C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you drive a C63 on this road everyday?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Countryman JCW, Lexus GX470
Would you drive a C63 on this road everyday?

Hi all! I live in a rural area with a lot of narrow, winding backroads that feature tons of sharp corners and a lot of elevation changes. Up until now I have favored lightweight sports cars (in the video it is my current NC Miata) just because of the roads I travel on a daily basis and the toll that they take on brakes, tires and suspension on heavier cars. I am currently weighing my options (hah, pun sort of intended) for my next car and the C63 is definitely interesting to me for its strong combination of performance, sound, appearance and luxury but it is definitely heavier than any sports car that I have owned in quite a while. I am willing to make the tradeoff for some extra weight to add power and refinement as the little Miata is a fun sports car over short distances but no further but I want to make sure I am being smart about the process of selection.

My question is, do any of you drive on winding backroads on a regular basis and would you have any reservation about doing so in the current (or refreshed 2019) C63? Most likely a sedan in the non S variant. Here's a POV style video I shot of the first 15 minutes of the commute (which is the twisty stuff - after that it is a bit of 4 lane into town) but you certainly don't have to watch the entire thing to get the gist.

Thanks for watching and commenting!
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
We like to call this "through the twisties."
Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
We like to call this "through the twisties."
It is indeed! But is it C63 material?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:25 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
The C63 could handle this in its sleep...

Last edited by KJ; 05-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by KJ
The C63 could handle this in it's sleep...
Well, I would like to think anything could handle this, if driven at a sedate enough pace. But at a more enthusiastic or spirited pace some cars (and I would hope not the C63, which is why I asked) start showing weakness in handling, ride, brakes, etc. I have zero experience with modern MB cars (although I did do a tech drive in Las Vegas many, many years ago where MB was featuring some of their AMG cars and that really started my interest and appreciate for them) and I seriously doubt any dealer is going to let me "borrow" a C63 to come run it through my personal road course before I sign on the dotted line so in that respect I am depending on the community for feedback.
So thanks for your response!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
I meant the C63 could handle these curves "in its sleep" at your pace of 60 MPH.

With the amount of power the C63 has, crawling along at 60 MPH takes a lot of restraint because you could easily get up to triple digit speeds in no time.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C63S
I drive on similar roads to this everyday in Roanoke, VA. I like to put it in Sports+, roll-down the windows and listen to the beautiful sound of the exhaust popping and crackling. You'll have no problems at all, except for the big stupid grin plastered all over your face!
The following users liked this post:
MattRG (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zakonax
I drive on similar roads to this everyday in Roanoke, VA. I like to put it in Sports+, roll-down the windows and listen to the beautiful sound of the exhaust popping and crackling. You'll have no problems at all, except for the big stupid grin plastered all over your face!
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by MattRG
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know!
This is not too much of twisties but a nice rural road with minimal traffic. When you buy a AMG you get one free day at the track and you can see just what its able to do and it is a lot.
Buy it and you will look for more Mountain roads with more curves and you will be pleased how it performs. Not only is it great to drive and listen to the sound but your doing it in a car that has a interior you will be pleased to be in for your commutes.
MattRG (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RDOCA
This is not too much of twisties but a nice rural road with minimal traffic. When you buy a AMG you get one free day at the track and you can see just what its able to do and it is a lot.
Buy it and you will look for more Mountain roads with more curves and you will be pleased how it performs. Not only is it great to drive and listen to the sound but your doing it in a car that has a interior you will be pleased to be in for your commutes.
And I agree with you about the interior. It is one of the major reasons I am looking at the C63. I absolutely love the way the cockpit looks in the the red and black color combination!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG c63s
I take my 2017 c63s coupe through the Malibu Canyon roads (Decker, Stunt, Mulholland etc...) every weekend. I cannot speak for the sedan but the coupe can easily handle these roads. The nice thing about the C63s is the torque that allows the car to pull itself through the turns. Even the tightest turns can be handled at pretty high speed.

I have had my car for 15 months now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I start it. I usually start looking for a new car after 12 months of ownership but there is nothing on the market (in my price range of $100K) that I would trade my C63 for. It is the perfect daily driver and a great weekend canyon driver. The engine in the c63 is amazing in both sound and performance. If you watch some Youtube videos where they compare the c63 to other cars it may not be the fastest on the track but the reviewers always pick it as the most fun to drive. The only car I would consider to replace my 2017 c63s coupe for is a 2019 c63s coupe.

I hope the above helps with your decision
MattRG (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mazyo
I take my 2017 c63s coupe through the Malibu Canyon roads (Decker, Stunt, Mulholland etc...) every weekend. I cannot speak for the sedan but the coupe can easily handle these roads. The nice thing about the C63s is the torque that allows the car to pull itself through the turns. Even the tightest turns can be handled at pretty high speed.

I have had my car for 15 months now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I start it. I usually start looking for a new car after 12 months of ownership but there is nothing on the market (in my price range of $100K) that I would trade my C63 for. It is the perfect daily driver and a great weekend canyon driver. The engine in the c63 is amazing in both sound and performance. If you watch some Youtube videos where they compare the c63 to other cars it may not be the fastest on the track but the reviewers always pick it as the most fun to drive. The only car I would consider to replace my 2017 c63s coupe for is a 2019 c63s coupe.

I hope the above helps with your decision
It absolutely does and I appreciate your feedback. I'm a little gun shy when it comes to heavier performance cars and their brakes especially because I know they will be glazed and vibrating in short order on the roads I drive on a daily basis unless they are extremely good. (Well, to be honest, going through brakes has as much to do with the way I drive as it does the road, doesn't it? ) And I have no doubt that the current C63 is very good but I also know whatever I buy I will be living with it for a while and I need to factor in consumable costs, not so much for me but to maintain the goodwill of my long-suffering wife. =)

I really like the "sleeper" look of the C63 sedan and by all accounts it is a well regarded car that is loved by its owners so that says a lot. And it also helps to have a forum like this to come and get some opinions from folks who use theirs on a regular basis. Hopefully I will be able to schedule a test drive on one of the outgoing 2018 cars before the end of the summer and that should tell me if I am on the right track or not.

Last edited by MattRG; 05-30-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
I think the biggest problem will be trying to obey the speed limit.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:28 AM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
It absolutely does and I appreciate your feedback. I'm a little gun shy when it comes to heavier performance cars and their brakes especially because I know they will be glazed and vibrating in short order on the roads I drive on a daily basis unless they are extremely good. (Well, to be honest, going through brakes has as much to do with the way I drive as it does the road, doesn't it? ) And I have no doubt that the current C63 is very good but I also know whatever I buy I will be living with it for a while and I need to factor in consumable costs, not so much for me but to maintain the goodwill of my long-suffering wife. =)

I really like the "sleeper" look of the C63 sedan and by all accounts it is a well regarded car that is loved by its owners so that says a lot. And it also helps to have a forum like this to come and get some opinions from folks who use theirs on a regular basis. Hopefully I will be able to schedule a test drive on one of the outgoing 2018 cars before the end of the summer and that should tell me if I am on the right track or not.
Most importantly, if you get a C63, people won't call your car a "chick car" anymore.

J/K
raudiace4 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Placing a camera behind an A pillar?

Anyway, C63 is a great fit.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by midareff1
I think the biggest problem will be trying to obey the speed limit.
Sorry but not possible
Old 05-30-2018, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan

If your concerned about the brakes --the S has larger and better brakes and the eLSD diff for the twistys.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
I only watched 4 minutes of the video but assuming the rest of the road is similar, other than the two junctions you stopped at to turn, if you didn't want to use your brakes much , you can actually allow the car weight to slow you down by just letting go of the throttle (or at least my heavy estate slows down even on gentle declines ) on most of the down hill sections before corners, the weight will naturally be distributed to the front of the car and the curves are very gentle, you don't have to touch the brakes at all unless you're speeding. Even then the vehicle will handle those curves at a reasonably high speed , no problems provided your tyres aren't completely eaten up. it is a heavy car but I'm sure after a few days you would get used to sensing how the weight of the car moves around on corners. The brakes do not really fade unless you're tracking the car and for normal spirited driving they're really powerful and pretty much fade free. when braking hard , the only thing you feel is the weight of the car pushing forward.

the road did get a bit bumpy after your second junction turn off but if you're cruising in that section you can easily push the suspension button to soften it up if it feels at all rough and you're in a more aggressive driving mode. should be fine in comfort. note though it doesn't have a soft suspension in any setting, it is quite firm at all times but I've got the performance seats and I don't mind it and none of my passengers complain about the ride quality so I think it is just about okay but I'd look into that.

I can't tell from the video but the c63 doesn't seem too wide to fit any section with oncoming traffic coming the other way but hard to tell.

the 4.0 litre C63 is an excellent handling vehicle , has a very even front to back weight distribution and with the three levels of traction control , you'd soon find that in the esp on mode , the vehicle electronics make it extremely easy to drive this car and push it, if you're going too hard into a corner and braking late , the esp will push you to understeer a bit to ensure you don't slide out. if you're in sport handling mode , it can sometimes overseer but it is highly controllable. I never drive it with traction control off. The only real weakness is the weight of the car but the steering is really light so you hardly notice. some of our roads here in the UK are quite frankly third world quality and sometimes i encounter big potholes in the middle of a corner at a higher speed and in that instance, all 4 wheels slide a bit but the vehicle always continues to point in the right direction (with esp on ) .

the miata is a driving enthusiasts dream, light , handles really well and requires a lot revving to go fast which creates a thrilling atmosphere. the c63 is different. it is not quite on the top of the list in terms of purist driving as it has lots of electronics involved but which save my bacon on a daily basis when I abuse the vehicle. The big difference here is the c63 has a glorious engine , sound track and luxurious cabin. at lower speeds , it provides more enjoyment than an M4 but the M4 is a better track car and overall with the competition pack is slightly sharper. Still i think as a daily personally I'd pick a c63 but I'm biased . the 63 nails the muscle car part though. has too much torque for those wheels and certainly in my first few weeks driving it , I had to get used to not putting my foot down more sometimes a just a few mm on the throttle pedal or else have the wheels spin out . That in itself makes it a joy to drive. it is close enough to being a proper drivers car but also has so many other facets to it that make it a really compelling overall option. it is practical with 4 or 5 seats , a large boot , luxurious and can also do the sports car bit rather well. so provided that's what you're after, then it is a great car.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s

Last edited by longbow0404; 05-31-2018 at 12:35 PM.