C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light after exhaust upgrades???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018 | 11:00 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Check Engine light after exhaust upgrades???

Hello everyone! I looked and couldn’t find any threads on this issue so I hope I’m not duplicating. I have a 2015 c63s Amg edition 1. I recently had IPE’s full titanium vacuum actuated valvetronic exhaust system and cat-less down pipes installed as well as Weistec’s VTA adapters, air box upgrade, and ECU tune. Currently I have a check engine light and no one seems to know what’s causing it or how to fix it. My shop was certain it had to be the tune. I had the ECU sent back to weistec and they were kind enough to go over it again and they said it was solid. My shop says that everything has been installed correctly and all o2 sensors are working. An IPE tech says that I can purchase there OBDII which may remove the CEL causing the check engine light, but also stayed that the tune should do that as well. At this point I do not know what to do or how to have the issue resolved so that one my car is performing at its best and so that I can pass inspections. If anyone has experienced this problem after installing these upgrades I would truly appreciate any info. Thank you guys!!
Old 07-25-2018 | 12:07 AM
SPONSOR

G55
Could be your spark plugs. Where are you located?
Old 07-25-2018 | 12:09 AM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by AutoTalent
Could be your spark plugs. Where are you located?
upstate New York. I can advise my shop to check them. Would this soft ware update for the engine/exhaust help at all?
Old 07-25-2018 | 12:34 AM

2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
Sounds like you need to pull the codes and see which ones it's throwing . Maybe a trip to a dealer to use their Star to see what it comes up with
Old 07-25-2018 | 07:43 AM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by C3504matic
Sounds like you need to pull the codes and see which ones it's throwing . Maybe a trip to a dealer to use their Star to see what it comes up with
after the upgrades I did have a service due and asked the dealership to look into the check engine light. But they wouldn’t do much because they didn’t want anything to de with the upgrades. Mostly because down pipes are cat-less. They didn’t wanna violate or do anything that could get them in trouble. So they really didn’t investigate besides giving me some codes that it was throwing. I took them to the shop I did have the installation done with and they tried communicating with weistec about the codes to see if the tune was done properly. The shop thinks an oxygen sensor isn’t being tuned out from the cat-less pipes. Weistec tell my shop itns not that 🙄. So it’s just everyone pointing the finger and no resolution.
Old 07-25-2018 | 07:48 AM

2015 C63s Sedan
What were the codes causing check engine light? This will give you a good point to start from.
Old 07-25-2018 | 08:47 AM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by Schulminator
What were the codes causing check engine light? This will give you a good point to start from.
These are the codes my shop sent over to weistec that the car is showing.
(Full code list: P209700, P013E00, P013B00, P227000, P014B00, P013D00, P227200)
Old 07-25-2018 | 10:51 AM

E55, GMC Suburban, F430 matchbox, Caddooo DTS
Originally Posted by Butterzc63s

These are the codes my shop sent over to weistec that the car is showing.
(Full code list: P209700, P013E00, P013B00, P227000, P014B00, P013D00, P227200)
Those codes are all related to the o2 sensor, at least the ones that I recognize. Those codes SHOULD be coming on without cats but they SHOULD NOT be turning the check engine light on with a proper tune.
Old 07-25-2018 | 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Sounds like Weistec didn't sent you the proper tune, a catless downpipe tune deactivates the O2 sensor so that it doesn't throw a CEL on your dash. Your O2 sensors should be turned off with a typical catless downpipe tune or "stage 2" tune as some tuners call it.
Old 07-25-2018 | 12:03 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by cpais
Those codes are all related to the o2 sensor, at least the ones that I recognize. Those codes SHOULD be coming on without cats but they SHOULD NOT be turning the check engine light on with a proper tune.
that’s what my shop thought. But weistec says no. Some of the other codes I believe are for the exhaust flaps that are no longer being utilized. But are still connected and secured to the car via IPE installation instructions. These are additional notes I found from my dealership when they inspected the codes.

Diagnostic: TECHNICIAN NOTEPERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND CODES CURRENT FOR LEFT,RIGHT AND CENTER EXHAUST FLAPS, FOUND MANY STORED CODES THAT DID SET THE LIGHT ON AT ONE POINT FOR O2 SENSORS ISSUES, PERFORMED GUIDED TEST FOR CURRENT CODES OF EXHAUST FLAPS, FOUND NO ACTIVATIONS OF FLAPS WHEN SDS OPERATES THEM, ADVISE FURTHER TESTING AND DIAGNOSTICS NEEDED, ALSO FOUND EXHAUST FLAPS NOT INSTALLED IN PIPING OF NEW AFTERMARKET EXHAUST AND THEY ARE ALL ZIP TIED TO COMPONENTS OF THE VEHICLE UNDER CARRIAGE, NEED FURTHER DIAGNOSTIC TIME TO CHECK POWER SUPPLY, GROUNDS, AND COMAND WIRING FOR EXHAUST FLAPS, AS FAR AS O2 SENSORS, NOT SURE WHERE TO GO WITH THEM DUE TO AFTERMARKET EXHAUST BEING INSTALLED, RECOMMENDING TO INSTALL FACTORY PARTS BACK INTO THE VEHICLE AND RECHECK ALL OPERATIONS OF O2 SENSORS AND EXHAUST FLAP OPERATION. PURSUE FURTHER DIAGNOSIS - NOT WARRANTY -
Old 07-25-2018 | 12:08 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by raudiace4
Sounds like Weistec didn't sent you the proper tune, a catless downpipe tune deactivates the O2 sensor so that it doesn't throw a CEL on your dash. Your O2 sensors should be turned off with a typical catless downpipe tune or "stage 2" tune as some tuners call it.
according to weistec. They reviewed my tune and even plugged it into another car and said it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do? So how do I argue that it’s still not right! If they did install my Ecu into another vehicle and it ran perfectly. Would that mean that maybe I have a bad o2 sensor? Or like an earlier comment- bad spark plugs?
Old 07-25-2018 | 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5

according to weistec. They reviewed my tune and even plugged it into another car and said it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do? So how do I argue that it’s still not right! If they did install my Ecu into another vehicle and it ran perfectly. Would that mean that maybe I have a bad o2 sensor? Or like an earlier comment- bad spark plugs?
That's weird. But usually if it was the proper tune, It wouldn't throw the code at all, you might want to try O2 spacers, I doubt its your spark plugs. Are you having a rough idle or hesitation at WOT? I would take it back to the place that did your downpipes and make them figure it out.
Old 07-25-2018 | 05:14 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by raudiace4
That's weird. But usually if it was the proper tune, It wouldn't throw the code at all, you might want to try O2 spacers, I doubt its your spark plugs. Are you having a rough idle or hesitation at WOT? I would take it back to the place that did your downpipes and make them figure it out.
unfortunately they have had it and I am trying to get them to fix the issue. They don’t seem to know. So that’s why I’ve been going at weistec and IPE technicians to figure it out only to have everyone pointing the finger at someone else. But I will pass along the idea about the o2 spacers.l and have them check to make sure they are all functioning properly.
Old 07-25-2018 | 07:14 PM

2015 C63s Sedan
It does sound like the tune is causing your o2 codes.... my EC tune with catless DP's is rock solid.
For the exhaust, how does the ipe work on vacuum? If it doesn't have valve actuators, you might want to use the AWE simulators for the factory valve actuator connectors to eliminate the exhaust codes.
Old 07-25-2018 | 07:29 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
It does sound like the tune is causing your o2 codes.... my EC tune with catless DP's is rock solid.
For the exhaust, how does the ipe work on vacuum? If it doesn't have valve actuators, you might want to use the AWE simulators for the factory valve actuator connectors to eliminate the exhaust codes.
the actuator valves on this system are vacuum and I just use a remote to open them. Works fine so far as exhaust is much more aggressive probably thanks to the DP’s. I’m curious if this software update I came across in another thread will make the exhaust a lil louder and have more pops. I’ve been back and forth with weistec and they are 100% that the tune has removed all catalyst efficiency codes. So the o2 senora must be coming from somewhere else or it is the stock flaps throwing a CEL and weistec says they won’t just and delete random codes that they don’t typically do with the tune because of what repercussions may result from that and would void any warranty with them yada, yada, yada. So if it is the valves idk. Switch out the IPE mufflers for the stock mufflers with the stock valves. Which makes this exhaust purchase pointless and non refundable.
Old 07-25-2018 | 07:32 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
what would the AWE value simulator do? I’m sure like it sounds but are they actually valves or something that replaces the stock valves and relays to the Ecu that everything is all good.
Old 07-25-2018 | 09:19 PM

2015 C63s Sedan
They are resistors that plug into the factory harness and fool the ECU into thinking it's plugged into the OEM motors.... so it doesn't throw a code
Old 07-25-2018 | 10:01 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
They are resistors that plug into the factory harness and fool the ECU into thinking it's plugged into the OEM motors.... so it doesn't throw a code
would you happen to have a link. I went through their site and couldn’t find it
Old 07-26-2018 | 06:50 AM

2015 C63s Sedan
Google : "awe exhaust simulators"
Same units across the MB and Audi lines. You will need (3) of them if you replaced the entire PE exhaust, as (1) on h-pipe and (1) per muffler.
Old 07-26-2018 | 09:50 AM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Google : "awe exhaust simulators"
Same units across the MB and Audi lines. You will need (3) of them if you replaced the entire PE exhaust, as (1) on h-pipe and (1) per muffler.

Pretty sure these are it, but just confirm that they are. It would be awesome if these are my solution. Thank you for the info.
Old 07-26-2018 | 10:38 AM

2015 C63s Sedan
Yep, you will need (3) simulators as there is (1) in the h-pipe. Believe they are only sold in pairs.
Old 07-26-2018 | 10:50 AM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Yep, you will need (3) simulators as there is (1) in the h-pipe. Believe they are only sold in pairs.
sweet! I did email the company uspmotorsports and ask if they will work for my vehicle, because I didn’t see MB in there. But your pretty certain these are universal? And will plug right into my vehicle?
Old 07-26-2018 | 11:59 AM

2015 C63s Sedan
Have them on my car w/o issues
Old 07-26-2018 | 12:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600

sweet! I did email the company uspmotorsports and ask if they will work for my vehicle, because I didn’t see MB in there. But your pretty certain these are universal? And will plug right into my vehicle?
They are universal. All the connectors are the same.
Old 07-26-2018 | 01:08 PM

2015 c63s AMG edition 1
Originally Posted by shardul
They are universal. All the connectors are the same.
aaahh! Thank you! Such a relief to end this nightmare. Thank you very much for the info guys. I’m ordering them now. My ecu just got back from California so I should have an update with a few days when these simulators arrive and get installed.

ANOTHER question tho! With this Ecu tune from weistec and this software update available at the dealership that makes the c63s not as jerky in certain dynamic settings and also giving the car more pops, and louder exhaust note. Will that software update effect a tune?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light after exhaust upgrades???