Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C43 AMG, C63 AMG, C63S AMG (W205) > C63/C63S AMG
C63S 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR >

C63S 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR

Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63S 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR

 
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C63s
C63S 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR

The new 9 stage traction control sounds amazing. Is it a drift angle control?

Has anyone here driven a AMG GT R and be able to explain how it fully works and actually feels in the real world?

I wonder if it is something that be retro fitted somehow to the pre face lift C63s?
Zeek1 is offline  
Old 07-27-2018, 03:00 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 25
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.
Originally Posted by Zeek1 View Post

I wonder if it is something that be retro fitted somehow to the pre face lift C63s?
LOL
Faker is offline  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM
  #3  
Member
 
right_mr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SURREY, UK
Posts: 191
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
Talking

Originally Posted by Faker View Post


LOL
ROFL
right_mr is offline  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
NYCSoiL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 734
Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by Zeek1 View Post
The new 9 stage traction control sounds amazing. Is it a drift angle control?

Has anyone here driven a AMG GT R and be able to explain how it fully works and actually feels in the real world?

I wonder if it is something that be retro fitted somehow to the pre face lift C63s?
Sure, it will cost you ~$77k
NYCSoiL is offline  
Old 07-27-2018, 03:12 PM
  #5  
Member
 
507AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 147
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C63 507
Yes, have driven extensively and can say 1000% that it absolutely will dial up and down the cars interaction. Pro drivers actually adjust it during laps for different track segments. The word retrofit in this situation does not apply
507AMG is online now  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C63s
Retrofitting refers to the addition of new technology or features to older systems.

So the consensus is there there is no way software additions can be made to the pre facelift C63s ? Why not?

Zeek1 is offline  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 25
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.
Seems like you’re not picking up on the ridicule.

So with your logic, why can’t you just update a base GT’s software and retrofit the GT R’s traction control? Hell why can’t we just retrofit Apple CarPlay and the new Benz UI to all the older cars while we’re at it too. Feel silly now?

Also by the way, the traction control changes are mechanical as well: https://www.slashgear.com/2019-merce...view-25538997/
The 2019 Mercedes-AMG C63 and C63 S pack a retuned version of the AMG Ride Control system, which utilizes steel springs with adaptive dampers and an electronically controlled rear-axle limited-slip differential. Then the AMG GT R kindly donates its nine-stage traction control. If the C63 S was already a beastly car to begin with, by allowing owners to set the level of traction control on the fly – on or off the track

The whole point of a refresh is to get you to buy a new one...
Faker is offline  
Old 07-28-2018, 11:24 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S sedan
Originally Posted by Zeek1 View Post
Retrofitting refers to the addition of new technology or features to older systems.

So the consensus is there there is no way software additions can be made to the pre facelift C63s ? Why not?

You're getting a lot of snarky answers but I'll give you a more straightforward one. No, this feature cannot be retrofitted for anything like a reasonable cost. It involves a tremendous amount of programming and probably dozens of sensors that the pre-facelift cars don't have, not to mention the fact that there are mechanical changes in the new car too. Some features like a new grille do lend themselves well to retrofit. But not this, and not the new car's instrument panel or steering wheel either.
mda123 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Zeek1 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:06 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
As mda said, it would be near impossible to retrofit.

The amount of new wiring, sensors, electronics and mechanical changes are why the facelift can have all these new features that our cars don't. Not just the 9-stage traction control but from the new GPS assisted distronic plus to the newer infotainment system etc. It just can't be done, unfortunate but that's just the way it is.

Either getting the facelift or waiting for the W206 are your only options
Trim105 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Zeek1 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 03:22 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
FDNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 407
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG C63 S Edition 1 Coupe, AMG GLS 63
Agree with above; not something you can retrofit.

More importantly, unless you have a full track-ready car with hundreds of hours of professional racing behind the wheel, I *guarantee* you won't ever need (or benefit) from the ability to dial in traction control changes. Even the AMG instructors at the AMG Driving Academy almost always leave the traction control as is, cuz the OEM traction control is THAT GOOD. You'd have to be one heck of a driver to have that be your limiting factor (wanting to allow for a bit more wheel spin in certain turns etc) in improving your track times... Just my $0.02...
FDNewbie is offline  
Old 07-29-2018, 03:53 AM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C63s
Originally Posted by FDNewbie View Post
Agree with above; not something you can retrofit.

More importantly, unless you have a full track-ready car with hundreds of hours of professional racing behind the wheel, I *guarantee* you won't ever need (or benefit) from the ability to dial in traction control changes. Even the AMG instructors at the AMG Driving Academy almost always leave the traction control as is, cuz the OEM traction control is THAT GOOD. You'd have to be one heck of a driver to have that be your limiting factor (wanting to allow for a bit more wheel spin in certain turns etc) in improving your track times... Just my $0.02...
Don't fully agree there

I find the traction control intrusive on the c63s, even when in race mode. I raced go-karts as a kid and learned to drive on 1200kg 400hp+ V8 with no traction or stability control.

At times I would like greater freedom without having to turn everything completely off.

I'm sure AMG wouldn't have added this feature on facelift model if they didn't feel it would make the car more fun.

Zeek1 is offline  
Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 83
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
W205
Good article inc. traction Control system

Here a new article that refers well to the new traction Control system for the C63s

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...--driven/38425
tiledhouse is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by tiledhouse:
[email protected] (08-01-2018), Zeek1 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
FDNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 407
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG C63 S Edition 1 Coupe, AMG GLS 63
Originally Posted by tiledhouse View Post
Here a new article that refers well to the new traction Control system for the C63s

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...--driven/38425
Woah...upgraded tranny? So assuming the additional fuel requirement is covered, the facelift can potentially hold a lot more tq than the early W205? Cuz I know that's the main concern many owners have... NOW you have me wondering about the possibility of a tranny swap...
FDNewbie is offline  
Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Faker View Post
Seems like youíre not picking up on the ridicule.

So with your logic, why canít you just update a base GTís software and retrofit the GT Rís traction control? Hell why canít we just retrofit Apple CarPlay and the new Benz UI to all the older cars while weíre at it too. Feel silly now?

Also by the way, the traction control changes are mechanical as well: https://www.slashgear.com/2019-merce...view-25538997/
The 2019 Mercedes-AMG C63 and C63 S pack a retuned version of the AMG Ride Control system, which utilizes steel springs with adaptive dampers and an electronically controlled rear-axle limited-slip differential. Then the AMG GT R kindly donates its nine-stage traction control. If the C63 S was already a beastly car to begin with, by allowing owners to set the level of traction control on the fly Ė on or off the track

The whole point of a refresh is to get you to buy a new one...
Just an FYI, i retrofitted apple carplay and new UI to my 2017 just need a headunit change, card reader change and card reader wiring change. I could do it in 30 minutes.
Star4life is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Zeek1 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:32 PM
  #15  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 478
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by Star4life View Post
Just an FYI, i retrofitted apple carplay and new UI to my 2017 just need a headunit change, card reader change and card reader wiring change. I could do it in 30 minutes.
Got any pics?
KJ is offline  
Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by KJ
Got any pics?
And instructions on how to do it?
AMGWagon is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 PM
  #17  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
guess you guys dont get out to the peasant forums too much. i am not sure if the c63 all ship with command, but you would be giving up command to get carplay. if you have audio 20 with or without burmeister it works. I had audio 20 with burmeister in my c43 and its a ok

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...t-attempt.html
Star4life is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:59 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,009
Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Star4life View Post
guess you guys dont get out to the peasant forums too much. i am not sure if the c63 all ship with command, but you would be giving up command to get carplay. if you have audio 20 with or without burmeister it works. I had audio 20 with burmeister in my c43 and its a ok

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...t-attempt.html
I don't think there were many (if any at all) C63S's in the states that shipped with Audio 20 instead of Command. Apple CarPlay is cool, but there's no way I'm replacing the entire Mercedes UI for it! Apple Maps is horrible, and there are tons of features in the MB Command that I use daily (what happens to Dynamic select, the engine performance gauges, etc?). Find a solution to integrate the two, and you have a winner. But this is a ridiculously involved project that achieves little to no benefit over the existing Command unit.. other than the ability to use a few apps on a smaller, downgraded screen.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 08-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.
AlexZTuned is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:17 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Star4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 847
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned View Post
I don't think there were many (if any at all) C63S's in the states that shipped with Audio 20 instead of Command. Apple CarPlay is cool, but there's no way I'm replacing the entire Mercedes UI for it! Apple Maps is horrible, and there are tons of features in the MB Command that I use daily (what happens to Dynamic select, the engine performance gauges, etc?). Find a solution to integrate the two, and you have a winner. But this is a ridiculously involved project that achieves little to no benefit over the existing Command unit.. other than the ability to use a few apps on a smaller, downgraded screen.
If you have command i agree i would not waste the time. if you have audio 20, this is a definite upgrade. the base audio 20 unit UI is horrible and laggy as hell. it even froze up on me on a weekly basis. I have not had any issues with this new unit. I will say even the command is laggy only when streaming from iphone to the unit either via blue tooth or cable. I think it has something to do with how mercedes indexes the apple music app. either way if you have command i dont see a reason to do the swap. if you have audio 20 it is very much needed for me! also i found the head unit for $500 in a scrap yard so to me i was out for under $600 after all was said and done.

and its really not that involved. Literally swapping 3 components and coding. Can be done in 30 minutes. an hour with a beer
Star4life is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM
  #20  
PREMIUM SPONSOR
 
susman@eurogermantown.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,646
Received 281 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by tiledhouse View Post
Here a new article that refers well to the new traction Control system for the C63s

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...--driven/38425
very helpful, thank you..don't think I can demo that for people though lol..
susman@eurogermantown.com is online now  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63S 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: