Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot 4s tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
The PS4S mostly has improved wet traction over the PSS thanks to the mix of compounds and noticably better traction in the dry when driven hard thanks to the aramid/nylon belts that maintain the shape of the tire much better under pressure and therefore increases the contact patch under hard cornering for example. It's actually quite noticable if you drive the PSS and PS4S back to back on the same car. Straight line dry grip is about the same, though.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic, 2018 c63s coupe
Just ordered a set of the Ps4s 305s excited! 5 days to go 😊
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
I just put PS4's on my new wheels even though the PSS were not even half worn. WAY better in every respect. I'm really happy with them.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic, 2018 c63s coupe
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I just put PS4's on my new wheels even though the PSS were not even half worn. WAY better in every respect. I'm really happy with them.
Do you have to roll into the throttle or will it grip off the line?
Old 07-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
Depends on the surface but for the most part I still have to roll it in however they don't light as quickly and I can be more aggressive. I don't know if any tire will handle full throttle from a dead stop. Either way a significant improvement over the PSS.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C63 AMG S; 2016 BMW 340i MPPK; 2020 Mini Cooper
Originally Posted by superswiss
Haven't tried them on a C63 yet, but I'm gonna replace the OEM PSS with PS4S pretty soon once i get back from my ED trip and the car arrives in the USA. On my RS5 I've gone from the OEM Pirelli P Zero to a set of PSS and now PS4S. The PS4S is an awesome tire. They seemed a bit stiffer at first, but have worn in and now provide better ride and handling than the PSS. The steering response and wet grip are phenomenal. You can really feel how the tire keeps its shape during cornering and has a better contact patch. It should help the C63 put the power down. The PSS are not bad. I'm currently inundated in rain storms here in Europe and while I can break traction in Comfort mode it's not bad at all. I've used the new Slippery mode only once. It does throttle the torque and power to help with traction, but I haven't really found it necessary.
superswiss, the reduced mode is a lower power spec of the engine, or is just a throttle change?

Almost ending breaking in period. After i Will really test al modes included the reduced one.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by fjp63amg
superswiss, the reduced mode is a lower power spec of the engine, or is just a throttle change?

Almost ending breaking in period. After i Will really test al modes included the reduced one.
No, the slippery mode affects all aspect of the powertrain from engine to the diff. For example, the transmission starts in 2nd gear from a stop.
The following users liked this post:
fjp63amg (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dumb question for you guys, are the stock tires that come with the C63s staggered 19/20's runflats?

I'm assuming as well the Pilot 4s tires are not.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Iversonbiatch
Dumb question for you guys, are the stock tires that come with the C63s staggered 19/20's runflats?

I'm assuming as well the Pilot 4s tires are not.
Yes, they are staggered 19/20 if you get the upgraded wheels. Standard is 19 all around, but no runflats on the C63 ever. Runflats are for less performance oriented models.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Yes, they are staggered 19/20 if you get the upgraded wheels. Standard is 19 all around, but no runflats on the C63 ever. Runflats are for less performance oriented models.
Yep, the C43 for example comes only with runflats I believe. They still do not provide a spare with the C63, but just the tire sealant stuff.

I have also seen complaints of rim cracking easily in the C43 because of the runflats.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Red face Just do it

Agree with everything positive said here. Had to replace fronts on my 18C63s coupe at 10k miles due to bad wear from lousy original factory alignment. Just over a week ago replaced all around because the rears were normally worn out at 17k miles. The PS4s cost the same as the OEM PSSs, maybe even a little less, yet they are better in every noticeable way.

They only "issue" was that the PS4s do not come in the factory-OEM 255-285 sizes so I had to go oversize with 265-295s (and even though these sizes are made it seems to be hard for some tire shops to figure that out and order them). When I first looked into getting PS4s a year ago TireRack was a good source of info on the oversize and what fits issue but they have changed their web site since then (for the worse) and in two chat dialogs were not supportive at all (essentially "buy what we got and buy what the machine says the car manufacturer used originally"). My regular store (a Big O franchise, which is/was a TireRack approved installer) could not find 265/35/19s fronts in its computer and wanted me to go with 305/30/19 rears (too extreme for what I wanted) so I went to a local America's Tire franchise. They had good info, still had to order the tires, but then did the actual install in 13 minutes with a team of four handling the work like a pit crew!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
Yep, the C43 for example comes only with runflats I believe. They still do not provide a spare with the C63, but just the tire sealant stuff.

I have also seen complaints of rim cracking easily in the C43 because of the runflats.
Yeah, with the C63 it's the fix-a-flat-kit or roadside assistance if the tire is too damaged. I haven't owned a car with a spare in the last 8 years and no runflats. Hasn't been an issue. It's rare to blow out a tire completely if you stay on top of checking the tire pressure and do visual inspection of the tire regularly, so most of the time a spare is just dead weight.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by rroberts
They only "issue" was that the PS4s do not come in the factory-OEM 255-285 sizes ...
They do come in proper OEM size. Right there on Tirerack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...20285%2F30-20R
Old 07-07-2019, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C63S coupe
Yeah, with the C63 it's the fix-a-flat-kit or roadside assistance if the tire is too damaged. I haven't owned a car with a spare in the last 8 years and no runflats. Hasn't been an issue. It's rare to blow out a tire completely if you stay on top of checking the tire pressure and do visual inspection of the tire regularly, so most of the time a spare is just dead weight.
Originally Posted by rroberts
Agree with everything positive said here. Had to replace fronts on my 18C63s coupe at 10k miles due to bad wear from lousy original factory alignment. Just over a week ago replaced all around because the rears were normally worn out at 17k miles. The PS4s cost the same as the OEM PSSs, maybe even a little less, yet they are better in every noticeable way.

They only "issue" was that the PS4s do not come in the factory-OEM 255-285 sizes so I had to go oversize with 265-295s (and even though these sizes are made it seems to be hard for some tire shops to figure that out and order them). When I first looked into getting PS4s a year ago TireRack was a good source of info on the oversize and what fits issue but they have changed their web site since then (for the worse) and in two chat dialogs were not supportive at all (essentially "buy what we got and buy what the machine says the car manufacturer used originally"). My regular store (a Big O franchise, which is/was a TireRack approved installer) could not find 265/35/19s fronts in its computer and wanted me to go with 305/30/19 rears (too extreme for what I wanted) so I went to a local America's Tire franchise. They had good info, still had to order the tires, but then did the actual install in 13 minutes with a team of four handling the work like a pit crew!
I have 2019 C63S coupe and changed stock tires PSS with only 1,100 miles to Ps4 based on safer, better traction in rain and mant reviews on line.The tire expert at MB Dealership said I should not increase tire size so ordered Ps4 and they has them in the next day. Independent tire company was sure about increase tire size and said rear were on back order. So I had dealership put 4 new Ps4 and I fell it a safer drive.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 AMG C63s coupe
I have a 2019 C63s coupe and replaced the super sports to PS4s and went to 305 in the rear and 265 on the fronts.
Traction is noticeably improved, will see if it continues as they begin to wear.
Track day in November too.....

Last edited by gilmdjd; 10-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Most of these comparison is based on new and wider tires vs worn stock sizes. What do you expect? Btw, the OEM tires have the logo “MO1” and there’s the other Super Sport without the logo. I’m not sure if there’s any performance different between the two.

Last edited by Klinh; 10-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63S
Just had PS4S's fitted to mine. I had Dunlop SportMaxx fitted before which were OK, but they didnt last long and I found them loud and not great. They are good, not great. I would say that the Dunlops were a bit of a nightmare cold, but did warm up quickly and got great grip, but as we head into winter here in Northern California, they arent the best. They dont like rain and it was easy to get the rears to spin, even with somewhat gentle driving. One particular intersection and corner was a nightmare! Controlable, but a matter of time before I got busted!

I ended up getting my PS4S's at my local dealer! They did a good price to start with but had an offer to save $150 and have free fitting in September, so went with them. I do find the Michelin's a little quieter, more progressive on grip and in general driving I find them a little more progressive on grip. The Dunlop's were fantastic for grip, but when you stepped over the limit, they broke quickly. I find the Michelin's are much more progressive and I find it easier to identify the limits for my ham-fisted attempts at spirited driving. I am hoping (expecting) good things for winter and wet weather, so a great investment all around.

I used to have a Porsche Cayenne (cant remember the tires fitted, think they were Pirelli's). Swapped to Continental DWS06's - not the highest performance, best grip or most extreme, but transformed that car. Turned it into something that you could really enjoy hustling around and have fun. Very progressive tire on that car. Feel the same with the PS4S's on the C63S, still need to get out and have a good drive, but do feel that the slight (maybe I am making this up) reduction in ultimate grip means its letting the chassis do more and react better - then again, it could be entirely in my brain!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Are PSS just offered on newer models? I bought my 17 with low KM so I'm assuming they're the original set and I didn't get MIchelins on it. I switched to ps4s on my 2012 c63 and LOVED them. They're even great in the rain, although they don't provide much traction when it's below about 10-15C outside.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 Coupe
Anyone try the bmw spec pilot 4s? Tirerack doesnt have an estimated delivery for the regular spec ones that I already ordered but I could get the bmw spec ones for the rear. The PSSs on the car have a decent amount of meat so I'm not in a rush but just wondering if anyone had any experience

Thanks
Old 04-26-2022, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by gforc3
Anyone try the bmw spec pilot 4s? Tirerack doesnt have an estimated delivery for the regular spec ones that I already ordered but I could get the bmw spec ones for the rear. The PSSs on the car have a decent amount of meat so I'm not in a rush but just wondering if anyone had any experience

Thanks
Not yet. I was planning on trying them out for my next rear set. They sound promising as they are closer to the Cup 2. BMW changed the compound makeup from the standard PS4S to make it more like the Cup 2, but not giving up quite as much wet grip. They are all back ordered into June at the moment, except for the standard front PS4S. My coupe is actually in the shop at the moment getting new front tires. I originally ordered the new MO1 spec of the PS4S for the front at the beginning of April, but it got delayed twice, so I cancelled the order and placed a new order for the standard PS4S last Friday. They arrived yesterday at my indy just in time for my appointment today. My rears still have about 7/32", so hopefully by the time they are due I can get them. Might order them in reserve once they become available again.

Comparison between the standard PS4S and the BMW Star PS4S:

Last edited by superswiss; 04-26-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 Coupe
Thank you yea I was just watching that. I’m sure they perform great I just thought I remembered someone posting they had the bmw specs and they were extremely noisy but I can’t find the post anywhere now
Old 05-23-2022, 03:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
Bumping this as I am in need of new tires and going with PS4's and it looks like either the M01 and BMW star options would be available to be delivered by end of week. Are there any major differences between the two options? The BMW star are around 75$ cheaper for the set for some reason.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
Bumping this as I am in need of new tires and going with PS4's and it looks like either the M01 and BMW star options would be available to be delivered by end of week. Are there any major differences between the two options? The BMW star are around 75$ cheaper for the set for some reason.
I put on new ones on the front last month. Wanted to try the MO1. Ordered them at the beginning of April and they went from being promised towards the end of April to being 2-3 months backordered, so you better check. I ended up cancelling the order and went with the standard PS4S again. The BMW Star was also backordered from what I remember. I don't know what's different about the MO1, but I figured I'd try it if I can get them, but I guess it has to wait. The BMW Star is interesting as shown in the video I posted above. It's closer to the Cup 2 than the regular PS4S, so I'm kinda interested in that for the rears. I'll see if they are available when I need new rears.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
I put on new ones on the front last month. Wanted to try the MO1. Ordered them at the beginning of April and they went from being promised towards the end of April to being 2-3 months backordered, so you better check. I ended up cancelling the order and went with the standard PS4S again. The BMW Star was also backordered from what I remember. I don't know what's different about the MO1, but I figured I'd try it if I can get them, but I guess it has to wait. The BMW Star is interesting as shown in the video I posted above. It's closer to the Cup 2 than the regular PS4S, so I'm kinda interested in that for the rears. I'll see if they are available when I need new rears.
Yeah, I'm currently on the phone with tire rack because they showed 5/31 ship dates for the fronts (M01) and the rears (regular PS4) and the order confirmation is now showing the front 6/18 and the rears backordered. The dealer says they should have both in stock by Weds. but not sure how reliable that date is or if they get a preferred allocation to those like tire rack.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
Yeah, I'm currently on the phone with tire rack because they showed 5/31 ship dates for the fronts (M01) and the rears (regular PS4) and the order confirmation is now showing the front 6/18 and the rears backordered. The dealer says they should have both in stock by Weds. but not sure how reliable that date is or if they get a preferred allocation to those like tire rack.
Pretty much the same experience I had. It seems unless the tire is in stock, the dates are wild guesses at the moment. When I ordered them they were supposed to ship within a week, then on the day they were supposed to ship I got an email from tire rack saying they'd be delayed by 2 weeks. That was still ok, because my indy was booked anyway, and the new shipping date was still in time for my appointment. Then the new shipping date came and I got another email from tire rack telling me they are now 2-3 months delayed. They pretty much don't have a clue when these tires arrive. They were nice enough to ask if I still wanted them. I scrambled to order the regular ones on a Friday and they made sure that they shipped on the same day and arrived on Monday just in time for my appointment on Tuesday. Fortunately, I won't need new rear tires for a while, unless I damage one, so hopefully these supply chain issues have cleared up by then. May need to order some in reserve when they come up again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot 4s tires