Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking in the rear when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2019 | 04:05 AM

C63S Edition 1
Creaking in the rear when going over bumps

I have a 2017 C63S Edition 1 Coupe, I can't recall any creaks happening until after I got tints done.

I get creaks when I go over speed bumps or pulling into drive ways, it is most evident at low speeds and on an angle. I feel as though it might be the chassis twisting and the rubber seals for the rear windshield or windows rubbing on the glass? I'm not sure if this is a thing, it's going in for a service soon and will get MB to look at it then but will help if I can narrow it down here.
Old 09-05-2019 | 05:26 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
I bet it's the pano roof on the seal. Crack your pano roof so it's just vented up an inch or however high it sits and see if you notice if after.
Old 09-05-2019 | 09:56 AM

C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
I bet it's the pano roof on the seal. Crack your pano roof so it's just vented up an inch or however high it sits and see if you notice if after.
I think it is. Didn’t hear the creaking as I pulled into my drive way, will see if it does it on the way out tomorrow.

But now my left side door or something is creaking like crazy, might need all the seals lubed up haha
Old 09-05-2019 | 03:15 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
My car only has 18k KM and I noticed the roof does the same from time to time. I always have it cracked unless its raining and it (obviously) doesn't do it then.
Old 09-07-2019 | 10:57 AM

C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
My car only has 18k KM and I noticed the roof does the same from time to time. I always have it cracked unless its raining and it (obviously) doesn't do it then.
Had a temporary fix done when it was in for a service. They took off the pano roof and all the seals and lubed them up. They said that usually when this happens they replace all the seals and it fixes the problem so it's all been ordered and awaiting arrival from Germany.
Old 09-07-2019 | 01:22 PM

C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
This car creaks. Check my thread on the door seal creaks. I mention how to determine that it’s the door seals, and there was a good suggestion on a DIY fix.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...oor-seals.html
Old 09-08-2019 | 07:39 AM

C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by JWreck
This car creaks. Check my thread on the door seal creaks. I mention how to determine that it’s the door seals, and there was a good suggestion on a DIY fix.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...oor-seals.html
Did you try the tape at all? Quite pricey for just a little bit of it, on the coupes we don't have the paint surface that his image suggests we use the tape on.
Old 09-08-2019 | 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ciphoric
Did you try the tape at all? Quite pricey for just a little bit of it, on the coupes we don't have the paint surface that his image suggests we use the tape on.
Not yet. I bought the tape and it will be here Monday, but the car just came back from the dealer where they replaced the door seal that was causing it. This was the second replacement, which is why I felt comfortable enough to go ahead and buy the tape in anticipation of needing it.

I am able to clean the seals with a 50/50 mix of alcohol to make it go away for a period of time, but let’s be honest - cleaning rubber door seals is a sure way to have issues later down the line.
Old 09-08-2019 | 09:31 AM

C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by JWreck
Not yet. I bought the tape and it will be here Monday, but the car just came back from the dealer where they replaced the door seal that was causing it. This was the second replacement, which is why I felt comfortable enough to go ahead and buy the tape in anticipation of needing it.

I am able to clean the seals with a 50/50 mix of alcohol to make it go away for a period of time, but let’s be honest - cleaning rubber door seals is a sure way to have issues later down the line.
I've ordered it as well, will find somewhere to put the tape. My seals on the body side (not the door) are rough to touch. Service advisor said it was normal. Also said that they could try to the creaking by sanding down the seals and then lubing it. I what they meant by sanding it down and they said it was to get rid of the dirt and debris so the lube would stay on it.
Old 09-08-2019 | 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ciphoric
I've ordered it as well, will find somewhere to put the tape. My seals on the body side (not the door) are rough to touch. Service advisor said it was normal. Also said that they could try to the creaking by sanding down the seals and then lubing it. I what they meant by sanding it down and they said it was to get rid of the dirt and debris so the lube would stay on it.
Yep this is the first car I’ve had that has textured door seals.
Old 09-14-2019 | 02:03 AM

2019 AMG C63S
I'm hearing mild creaking when both driving on streets and driving on freeways. Based on the direction of the sound, I think it's the sunroof but I have not been able to confirm for sure. Slightly cracking open the roof doesn't eliminate the sound. When I fully open the roof, it is usually loud when driving on the highway which masks this sound. I guess I could try on some low speed streets instead.

Any easy way to identify whether it's the roof or one of the door seals? Other than taking it to the dealer (which I think I'm trying not to do if possible), what are solutions that are safe and doesn't damage the seals in the long run?

Last edited by Tuxdude; 09-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2019 | 08:33 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
I'm hearing mild creaking when both driving on streets and driving on freeways. Based on the direction of the sound, I think it's the sunroof but I have not been able to confirm for sure. Slightly cracking open the roof doesn't eliminate the sound. When I fully open the roof, it is usually loud when driving on the highway which masks this sound. I guess I could try on some low speed streets instead.

Any easy way to identify whether it's the roof or one of the door seals? Other than taking it to the dealer (which I think I'm trying not to do if possible), what are solutions that are safe and doesn't damage the seals in the long run?
best solution is a loud exhaust to mask all the creaking
Old 09-15-2019 | 02:31 AM

2019 AMG C63S
I was washing my car (by myself) for the first time and realized how flimsy the black trim (around the sunroof) is. I was thinking it's metal, but it looks to be same composite/plastic material as the bumpers. And if you push a little hard down, it bends easily. Not sure if it's designed this way for weight savings or cost savings (or may be both).

Could this also be responsible for the rattling/creaking ?
Old 09-17-2019 | 11:45 PM

2019 AMG C63S
I gave my car a good and thorough wash over the weekend. I made sure to clean the roof, the seals thoroughly. I took a drive after that yesterday and I could not hear any creaking.

It's either some placebo effect or some temporary fix at this point - LoL. I'm sure the creaking will be back by the end of the week.
Old 10-02-2019 | 10:23 PM

2019 AMG C63S
I have correlated the creaking to the suspension settings. Leaving the suspension in Comfort mode disables the rattles, whereas with Sport or Sport+ I can hear the creaking/rattling. It looks like it's coming from the pano roof.