Sponsored by:

Creaking Passenger Door Seals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Creaking Passenger Door Seals

Has anyone else battled door seals that are noisy? My front passenger door makes a TON of noise. The foreman determined that when the door is closed, it’s noisy. Even on a flat surface, under the SLIGHTEST acceleration that causes an insignificant amount of chassis movement. I’m talking 2mph to 3mph causes creaking. When it’s even just slightly ajar, silent as the grave.

They got it back to me a few days later and said that I can’t use any products on it. Mercedes told them I need to use an alcohol based cleaner on the rubber door seals. I’m amazed by this. If I wanted to keep this car, I would NEVER use alocohol on rubber seals - what a great way to dry them out and make them prematurely fail! They did this, and it was silent for a week. Then without touching the seals, it went back to noisy.

I’ve been really disappointed in some of the little things in this car. I’ve also been told I can’t use any product that causes water to bead on the windshield, because the wipers skip horribly if so. I’m not sure if you’ve ever driven around with a windshield that DOESN’T bead water, but holy crap it’s hard to see out of even with the wipers on high. Water just explodes into the windshield and blues everything.

It’s going back in to the shop tomorrow because I refuse to accept that this door seal issue is normal. Something isn’t right. They’ve replaced the seals once already.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n
Having both my front door seals replaced right now. Hope it does the trick because that creaking is hard to block out, especially coming in and out of driveways.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrv9292
Having both my front door seals replaced right now. Hope it does the trick because that creaking is hard to block out, especially coming in and out of driveways.
I hope it does for you, because it didn’t for me.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
amg C63s
How about rubbing a silicone grease into the seals? I don't undrstand why Mercedes would object to this. It preserves and nourishes the seals as well as stopping the creaking.
The following users liked this post:
optimusprime m1 (10-10-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mstraka
How about rubbing a silicone grease into the seals? I don't undrstand why Mercedes would object to this. It preserves and nourishes the seals as well as stopping the creaking.
I’ve tried it. It just keeps coming back after only a couple weeks.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Just rode around with them again. We can crack the passenger window and the sound goes away on that action too.

sigh.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63s
I've always had success with Gummipfleger.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Found a permanent solution to the "battleship" creaks by using 3M Squeak Reduction Tape (1" wide) on the door channel, and Mercedes sliding compound on the flecked portion of the rubber seals (as well as the rubber seals on the pano roof) - finally glorious silence, even with the windows rolled up...

Some pics of where I applied the tape.
https://imgur.com/a/gLut9hG
The following 2 users liked this post by DylanM:
KAHBOOM (09-03-2019), velosdesignwerks (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DylanM
Found a permanent solution to the "battleship" creaks by using 3M Squeak Reduction Tape (1" wide) on the door channel, and Mercedes sliding compound on the flecked portion of the rubber seals (as well as the rubber seals on the pano roof) - finally glorious silence, even with the windows rolled up...

That is a legit solution. Crazy you had to get to that level. Shame on Mercedes. I’ll check it out depending on what Mercedes tells the dealership.

is it clear? Does it hold up pretty well? You applied it to the painted surfaces in the door arches? Is the Mercedes sliding compound a silicone type grease?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Agreed - got a bit tired of the runaround as well and decided to do a bit more digging into a solution (came across this on the BMW M forums who had similar issues with door creaking).

The tape is clear, and it goes on the painted surface of the arches - I ran one continuous strip on either side (you can see a bit of it in the first pic). I prepped the surface with an alcohol wipe and heated the tape with a dryer as I applied it (to ensure there were no bubbles) and it's been holding up great.

The Mercedes Sliding Compound is actually a clear liquid made to permanently lubricate rubber and seals (it's rebranded Krytox from the aerospace industry). It is quite runny, so wear gloves!

Hope this helps...
KAHBOOM (09-03-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 07:36 PM

Agreed - got a bit tired of the runaround as well and decided to do a bit more digging into a solution (came across this on the BMW M forums who had similar issues with door creaking).

The tape is clear, and it goes on the painted surface of the arches - I ran one continuous strip on either side (you can see a bit of it in the first pic). I prepped the surface with an alcohol wipe and heated the tape with a dryer as I applied it (to ensure there were no bubbles) and it's been holding up great.

The Mercedes Sliding Compound is actually a clear liquid made to permanently lubricate rubber and seals (it's rebranded Krytox from the aerospace industry). It is quite runny, so wear gloves!

Hope this helps...
Interesting since apparently Mercedes said nothing can go on the seals. I’ll ask the dealer. I never understood how a large manufacturer has issues like these!
Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
We used the same lubricant on other seal parts, like sunroof seals. The Krytox works very well but I believe, based on how randomly I saw the cars with creaking, it has something to do with environmental exposure. I'm one of those people who would find it absolutely infuriating in my own car, and I rarely noticed it in customer cars. The ones that had it, it was very bad though.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 PM

OK, update! And hopefully not jinxing it...

Dealer found a replacement part for the door seals that they say Mercedes says is specifically designed to address and fix this issue of creaking.

They replaced mine late last week. Normally even after 1 to 2 days, it would start creaking. Then a wash would just kill it and it would make so much noise.

However, a week has gone by and not a peep. I even did a wash and complete detail on Sunday morning, and still nothing. I’m optimistic this resolved the issue. Will post part number as soon as I get near the paperwork again.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Silicon spray and do inside window channel and all rubber seals on your car doors . I use it for evertything made of rubber that goes for under the car on all the rubber busing h and the gaiters .This stops them going hard and spliting ,
Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Please post reply for part number as any silicon or lube just gets on the seals and belt moldings inside the door and when you roll up and down the streaks begin to appear.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Take you car along to the dealers and talk to someone there about this problem your having . Silicon will get on your window but you can clean it off after once rubber is coated .Silicon in a spray tin is comon on ebay ,.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
S205 C63s
Used this stuff, worked a treat, no more noises.
DylanM (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 11:43 PM

Last edited by JWreck; 10-11-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:44 PM

It’s been a week and after a full wash, lots of rain and humidity there’s still no creaks. Here’s an image of the work order for the new door seals. Highly recommend you bug your dealers to get these on if you’re having this problem.

DylanM (10-12-2019)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is

Holy cow! This tape isn't cheap at $27 for a small roll!

Amazon Amazon

But that white lightning krytox weather stripping lubricant isn't cheap either at $41...

Amazon Amazon