and ordered a C 63S. And then I see this. Apparently customer care doesn't exist for these brands.
I'm still waiting for the dealer to determine if THEY are going to do anything outside of Mercedes.
We've purchased 2 from them in the last 12 months.
Once I have the final response, I'll decide.
I have an attorney waiting to take the case.
I'm going to dump both vehicles, if I get no love.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!