C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No secondary CAT's on my UK 2016 C63s?!?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C63s AMG
No secondary CAT's on my UK 2016 C63s?!?

Ok, just got my 2016 C63s a few weeks ago and after reading the excellent topic on the subject decided to delete my secondary CAT's. Booked into a great guy here in NI yesterday and when he got my car on the ramps we discovered there were no secondary cats, just straight pipes running all the way back from the mufflers to the primary cats?! First instinct was previous owner has had them removed but the mechanic said he was almost certain it was like that from the factory, no signs of any mods, pipes all totally intact from front to back?!

very very strange, anyone heard of anything like this on UK 2016 cars? As a way of increasing the sound without going the full down pipe route we are going to replace the mufflers with a sports version instead...
Old 04-18-2019, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Pics? I wouldn’t replace the muffler, unless you want to lose the AMG tone.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by -Moleman-
Ok, just got my 2016 C63s a few weeks ago and after reading the excellent topic on the subject decided to delete my secondary CAT's. Booked into a great guy here in NI yesterday and when he got my car on the ramps we discovered there were no secondary cats, just straight pipes running all the way back from the mufflers to the primary cats?! First instinct was previous owner has had them removed but the mechanic said he was almost certain it was like that from the factory, no signs of any mods, pipes all totally intact from front to back?!

very very strange, anyone heard of anything like this on UK 2016 cars? As a way of increasing the sound without going the full down pipe route we are going to replace the mufflers with a sports version instead...
They've been removed for sure.

Must have been a very good job if it's not noticeable
Old 04-19-2019, 03:00 AM

Mercedes C63s AMG
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Pics? I wouldn’t replace the muffler, unless you want to lose the AMG tone.
ill try to crawl underneath and get a few pics.

Interested on the muffler comment, when I asked for a bit more sound without going the down pipe route he suggested cutting out the muffler and then tacking in a few sport mufflers options in their place, he would let me hear the car on idle and on the throttle until I found the one I liked.

are you saying the distinctive amg gurgle could be lost by replacing the factory muffler?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:22 AM

Mercedes C63s AMG
Ok, I took a few shots of the exhaust from the back of the car all the way to the front,

Old 04-19-2019, 06:51 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
That’s not where they are. You have to look up.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Mercedes C63s AMG
I thought they should have been somewhere between the second and third photo, the last photo shows the pipes just before they bend up towards the engine which is surely where the primary CAT’s are located?

its an entirely straight pipe from the tips and muffler at one end all the way until it disappears from sight up into the engine bay. They surely don’t have the primary and secondary CAT’s so close together up into the engine bay itself?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
If your mechanic can't even find the cats, I wouldn't trust them with the job haha..

Second, go look at the entire thread about secondary cats and you'll see where they are...

Edit: is that a non-perf exhaust?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 AM

Mercedes C63s AMG
Originally Posted by skim7x
If your mechanic can't even find the cats, I wouldn't trust them with the job haha..

Second, go look at the entire thread about secondary cats and you'll see where they are...

Edit: is that a non-perf exhaust?
thats the point, he has done many, many secondary cat deletes and full system installs although mainly on M car, he also builds and rents out a fleet of track day cars again all M3’s. When we got underneath the car there are no cats where we expected to see them, when I suggested the previous owner had removed them he said it whole pipe looked original front to back, no mods in his opinion.

Its a non performance exhaust unfortunately
Old 04-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Mercedes C63s AMG
Originally Posted by -Moleman-
thats the point, he has done many, many secondary cat deletes and full system installs although mainly on M car, he also builds and rents out a fleet of track day cars again all M3’s. When we got underneath the car there are no cats where we expected to see them, when I suggested the previous owner had removed them he said it whole pipe looked original front to back, no mods in his opinion.

Its a non performance exhaust unfortunately

If this is roughly where the secondary cats are on a w205 C63s then they are not there, that’s roughly the area between my second and third photo a few posts above.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
That exhaust pic is from a W204. Here is the W205 diagram - the primary cats are right off the turbochargers (basically in engine bay), and secondaries at the end of the downpipe.

You’re looking at the wrong part, that’s the catback. We have separate downpipes that have both cats on them.

See #1 and #2 for the secondary cats. You posted pictures of #6.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 04-19-2019 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Enrique Borunda (04-22-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:39 AM

Mercedes C63s AMG
Very helpful, thanks very much