Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do when you hit 1K?

 
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
FearlessFarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 CLA45; 2018 C63s
What did you do when you hit 1K?

I've got about 140 miles left to go until I hit the magical 1,000 mile mark on my 2019 C63s. So far, I've been very good about keeping her in comfort mode and under 85 mph and under 45K rpm. Frankly, even within these limits, the car has still been a blast to drive and offered plenty of power (for reference my last car was a 2014 CLA 45).

What did you do when you hit the magic 1000 mile mark? Try out launch control? Go immediately to race mode? Increase your engine load gently and gradually for the next 200 miles?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and maybe taking some suggestions.
FearlessFarris is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 41
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
M3
Originally Posted by FearlessFarris View Post
I've got about 140 miles left to go until I hit the magical 1,000 mile mark on my 2019 C63s. So far, I've been very good about keeping her in comfort mode and under 85 mph and under 45K rpm. Frankly, even within these limits, the car has still been a blast to drive and offered plenty of power (for reference my last car was a 2014 CLA 45).

What did you do when you hit the magic 1000 mile mark? Try out launch control? Go immediately to race mode? Increase your engine load gently and gradually for the next 200 miles?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and maybe taking some suggestions.
I have 180 miles to go then heading off on holiday at the weekend (about 1,000 mile trip). Mineís a 2019S Cabrio. Iím pretty sure Iíll be doing launch mode on my trip. Iíve been patient but now raring to go!
markjord is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63S
I get the whole notion of not running the engine really high and breaking it in over time, but I don't get why it has to be in "comfort" mode all the time. If you keep the revs below 4500 rpm and the speed below 85 mph and avoid steady/constant speeds, what difference does it make if you run it in comfort or sport. And, is there any reason not to adjust the suspension to suit in that first 1,000 miles?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 480
Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
2013 Audi RS5, 2019 C63CS
The main reason to keep it on C, is because other modes could shift in a manner that pushes the rpm above 4500. Yes, you can put the suspension etc. in other modes. I drove around in C with the exhaust open and played with the suspension. No issues. As for the original question, I mainly avoided steady speeds during the first 1000 miles. After picking up the car in Sindelfingen, Germany I headed to Switzerland to visit my folks and avoided the Autobahn for the entire journey. Took 6 hours instead of 3 hours, but it was a very nice drive through the countryside and came up on some nice roads to push it slightly even in C. As OP said, this car wants to play even in C. I was still in Switzerland when I hit the 1000 miles after about a week of driving and I just gradually started to push it. In Switzerland the speed limits are strict and the fines are expensive, but I started to take it on some alpine roads and continued pushing it. A week later I went back to Germany and hit top speed on the Autobahn and the rest is history as they say . I actually have not tried race start in the entire 2 months I was there. 0-60 drag race is not my cup of tea. I'll try it at least once, though, when I'm reunited with the car.
superswiss is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:18 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,010
Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Coupe
AlexZTuned is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63S
I've done the launch control/race start in both my RS5 and Porsches. It's fun as a novelty.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 573
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
The main reason to keep it on C, is because other modes could shift in a manner that pushes the rpm above 4500. Yes, you can put the suspension etc. in other modes. I drove around in C with the exhaust open and played with the suspension. No issues. As for the original question, I mainly avoided steady speeds during the first 1000 miles. After picking up the car in Sindelfingen, Germany I headed to Switzerland to visit my folks and avoided the Autobahn for the entire journey. Took 6 hours instead of 3 hours, but it was a very nice drive through the countryside and came up on some nice roads to push it slightly even in C. As OP said, this car wants to play even in C. I was still in Switzerland when I hit the 1000 miles after about a week of driving and I just gradually started to push it. In Switzerland the speed limits are strict and the fines are expensive, but I started to take it on some alpine roads and continued pushing it. A week later I went back to Germany and hit top speed on the Autobahn and the rest is history as they say . I actually have not tried race start in the entire 2 months I was there. 0-60 drag race is not my cup of tea. I'll try it at least once, though, when I'm reunited with the car.

That is one reason for keeping it in Comfort mode during break-in.

The other is that the 1K mile break-in is for the entire powertrain, not just the engine. Leaving it in Comfort mode makes sure the car is using longer shift speeds and lower shift points, both things that reduce stress on the transmission in particular as well as the entire drivetrain..
msd3075 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 42
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
The main reason to keep it on C, is because other modes could shift in a manner that pushes the rpm above 4500. Yes, you can put the suspension etc. in other modes. I drove around in C with the exhaust open and played with the suspension. No issues. As for the original question, I mainly avoided steady speeds during the first 1000 miles. After picking up the car in Sindelfingen, Germany I headed to Switzerland to visit my folks and avoided the Autobahn for the entire journey. Took 6 hours instead of 3 hours, but it was a very nice drive through the countryside and came up on some nice roads to push it slightly even in C. As OP said, this car wants to play even in C. I was still in Switzerland when I hit the 1000 miles after about a week of driving and I just gradually started to push it. In Switzerland the speed limits are strict and the fines are expensive, but I started to take it on some alpine roads and continued pushing it. A week later I went back to Germany and hit top speed on the Autobahn and the rest is history as they say . I actually have not tried race start in the entire 2 months I was there. 0-60 drag race is not my cup of tea. I'll try it at least once, though, when I'm reunited with the car.
When you tried top speed, did you increase tire pressure?
fjp63amg is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 480
Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
2013 Audi RS5, 2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by fjp63amg View Post
When you tried top speed, did you increase tire pressure?
Yes, and it gets quite harsh with the higher pressures. I later lowered them back down, because it was quite difficult with the traffic to get above 250 kph on a regular basis. It was really only possible to do short stints at those higher speeds, so I wasn't worried about lowering the tire pressure and taking it to or close to top speed for short periods. I also kept the tire pressure/temperature display up, and I could definitely see the temps rising above 250 kph, but then cooled down again at lower speeds even if I was going over 200 kph. Most of the time, the traffic didn't really allow to get above 225-240 very much and at closer to top speed it takes a lot of concentration as the car gets somewhat nervous depending on how smooth the road was. I altered the suspension between C and S+ as well depending on the road. Huge difference in how it turns in at those speeds with the suspension in S+ vs C. Also pretty much kept AMG DYNAMICS in Pro, but I was pretty impressed at how this car travels in relative comfort up to speeds of I would say 240/250 kph. Above that it gets a bit nerve wracking.
superswiss is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM
  #10  
Member
 
cec69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
I used all driving modes as slow speeds from the first ride home from the dealership, careful to not go beyond 4500 rpm. Once 1000 miles rolled around, I pushed it hard, but not to redline. Over the next 500 miles I pushed it harder and at 1500 miles I proceeded to pound the crap out of it. Nothing really brutal, only a couple of standstill to high speed runs, but a lot of letting folks know they were just passed. The car likes to go.
cec69 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 33
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63s
Z
Originally Posted by cec69 View Post
I used all driving modes as slow speeds from the first ride home from the dealership, careful to not go beyond 4500 rpm. Once 1000 miles rolled around, I pushed it hard, but not to redline. Over the next 500 miles I pushed it harder and at 1500 miles I proceeded to pound the crap out of it. Nothing really brutal, only a couple of standstill to high speed runs, but a lot of letting folks know they were just passed. The car likes to go.
Precisely! Did the same, although I donít think I really gave a **** anymore once I hit 1k. Now, 7k miles, Velos tuned with catted downpipes.
W213e63s is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Vader-C63sE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 91
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C63s Edition 1 JB4
After I got my diff fluid changed I drive it like I stole it!
Vader-C63sE1 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 134
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, E63s
Break in is a hoax. I was tuned at 500 miles hitting quarter mile drags and upgraded turbos at 1500 miles. It is just a car no need to baby the damn thing get everything sealed nicely by pushing it hard
KingMonkeyJr is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What did you do when you hit 1K?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: