C63 W205 2015 Gearbox problem - intermittent harsh shifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 2015 4.0
C63 W205 2015 Gearbox problem - intermittent harsh shifts

Hello,

One of my first posts here, I had my car for about 6 months now and I have to say I quite disappointed with the way it shifts. When I got the car the gearbox seemed to be totally confused about what it needs to do and there was significant clutch judder. I took it to Main Dealer for diagnosis and after 7 days they couldn't find anything but they updated the software. This helped the judder when the clutch slips (mostly on comfort) was gone and the gearbox seems to know when to change gears.

5 months later I am concerned again, in the recent cold weather, my problem happens at least 2 times a week. Sporadically, when the car warms up after 10 minutes of driving the gear shifts become very harsh. It seems like the gear changed and the clutch slams together, there is a perceivable loss of driver followed by a hit of torque to the wheels (This happens in C,S, S+ and M ) it's actually quite dangerous in slippery conditions as it cause the wheels to lose traction!!

I found to fix the problem when I stop the car and turn off and back on the engine (ignition cycle) the problem disappears gear-shifts become quick and smotth as they should be during normal operation.

To me, it seems it must be some sort of clutch control adaptation or some sensor going bad? Does anyone have similar problems with the MCT clutch / transmission?

Thank you
Old 02-02-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by ems23
Hello,

One of my first posts here, I had my car for about 6 months now and I have to say I quite disappointed with the way it shifts. When I got the car the gearbox seemed to be totally confused about what it needs to do and there was significant clutch judder. I took it to Main Dealer for diagnosis and after 7 days they couldn't find anything but they updated the software. This helped the judder when the clutch slips (mostly on comfort) was gone and the gearbox seems to know when to change gears.

5 months later I am concerned again, in the recent cold weather, my problem happens at least 2 times a week. Sporadically, when the car warms up after 10 minutes of driving the gear shifts become very harsh. It seems like the gear changed and the clutch slams together, there is a perceivable loss of driver followed by a hit of torque to the wheels (This happens in C,S, S+ and M ) it's actually quite dangerous in slippery conditions as it cause the wheels to lose traction!!

I found to fix the problem when I stop the car and turn off and back on the engine (ignition cycle) the problem disappears gear-shifts become quick and smotth as they should be during normal operation.

To me, it seems it must be some sort of clutch control adaptation or some sensor going bad? Does anyone have similar problems with the MCT clutch / transmission?

Thank you
Try and drive to dealer when it’s happening and demonstrate
​​​​​​Must be a fault as resets with ignition cycle
Sorry for stating the obvious
Good luck

Last edited by Behind The Bibs; 02-02-2019 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spellings
Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
This happened to me once a couple of weeks back. Never happened before or again since.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 AM
SEI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had random hard shifts too. I complained to the dealer and they gave me a software update that made the shifting smooth and the exhaust alot louder
Old 05-18-2019, 05:48 PM

W205 2015 4.0
I had no luck dealer said no fault found ... does anyone know how to reset the gearbox adaptation settings?

I found this sequence:
  1. Turn ignition on but don’t start
  2. press pedal to the floor and hold it 5 seconds
  3. turn car off but keep the key in the ignition for 20sec.

can any one verify this works on c63 w205? Also I have keyless option so I gues I need to take out the silver button from the ignition?
Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
This just happens to me today. Cold day out (30°) but never had anything like it before, even this morning when driving to work.

Exactly as described here, particularly in Sport +, under medium throttle, the car pauses and then abruptly up shifts with a jolt.

I realize this thread is a bit old but I don’t see any relevant newer ones.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:44 AM

C63 s coupe
hey,
i have mine since 4/5 months now and have a little bit the same issue. Are your facelift or prefacelift versions ?