Slow gearbox 2016 C63S Estate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Wagon
Slow gearbox 2016 C63S Estate

Hello everyone! Just joined here!

My first AMG and I’m loving it since the moment I got it.

I have a bit of doubt on the transmission and wanted to hear your experiences.

First is on cold start when I want to reverse out of my parking spot, the car does nothing after I put it in reverse. Unless I give it some gas it will not move. If I do nothing after like 5 seconds the car will slowly start to move.

Is this normal?

Second is some times when I start the engine, when I put it in Drive, I can hear like a single bang noise. Feels like the transmission knocked into drive. This happened both warm and cold engine.

Have you experienced this?

Overall I’m not a big fan of the gearbox, when I do a u turn on a narrower street, it is very slow changing from Reverse to Drive. The change is actually not slow but the time I have to wait for it to move is quite annoying.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:17 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
I have the reverse issue. I just blip it and it goes. Doesn't seem to be anything serious because it goes away after that.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by V8LHL

First is on cold start when I want to reverse out of my parking spot, the car does nothing after I put it in reverse. Unless I give it some gas it will not move. If I do nothing after like 5 seconds the car will slowly start to move.

Is this normal?

Second is some times when I start the engine, when I put it in Drive, I can hear like a single bang noise. Feels like the transmission knocked into drive. This happened both warm and cold engine.

Overall I’m not a big fan of the gearbox, when I do a u turn on a narrower street, it is very slow changing from Reverse to Drive. The change is actually not slow but the time I have to wait for it to move is quite annoying.

i have the reverse characteristic you mention, maybe this is normal

When you select D are you parked on a hill and the car has rolled forward previously when selecting P. If this is the case I would say normal
Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 AM

C63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Behind The Bibs

i have the reverse characteristic you mention, maybe this is normal

When you select D are you parked on a hill and the car has rolled forward previously when selecting P. If this is the case I would say normal
on perfectly normal flat surface it will do the same. When doing u turn, it’s the time between I change the gear stallk to the car actually moves is very long.

Much longer than a pdk porches I used to drove and not as fast as my old manual car.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 AM

C63S AMG

Is this normal?

I have the same issue in my 2015. Put it in reverse and nothing happens (unlike my 2008 e63). I actually have to gun it a bit just to get going. It's somewhat annoying. Maybe it's a safety feature?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
The clutches in the trans engauge like a manual from a stop all the time if you really pay attention. When it’s in comfort mode it babies reverse and drive gear engagement, especially when cold. I’ve noticed the 2-1 gear change “bang” or clunk happens when the trans fluid is below 100* and goes away completely when warm. Trans works great once it’s warm and gear changes are almost as quick as my Audi’s twin clutch was.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 S AMG
I experience the same with my c63s 2016. Slow to change gears but its actually the moving part that is slow.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:04 PM

C63S Wagon
Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
The clutches in the trans engauge like a manual from a stop all the time if you really pay attention. When it’s in comfort mode it babies reverse and drive gear engagement, especially when cold. I’ve noticed the 2-1 gear change “bang” or clunk happens when the trans fluid is below 100* and goes away completely when warm. Trans works great once it’s warm and gear changes are almost as quick as my Audi’s twin clutch was.
yes and I had the clunk from 2-1 in sport +, if you go to merc ask for an update on eco it should solve the problem.

after the update you will get pops and bangs from exhaust when revving standing still.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:05 PM

C63S Wagon
Originally Posted by lovepower1
I experience the same with my c63s 2016. Slow to change gears but its actually the moving part that is slow.
thanks for sharing your experience! I think this might be just normal and in the face lift they changed to 9 speed new box so guess is to improve this.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 S AMG

yes and I had the clunk from 2-1 in sport +, if you go to merc ask for an update on eco it should solve the problem.

after the update you will get pops and bangs from exhaust when revving standing still.
i did the update and it def improved everything and made the car do pops and bangs as well. But the 2-1 is still clunky and harsh in sport+ but not as bad as before. now with this update, i have no cold start sometimes though. Seems like everyone with the 2018 mid summer update has this issue (from another thread here in forum)