C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy considering replacing the C63S Coupe with a C8 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2019 | 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The Z51 performance package is also more of a track setup it seems. Probably its biggest downside for an every day car is that the suspension is only manually adjustable similar to the GT-R Pro. That's ideal for setting up the car for specific tracks, but not to quickly adjust the suspension based on driving situation and road conditions when out and about.
Old 07-26-2019 | 02:48 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
I see the corvette as more of a second car.. tough to make it your daily driver especially here in canada
Old 07-26-2019 | 02:50 PM

C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Originally Posted by 4dr.no
If it was me, I'd really need to see the interior before making a decision.
So far, stock photos of interior look nice.

Old 07-26-2019 | 02:51 PM

C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Originally Posted by Drisso88
I thought the exact same thing. Unless AMG comes out with something radically different in the next 3 years, I'll probably pick a C8 up. When I saw it, I was immediately reminded of the 2003 360 Modenas, which was one of my favorite cars visually back in the day
Agree

The following 2 users liked this post by Spazdoc:
Drisso88 (07-29-2019), MBzW205 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019 | 04:09 PM

2014 CLA45; 2019 C63s
Personally, it's not my taste. One of the things I like about the C63s (especially the sedan) is how understated it is. While it's a gorgeous car, it at first glance can still pass for a nice mid-sized luxury car. Then when it starts up and the exhaust growls, the necks start snapping, lol.

The corvette looks great, but it's definitely an attention-seeker.
The following users liked this post:
Wexlax732 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-26-2019 | 06:44 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mrguitar
crazy to *replace*? YES. crazy to *add*? not at all. I liken it to an american version of the Nissan GT-R (when it came out 10+ years ago)...great performance for little money=great value.

a few things to consider, however...
  1. the rear of the C8 vette (i think) looks TERRIBLE. it's a mess. it's overly complex. it's fat and ugly...again, my two cents. front looks great...chevrolet looks like they tried to meld a 458 and NSX together...and failed.
  2. it will be marked up like crazy for the 1st year or two...is it worth it at $100K?
  3. when the price comes back down, EVERYONE and their brother will own one...it will NOT be special nor will it be special to look at. it's like the C7 at launch...was pretty cool to see it when it came out, but now it's everywhere. borrrr-iiiing.
anyway, one person's opinion. would i get one? absolutely, if i could add to the stable...but not to replace whatever my primary car would be...in this case an AMG.
You do realize that what you are saying is that a sub-three second 0-60 will be the new norm. What was once the province of an Super-car will now be pedestrian.
Old 07-26-2019 | 06:57 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by DRGG
You do realize that what you are saying is that a sub-three second 0-60 will be the new norm. What was once the province of an Super-car will now be pedestrian.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying...and I also say that within the context of the "value" performance/sports car market; not people who typically buy camry's and accords, but actual "corvette" people (i.e. people who currently buy corvettes) along with a whole new generation of buyers who can afford a $60K sports car and are smitten by the "sexiness" of a mid-engine car.

So, that is quite a feat for Chevy, actually, to make a sub-3 second sports car for $60K...and, as you say, they have up'd the bar on the 0-60 standard. That performance figure alone will sell this car in droves. Heck, that's why I bought the Nissan GTR so many years ago. They were first to make a sub-3 second car for (then) $70K; even for years after, at $100K, there wasn't a single other car that could go that fast for that money.

Once AMG starts standardizing on AWD cars, coupled with these incredible engines, and 0-60 times start creeping into the low 3's/sub-3's, there will be an entirely new attraction from new buyers (mostly kids/younger people)...for now, we AMG buyers get these cars for entirely other reasons than 0-60 times...my two cents
Old 07-26-2019 | 09:15 PM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
I'm totally smitten with the C8! Here is my current configuration but subject to change once I actually see the car and its colors.​​​​​​​

Old 07-26-2019 | 09:51 PM

C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Originally Posted by MBzW205
Man 0-60 in under 3 seconds in the Z51 performance package and I doubt that will be just $60k... Keep in mind it's also still a chevy, I'd much rather have the refinement of a Mercedes Benz...

This is all hype and the C8 base will become the next mustang -> they'll be everywhere and your grandma will have one.
Refinement? Lol, my C63S rattles like they forgot to put any clips on interior panels to hold them in place. Refinement...
Old 07-27-2019 | 12:35 AM

2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
I was JUST looking at the C8 on YouTube, the official company release. 0-60 in Under 3 seconds and a dual-clutch transmission, WOW!! BEST deal anywhere in the world from a performance/cost ratio, and it looks awesome too. I still have a highly modified 01 C5 with 37K I bought new. So I needed a break and wanted a change in the C63 AMG and it's renewed my excitement, for now. I'd love to actually drive a C8 mid-engined car to see how it feels. The mid-engine aspect is intriguing to everyone for sure, and just think if you MODDED it, or got the Z06? At this point How much faster can you get? Under 3 seconds is insane already! I wonder what it does the 1/4 mile?

The C63 Twin Turbo is unique and has its own character and class, and with a simple tune, it really becomes Fast, but it is a totally different experience. Drive it (that will answer your question after 30 seconds in the car) and if you like it, Get It. You will like the Low to the Ground Rocket Ride of a Vette, and it handles really well, so the C8 should be even Better!

OR, keep BOTH!

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 07-27-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Wexlax732 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-28-2019 | 09:12 PM

2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
Interior is awful. That button stalk looks like a kid designed it. Had two vettes before, one a Z06 which I bought new. It burned a quart of oil every 400 miles GM said it was normal. So the C8 could give me a handy on long trips and I still wouldn't buy it. GM customer service and quality control are horrible in my experience.

J.
Old 07-29-2019 | 12:43 PM

2019 AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
I like the looks of the car and the performance aspects. My only concerns are with the build quality and reliability aspects of the car.
I've owned several Corvettes. I recently traded my 2019 Z06 (plus cash) for an Audi R8. I was not happy with the quality and fit and finish of the Corvette. They look good and run strong but there is no comparison between a U.S. built car and a German car. No comparison in quality nor fit nor finish. Too much plastic. They are relatively inexpensive and super common as I see several each day, however one never sees a C63s nor an Audi R8, at least in my area. Yes they are affordable but in my opinion there are trade-offs. I own two German cars and have owned an M4 in the past. Just my .02

Last edited by TexasEd; 07-29-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Wexlax732 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-29-2019 | 01:46 PM

2019 AMG C63S
After having Misfire issues with my 2019 c63s and not being very satisfied with the exhaust note and seeing the newer cars with MB UX interface, I also thought about lemoning my car (since it's still at the dealer waiting for parts for the past 40 days) but when you compare the quality and service level between the two car makers, I always choose European. The level of service provided by American built cars versus European rivals is not even comparable (at least where I live here in California). Service advisors and staff when you take your car for a simplest service mens a lot to me and when I used to take my American brand car for repairs/service, I'd see very mean and unprofessional people which I for myself couldn't handle at all and made me hate my experience with the car.
Old 07-29-2019 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Looks like if you want one, you'll have to hurry. I just read that the 2020s are almost sold out. Was also surprised to read that the base car comes standard with Michelin all-season run flats. Supposedly a new all-season specifically developed for the C8, but still not something I'd expect from a car like this. Apparently Chevi was persuaded by a large number of customers who want to drive it all year around, but don't want to put winter tires on it. Different crowd I guess
Wexlax732 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-29-2019 | 07:45 PM

2019 AMG C63 Sedan (Gone and wont be missed)
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh
After having Misfire issues with my 2019 c63s and not being very satisfied with the exhaust note and seeing the newer cars with MB UX interface, I also thought about lemoning my car (since it's still at the dealer waiting for parts for the past 40 days) but when you compare the quality and service level between the two car makers, I always choose European. The level of service provided by American built cars versus European rivals is not even comparable (at least where I live here in California). Service advisors and staff when you take your car for a simplest service mens a lot to me and when I used to take my American brand car for repairs/service, I'd see very mean and unprofessional people which I for myself couldn't handle at all and made me hate my experience with the car.
Your experience underscores car ownership. Everyone has different experiences and different cars have different issues. I’m not at all impressed with my specific MB dealership’s service department. They were so professional that they took my car for at least an 85mph sprint when I took it in due to the shut off issue I had. You seem to be OK with the time it’s taking to get your car fixed (not OK but handling it) and that’s cool for you. I just don’t think you can generalize the whole German brand versus American brand thing. There are great and crappy dealers on both sides.

My first experience with MB certainly doesn’t make me want another one.
Old 07-29-2019 | 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
Looks like if you want one, you'll have to hurry. I just read that the 2020s are almost sold out. Was also surprised to read that the base car comes standard with Michelin all-season run flats. Supposedly a new all-season specifically developed for the C8, but still not something I'd expect from a car like this. Apparently Chevi was persuaded by a large number of customers who want to drive it all year around, but don't want to put winter tires on it. Different crowd I guess
Chevy and Michelin are promising 1.0G of lateral grip with these tires.
Old 07-29-2019 | 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by boosteddub69
Chevy and Michelin are promising 1.0G of lateral grip with these tires.
Yes, I'm aware. They've yet to reach that goal, though. They are expecting it will do 1.05g with the PS4S. I was more getting at the run flat part.
Old 07-29-2019 | 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, I'm aware. They've yet to reach that goal, though. They are expecting it will do 1.05g with the PS4S. I was more getting at the run flat part.
Ah, I didn’t see that as your point.
Old 07-30-2019 | 12:10 AM

2019 C43 AMG COUPE
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Similar to C63-S, the C8 Stingray is one of the best value performance cars. Need 3-4 seats so I'll be keeping the luxurious and classy AMG. But C8 is definitely next on the list.

Old 07-30-2019 | 01:48 AM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by boosteddub69
Your experience underscores car ownership. Everyone has different experiences and different cars have different issues. I’m not at all impressed with my specific MB dealership’s service department. They were so professional that they took my car for at least an 85mph sprint when I took it in due to the shut off issue I had. You seem to be OK with the time it’s taking to get your car fixed (not OK but handling it) and that’s cool for you. I just don’t think you can generalize the whole German brand versus American brand thing. There are great and crappy dealers on both sides.

My first experience with MB certainly doesn’t make me want another one.
Agreed. As I've mentioned "at least where I live in California" and having owned several European brands as well as American rivals, the level of service is completely different as they fall into different classes. For example, a Ferrari dealership experience will never be the same as Mercedes or Audi dealership; even customers visiting are fall under a completely different class/crowd.
Old 07-30-2019 | 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by B3NS_C63s_AMG
Another thing people forget, when you buy a $60K corvette you're going to get the same treatment from crappy Chevy dealers as the guys buying a Chevy cruze for $18K.
The following 3 users liked this post by raudiace4:
asc (07-31-2019), B3NS_C63s_AMG (07-30-2019), Wexlax732 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-30-2019 | 10:39 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by raudiace4
Another thing people forget, when you buy a $60K corvette you're going to get the same treatment from crappy Chevy dealers as the guys buying a Chevy cruze for $18K.
Old 07-31-2019 | 08:50 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by raudiace4
Sad but true. They really should have some kind of dedicated service for Corvette buyers. Even Hyundai has figured this out for the Genesis line...
raudiace4 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by asc
Sad but true. They really should have some kind of dedicated service for Corvette buyers. Even Hyundai has figured this out for the Genesis line...
They do have certified Corvette dealerships that have dedicated techs and tools for servicing - not all Chevy dealers are Vette certified, so obviously you’d need one within reasonable distance for servicing.

Don't forgot when the CLA came out, that thing was like 22k MSRP. There are pretty cheap Benz too...
Old 07-31-2019 | 09:30 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
They do have certified Corvette dealerships that have dedicated techs and tools for servicing - not all Chevy dealers are Vette certified, so obviously you’d need one within reasonable distance for servicing.

Don't forgot when the CLA came out, that thing was like 22k MSRP. There are pretty cheap Benz too...
True, but if you buy a CLA, you still get the same MB service/quality (in theory). The LCD is higher at MB (again in theory) than at Chevy. But YMMV of course, depending on what dealership you go to. And I didn't know there were dedicated Corvette dealers. That's obviously ideal if you have one available.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy considering replacing the C63S Coupe with a C8 Corvette?