Sponsored by:

2018 Buyers Remorse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Class
Originally Posted by KJ
Exactly, in a few years, the 2019 face lift will be old news and the W206 C63S will be what everyone is talking about.
Unless, God forbid, it's not a V8 anymore, in which case nobody will talk about it, or will, but for all the wrong reasons.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 Raptor 802A Leadfoot
I just posted a thread with this same dilemma. I can’t really stretch my budget to buy a 19’ Coupe but I can go ahead and buy a new 18’ Coupe. The sticker on the 18’ I’m looking at is $90k and they’re selling it to me for $79k. I don’t think I care too much about the 19’ anymore. In the end, both the 18’/19’ will look outdated compared to whatever else will be coming out after that. So boys, stop anticipating potential opportunities and take the ones that are handed to you!
Old 09-02-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C63
Originally Posted by bmw lol
I just posted a thread with this same dilemma. I can’t really stretch my budget to buy a 19’ Coupe but I can go ahead and buy a new 18’ Coupe. The sticker on the 18’ I’m looking at is $90k and they’re selling it to me for $79k. I don’t think I care too much about the 19’ anymore. In the end, both the 18’/19’ will look outdated compared to whatever else will be coming out after that. So boys, stop anticipating potential opportunities and take the ones that are handed to you!
I got 10 % off MSRP on my 19 ordered coupe which is basically a 2K difference from what you paid for a vehicle off the lot. Difference is that I got to choose my options and exactly how I wanted to build it. I think 2K is worth the ability to choose exactly how you want the car and the refresh.

for some reason people think the 19s are going for MSRP or minimal discount.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212E63s[rwd sold]W211E63[sold] 645ci [sold]2018 C63s Estate[sold], 2017 gla 45 [Sold] E46m3 [sold]
Originally Posted by esquesk

I got 10 % off MSRP on my 19 ordered coupe which is basically a 2K difference from what you paid for a vehicle off the lot. Difference is that I got to choose my options and exactly how I wanted to build it. I think 2K is worth the ability to choose exactly how you want the car and the refresh.

for some reason people think the 19s are going for MSRP or minimal discount.
That indeed may be the case , certainly here in the UK now that the pricing information has been released , the base price has increased by around gbp8 to 10k for each model, so either way you'll be paying more for the 2019s even with similar discount. That said, they certainly seem a step up vs the pre facelifts and the non s versions also have the e diff now. The new traction control settings etc I think make for an overall more playful beast if you're that way inclined and probably overall worth the price hike
Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
Very happy with my 2018 sedan. Ordered what I want and love it. No regrets at all.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E450Estate
No regrets is always the preferred state of mind. We ordered a 2019 E Wagon. Ordered in May, and was told buy our salesperson that normally cars are delivered to customers around 30 days after they get to port. We were expecting our car by mid, or late August. Our car has been sitting in port since late July. Not happy, but fully understand how German vehicle manufacturers sometimes can’t always have the best interest of their customers in mind.
I think what really displeases me is that “no one,” seems to know when or these vehicles will be released to dealers. Someone should know that.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by Indydom
No regrets is always the preferred state of mind. We ordered a 2019 E Wagon. Ordered in May, and was told buy our salesperson that normally cars are delivered to customers around 30 days after they get to port. We were expecting our car by mid, or late August. Our car has been sitting in port since late July. Not happy, but fully understand how German vehicle manufacturers sometimes can’t always have the best interest of their customers in mind.
I think what really displeases me is that “no one,” seems to know when or these vehicles will be released to dealers. Someone should know that.
Not sure if youve seen the latest, but, if you ordered an E63 wagon like me (couldnt tell by your reference to just an E-Wagon), the 2019s could be delayed being released to dealers until December of this year (i.e., the 4th Quarter). The 63s are being certified last (according to new European emissions regulations) after the non-AMGs.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
I can’t believe how many people are treating the facelift as no big deal. AMG finally putting a true MCT in the C63 ALONG with an even wider track/body is a huge game changer. IMHO the C63S is now the king of luxury sports cars outperforming the M3/M4 in every category now.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by AMGC
I can’t believe how many people are treating the facelift as no big deal. AMG finally putting a true MCT in the C63 ALONG with an even wider track/body is a huge game changer. IMHO the C63S is now the king of luxury sports cars outperforming the M3/M4 in every category now.
Yup, I agree with you. MY19 is a huge step up from MY15-18. Can't wait for delivery of my new C63 Coupe
Old 09-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
AMG finally putting a true MCT in the C63
Both transmissions are "true" MCTs. The difference is the new one has 9 speeds (versus 7), and has a wet-start clutch (versus a torque converter). In any event, the 0-60 times are unchanged in 2019.

ALONG with an even wider track/body
The track and body remain unchanged for 2019. The optional aero package adds slighter wider side skirts.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
+1
But as always it's a case of each to their own for all of their own reasons, most people simply just trying to justify their spend, it'll never end one way or the other lol. Post facelift/mid life update is ALWAYS better than initial release !

Track remains the same though, not sure where you read/heard it's wider ? haven't seen or read any formal comparisons with any of the current M3/M4's either, I'd definitely expect a better showing of the facelift vs pre facelift 63 against the M's from all the press releases it's definitely raised the game, but we'll have to wait for the comparos to come through to see if finally it topples the M's in an overall way

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Yup, I agree with you. MY19 is a huge step up from MY15-18. Can't wait for delivery of my new C63 Coupe
+1
It is a big step up (6,500 new parts/components overall) - a massive step up in the interior and electronic systems wise, AFAIK 80-85% revised/updated, people seem to think it's minor because of the subtle exterior changes.

Originally Posted by brevets
Both transmissions are "true" MCTs. The difference is the new one has 9 speeds (versus 7), and has a wet-start clutch (versus a torque converter). In any event, the 0-60 times are unchanged in 2019.
The track and body remain unchanged for 2019. The optional aero package adds slighter wider side skirts.
That wet clutch update to the new 9spd MCT vs the previous 7spd MCT set up is paying off and would rank as a major update IMHO, it also cuts a lot of weight.
I've driven the new E63S and the difference in transmission operation and performance vs the older 7 speeder is very noticeable, it's super quick and extremely accurate in the way it shifts, same cannot be said of the previous trans.
I've never seen the OEM factory quoted time of 0-60mph or 0-100km/h time met by the pre face lift 63 in any of the instrumented tests I've seen or read, it's hovered around 4.2-4.7secs 0-100km/h I've since seen 2 mag/video instrumented reviews of the 2019's running 4.0's and 3.9's 0-100km/h finally matching the original factory claim and says a lot for the updates
Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
I've never seen the OEM factory quoted time of 0-60mph or 0-100km/h time met by the pre face lift 63 in any of the instrumented tests I've seen or read, it's hovered around 4.2-4.7secs 0-100km/h I've since seen 2 mag/video instrumented reviews of the 2019's running 4.0's and 3.9's 0-100km/h finally matching the original factory claim and says a lot for the updates
One example, Car & Driver 2017 C63s Coupe Test results (3.8s 0-60). https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-test-review

I'm not arguing that the 2019 isn't a step foreward, but some of the claims on this thread are simply untrue.
The following users liked this post:
RDOCA (09-21-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by brevets
One example, Car & Driver 2017 C63s Coupe Test results (3.8s 0-60). https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-test-review

I'm not arguing that the 2019 isn't a step foreward, but some of the claims on this thread are simply untrue.
That may be the case, not disputing haven't seen that one from C&D, however I can say with certainty having tried to read and see most/all literature and vids on Countries using metric measurements have never seen the 0-100km/h time of 3.9sec met in any pre facelift 63S, however UK Carwow and one of the Aussie reviews has already put down a 4sec dead and 3.9 for the new post face lift car - that was the sedan, I'm hoping the coupe will maybe better that
Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 AM

W212E63s[rwd sold]W211E63[sold] 645ci [sold]2018 C63s Estate[sold], 2017 gla 45 [Sold] E46m3 [sold]
Originally Posted by AV1
That may be the case, not disputing haven't seen that one from C&D, however I can say with certainty having tried to read and see most/all literature and vids on Countries using metric measurements have never seen the 0-100km/h time of 3.9sec met in any pre facelift 63S, however UK Carwow and one of the Aussie reviews has already put down a 4sec dead and 3.9 for the new post face lift car - that was the sedan, I'm hoping the coupe will maybe better that
On your previous post rather than this one, the C63 pre-facelift had the original M4 beat in pretty much every regard other than weight and turn-in sharpness . The "competition pack" on the M3/M4 though pushed things back in favour of the M4 slightly certainly from a performance and true sports saloon perspective (but not necessarily from a daily driving perspective where subjectively the C63 is still slightly better IMO). The facelift c63 will have to be very sharp indeed if it is going to best the M4 competition pack from a performance perspective. As a daily there is not much the C63 needed to improve to be the better road car in my opinion but it has its work cut out as a strictly performance orientated machine even without thinking about the alfa QF.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:30 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by right_mr
On your previous post rather than this one, the C63 pre-facelift had the original M4 beat in pretty much every regard other than weight and turn-in sharpness . The "competition pack" on the M3/M4 though pushed things back in favour of the M4 slightly certainly from a performance and true sports saloon perspective (but not necessarily from a daily driving perspective where subjectively the C63 is still slightly better IMO). The facelift c63 will have to be very sharp indeed if it is going to best the M4 competition pack from a performance perspective. As a daily there is not much the C63 needed to improve to be the better road car in my opinion but it has its work cut out as a strictly performance orientated machine even without thinking about the alfa QF.
You are correct, hence in an "overall manner" I don't think the C63 even the new face lift will ever best the M's in the same class, they are too different fundamentally again a case of each to their own and their own reasons for opting for one or the other.

Speaking for myself all AMG's have always been the choice pick over the same class BMW M's, I like what MB/AMG bring to the table in terms of luxury blended with power over and above the M's (looks and design are always subjective) and as you state a much better vehicle to live with in normal everyday driving.
right_mr (09-05-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:54 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Eric, that is great news! I am so glad you were able to fix this yourself. Hopefully your case of "buyer's remorse" is now in remission!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Eric, that is great news! I am so glad you were able to fix this yourself. Hopefully your case of "buyer's remorse" is now in remission!
Looks like you have possibly posted in the wrong thread.

back to facelift vs pre-facelift
If the 9 speed shifts more smoothly between gears 1 and 3, that would be a welcomed improvement. The 7 speed once warm, shifts very quickly and downshifts perfectly on demand. i have no issues there.

My biggest bugbear though is that the c43 now has a pre-facelift c63 grille. That's really getting on my t!ts

Other than that, i dont really care much about the new traction control, or the track pace (though timing my 0-60 times would have been cool)

I very much like the suspension as it is even on crappy roads. If they can somehow improve it without compromising cornering performance (as is the case in an RS4 avant), then they deserve some applause.

If (for those that bother) the driver assistance distronic and steering assistance is far more advanced than the current system, then again that is a minor plus.

The biggest issue i have with the current C63s is the tyre compatibility restrictions due to the odd configuration of the rims etc and the facelift will be sure to have those issues.

For me, overall, i cant see how the facelift is anything other than minor improvements here and there. The pre-facelift was already excellent with a brilliant chassis and a joy to drive, so i am exremely satisfied (apart from the lack of tyre options, that is really annoying me)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Honda Civic Si
Originally Posted by Harold1898
It doesn't matter what year model car you buy there will always be a newer and better model following it. Enjoy what you have.
👍🏼 This is precisely what I was going to say. No matter what one is talking about, in my case watches, golf clubs and cars, there will always be changes from model year to model year, but not necessarily improvements. In order for the changes to be improvements, well, that really is up to personal preference. In other words, a change in the grill or even the transmission is only an improvement if one gets added satisfaction from the change.

I am stuck in this very position for a few reasons. Do I order a 2019 C63S Cabriolet the way I want it (i.e., exterior pant, interior color and trim) or do I buy an '18 with most of what I want (i.e., but not the paint or interior color/trim (carbon fibre)? In this case, the likelihood of buyer's remorse would most likely come with buying what the dealer has because I will always think, should I have waited for what I really want? But, if I were to order a C63S the way I want it I would probably have remorse thinking I could have gotten a better deal. For me, however, it would be easier to live with having paid a little more for exactly what I want than to just buy anything that is close to what I want just to have it.

As you can see, buyer's remorse can always be around. I think one just has to be confident in what they want and pull the trigger.

My biggest concern with the whole process is the dealer. I have not been in a car dealer to buy a new car in years and from what I experienced this past two weeks the two dealers I went to pull the same old tricks. That's where the buyer's remorse comes in for me. I hate, hate, hate the idea of going into a dealer and going through all of the psychological practices the dealers use, commonly referred to as sales tactics. I'll go into this in another thread, but suffice it to say that when I did exact same thing during negotiations the dealer literally freaked out and said he was rescinding the deal one of his managers approved. It's a great story and I will tell it soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by usernaim:
AV1 (09-22-2018), right_mr (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 AM

I've done a bit of pricing analysis primarily for anyone in the UK. I specced a C63s estate with premium pack, night pack, HUD, driver assistance and black ash wood. Price is £84k before registration and on road taxes. Best offer so far is £9.5k discount (merc cambridge) so that's around £75k for that spec including any OTR costs. Not bad, not bad at all. I didnt expect dealers to wipe off so much of their commission. i only managed to nab £15 or £16k off the pre-facelift so if you can get 2/3rds of the discount on the facelift, it seems very good value to me.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
That's about right. I got £10K off my fully loaded C63 S coupe order.
Way more than I got for my pre facelift which I sold in January.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
First off I want to say BOTH PRE and POST facelift are incredible cars...

Correct me if I am wrong:

New transmission,
Dynamic engine mounts
A new version of the AMG Ride Control system
AMG GTR's 9 stage traction control
Digital dash,
Exterior changes like new grill/ exhaust tips
New aero pack,
New AMG performance perf seats
New steering wheel with amg drive unit from the project1

I'd say those are some pretty big changes.

You read/watch any review of someone who has driven both cars and they all say how greatly improved the 2019 is over the pre facelift. maybe they are being paid to say it.. either way with all the changes I would expect a noticeable difference just with the new MCT trans let alone the other changes.

They made a lot of key improvements to the car and allow it to put more power down as a result of the suspension work and dynamic engine mounts and faster shifting.. It will be interesting to see how much better the time slips and track times are over the prefacelift.

Mr amg's review really speaks volumes about what everyone has said about the 2019 c63s coupe and how much improved it is both with it's looks and ability to put power down esp out of corners.
AV1 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE63S
2018 or 2019, here's my theory:

The 4.0 Bi-Turbo V8 will keep being built, no problem. It's the best engine AMG has ever built - and they know it.

However, you will have to pay a lot more for any V8 AMG in the near future. It will only appear in much higher priced AMG cars. Just look at the new S63 which now has this engine, replacing the much larger displacement predecessor.

I was looking forward to later selling my 2018 C63S and eventually buying an AMG E63S Coupe. Result - not happening and, instead enter the E53 Coupe. Really?
Sorry, there's no comparison, no matter how cool the new E53 Coupe looks inside and out, or how you slice it.

Beginning with the 2020 or 2021 model year, I predict that you will will no longer be able to get a C class AMG with a V8. That future AMG C Class going to be powerful no doubt, but some sort of chipped inline 6 with Hybrid, or something to that effect, will be in the car.

That means say good bye forever to an AMG V-8 under $90,000.00.

So..... All of you pondering 2018 or 2019, pause and think about it. Either year you choose, you may have the last C63 or C63S ever made.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by purplewidow

New transmission,
Dynamic engine mounts
Digital dash,
New aero pack,

You read/watch any review of someone who has driven both cars and they all say how greatly improved the 2019 is over the pre facelift. maybe they are being paid to say it.. either way with all the changes I would expect a noticeable difference just with the new MCT trans let alone the other changes.

They made a lot of key improvements to the car and allow it to put more power down as a result of the suspension work and dynamic engine mounts and faster shifting.. It will be interesting to see how much better the time slips and track times are over the prefacelift.

Mr amg's review really speaks volumes about what everyone has said about the 2019 c63s coupe and how much improved it is both with it's looks and ability to put power down esp out of corners.
Well said, totally agree especially with Raz's reviews love watching all RBR's vids extremely informative and objective reviewing.

I think once these new 19's start landing the updates are really going to speak for themselves, there's the added benefit that it'll also be the last ever (and the best ever) C Class V8 powered AMG, I'm looking forward to owning one
Old 09-25-2018, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by purplewidow

New transmission,
Dynamic engine mounts
Digital dash,
New aero pack,

Dynamic Engine mounts were always on the S cars.