C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy considering replacing the C63S Coupe with a C8 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2019 | 10:12 AM

2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I'm less interested in the C8 itself than I am in the response from the other manufacturers. If someone is looking for outright performance, it's hard to justify much else... the base 911 is now $40k more than a Corvette. Even the base Cayman is barely cheaper than the Corvette.

The drawbacks to such accessible performance are 1) every Mustang bro with a decent job is going to have one in a few years, so expect to see them a lot, especially considering how many C7s you see on the road... and 2) Chevy had to cut corners somewhere to keep the price at $60k and also package in a new dual-clutch transmission. Every new Corvette promises to be a game changer and up until the C7 (and including the C7 in some aspects), they still had the same basic build quality as a car that cost a third of the price.

As for the OP's question, I don't think you are crazy, the C8 looks like a pretty cool car... super car looks and performance for sure.
The following users liked this post:
asc (07-31-2019)
Old 08-01-2019 | 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
I'm less interested in the C8 itself than I am in the response from the other manufacturers. If someone is looking for outright performance, it's hard to justify much else... the base 911 is now $40k more than a Corvette. Even the base Cayman is barely cheaper than the Corvette.

The drawbacks to such accessible performance are 1) every Mustang bro with a decent job is going to have one in a few years, so expect to see them a lot, especially considering how many C7s you see on the road... and 2) Chevy had to cut corners somewhere to keep the price at $60k and also package in a new dual-clutch transmission. Every new Corvette promises to be a game changer and up until the C7 (and including the C7 in some aspects), they still had the same basic build quality as a car that cost a third of the price.

As for the OP's question, I don't think you are crazy, the C8 looks like a pretty cool car... super car looks and performance for sure.
That's exactly why the C8 is exciting. It's going to force other MFRs to step up their game, just like the R35 did to the industry in 2009.
Good time to be a car enthusiast.
Old 08-01-2019 | 10:25 AM

C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Originally Posted by asc
Sad but true. They really should have some kind of dedicated service for Corvette buyers. Even Hyundai has figured this out for the Genesis line...
I thought that Genesis evolved from being a single model to being a separate line, kind of like Acura and Lexus from Honda and Toyota. Is Hyundai offering a separate dealership, or a special line (like Hilton or Hertz Gold)?

Honestly, I do not know - I stay far away from Hyundai. There are a lot of S-classes in my area, and it was obvious who Hyundai blatantly copied when you see them next to a Merc.
Old 08-01-2019 | 02:43 PM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by superswiss
The Z51 performance package is also more of a track setup it seems. Probably its biggest downside for an every day car is that the suspension is only manually adjustable similar to the GT-R Pro. That's ideal for setting up the car for specific tracks, but not to quickly adjust the suspension based on driving situation and road conditions when out and about.
I don't understand what you mean by 'manual adjustment' because the car has various driving modes from touring to race, and each changes the suspension accordingly.

Also, Magnetic Ride Control is an available option with the Z51 package and it adjusts in 1/10th of a second to road conditions. This system was created by Delphi for the Cadillac and is now used on cars like La Ferrari.
Old 08-01-2019 | 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by C6Jeff
I don't understand what you mean by 'manual adjustment' because the car has various driving modes from touring to race, and each changes the suspension accordingly.

Also, Magnetic Ride Control is an available option with the Z51 package and it adjusts in 1/10th of a second to road conditions. This system was created by Delphi for the Cadillac and is now used on cars like La Ferrari.
By 'manual adjustment' I mean turning knobs on the dampers themselves to adjust the desired compression and rebound rate for each of the four corners. My understanding is that with the Z51 the suspension doesn't adjust automatically when you change driving mode, instead you have to do it physically with the knobs on the dampers. Basically allows much more fine control for specific tracks. I haven't looked at the options in detail, but if the magnetic ride control is available as an option with the Z51 package, that would mean you can forgo the manually adjustable suspension of the Z51 package and replace it with the active MAG ride suspension.
Old 07-22-2020 | 01:50 PM

E class
Originally Posted by Klinh
You got my vote!! I personally think better looking then the C63s more on the exotic looking side.
it's not even close
the new C8 is amazing looking and a rocket off the line 2.6-2.8
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:45 PM

2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
I wouldn't even buy one right now because of the dealers overpricing them due to high demand
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:56 PM

E class
Originally Posted by C3504matic
I wouldn't even buy one right now because of the dealers overpricing them due to high demand
market is the market and buyers are paying
the price was to cheap to begin with lol 60k base and 80k loaded
Old 07-22-2020 | 03:00 PM

2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
The a typical salesman point of view . GM delivers the car with a suggested list price , dealers have been marking them up $30-40 grand over suggested . I worked for a dealer years ago and when the new vehicles were being unloaded off the truck we would remove the suggested retail off the door glass and then reprint an exact duplicate of the sticker but marked up thousands and put it back on ..... this was on every single vehicle we received

Originally Posted by Fly by night
market is the market and buyers are paying
the price was to cheap to begin with lol
Old 07-22-2020 | 07:11 PM

2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
I had one on pre order and was guaranteed one of the first batches. I ended up cancelling and bought the C63. My reasoning was that I wanted to wait for Z06. Rumor mill has it that it’s going to be over 600 hp, NA and flat plane crank.

Edit- Guaranteed MSRP deal also.
OrientBlue3 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 02:07 AM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Well, you asked for our opinions so here we go................

I used to be a Huge Corvette fan until we bought our first Mercedes. It was an 2006 SLK55 AMG R171 and I was driving a 2015 C6 Z06. The more I drove my wife's SLK55 AMG the less I liked the Z06 and ended up selling it. We have only owned Mercedes since then and will never go back.

Personally I love the quality of the build and feel of a Mercedes and the Corvette, no matter how much they try, is still just a Chevy or GM product. The Corvette is a good bang for the buck performance for price especially if you buy it used but it all depends on what is important to you.

I will never buy another Corvette after owning 3 of them, they are at the end of the day just a cheap performance car that they try to sell as a high end sports car with a lower price tag.

I just purchased a 2020 C63S Coupe that is very highly optioned and the sticker price was just over $91,000. A 2020 C8 Corvette fully optioned the way I would build one is about $94,000. Very close in price but to me there is no comparison between the two, I would take the AMG any day over a Corvette.

But that is of course just my opinion and a lot of people may feel differently about it. What it comes down to is what will you be happy with? It is your money and don't let anyone else try to tell you how to spend it

If you really want a new Corvette and that will make you happy then Go For It!! Good luck
OrientBlue3 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:15 AM

E class
Originally Posted by C3504matic
The a typical salesman point of view . GM delivers the car with a suggested list price , dealers have been marking them up $30-40 grand over suggested . I worked for a dealer years ago and when the new vehicles were being unloaded off the truck we would remove the suggested retail off the door glass and then reprint an exact duplicate of the sticker but marked up thousands and put it back on ..... this was on every single vehicle we received
typical salesman point of view? lol
it's the new hot thing first ever mid engine vette that looks like a ferrari/mclaren cross

Mark ups happen all the time on new HOT vehicles mclaren does it- mercedes does it with AMG- new releases - Ferrari does it
get a grip man and i'm not in sales !
have never owned a vette but have exotic weekend toys in the garage. i'm actually tempted to add one having driven in one on the track a few months back during a charity event. i was very surprised how nice the car was.
i give GM props on this one

Last edited by Fly by night; 07-23-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:40 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
Wouldnt want to pay mark up on a corvette, especially one that isnt even a Z06. The road is gonna get littered with these corvettes everywhere soon
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:44 AM

2017 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty hyped for the C8 Corvette. I've been planning on getting into a 991.2 Porsche after my 17' C63S Coupe warranty is up towards the end of 2021 (likely even earlier). There aren't many other cars out there that I'd want to replace the C63S Coupe with, but I've always wanted a rear or mid-engine car - the 718 has always been interesting (though the engine is a deal breaker to me), and the 991.2 is fantastic but I would buy used with not much (if any) existing warranty.

I don't like the Vette stigma, but I think this may be the one that breaks it. Of course I'm also waiting to see what the W206 C63 becomes with 4Matic+, drift mode, etc... but with all the extra bells and whistles, I think we'll be seeing pricing in the low-$80k range before adding options. With a base C8 starting at $59k, a nicely optioned Z51 package C8 would probably come in at mid to high $70k. I'm also honestly a bit surprised by how practical the C8 is with the (relatively) large front and rear storage, despite packing a mid-engine LT V8 - way more practical than a mid-engine 718 (and rear engine 911 too, if you don't count the backseats for volume).

Am I crazy for considering this car as a C63S replacement? Am I the only one?
I briefly considered selling my 2017 C63S AMG sedan. Briefly. This was in mid 2018 when the aftermarket scene was expensive, disjointed and a lot more opaque than it is now. Our cars would throw up big dyno numbers but we were coming up short on the track/street. People were making/selling ECU relo kits due to the necessity to bench flash/buy another ECU and flashing to stock for dealership visits. The only other viable option was a piggyback from one reputable company and several other sketchy companies.

Fast forward to now, TCU tunes are widely available and proven to be a NECESSITY before even considering an ECU tune. ECU tunes are available via remote flash! Full subframe mounts are available at an unbelievably good price (I ordered the ENTIRE set consisting of front subframe sides, front subframe, front towers, mid car mount & rear end). Intakes with real R&D are available, CF bits and pieces for reasonable prices, the list goes on.

Im happy af that I kept this car. I’m the guy who at the ripe age of 30 has had over 40 cars. I don’t drive anything for longer than 6-8 months normally. I fell in love with my C63s and paid it off. Now I can go full blown race car on a vehicle I hold the title for and not worry about modding/driving/enjoying her.

Ps, you own the last of the “technologically unfettered” C63S AMG’s. What this means: you won’t have to buy a new cpcng to unlock the TCU. The TCU mod is a game changer. In my opinion, the single most important and TRANSPARENT mod that you can perform that will allow the vehicle to perform as it was intended to. People with 2018+ AMG vehicles will have to pay 3-4x more $$$ than us to get the same result due to AMG adding more components to the TCU/ECU loop.

Last edited by Wexlax732; 07-23-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:27 PM

2016 C63S
Dont think that is a stupid idea at all! The new C8 is getting pretty much solid very positive reviews and other than a few niggles, it seems to be a VERY good car. It does the 'corvette' thing very well. I heard a phrase that sums it up well - Corvette has always been about 'democratizing performance for the masses'. Its a mid-engined car that drives well and offers performance from the class one or two levels above that. What is not to like?

I did see a video from Throttle House the other day running a new C8 against the AMG GT63S and the C8 stands up extremely well considering its 2WD and nearly double the price! Ok, so its not the same thing, but gives a clear illustration of the performance that it provides:

A few comments that I have heard though - headroom isnt great and while the interior is a step above previous generations, its still not at a high premium level yet. And personally I would be cautious about first gen anything. It seems to be very well engineered, but the engine is a new derivative and the gearbox is new. Chances are its going to be fine, but might be worth waiting until the 2021 model year so that issues are ironed out. But thats me, and you can ignore me!

What would I do? I would look long and hard though. If the car fits your lifestyle (2 seater), why the hell not!
Old 07-24-2020 | 10:24 AM

2017 AMG GT
AlexZTuned, You're not crazy at all. I had a C7 Z06 and it was a great car. Rock solid and honestly, too much power for rear wheel drive. At first I too wondered about the stigma, but after your first day of driving and all the thumbs up you get, you see that that stigma is going away fast. I love the sound of my AMG, but the Corvette sounds glorious too. My only complaint about Corvettes is the interior. The C7 had the best interior but was still years behind a Mercedes. The C8 has changed that dramatically, but we'll have to see how they hold up. I actually placed a deposit on the C8 before they even announced pricing. Was scheduled in the first build but they had the strike, then other delays, then Covid-19 so I got my money back and went back into an AMG for the next few years. Like someone else posted, it may be worth waiting for the Z06 model. What about finding a used AMG Gt and drive it until the Z06 comes out?
Old 07-24-2020 | 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Swagg3r
AlexZTuned, You're not crazy at all. I had a C7 Z06 and it was a great car. Rock solid and honestly, too much power for rear wheel drive. At first I too wondered about the stigma, but after your first day of driving and all the thumbs up you get, you see that that stigma is going away fast. I love the sound of my AMG, but the Corvette sounds glorious too. My only complaint about Corvettes is the interior. The C7 had the best interior but was still years behind a Mercedes. The C8 has changed that dramatically, but we'll have to see how they hold up. I actually placed a deposit on the C8 before they even announced pricing. Was scheduled in the first build but they had the strike, then other delays, then Covid-19 so I got my money back and went back into an AMG for the next few years. Like someone else posted, it may be worth waiting for the Z06 model. What about finding a used AMG Gt and drive it until the Z06 comes out?
It’s been almost exactly 1 year since I originally posted this thread, and I’ve nixed the idea of a base C8.

I do think the Z06 is going to be the gem in the C8 line up with the NA FPC V8 and would be worth waiting for over a base.

However, with the breakthroughs I’ve seen on the 991.2 platform by APR the last few
weeks, I’ve all but decided that’s my next vehicle. There’s no better value/platform in my opinion than a base 991.2 with an APR tune. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a C4 so there’s minimal traction issues off the line.
Old 07-26-2020 | 12:16 PM

E class
Originally Posted by offagain
Dont think that is a stupid idea at all! The new C8 is getting pretty much solid very positive reviews and other than a few niggles, it seems to be a VERY good car. It does the 'corvette' thing very well. I heard a phrase that sums it up well - Corvette has always been about 'democratizing performance for the masses'. Its a mid-engined car that drives well and offers performance from the class one or two levels above that. What is not to like?

I did see a video from Throttle House the other day running a new C8 against the AMG GT63S and the C8 stands up extremely well considering its 2WD and nearly double the price! Ok, so its not the same thing, but gives a clear illustration of the performance that it provides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFUu71dMpqA

A few comments that I have heard though - headroom isnt great and while the interior is a step above previous generations, its still not at a high premium level yet. And personally I would be cautious about first gen anything. It seems to be very well engineered, but the engine is a new derivative and the gearbox is new. Chances are its going to be fine, but might be worth waiting until the 2021 model year so that issues are ironed out. But thats me, and you can ignore me!

What would I do? I would look long and hard though. If the car fits your lifestyle (2 seater), why the hell not!
the interior on the 2020 c8 vette is better than my sl600 or my 430
i was surprised how nice it was

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...e-c8-corvette/