Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C43 AMG, C63 AMG, C63S AMG (W205) > C63/C63S AMG
C43 vs C63. Running costs + expenditure. Help please >

C43 vs C63. Running costs + expenditure. Help please

Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 vs C63. Running costs + expenditure. Help please

 
Old 07-08-2018, 03:46 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335d
C43 vs C63. Running costs + expenditure. Help please

Hey Everybody,

I have been on this forum for a while and made a few other posts but I am looking to buy either the coupe C63 or C43. I'm currently driving a 15' plate 335d saloon which I love. Originally, I was dead set on the C63 but I saw a C43 drive past me yesterday and was shocked at how nice that V6 sounded. Sounded just like an M4! (Dare I say it sounded better ).
I would really like some C43 and C63 owners to chime in their opinions and rationale as to why they made the choice they did. I am looking to buy used (no finance), 2016 and up. Looking at what's on offer, I can get an almost new C43 with a huge spec for the same price as a second hand C63 with lower spec.
This car will be my daily driver and I love the growl of the V8, however I am being swayed by the decent sound of the V6 and the AWD. I really wanted to test drive both cars but my local MB dealer doesn't have any available at the mo.

Heres some info I wanted some owners to help with:

- Comfort wise, is there much difference between ride quality of C43 or C63. Even if you have driven only one, do you find it comfortable? My commute is around 30-40 miles per day and mostly it's traffic, starting and stopping. I'm from UK and commute into London.

- Now a question of economy. I completely understand you don't drive a C63 for economy, however I don't want to be filling up the car everyday. I have been looking at the tech specs and I know from experience, listed MPGs vary significantly from manufacturer's listing. How is the economy on the C43 and C63. I have seen plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere who use C63s as daily drivers. Is the MPG liveable? Is 30-40 miles per day going to require petrol station visits 2-3 times a week? Lol.

- Servicing and wear & tear. Tried contacting MB about this but haven't heard anything back yet. If I buy a C63, the warranty will more than likely have expired as opposed to the C43 which will be much newer. How much does servicing cost for these cars. In your experience, what items require replacing the most and how much are we talking. I don't want to buy a car that's constantly requiring work carried out on it, regardless of how amazing it is. I am happy to maintain my cars and pay for replacement parts, but within reason.

- Finally, and this is my biggest concern. I have read so many horror reviews from C63 owners regarding problems with their C63s. This is due to either rattling, faults etc. How likely are these/how often do current C63 owners experience issues? Same question goes to the C43 owners. The reason I ask is because my 335d when I bought it was not only under warranty, but also has a service pack (which is still active). Most of my expenses were covered and, for the most part, I have enjoyed driving my 335d and it has been reliable with no problems. I don't want to step into a used C63 and find it conking out because the previous owner has already put 40k on the clock.

As a note, I have read a lot of C43 owners saying they love it and it's great to drive because of the AWD. They prefer it to the C63 because they experience better economy and they don't really need the extra bhp. Any thoughts on this statement ? My honest opinion is I want the best for my money, but is faster necessarily better? I suppose the only way I'll know is once I manage to book a test drive but again, opinions are appreciated.

If you read this all the way through, thank you. Being such a big purchase, I want to get as much research done as possible before I commit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Mdotlife is offline  
Old 07-08-2018, 04:33 PM
  #2  
Member
 
black63s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 s63 Coupe, 2016 Cadillac Escalade Platinum, 2016 C63s, 2015 CLA250 ED. 1
So i put 40k miles on my 205 63 sedan and i just replaced it with a 63 very. The car was bullet proof for me all 40k there were no expenses other than tires brakes and maintenance. The 63 will go through tires and brakes very fast especially in the rear. You also need to be prepared for the occasional routine maintenance to be over $1000 if you are going the dealer route which is what i do due to the lack of shops in az i trust with those services on a new car. The 43 will definitely have a less sporty and stuff ride to it and may be more useable in terms of power around town in the city. I personally do a lot of highway driving so i love having 500+hp to step on and would never be able to justify the 43. I would say to go drive both and see what one you really feel fits your needs the most. You're going to get a lot of people saying 63 in this forum and a lot saying 43 if posted in there forum fwiw.
black63s is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (07-11-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 61
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S Sedan
I have a 2016 C450 which is essentially the C43. Here are some things that you should know...

- WEAR & TEAR... my front brakes needed to be replaced @ 6k miles. Now my rears need to be replaced @ 17k miles. I do not track the car, nor do I brake heavily. I've been complaining about brakes since I bought the car. I believe there is a factory defect somewhere in there. Read a good amount of posts regarding folks complaining about needing to change brakes so early with both the C450 and C43; I have not found anyone experiencing this with a C63. Doesn't seem like it is everyone, but it is a good amount of people that you should be aware and pay attention to them closely and pay attention to those squeaks!

- COMFORT... every single passenger in the rear has said the car is not comfortable to be driven in. It is very "jolty." I didn't buy it with their comfort in mind, so there ya go. ;-)

- ECONOMY... I average 12.9 MPG combined in the last 12k miles (my last reset). I live in NYC so I drive here and am also on Long Island on occasional weekends. I average about 4-7 MPG city, and about 13-14 MPG in the suburbs of Long Island, and usually around 22-23 MPG on the highway. I am in S+ mode almost all of the time. I have no clue how much I spend on gas, but those are the numbers.
Also, I was curious about my MPG in Comfort mode on the highway, and it came out to about 27/28 MPG on a 90 mile trip back to the city. So that means it wasn't much different than S+ honestly.

The Comfort mode is very laid back and calm, and the S+ mode is very aggressive. It is a very well rounded car. I imagine it would be a lot more fun had I waited for a C43 for its exhaust, but I have had NO regrets. The car serves it's purpose and I would recommend it.

If money is no object and you don't mind a RWD car, I would go with the C63S.

NYC365 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (07-11-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
NYCSoiL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 734
Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by NYC365 View Post
I have a 2016 C450 which is essentially the C43. Here are some things that you should know...

- WEAR & TEAR... my front brakes needed to be replaced @ 6k miles. Now my rears need to be replaced @ 17k miles. I do not track the car, nor do I brake heavily. I've been complaining about brakes since I bought the car. I believe there is a factory defect somewhere in there. Read a good amount of posts regarding folks complaining about needing to change brakes so early with both the C450 and C43; I have not found anyone experiencing this with a C63. Doesn't seem like it is everyone, but it is a good amount of people that you should be aware and pay attention to them closely and pay attention to those squeaks!

- COMFORT... every single passenger in the rear has said the car is not comfortable to be driven in. It is very "jolty." I didn't buy it with their comfort in mind, so there ya go. ;-)

- ECONOMY... I average 12.9 MPG combined in the last 12k miles (my last reset). I live in NYC so I drive here and am also on Long Island on occasional weekends. I average about 4-7 MPG city, and about 13-14 MPG in the suburbs of Long Island, and usually around 22-23 MPG on the highway. I am in S+ mode almost all of the time. I have no clue how much I spend on gas, but those are the numbers.
Also, I was curious about my MPG in Comfort mode on the highway, and it came out to about 27/28 MPG on a 90 mile trip back to the city. So that means it wasn't much different than S+ honestly.

The Comfort mode is very laid back and calm, and the S+ mode is very aggressive. It is a very well rounded car. I imagine it would be a lot more fun had I waited for a C43 for its exhaust, but I have had NO regrets. The car serves it's purpose and I would recommend it.

If money is no object and you don't mind a RWD car, I would go with the C63S.
Wooow… 4-7 MPG city?! Damn, that's crazy! I'm getting 16-18 MPG combined, 10-13 city (NYC) and ~24 MPG highway.

OP, C43 is a very nice car, does a lot of things that C63 can except for being and RWD and V8. Either one will be a great choice.
NYCSoiL is offline  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:52 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
raudiace4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 710
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
2017 C63S coupe
LOL 4-7 MPG city...

I drive my car in a good mix of city and highway and average about 18MPGs and i'm always driving in S+. City unless you're going WOT all the time you can easily do 14mpg in S+ in stop and go conditions, in comfort mode I've seen 18-19 MPG city and 24-26MPG on highway.
raudiace4 is offline  
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM
  #6  
Member
 
black63s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 s63 Coupe, 2016 Cadillac Escalade Platinum, 2016 C63s, 2015 CLA250 ED. 1
Lol i strictly drive my car like an a** and i can tell you there's no way driving a 450 you are getting 4 miles per gallon I'd love to see a picture of that on your commute
black63s is offline  
The following users liked this post:
munis (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,135
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by black63s View Post
Lol i strictly drive my car like an a** and i can tell you there's no way driving a 450 you are getting 4 miles per gallon I'd love to see a picture of that on your commute
I agree. I literally jamped on the throttle of my C43 in sports+ for 60km and averaged 25L/100km. Thats like 9mpg. No way you did 4mpg. You probably left the car running for a few hours and forgot.
munis is offline  
Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 61
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S Sedan
Originally Posted by black63s View Post
Lol i strictly drive my car like an a** and i can tell you there's no way driving a 450 you are getting 4 miles per gallon I'd love to see a picture of that on your commute
Varies with traffic. I've not had higher than like 8-9(?) in the city. Strictly Manhattan driving, 5 days per week. That does include idling time as I am regularly running in for meetings while someone idles, but those are my numbers. Yours will obviously vary. I am typically in Midtown so the traffic is not so great...
NYC365 is offline  
Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335d
So, if 8-9 mpg is what you can expect from a C43 in these conditions, what should I expect from a C63 ???
Mdotlife is offline  
Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
8-9 mpg is not what you can expect all the time in a c43. thats absolutely ridiculous.

i have a stock c43 unlike a lot of people commenting who are tuned etc. i daily drive it, i track it you name it i have driven in all conditions. keep in mind the c43 has a 9 speed gearbox and c450 does not so highway fuel economy is a little better.

track i was seeing 7-9 mpg, so if everyone drives daily like they do on a track which i find hard to believe, sure youll get 7-9 mpg but if you are a normal person that isnt drag racing every stop light you can see the following. city driving hard in s+ i see 12-16 mpg, city driving eco i see 17-22 mpg, highway driving sport + with pulls 18-22, and highway driving eco i see 26-32 mpg depending on speed (65mph-90 mph) and conditions.


comparing to the c63 i have test drove one before and as far as suspension comfort i find them oddly similar with possibly the c63 being slightly less jarring, i think due to the run flats on c43 vs performance tires on c63 stock. ( i have since changed to perofmance non run flat tires on c43 and the ride is much better). they share suspension components so they should feel similar.

as far as the engine goes, in most daily situations under 80 mph the c43 is every bit as fast as the c63. if you are on freeway/track, the c63 def shows what it can do above the c43 with 2 more cylinders. but rainy/bad weather snow etc, or un even pavement, the c43 will hold its own and potentially be faster with the AWD.

I can say i am at 12k on my c43 and no maintence other than oil changes and software updates have been done. brake pad wear seems to be very sporadic as some users claim very quick pad changes while others like me still have more than half the pad 12k miles in. Id take the very few with issues as odd man out. front inner tire wear on both cars seems to be an first expense given the negative camber we run. this has been an expense for the c class for the last 10 years or so on performance models.

i think you need to ask yourself where youll be driving most (ie. city/highway,) conditions you plan to drive in (ie dry or snow), and based on that decide from there.

i live in michigan so snow is a concern so I went with AWD as this is my daily.

if it was my third car, the c63 would have been a contender with a few other RWD machines
Star4life is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Star4life:
Mdotlife (07-11-2018), munis (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,135
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
So, if 8-9 mpg is what you can expect from a C43 in these conditions, what should I expect from a C63 ???
No absolutely not. I got 9mpg after being as obtuse as it is possible to be with a car. I was continuously hammering it from 100-200kmph repeatedly for 60kms straight. That is way beyond the normal driving you are going to do. Occasional bursts of S+, some mild hooning in the city, lots of traffic jam and high way combined gives me around 12L-13L/100km.

If I put it in ECO mode, using the sailing feature, I have time to time averaged 36mpg over 200km with this car before.
munis is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Star4life (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 61
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
So, if 8-9 mpg is what you can expect from a C43 in these conditions, what should I expect from a C63 ???
I'll be able to tell you in early 2019 ;-) ...hint hint hint...

But if you are concerned about fuel economy or finances for reasons other than being frugal, it is best to go with the C43 instead of the C63S. It is a great car and you get a lot of car for the money. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

EDIT - I know that 8-9 MPG city number is scaring everybody. To clarify, I am in Manhattan and even after a full day, I may not necessarily travel a full 9 miles. So even at those numbers, it wouldn't even cost me $4 (roughly the cost of gas per gallon here) for the day. Still cheaper than taking public transport, LOL (assuming no additional car expenses). Poor MPG but low distance is the situation I am in when it comes to Manhattan driving for me.

Last edited by NYC365; 07-09-2018 at 07:30 PM.
NYC365 is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,135
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by NYC365 View Post
I'll be able to tell you in early 2019 ;-) ...hint hint hint...

But if you are concerned about fuel economy or finances for reasons other than being frugal, it is best to go with the C43 instead of the C63S. It is a great car and you get a lot of car for the money. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

EDIT - I know that 8-9 MPG city number is scaring everybody. To clarify, I am in Manhattan and even after a full day, I may not necessarily travel a full 9 miles. So even at those numbers, it wouldn't even cost me $4 (roughly the cost of gas per gallon here) for the day. Still cheaper than taking public transport, LOL (assuming no additional car expenses). Poor MPG but low distance is the situation I am in when it comes to Manhattan driving for me.
I feel sorry for you man. I visited Manhattan for a week with my daily beater (civic), and I couldn't imagine my amg suspension could have survived those absolutely horrid roads in NY. I have no idea how anyone drives a performance car there without some severe consequences.
munis is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM
  #14  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 640
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
'15 C63S
~18mpg combined city/highway commute. Nowhere near bridge/tunnel traffic of NYC, but traffic still sucks here in Silly Valley.

Stiff suspension, my Individual setting is Sport+ everything, except Comfort suspension; that's still harsh on pock-marked roads. I'm waiting for Dinan to start working on suspension mods.

Running costs? It used to be my daily driver and I filled up maybe twice a week. Had the rear brake pads replaced at around 20k miles. My fronts are CCB so prob won't ever replace them hah (j/k)
vaelin is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 PM
  #15  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 479
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
So, if 8-9 mpg is what you can expect from a C43 in these conditions, what should I expect from a C63 ???
I get 14 MPG and I drive very hard, I think 14-15 MPG is realistic.
KJ is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 AM
  #16  
Member
 
right_mr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SURREY, UK
Posts: 191
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
personally I would say the c63 is a step up in terms of engine , brakes and sound. It has the proper AMG character in muscle car style . it is beastly. The C43 , though a great car doesn't have it. it's still a fun car with character but doesn't have the torque or silliness that the 63 has

For me, there was only one choice but I can see why many would go with a 43. Some say it is the better daily driver. In terms of depreciation, I assume the 63 you're looking at has taken a bigger hit already than the 43 . it is worth looking at estimated residuals and factor that in.

maintenance wise I think my service will cost around GBP 500 per year based on service care plan I've taken out for 4 years. also worth seeing whether the car was registered before April 17 as if it was you won't have to pay additional gbp 300 over the first 5 years of road tax on cars over 40k list price.

in terms of options , I would say this can be quite important to some people , not sure whether the used 63 has all the key ones you're after ? Personally I can say if you get a 63..don't worry if it doesn't have a burmeister sound system. But always worth having the performance exhaust

in terms of fuel economy in stop start traffic I would expect you would get anything from say 12 to 18 mpg, also depends just how long you're stuck in traffic each day. my 3 mile journey each morning gets me 13ish mpg with a lot of stopping and going at a v low average speed of 13mph . my overall average over 3.5k miles is 20.5mpg which includes flooring it a lot and plenty of high speed driving.

let us know which direction you go in
right_mr is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
Hey Everybody,

I have been on this forum for a while and made a few other posts but I am looking to buy either the coupe C63 or C43. I'm currently driving a 15' plate 335d saloon which I love. Originally, I was dead set on the C63 but I saw a C43 drive past me yesterday and was shocked at how nice that V6 sounded. Sounded just like an M4! (Dare I say it sounded better ).
I would really like some C43 and C63 owners to chime in their opinions and rationale as to why they made the choice they did. I am looking to buy used (no finance), 2016 and up. Looking at what's on offer, I can get an almost new C43 with a huge spec for the same price as a second hand C63 with lower spec.
This car will be my daily driver and I love the growl of the V8, however I am being swayed by the decent sound of the V6 and the AWD. I really wanted to test drive both cars but my local MB dealer doesn't have any available at the mo.

Heres some info I wanted some owners to help with:

- Comfort wise, is there much difference between ride quality of C43 or C63. Even if you have driven only one, do you find it comfortable? My commute is around 30-40 miles per day and mostly it's traffic, starting and stopping. I'm from UK and commute into London.

- Now a question of economy. I completely understand you don't drive a C63 for economy, however I don't want to be filling up the car everyday. I have been looking at the tech specs and I know from experience, listed MPGs vary significantly from manufacturer's listing. How is the economy on the C43 and C63. I have seen plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere who use C63s as daily drivers. Is the MPG liveable? Is 30-40 miles per day going to require petrol station visits 2-3 times a week? Lol.

- Servicing and wear & tear. Tried contacting MB about this but haven't heard anything back yet. If I buy a C63, the warranty will more than likely have expired as opposed to the C43 which will be much newer. How much does servicing cost for these cars. In your experience, what items require replacing the most and how much are we talking. I don't want to buy a car that's constantly requiring work carried out on it, regardless of how amazing it is. I am happy to maintain my cars and pay for replacement parts, but within reason.

- Finally, and this is my biggest concern. I have read so many horror reviews from C63 owners regarding problems with their C63s. This is due to either rattling, faults etc. How likely are these/how often do current C63 owners experience issues? Same question goes to the C43 owners. The reason I ask is because my 335d when I bought it was not only under warranty, but also has a service pack (which is still active). Most of my expenses were covered and, for the most part, I have enjoyed driving my 335d and it has been reliable with no problems. I don't want to step into a used C63 and find it conking out because the previous owner has already put 40k on the clock.

As a note, I have read a lot of C43 owners saying they love it and it's great to drive because of the AWD. They prefer it to the C63 because they experience better economy and they don't really need the extra bhp. Any thoughts on this statement ? My honest opinion is I want the best for my money, but is faster necessarily better? I suppose the only way I'll know is once I manage to book a test drive but again, opinions are appreciated.

If you read this all the way through, thank you. Being such a big purchase, I want to get as much research done as possible before I commit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Personally I'd go C63 no questions asked. I've been dailying my C63s coupe since I got it back in August 2016. 16k miles on the clock and I've loved every single minute of it. Apart from a few issues (which were all fixed under warranty) haven't had much trouble with the car at all. The C43 is indeed a good car but the C63 just has that extra fun factor that a C43 will never have, not to mention it looks much more aggressive with the front a-wing, wider fenders, quad exhaust and twin-blade grille.

Comfort - Fit a set of Michelin Ps4s tyres with a decent pressure and the ride comfort is more than acceptable. For reference I've driven it around London, Wales, country b-roads etc. It's no S Class but the ride is surpringly supple for the type of car it is (be aware it can get a bit jumpy and jarring on poorer road surfaces and it vibrates quite a bit on cobbled roads). I've done several, long motorway journeys and it's been great for those too.

Economy - I've currently got 18mpg (combined) with a mix of normal and 'spirited' driving. I usually keep the car in Sport+ mode (but with Comfort or Sport suspension) but sometimes in Comfort. If you'll be using it regularly then you'll definitely have to refuel at least once a week. Range is decent though (you can get 320 miles out of a full tank but of course it depends on how you drive it)

Servicing - My dealership charged me about £200 for my first service, but any major issues were fixed under warranty (I had to have my exhaust replaced as the flaps were damaged). That being said parts and repairs can be expensive. My radiator was damaged by road debris recently and they were going to charge £1300 for part and repairs. Luckily the goodwill team was able to bring it down to £400 but still, be careful on that front.

​Hope this helped buddy.
Trim105 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:26 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335d
Originally Posted by right_mr View Post
personally I would say the c63 is a step up in terms of engine , brakes and sound. It has the proper AMG character in muscle car style . it is beastly. The C43 , though a great car doesn't have it. it's still a fun car with character but doesn't have the torque or silliness that the 63 has

For me, there was only one choice but I can see why many would go with a 43. Some say it is the better daily driver. In terms of depreciation, I assume the 63 you're looking at has taken a bigger hit already than the 43 . it is worth looking at estimated residuals and factor that in.

maintenance wise I think my service will cost around GBP 500 per year based on service care plan I've taken out for 4 years. also worth seeing whether the car was registered before April 17 as if it was you won't have to pay additional gbp 300 over the first 5 years of road tax on cars over 40k list price.

in terms of options , I would say this can be quite important to some people , not sure whether the used 63 has all the key ones you're after ? Personally I can say if you get a 63..don't worry if it doesn't have a burmeister sound system. But always worth having the performance exhaust

in terms of fuel economy in stop start traffic I would expect you would get anything from say 12 to 18 mpg, also depends just how long you're stuck in traffic each day. my 3 mile journey each morning gets me 13ish mpg with a lot of stopping and going at a v low average speed of 13mph . my overall average over 3.5k miles is 20.5mpg which includes flooring it a lot and plenty of high speed driving.

let us know which direction you go in
Thanks. Can you explain the road tax part please? I must have missed that in the recent news (never applied to me before )

Also, the other car I am contemplating is an M4. Only reason being is that price wise, it has reached a lower end in terms of depreciation. The only thing stopping me is the boring BMW interior and inferior exhaust note to the v8. Also, I have an awful feeling a new shape M4 is on the cards soon, seeing as a new M3 is coming out end of 2019/early 2020 alongside the new shape 3 series.
Mdotlife is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:31 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335d
Originally Posted by Trim105 View Post
Personally I'd go C63 no questions asked. I've been dailying my C63s coupe since I got it back in August 2016. 16k miles on the clock and I've loved every single minute of it. Apart from a few issues (which were all fixed under warranty) haven't had much trouble with the car at all. The C43 is indeed a good car but the C63 just has that extra fun factor that a C43 will never have, not to mention it looks much more aggressive with the front a-wing, wider fenders, quad exhaust and twin-blade grille.

Comfort - Fit a set of Michelin Ps4s tyres with a decent pressure and the ride comfort is more than acceptable. For reference I've driven it around London, Wales, country b-roads etc. It's no S Class but the ride is surpringly supple for the type of car it is (be aware it can get a bit jumpy and jarring on poorer road surfaces and it vibrates quite a bit on cobbled roads). I've done several, long motorway journeys and it's been great for those too.

Economy - I've currently got 18mpg (combined) with a mix of normal and 'spirited' driving. I usually keep the car in Sport+ mode (but with Comfort or Sport suspension) but sometimes in Comfort. If you'll be using it regularly then you'll definitely have to refuel at least once a week. Range is decent though (you can get 320 miles out of a full tank but of course it depends on how you drive it)

Servicing - My dealership charged me about £200 for my first service, but any major issues were fixed under warranty (I had to have my exhaust replaced as the flaps were damaged). That being said parts and repairs can be expensive. My radiator was damaged by road debris recently and they were going to charge £1300 for part and repairs. Luckily the goodwill team was able to bring it down to £400 but still, be careful on that front.

​Hope this helped buddy.
Thanks for the reply mate. One thing I've wanted to ask. What options are worth/worth not having? The must have options for me are performance exhaust, panoramic sun roof and heads up display. HUD seems to be really hard to find on used C63s. Is it an expensive optional extra? I have HUD on my BMW and find it so useful I'm not sure I could live without it....

that at being said, I'm not sure on the full spec list for Mercedes so I'm not sure what is worth having and worth not having (This will be my first MB ever!)

Given the huge specs you tend to get on M4s, I am also considering a used M4 as well...

Also, as delicious as the V8 exhaust note is, is it obnoxiously loud? I don't want to annoy the neighbours in the morning or turn too many heads when I'm starting the car in the car park late night after work
Mdotlife is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM
  #20  
Member
 
right_mr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SURREY, UK
Posts: 191
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post


Thanks. Can you explain the road tax part please? I must have missed that in the recent news (never applied to me before )

Also, the other car I am contemplating is an M4. Only reason being is that price wise, it has reached a lower end in terms of depreciation. The only thing stopping me is the boring BMW interior and inferior exhaust note to the v8. Also, I have an awful feeling a new shape M4 is on the cards soon, seeing as a new M3 is coming out end of 2019/early 2020 alongside the new shape 3 series.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables no worries, check the heading for vehicles over 40k. basically more tax of gbp310 over 5 years if registered in April 17 onwards

m4 is a lovely car though, I would only recommend one with the competition pack included. trouble is ,.they are only recent models and will be likely quite pricey. I'm sure a facelift of sorts is due in the not too distant future.
right_mr is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post


Thanks for the reply mate. One thing I've wanted to ask. What options are worth/worth not having? The must have options for me are performance exhaust, panoramic sun roof and heads up display. HUD seems to be really hard to find on used C63s. Is it an expensive optional extra? I have HUD on my BMW and find it so useful I'm not sure I could live without it....

that at being said, I'm not sure on the full spec list for Mercedes so I'm not sure what is worth having and worth not having (This will be my first MB ever!)

Given the huge specs you tend to get on M4s, I am also considering a used M4 as well...

Also, as delicious as the V8 exhaust note is, is it obnoxiously loud? I don't want to annoy the neighbours in the morning or turn too many heads when I'm starting the car in the car park late night after work
Ah to be honest it's hard to say mate. Mine's pretty much fully specced (apart from CCB's) and now I feel like I couldn't do without the options if I had got the car without them

Performance exhaust is a MUST. It's standard on coupes but I'm sure most used saloons/estates would have it optioned in. Pano Roof is also a great option. Look for C63s that have the 'premium package' you'll get pano roof, burmester sound system, keyless entry/start and the intelligent led light system.

Yeah the HUD isn't the easiest to find, I wouldn't say its a must-have but it's an awesome option (you get 2 modes. 1. A normal mode with speed, speed limit, cruise control, navi instructions and 2. An AMG mode with speed, rev counter, current gear and shift indicator) and if you're so used to it on your BM then definitely try find one with it. it's about £850 as an option currently (although I swear it was cheaper when I specced my C63).

The 360 degree surround camera is also a really useful option (especially in the coupe where there are quite a few blind spots)

Driving Assistance package isn't a must have but it's also very useful (especially if you do long motorway trips). It's got Adaptive Cruise control with steering assist, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot assist and collision prevention brake assist.

Yeah I agree, used M4's tend to have good prices and specs. But I'd still take the C63 anytime! In regards to the sound it's definitely loud but not overly obnoxious and with the performance exhaust you can open and close the flaps to make it loud/quiet at the touch of a button.
Trim105 is offline  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 255
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
W205 c63s AMG
So I tl;dr most of this thread but I wanted to chime in on MPG..... I have a c63s, downpipes, filters, and tune, I don't know of any TT V8 that is this economic on fuel... This was after a 14 hour drive in S+ (I can't stand how the throttle feels in comfort) mostly using distronic
Mr. Pink is offline  
Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 AM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Don't get the C63 if you are worried about MPG. The C63 is all about sMiles Per Gallon - It's hands down the most economical car I have ever driven. I consistently get 100 SPG round town and even more on a good expansive highway 😜
AMGWagon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
KJ (07-13-2018)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 vs C63. Running costs + expenditure. Help please


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: