Clicking from front wheels when turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
Clicking from front wheels when turning

Hi folks,

I've recently had a clicking coming from my front wheels, most noticeably when turning. Took it to my dealer. They told me that it was my new K-mac lower control arm busing, and take it up with them. Despite not believing this, had the mech who installed re-check the busing, check the locking tabs, etc. Not the problem. Still clicking. Frustrated, I took it to another third party mech to diagnose it. They pulled the whole wheel apart, to eliminate various components, and after removing the wheel bearing-hub assembly, found that that was where the clicking was. This was on my front passenger side. I took it back in to my dealer and told them that another mech that I had to pay to diagnose it, determined that it was the wheel bearing. My dealer said that they would need to verify. I asked if they would also replace the drivers side, as they should be replaced in pairs. They investigated, confirmed and "agreed" to do the drivers side too, as an "act of good faith". Picked up the car and basically 20 minutes worth of driving later, the sound came back, only on the drivers side now. Took it back in as soon as they could accommodate a few days later. They said that they found a bulletin on an older platform about when replacing new wheel hubs, to use molly on the steel to aluminum contact point of the hub to spindle, as the two dissimilar metals create this sound from the friction. Both sides were lubed and "I should not have any more problems with it. They said that it also might have to do with the new geometry created by the k-mac bushings with their slight increase in neg camber and aftermarket wheels and tires. Anyway, 20 minutes worth of driving later, the sound is back! Anybody else go through this? Also, I read somewhere about older 507's having an issue where the caliper pins and brake pad brackets get out of whack and need to be re-tweaked, tightened, etc. This is what it sounds more like, as the sound is like something is clicking against the slot in the 2 piece rotors on every rotation. Has anyone else experienced any of these front wheel click, click, click, click issues when turning, and if so, any solutions? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster. 2013 SL65 2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Polar63s
Hi folks,

I've recently had a clicking coming from my front wheels, most noticeably when turning. Took it to my dealer. They told me that it was my new K-mac lower control arm busing, and take it up with them. Despite not believing this, had the mech who installed re-check the busing, check the locking tabs, etc. Not the problem. Still clicking. Frustrated, I took it to another third party mech to diagnose it. They pulled the whole wheel apart, to eliminate various components, and after removing the wheel bearing-hub assembly, found that that was where the clicking was. This was on my front passenger side. I took it back in to my dealer and told them that another mech that I had to pay to diagnose it, determined that it was the wheel bearing. My dealer said that they would need to verify. I asked if they would also replace the drivers side, as they should be replaced in pairs. They investigated, confirmed and "agreed" to do the drivers side too, as an "act of good faith". Picked up the car and basically 20 minutes worth of driving later, the sound came back, only on the drivers side now. Took it back in as soon as they could accommodate a few days later. They said that they found a bulletin on an older platform about when replacing new wheel hubs, to use molly on the steel to aluminum contact point of the hub to spindle, as the two dissimilar metals create this sound from the friction. Both sides were lubed and "I should not have any more problems with it. They said that it also might have to do with the new geometry created by the k-mac bushings with their slight increase in neg camber and aftermarket wheels and tires. Anyway, 20 minutes worth of driving later, the sound is back! Anybody else go through this? Also, I read somewhere about older 507's having an issue where the caliper pins and brake pad brackets get out of whack and need to be re-tweaked, tightened, etc. This is what it sounds more like, as the sound is like something is clicking against the slot in the 2 piece rotors on every rotation. Has anyone else experienced any of these front wheel click, click, click, click issues when turning, and if so, any solutions? Thanks.
This is a really common problem on the New ZL1 camaros. I had this same exact issue for months, finally GM figured out it was the wheel surface against the 2 piece rotor hat. Cleaned both surfaces remounted and re-torqued wheels and never had a problem again. could be a similar issue. Literally identical Scenario.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:45 PM

C63s
Thank you. The car is going back in. Will ask them to check into that. Hoping my aftermarket wheels are their response, if that is the case. BTW, how do you like the 200 cell cats. I have the R1 without them, and love it. Did you install them at the same time as the tune or separately, and able to comment on the difference that they made?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
W205 c63s AMG
Check your steering rack where the yoke goes into it. Put a prybar where it connects and gently pry and see if it duplicates the noise.

MB replaced mine under warranty while my car was bagged lol
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
If it happens on full lock when you're turning from a standstill then my money is on it being physics/geometry. Essentially the turning radius of inner and outer wheels is different and one wheel has to skip on the tarmac. it is usually seen on cars with performance tyres. It also tends to happen when the tyres are cold.

if you are barely turning the steering and it is clicking then it coudl be something else.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM

Thank you. The car is going back in. Will ask them to check into that. Hoping my aftermarket wheels are their response, if that is the case. BTW, how do you like the 200 cell cats. I have the R1 without them, and love it. Did you install them at the same time as the tune or separately, and able to comment on the difference that they made?
i actually did the DP's first and then added the mufflers. the sound is absolutely unreal. Its a beast. it is definitely louder in comfort over OEM with the down pipes but even in the convertible it isn't too loud to talk on the phone. I say that because my AMG GTS was SO noisy it gave me a headache. My wife and i were going to a hockey game one night, and i literally yelled to her, Im selling this thing. so now we have the SL65 and the C63S lol
The following users liked this post:
Polar63s (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:36 PM

C63s
Thanks for the good leads so far. Unfortunately, it probably isn't the wet/cold wheel at full lock thing. Had that too, but accept that one as the nature of the beast. This sound is happening at speed, and even in mild turns. It's really loud too, when driving up against a barrier, tree line, building. Did mention the the ZL1/rotor hat scenario above, as the next place they may want to look. Will see?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
W205 c63s AMG
Thanks for the good leads so far. Unfortunately, it probably isn't the wet/cold wheel at full lock thing. Had that too, but accept that one as the nature of the beast. This sound is happening at speed, and even in mild turns. It's really loud too, when driving up against a barrier, tree line, building. Did mention the the ZL1/rotor hat scenario above, as the next place they may want to look. Will see?
Did you check the steering rack?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
Just to chime in as I had a similar problem and turned out to be that tire problem, couldn't believe it but that's what it was. Just needed an alignment. Might not be the same but check if you've got any odd tire wear.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 PM

C63s
Will do and thanks. Dealer's Mech did the rotor hat and wheel clean/ re-torque thing as recommended by C63SVERT and it has quieted for now, but will certainly update after a few more miles, and check into the steering rack thing next, if needed. Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2018, 11:36 AM

Will do and thanks. Dealer's Mech did the rotor hat and wheel clean/ re-torque thing as recommended by C63SVERT and it has quieted for now, but will certainly update after a few more miles, and check into the steering rack thing next, if needed. Thanks again!
Awesome! i really hope that's the fix! i know how frustrating it is.
The following users liked this post:
right_mr (10-29-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM

2017 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63SVERT
This is a really common problem on the New ZL1 camaros. I had this same exact issue for months, finally GM figured out it was the wheel surface against the 2 piece rotor hat. Cleaned both surfaces remounted and re-torqued wheels and never had a problem again. could be a similar issue. Literally identical Scenario.
This was also an issue on my C7 Z06. It drove me nuts.

Pulled the wheels, cleaned the mounting surface, applied a bit of hi temp grease, remounted and never heard the noise again. 10k miles and no noise.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM

C63s
Thank you. Yes, crazy. They did the same after several of the more obvious things on mine. We will see. I appreciate your adding to this. By the way, do you still have/drive the vette? Was considering a 17 z06. Do you have the same overheating issues that other earlier MY's had?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 AM

2017 C63 AMG
Thank you. Yes, crazy. They did the same after several of the more obvious things on mine. We will see. I appreciate your adding to this. By the way, do you still have/drive the vette? Was considering a 17 z06. Do you have the same overheating issues that other earlier MY's had?
No more Z06. It got totaled about 2 months ago and now I’ve entered the Mercedes world with the C63.

tbe overheating issues on those was only on the track. However the 1 day I did at lacuna seca I didn’t experience any overheating whatsoever.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 501 Likes on 339 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Did the issue ever come back after the cleaning ? Did you get it fixed mate?

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 03-29-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Did the issue ever come back after the cleaning ? Did you get it fixed mate?
Hey Jimmy. Apparently my PAGID street/race brake pads shifted in the caliper and were hitting something. They replaced with OEM pads and the sound went away. Go figure. After being in there several times alone for this issue, they noticed this and that the pads were cracked up a bit as well. In hindsight, I don’t believe that they were an exact fit size and shape wise to the OEM so its very possible. I have since sold the car. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 501 Likes on 339 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Hey Jimmy. Apparently my PAGID street/race brake pads shifted in the caliper and were hitting something. They replaced with OEM pads and the sound went away.
Got it. Thanks for taking the time to update us (even though you've moved on)!

What are you driving now? Not going to get another C63?