Sponsored by:

5 series to C AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 427
5 series to C AMG?

My current daily driver is a 2016 BMW 535D. It's loaded and is a great car. A car I really enjoy. It has great torque (~ 425 ft-lbs) and exceptional gas mileage (~ 37 mpg). My family fits very well and It drives and rides with great comfort (emphasis added). It’s not “sporty” necessarily but it does have the M sport package and gets the job done (I live in FL. We have no twisties). It has truly been my favorite car to date and my lease is up in about 9 months. Long term reliability is still questionable.

I also own a 60th anniversary 2013 427 Corvette. It's driven very little. Mostly because 1) It's a two seater and the family of 5 can't come, and 2) from a daily driver perspective, I enjoy the diesel a great deal more.

So, after looking introspectively, I’ve decided I like the comfort of the BMW, the torque of the diesel, and the V8 sound and power of the Vette. Hence my consideration of the C63S AMG Sedan.

I guess my questions would be:

Does the C63S provide the daily comfort achieved by my diesel? Gas mileage will suffer greatly if I choose to purchase the C as I love experiencing torque and I don’t often let people leap from lights in front of me.

Has anyone transitioned from a 5 series to a C series and regretted the lack of “luxury”? I feel the jump from the 3 to 5 series is huge in terms of comfort and “luxury” and wonder if the jump from the C to E class is similar, hence feeling like I’m stepping backward. The E class is out of my price range and is not in consideration.

Does anyone have a family of 5 they fit comfortably into the C? We still have one in a carseat?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
The C sedan is not a big car, with two adults up front the rear leg room space is not great. I'd look at the previous gen W212 (2014-2016) E63s, as a CPO one would be in the same price range as current W205 C63 sedans. I had a 2014 E63 and loved that car.
The following users liked this post:
J.J.D.O. (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
I have a family of 5 and we all fit fine in the C63s sedan...not the most comfortable - fairly comparable to our civic (bought for fuel economy and to rack miles on) in terms of family comfort.

As said before, though, coming from a 5 series, you will be going down in size, so the E might be a better fit.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
5 series and C class (especially c63) are not super similar in drive style nor seating space as the 5 series was designed with the comfort of all passengers, and the c63 was designed more so for the enjoyment of the driver (in large part). Although I would say the family seating capability is equivalent to that of any normal sedan, so no real issues there.

maybe some more beemer heads can correct me but in the Beamer line I would say the c63 is more comparable to an M4 from a driving perspective and m5 from seating. So you can use that as reference maybe.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 C63 AMG S
So I used to have an E60 M5 fully done up and was totaled so I ended up getting an F10 550i, I honestly think based on the F10 550i that the C63S has more leg room for passengers. Now granted I do have the AMG Performance racing seats. But I have sat in the back with me sitting all the way back and have more leg room then I did in my old F10 550i. Granted the doorway is bigger and easier to get in and out of the 550i. But in my opinion there is more leg room for people in the back. The C63S is more narrow I think compared to the F10 550i, but all in all I think the C63s is way better.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Ride quality is going to be very different for you. IIRC the BMW has thicker sidewalls (although likely has run flats) and the C63 is going to much more harsh with the shorter sidewalls and tighter suspension.

It is totally different. So if you still want “luxury” and that equates to ride quality for you, try an extended test drive.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by JWreck
Ride quality is going to be very different for you. IIRC the BMW has thicker sidewalls (although likely has run flats) and the C63 is going to much more harsh with the shorter sidewalls and tighter suspension.

It is totally different. So if you still want “luxury” and that equates to ride quality for you, try an extended test drive.
+1 on ride firmness issue but I think the leg room is good ,but getting in is not great.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 427
The réponses thus far are much appreciated. This is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for.

It's hard to describe what it is about the "luxury" component of the 5 series that I like. it definitely has something to do with ride quality and size, though fit and finish seem to be much improved in the transition from the 3 to 5 series. Though I've never investigated the C and E class, I suspect the transition from class to class is similar. Based on the responses so far, I'm of the opinion the C63 sedan and M3 are marketed as equivalents as are the C63 coupe to M4 and E AMG to M5.

I will take the advice of several and investigate my options as it relates to a CPO'd e class AMG.

Again, your thoughts and advice are appreciated.