CPO C63 / C63S AMG Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
CPO C63 / C63S AMG Advice

Hi everyone!

I am in the market for a certified C63 AMG or C63 S AMG, and am testing the waters of the forum world for this car. I drive an Audi S4 today and my wife drives a Jaguar F Pace S.

I've found a 2015 CPO, but I was really targeting 2016 or newer. However, this particular example has less than 3k miles and all the options I’d want!

My question is is that based on the documents in this link, should I be concerned about anything? It looks like they did some cosmetic wheel refinishes, but also several mechanical fixes but they look like they could have been internal TSBs or recalls.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Josh

https://www.ipacket.info/EAB7F87B-A0...A7E5E86C486E91
Old 01-21-2018, 11:07 PM

Also, I’m perusing the forums but is there anything I should look out for mechanically after the warranty period is up (CPO would be through 12/2020 or for $5k 12/2022)? If these are fairly reliable it may not be worth the extra $5k.

I know in the Audi world, the DSG is fairly reliable but also a big expense of something does go wrong. Not sure what the failure rate is for the Mercedes 7G, which is what I believe this has?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63 S coupe
DSG fairly reliable? 2010 S4 and I just spent $13,000 replacing the transmission. I asked Audi if they would cover 1/3 of that cost. Nope. Can you say class action law suit. They are experiencing a lot of failures. Owned 13 Audi's and that was the final straw. Sold the S4 and the R8. Now that I'm done ranting, My C63S arrives in port on Feb.2. My advice would be to pay the $5000 for an extended warranty assuming it covers transmission, engine, electronics, etc.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S AMG
You should kelly blue book the vehicle with all the features and miles and see what the price gives you. My 2015 C63 S AMG Edition 1 package with the black and red interior stitched sports seats, red/black carbon fiber, well you know the edition 1 package extras @ 34k miles cost me $52,998 from Carmax 2 weeks ago. 66k sounds a bit steep even if its CPO. The car looks nice except the fact that the sports seats have heavy creasing in driver side. Hell my 34k sports seats don't even have that much creasing. 2 things you should look into. Were the miles dropped at a shop and then registered at MB dealer for service only. Note my brother did it to his BMW and there is no way they can find out except logs at serviced areas. A person who usually does this is skilled and knows there are like 2-3 areas that need to be reprogrammed and with a special computer. Second thing, this could have been a rental /courtesy vehicle due to the creasing etc, but the low mileage and in almost 2 year in the car fax less than 1k miles is concerning to me.

I don't know, just check into all and explore your options. Carmax has some really nice C63 AMG's. Last week the 2017 coupe gray w/ yellow stripes edition 1 package was listed for 73k. The salesman @ the carmax I know had it on hold for me since I may of wanted it, but it was too much money. Once it listed again, 5 people were interested in hours. You have to check daily man. https://www.carmax.com/car/15439485

Last edited by Juniorp187; 01-21-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 PM

C63 S AMG
Originally Posted by JWreck
Also, I’m perusing the forums but is there anything I should look out for mechanically after the warranty period is up (CPO would be through 12/2020 or for $5k 12/2022)? If these are fairly reliable it may not be worth the extra $5k.

I know in the Audi world, the DSG is fairly reliable but also a big expense of something does go wrong. Not sure what the failure rate is for the Mercedes 7G, which is what I believe this has?
You should double check that, usually its 4 years or 50,000 miles from the date of first sale I think, not the manufactured date. Mines a 2015 and its up in 2019. Also, you can do a extended warranty with them. If you will be trading or selling the car, don't waste your money on extended warranty. Also, I got mines through carmax and added the carmax care up to 100,000 miles. Dealer extended warranty was too expensive. Noted that you are not forced to select extended warranty at time of purchase. When the vehicle is close to the ending of warranty, you can extend it at that time. Usually they be calling you over the phone to get you hooked on it. Waste of money on a supposedly 3k mile car. You still have 47k miles to go and purchase it before it ends... Remember if you by a vehicle that is still in warranty no matter where, dealership, MB, or private sale. You can just go up to them and ask for the extended warranty if you want.

Last edited by Juniorp187; 01-21-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Juniorp187
You should kelly blue book the vehicle with all the features and miles and see what the price gives you. My 2015 C63 S AMG Edition 1 package with the black and red interior stitched sports seats, red/black carbon fiber, well you know the edition 1 package extras @ 34k miles cost me $52,998 from Carmax 2 weeks ago. 66k sounds a bit steep even if its CPO. The car looks nice except the fact that the sports seats have heavy creasing in driver side. Hell my 34k sports seats don't even have that much creasing. 2 things you should look into. Were the miles dropped at a shop and then registered at MB dealer for service only. Note my brother did it to his BMW and there is no way they can find out except logs at serviced areas. A person who usually does this is skilled and knows there are like 2-3 areas that need to be reprogrammed and with a special computer. Second thing, this could have been a rental /courtesy vehicle due to the creasing etc, but the low mileage and in almost 2 year in the car fax less than 1k miles is concerning to me.
i
I don't know, just check into all and explore your options. Carmax has some really nice C63 AMG's. Last week the 2017 coupe gray w/ yellow stripes edition 1 package was listed for 73k. The salesman @ the carmax I know had it on hold for me since I may of wanted it, but it was too much money. Once it listed again, 5 people were interested in hours. You have to check daily man. https://www.carmax.com/car/15439485
yep, the mileage concerned me and one of the first things I noticed was the seat bolster wear. Not indicative of 3k miles unless they were super hard and the driver was, erm, a bit large.

agreed on the price too. Even with the low miles I’d be hard pressed to say 67k is a good value. KBB is a tough read, but market shows more like 62k would be appropriate.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:33 PM

You should double check that, usually its 4 years or 50,000 miles from the date of first sale I think, not the manufactured date. Mines a 2015 and its up in 2019. Also, you can do a extended warranty with them. If you will be trading or selling the car, don't waste your money on extended warranty. Also, I got mines through carmax and added the carmax care up to 100,000 miles. Dealer extended warranty was too expensive. Noted that you are not forced to select extended warranty at time of purchase. When the vehicle is close to the ending of warranty, you can extend it at that time. Usually they be calling you over the phone to get you hooked on it. Waste of money on a supposedly 3k mile car. You still have 47k miles to go and purchase it before it ends... Remember if you by a vehicle that is still in warranty no matter where, dealership, MB, or private sale. You can just go up to them and ask for the extended warranty if you want.
havent seen the documentation, but salesman said it’s CPO thru 12/2020. Likely a later build, not uncommon. I prefer those anyway, gives more time on the warranty.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:40 PM

C63 S AMG

yep, the mileage concerned me and one of the first things I noticed was the seat bolster wear. Not indicative of 3k miles unless they were super hard and the driver was, erm, a bit large.

agreed on the price too. Even with the low miles I’d be hard pressed to say 67k is a good value. KBB is a tough read, but market shows more like 62k would be appropriate.
Yeah, could of been a big person, but dang. The leather on the sport seats is freaking incredible and really hard to crease. This aint easy leather you can squish down. It's some tough german **** man. I'm kind of blown away with the 3k miles thing. Anyways, if this was really a rental/courtesy vehicle man its been hardly used and mileage will reflect (very low). Anyways, look on autotrader for CPO and Carmax. Note Carmax is really good and you can transfer/purchase it with ease. If you go through Autotrader and find one CPO in another state, you will most likely need to travel there and make the purchase/financing or do it at your bank and pay for it online through the MB dealership in another state. It was a pain for me as I waited weeks for the right car, but it will show up man. Just dig everyday mornings, afternoon, and night. Carmax had a sick 2015 CLS63AMG and I missed out on it. Now I got the edition 1 c63s and im happy. Just try to get one 2015+ vehicle. 2014 models suck and interior is completely different and exterior also.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:44 PM

Yeah, could of been a big person, but dang. The leather on the sport seats is freaking incredible and really hard to crease. This aint easy leather you can squish down. It's some tough german **** man. I'm kind of blown away with the 3k miles thing. Anyways, if this was really a rental/courtesy vehicle man its been hardly used and mileage will reflect (very low). Anyways, look on autotrader for CPO and Carmax. Note Carmax is really good and you can transfer/purchase it with ease. If you go through Autotrader and find one CPO in another state, you will most likely need to travel there and make the purchase/financing or do it at your bank and pay for it online through the MB dealership in another state. It was a pain for me as I waited weeks for the right car, but it will show up man. Just dig everyday mornings, afternoon, and night. Carmax had a sick 2015 CLS63AMG and I missed out on it. Now I got the edition 1 c63s and im happy. Just try to get one 2015+ vehicle. 2014 models suck and interior is completely different and exterior also.
yeah I had originally wanted a 2016 +. I believe 2015 was the first year of the refresh with the new motor, and I usually try to stay away from first year anything. Usually.

This car makes me uneasy. I’ll probably talk to the salesman but really thinking I’m gonna pass on this one. CarMax only has one right now but it’s close by, and black (bleh).
Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 PM

C63 S AMG

yeah I had originally wanted a 2016 +. I believe 2015 was the first year of the refresh with the new motor, and I usually try to stay away from first year anything. Usually.

This car makes me uneasy. I’ll probably talk to the salesman but really thinking I’m gonna pass on this one. CarMax only has one right now but it’s close by, and black (bleh).
Yeah, Anything but black. Black is difficult to maintain and scratches are easily visible. Just get any other color and put some Xpel film protection and ceramic coating. Car Cover will get dusty and scratch the paint removing on and off
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 AM

Check this one out.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14624389

Is it normal for the star on the steering wheel to be black or did the previous owner modify it?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
Check this one out.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14624389

Is it normal for the star on the steering wheel to be black or did the previous owner modify it?
Supposed to be silver.

Also looks like they had the rims painted... "poorly" at that.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by digitalnav
Supposed to be silver.

Also looks like they had the rims painted... "poorly" at that.
yeah, lol. I think the wheels and the emblem are plasti-dipped. Gross
Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
z06
FWIW, Park Place in Dallas is severely overpriced. That car is nice but not worth the "low mileage" premium they are trying to charge. I've seen similar low mile cpo cars priced at 59,999 on Autotrader. MB of Austin had a 2016 cpo with 12k miles and similar options that sold for around the 61k mark (price started at 64k but lowered to 61k after a month). I would personally pass on this one.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S

You can buy the CPO warranty for less, around $3,400 from some dealers. Because it is registered to your VIN, any dealer can sell it. And if you end up not using it, it is refundable.

I'm not worried about the 7G transmission; only regarding the multi-plate clutch. Like the S4, try to avoid speeds around 1-10 MPH where the clutch has to slip constantly, and it should be fine.

My 2012 S4 made it 93k miles with no issue at all. Of course, that does include the $700 transmission fluid change every 35k miles that Audi requires. To be completely honest, I really like my C63S, but if I could go back in time, I might just put a Stage 2 on my S4 rather than purchase this car. The C63 is much nicer, it just doesn't feel as raw to me as the S4 did with the idle cam-shake and DCT shifting speed/feeling. If you can wait a couple of years, once the new RS5 comes out, prices on the C63 will probably be even lower. Also, this is the worst month of the year to buy a car.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by golfinz
FWIW, Park Place in Dallas is severely overpriced. That car is nice but not worth the "low mileage" premium they are trying to charge. I've seen similar low mile cpo cars priced at 59,999 on Autotrader. MB of Austin had a 2016 cpo with 12k miles and similar options that sold for around the 61k mark (price started at 64k but lowered to 61k after a month). I would personally pass on this one.
It looked overpriced. I have a coworker who has access to MMR (where dealers go to buy lease cars from auction) and it looks like Park Place paid 51k for this car. So, a 15k spread. I’ll give them 3k for certification, maybe 1.5k for new tires and 2k for various fixes and we are still under 62 with a healthy profit margin!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Any chance this was and AMG academy car? That age, with that low miles is not so strange, but add in the seat wear and it is not normal. At Academy people are getting in and out of them all day and that would accelerate the seat wear? Just a thought
Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 507AMG
Any chance this was and AMG academy car? That age, with that low miles is not so strange, but add in the seat wear and it is not normal. At Academy people are getting in and out of them all day and that would accelerate the seat wear? Just a thought
mhmm fair point. All the guy said when I asked is that some of their customers store their cars.

Not with seats looking like that!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 AM

The CarMax one is intriguing. I’d prefer a C63 just for the reduced maintenance costs but I’ve got CarMax checking on some things on that C63S.

My understanding is that the C63 has normal brake rotors and the S has carbon ceramics. Replacing tires I’m fine with every year.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
A Carmax car is possibly a step-up from a private party transaction, but a Mercedes CPO and extended warranty is worth so much more.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by oajr
A Carmax car is possibly a step-up from a private party transaction, but a Mercedes CPO and extended warranty is worth so much more.

Good luck with the hunt.
im curious to hear your opinion on why that is? As far as I can tell, most sold through CarMax are at a lower price point than dealers, coupled with MaxCare which seems to include about everything a CPO does.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Not sure how anyones understanding could be that the S come with Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Not one piece of literature that I have ever seen states that. Probably because it is not the case. Carbon brakes are an option and are not standard on the S. The only thing I can think of is that they may have been standard on the Edition 1. Not trying to take the thread off track but rather trying to cut down on mis information floating around.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 507AMG
Not sure how anyones understanding could be that the S come with Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Not one piece of literature that I have ever seen states that. Probably because it is not the case. Carbon brakes are an option and are not standard on the S. The only thing I can think of is that they may have been standard on the Edition 1. Not trying to take the thread off track but rather trying to cut down on mis information floating around.
my bad, apparently. They are a 2 piece rotor though right?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
Happy to give my thoughts. When buying a used car, knowing the most about its history is probably what we’re after the most. Sometimes dealing with a private party lends more comfort given proof of documentation which I do find value in. I’ve sold a car to Carmax because it was the easiest and fastest form of liquidity available. Others might use Carmax because they’re the only liquidity provider to the seller. As a consumer, I don’t have anywhere near the confidence in the Carmax certification process ESPECIALLY in regards to an AMG built Mercedes. Do I have more confidence in the CPO process at an Mercedes AMG center? Absolutely, but that’s just me. I’m of the opinion that prices in a high end, niche vehicle such as a C63/S AMG, is priced lower than at a Mercedes dealership for a reason. It’s really not Carmax’s forte or market in my mind.

Regards,
Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by oajr
Happy to give my thoughts. When buying a used car, knowing the most about its history is probably what we’re after the most. Sometimes dealing with a private party lends more comfort given proof of documentation which I do find value in. I’ve sold a car to Carmax because it was the easiest and fastest form of liquidity available. Others might use Carmax because they’re the only liquidity provider to the seller. As a consumer, I don’t have anywhere near the confidence in the Carmax certification process ESPECIALLY in regards to an AMG built Mercedes. Do I have more confidence in the CPO process at an Mercedes AMG center? Absolutely, but that’s just me. I’m of the opinion that prices in a high end, niche vehicle such as a C63/S AMG, is priced lower than at a Mercedes dealership for a reason. It’s really not Carmax’s forte or market in my mind.

Regards,
Thanks for your input! I agree - knowing the history is the most important. Unfortunately, CarFax isn't required in Texas, and dealers are about as honest as you can throw them. Buying from a member of the forum is probably a safe bet, but I am a little leery buying from an individual unless there's a significant lifespan left in the warranty and it transfers.

Regarding CarMax, totally agree. I took my S4 to have it appraised to sell to them recently and they came in super low. Their margin would have been 30% on that - no thanks! However, my understanding of the CarMax warranty is that it's just as inclusive as a CPO warranty and you can use whatever dealer you'd like. It does give me pause, however, because i have a great relationship with my service department at the local Audi dealer, and I'm sure I still would if I hadn't bought from them, though I'm guessing they'd have less leniency using a 3rd party warranty than they do now (they really take care of me first, and deal with the documentation and questions later).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CPO C63 / C63S AMG Advice