C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!

Ok,

This is a bit of a rant, buried in a request for help and/or suggestions. I'm getting SUPER pissed at this point. When MB delivered my 2017 Coupe in November last year, the left rocker panel, front bumper and rear bumpers all didn't fit correctly / flush. There were significant gaps. The car was also delivered with a right front fender that doesn't align with the a-pillar or hood, but cannot be fixed. Fit and finish to the exterior is AWFUL.

The dealer was able to play with the front bumper and left rocker panel to correct the issues.

They have made multiple repair attempts to the rear bumper to get it to align properly, but have only been TEMPORARILY successful. Each time, the result is just "OK" but then gets worse (see pictures). This is how the rear bumper is now. It has never fit on the left side, but fits perfectly on the right. It has now gotten even worse.

Dealer says that ALL of their cars will eventually become like this because the bumper is plastic. My response - AYFKM? We have have had 3 Mercedes, including the two we currently own. The bumpers may not be perfect, but where they don't fit it's a bilateral issue - meaning, it's both sides EXACTLY the same. My bumper is just the left side, and it's getting worse. There's a 1/2" gap between the bumper and the taillight and you can now get a screw driver into the gap easily....

Any ideas/thoughts??? I've pushed back on the dealer, to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_4064.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_8981.jpg  

Last edited by auditoamg; 09-14-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at. You need to have a zoomed out pic and a zoom in pic.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
I have some of the issues u have
I have a trunk issue gap
and i have had the left rocker panel gap but i think my left rocker panel gap

where are you from
Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Bespoke88
I have some of the issues u have
I have a trunk issue gap
and i have had the left rocker panel gap but i think my left rocker panel gap

where are you from
I'm in Nevada.
The bumper on my car sucks.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
You can't kick this up to Mercedes NA or corporate or whatever it's called? Especially being a repeat customer and risking losing your future business you'd think they would take care of you.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by skim7x
You can't kick this up to Mercedes NA or corporate or whatever it's called? Especially being a repeat customer and risking losing your future business you'd think they would take care of you.
Dealer agreed to get regional involved.
They get the car Thursday.
Will update.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 PM

bmw
hard to see exactly what is wrong because its so zoomed in

curious what was wrong with your side skirt?

was it just loose?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
hard to see exactly what is wrong because its so zoomed in

curious what was wrong with your side skirt?

was it just loose?
It stuck out, as does the bumper.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 PM

bmw
hmm weird I know someone else with the same issue as well.

how did they fix it? order you a new one?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
hmm weird I know someone else with the same issue as well.

how did they fix it? order you a new one?
I won't know their solution until Friday.
It's going to meet the rep.
There are a number of other problems I'm going to have them work on....
Many for the second and third time.....😡
Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 PM

bmw
Oh I was talking about the left rocker panel..

You said it was already fixed?

I was wondering how they fixed it?

Order you a new one? Or?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
I had the same problem with my driver's rocker panel extension. I fixed it myself by taking the whole thing off, and 3M automotive tape the entire length.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:51 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by vaelin
I had the same problem with my driver's rocker panel extension. I fixed it myself by taking the whole thing off, and 3M automotive tape the entire length.
what do u mean by extension.. the black part? or the whole piece?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Oh I was talking about the left rocker panel..

You said it was already fixed?

I was wondering how they fixed it?

Order you a new one? Or?
Sorry!!!
They adjusted the OEM clips and then reattached.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Update: Mercedes regional rep won't replace the bumper.
He says they are all like that and it won't change anything.
So, the guy expects me to drive around with a car that looks damaged and take the loss when I trade or sell?
Everyone notices it.
I baby my cars, it's fully wrapped and ceramic coated, but yeah...
My bumper looks like ****.
NFW.
I'm going to corporate.
If that doesn't resolve then I am getting an attorney.
Not one body panel on this vehicle fits properly, but I'm supposed to just suck it up?
That's hysterical on a $94k vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (06-24-2020)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM

C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Update: Mercedes regional rep won't replace the bumper.
He says they are all like that and it won't change anything.
So, the guy expects me to drive around with a car that looks damaged and take the loss when I trade or sell?
Everyone notices it.
I baby my cars, it's fully wrapped and ceramic coated, but yeah...
My bumper looks like ****.
NFW.
I'm going to corporate.
If that doesn't resolve then I am getting an attorney.
Not one body panel on this vehicle fits properly, but I'm supposed to just suck it up?
That's hysterical on a $94k vehicle.
Would you mind taking "zoomed out" and zoomed in pics of what we are looking at? It's hard to tell what we're supposed to look at with the 2 pics that you posted. If the gaps are that big, it almost seems like your car has been in an accident... I.e. - there is no way that "quality control" would have let the car out of the factory that way. Can you confirm if other cars look the same? Do you have a paint meter to check if the car has been repainted? My wife's car purchase brand new had a "sudden delay" in delivery. Upon my inspection with a paint meter, it seemed like the whole right side of the car had been repainted and I could even tell where the tape marks were! You can imagine what hell broke loose at that point...

But seriously, I can't tell what I'm looking at in your pics. So it's hard for me to empathize...
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by theclutch
Would you mind taking "zoomed out" and zoomed in pics of what we are looking at? It's hard to tell what we're supposed to look at with the 2 pics that you posted. If the gaps are that big, it almost seems like your car has been in an accident... I.e. - there is no way that "quality control" would have let the car out of the factory that way. Can you confirm if other cars look the same? Do you have a paint meter to check if the car has been repainted? My wife's car purchase brand new had a "sudden delay" in delivery. Upon my inspection with a paint meter, it seemed like the whole right side of the car had been repainted and I could even tell where the tape marks were! You can imagine what hell broke loose at that point...

But seriously, I can't tell what I'm looking at in your pics. So it's hard for me to empathize...
Well it wasn't in an accident with me...
My camera's were on from day one with push impact notification.
When it's back, I'll take those pictures.
It's a 1/2" gap and not a scratch.
Further, the entire left side didnt fit and the right front fender.
The latter and bumper are obviously not fixed...
Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
So, I still have yet to get the car back from Mercedes, but I did hear from corporate: They refuse to fix it. In 24 hours, they were able to investigate and respond formally - LMAO! They stand behind the regional rep who says ALL our cars have the same issue. As I cannot get pictures of my actual car, here's some additional pictures proving Mercedes and the regional rep false. Please note that I also took pictures of the front right fender, where it meets the passenger A-pillar to show there is little to no seam lift. On my car, there is a 2mm warp in the quarter panel, a 1/2" gap on the left side bumper where it meets the trunk and the tail light. On the two cars illustrated, there is NO gap. They are both C63's - one is a convertible and the other a coupe.
Attached Thumbnails Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1282.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1283.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1284.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1285.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1286.jpg  

Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1287.jpg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-img_1288.jpg  
Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM

You don't want to make it easy, do you? All your pictures are upside down...
Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
MBWorld did it...
They are all right side up in the actual photos and on the camera.

I have no idea how to fix it on MB World.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by auditoamg
They have made multiple repair attempts to the rear bumper to get it to align properly, but have only been TEMPORARILY successful. Each time, the result is just "OK" but then gets worse (see pictures). This is how the rear bumper is now. It has never fit on the left side, but fits perfectly on the right. It has now gotten even worse.
Took me a few times to figure out what I was looking at with such a zoomed in picture. But now I see it. Definitely looks off. Read through your other posts. Glad to hear they resolved the other two issues you were having.

On your bumper, if they are able to get it to fit correctly "temporarily" as you describe, then it goes back to having a gap, something is not secured correctly. I think that should be the focus of the discussion with your regional rep.

Regarding overall panel fit quality, I agree it should be better on cars at this price point. Mercedes has scaled volume quite significantly over the last few years. Perhaps quality is not keeping up.

As a side note, on my cabriolet, the truck luggage flap was missing one of the 2 screws that hold it to the body. I was a bit surprised, but figured a quick trip by the dealer would be an easy fix. After multiple attempts to find the right screw (parts list drawing was wrong), they pulled it off another car in the showroom (My idea 30 minutes in). Watching the mechanic try and get the flap positioned, and both screws aligned, in the service driveway was quite amusing. I jumped in and helped, and I was on my way after about an hour.

I shared my story to represent that not all mechanics are created equal. Perhaps there is another mechanic at another dealer that is more experienced, that can get you dialed in. Not every mechanic is the same.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Try this... they are now upside down in original form, hopefully MBWorld flips them again.
Attached Thumbnails Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3cca.jpeg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3cce.jpeg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3cd2.jpeg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3cd6.jpeg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3cda.jpeg  

Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3cde.jpeg   Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!-fullsizeoutput_3ce2.jpeg  
Old 09-27-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
It keeps flipping them upside down, regardless of original orientation.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 Audi SQ5, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
This is messed up. Did they build your car on Friday after 2:00pm?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
😂
No, that's not mine...
Mine is the silver in the first post.
That's a car on the lot.
Mine is worse.
I didn't even take a picture of that pillar on move because it was so major, I just wanted the bumper fixed.
Mercedes is fixing neither and telling me to pound sand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another panel that doesn't fit - and getting WORSE!!!!