Sponsored by:

Ordered G2 Red Caliper Paint for 2017 C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 01:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
Ordered G2 Red Caliper Paint for 2017 C63 AMG

Have a 2017 C63, Black in Black with Tinted Windows. I’ve changed the Center Caps to some Black Ones.

It needs some contrast and I think Painting the Calipers will really POP on the car and give it more character.

I briefly considered Blue or Yellow, but I’m playing it safe with Red.

I have a BendPack 4-Post Lift so that’s helpful. I’d love to take the calipers off the car and bring them to get painted or powder coated, but I’m scared to mess with bleeding brakes and unlocking the pistons, etc. I’m not a brake guy.

Read several posts and I decided on G2 Red Paint. I used this same stuff on my Vette 15+ years ago. If you are carful and take your time they can look Great!

1. Not sure if the Current AMG on caliper is a label or painted on? After I clean Caliper Do I Paint over the silver “AMG” LOGO, Remove, IF it’s a label, or sand it off?

2. I need to go look at eBay and find a Good Set of Black AMG Vinyl Stickers to add after paint.

3. After the paintings complete, and Lavels applied, plan to hit calipers with a few coats of Clear Coat.

4. My lift has an air jack, but I need to buy some Jack Stands to get it in the air on the lift.

5. I’m in Texas but it’s getting colder now. I heard it’s best to apply when it’s a little warmer out so paint can dry between coats. Plan I’m doing 3 and Maybe 4 If needed.

6. Wish me Luck. I figure if I really mess things up (which I won’t) I can always get it fixed.

7. I’ll post pictures when I’m done. I read posts and watched YouTube Videos, but I’ll still take Any Advice.

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 10-25-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM

From Looking at MY Pictures of MY Stock Wheel, Do you guys think I need 10% or 20% Curved?????????????

Old 10-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by TexasBenzBandit
From Looking at MY Pictures of MY Stock Wheel, Do you guys think I need 10% or 20% Curved?????????????

I think 20% looks good.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
C63S
Mine are 20. Go with 20.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
If you have the funds, I'd go with them professionally powder coated. This gets the ENTIRE caliper done. It would last a hellofa lot longer than caliper spray paint. I know. I did this on a few cars over the years. The paint lasts only a few months and then you start all over again. And NEVER use cold water to wash hot calipers. The clear coat will peel off on the stock calipers.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:14 PM

Seis-Tres: Thanks and Love the Yellow, I was thinking about Yellow, but I was chicken. 20% I figured out is perfect on Front, Thanks! I measured from left to right. Fronts are 5" and rears are 4". The REAR Caliper Sticker is Straight. I could go 10% Curved on rears, but will likely just keep it Straight. On eBay you can get 8 AMG Labels in Any Size. Going to get (4) of the 20% Curved 5 " in case I mess up. The REAR I will get (2) 4" Straight (Similar or the same as what is on there now) and MAY buy (2) of the 4" 10% Curved just to see how that looks on Rear

Bruce: I would LOVE to get them Powder Coated or even professionally painted. That would be my #1 choice. However, I am not sure I can take the calipers off, and unhook everything, bleed the brakes, etc. I think you have to do something to Allow the Pistons to Open or Close? I was reading about it, so there is much more involved. I HAVE a Lift and could leave the car there a week as I have another car. I know a great mechanic who worked at NTB for 30 Years and done things on the side for me, but not sure he knows Mercedes. I THOUGHT about having the Car on Jack-stands on the Lift, Wheels Off, and ready to go and have him come over to take the 4 Calipers Off and plug the lines or whatever you do? Then send them out for Coating, and have him put them back on and bleed the brakes, etc?

The G2 I did on my vette. I didn't take my time and they still came out pretty good and they are still holding up 15 years later, but the car has 38,000, so it doesn't get driven much. The painting just seems easy and G2 gives a Nice Result when it dries and hardens with no brush strokes visible. WORST Case, I mess it all up, then I can always take them off and get them Power Coated or Professionally Painted. I just need some POP, and the RED should give it to me. I don't think anyone would go up 1 inch from the Caliper and inspect it, so I think the G2 would be fine assuming I did a good job prepping and applying.

You ARE making me THINK (reconsider a little) I'd love to have a Pro Do them (Powder or Paint and Powder I guess is the Best?). If I can get those things Off and Back On and have the brakes actually work, it would be great to have them off the car. I just worry about messing with the brakes. There are several Powder Coating Places in Dallas, assuming I took that route.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:22 AM

I AM Considering Powder Coating my Calipers? That is what I always Wanted to Do, but the hassle of removing/reinstalling Calipers correctly without breaking anything ran me off from myself.

I am starting to Really Think About and Take my Own Plan Above, Get the Mechanic I know to come over to my house to Remove/Re-install My Calipers. He works at NTB for last 27 Years and knows his stuff, but isn't a MB Expert. I'm sure he could take On/Off 4 Calipers. He would charge me next to nothing, I'd have to force him to take a fair wage at times. If I had car in the air on Stands with the wheels already off, it should make His Job Easier and Cheaper.

I found a WELL KNOWN, Reputable Place in the Dallas Area Unit-14 with Lots of GREAT Reviews and they Offer Many Services, including Taking Off, Storing Car, Re-Installing, but it's a FAIR Price, but too much for me when I can bring them in and pay a mechanic I know to remove and re-install.

The Place: https://unitf14.com/brakes/

1. Disassembled Bring Calipers to Them.

Starting at $125/pair
  • Media Blasting
  • Masking
  • Powder Coating
  • Add on’s include: Clear coat, vinyls , stenciled logos, and hardware coating.

2. Full Service (Cool They Offer This!)

Starting at $1,000

• Vehicle Storage
  • Inspection of Seals and Pistons
  • Remove and Replace Calipers
  • Bleeding the Brake System
  • Disassembly and Assembly
  • Media Blasting
  • Masking
  • Powder Coating
Old 10-26-2019, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems very expensive. There's a place in Houston that charged $72.50 per caliper (3 years ago...). I believe they do it all for that price. I was thinking at ~$300 for the Macan it was quite a deal. They had several calipers of different colors on display and had two cars in the shop they were working on.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
i've used these before. quality and longevity is great. would have no issue using again.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:41 PM

$72.50 to do it ALL? You mean to remove Calipers, Powder Coat them and reinstall? That would never happen from what I have researched. $72.50 each (if just for powder coating) is close to the $150 a Pair this place charges. The $1,000 option is expensive, but if someone wanted to just drop off the car and be done and is rich, they'd pay that.

My ONLY concern is removing and reinstalling the calipers. 1. Without messing anything up, and 2. Carefully so they don't scratch them up while putting them back ON!

I'm sure my mechanic could do it, but I still am uncomfortable a little, like he will run into something unique to a Mercedes. I am overthinking this.

I'd happily pay $100-$200 for my mechanic to remove and re-install calipers. He would likely charge me less. And then paying $300-$400 for 4 Powder Coated Calipers with a clear coat and my labels applied to them isn't bad to me. I like a good deal like the next guy, but If they were OFF The Car, I would definitely spend the time and effort and money to get them done right.

I wonder if I could Take the Calipers OFF Myself? Not sure what damage I could do? Then I could have him reinstall them on the car to make sure it goes back ON Correctly? I have a 2017 C63 and a LIFT which makes it easier.

Would YOU GUYS Just give the G2 a try Myself at Home? Or, Buck up and take them off to have Powder Coated? I'm sure Painting works too by a Pro, but if they were OFF, I'd spend the extra $$ for the Powder.

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 10-26-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Screw this! I just want some Powder on the damn things, Geeesh! Unit 14 Local Place near Dallas, TX if I BRING them Calipers to Their Shop was $790.00 (Rebuilding Pistons ) Then another Place which I wouldn't ship them, I'd do local, but they are $600+ by the time you are done.

1. Unit 14 Gave me THIS Quote (The LOCAL SHOP Plano, TX)

Powder Coating 6 piston front calipers - Red $150.00
Powder Coating Single piston rear calipers -Red $125.00
Labor Rebuild brakes, 14 pistons =$280.00
Powder Coating clear coat (optional) 1 100.00
Powder Coating Upcharge for vinyl applied under clear coat (optional) 75.00

SUBTOTAL 730.00 TAX 60.23 TOTAL $790.23

2. A SEPARATE Mail Order Company in Florida One Gave me This Quote:

Option 1. Multi Color and Coat: Our rough estimate for calipers that may require 2 coats ,a base chrome (or what paint manufacturer calls for ) and your choice color is $150.00 per caliper.

Option 2.Solid Color Quote: If you select a solid one coat color ,we only charge $125.00 per caliper.

-Application of your logos which will include a clear coat of powder You can Add: Logo option: Logos / Lettering are 25.00 per logo additional. -LABELS / Decals /Logos (keep in mind we also include a clear coat of powder after application of logo)

**COUPON continues $50.00 off your total sale.

This will include:
1. Stripping and or sandblasting to get down to bare metal
2. Chemical Pretreatment wash if required
3. Primer (If needed)
4. Powder Coat Color of your Choice
5. Clear coat of powder after decal is applied (If option is selected)

Turnaround time is about 5 to 7business days. (Depending on condition of calipers). Please just ship calipers intact. We will prep and get ready for paint.

ARMOR TECH POWDER COATING
WWW.ARMORTECHPOWDERCOATING.COM

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 10-26-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would probably use the local shop than trusting someone in another city or state. I prefer not having MY parts sent to someone I've never seen and trust them not to screw up the calipers and/or the powder-coating. If someting goes wrong, how long will it take to get a remote fix?

Go local. I have a personal motto I use: I prefer to pay a more for better quality. At the end of the day, you have to live with the decision going forward. Right? So, if you get it done properly, it will last you a very long time and you'll smile every time you look at them.

Let us know what you decide. And, don't forget the pics!
Old 10-27-2019, 03:22 AM

I 100% will go Local. I see some say they get Powder Coating for $75, $100, but that seems low.

when I saw the $700+ Quote I flipped BUT now that i am researching POWDER Coating, apparently to Bake the Calipers you have to remove the 8 piston and do a rebuild kit on the calipers. I didn’t understand this? But I think it’s necessary? Can anyone confirm?

I would also feel Fine Getting them Professionally Painted (off the car) and Clear Coated. If a PRO does it, they will look perfect and no rebuild kits etc. the Bad is having to remove the calipers which is the pain in the *** scary part I am concerned with.

I’m starting to Consider Painting Myself with Calipers ON the Car. Using my $36 G2 kit. And the $10 AMG Logos from EBay.

If I Jack Up my paint job I can always take them off and spend $$$ to get them professionally Powder Coated or repainted. I’m SURE Red would look better than my stock silver metal unpainted ones. And it’s not like people are going to stick their Nose in your wheels to look at them. I’m sure if you do a good job from 5 feet they will look as good as Powder Coating.

it DOES seem spray would be easier than the BRUSH that I’d be using with my G2 Kit. I read a few Horror Stores in G2, but also read many 5 star reviews.

Spray would eliminate brush strokes and allow you to do many light coats to slowly build the color. But G2 is also supposed to self level?

I know some use a Rectangle FOAM Paint Brush. HOW do you use the Foam, would you just Dab the Foam Brush on Caliper? Or do you still brush it on with the foam brush?

The potential for BRUSH Marks on G2 System concern me. But obviously they provide a Brush. If a brush didn’t work I’m sure they’d include a foam brush, so maybe just using the kit as intended is the right thing to do.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I would try this: https://www.rvinyl.com/Caliper-Vinyl-Wraps

Google "wrap brake calipers" - look into this if you haven't already. Heard some good things about it. Link above is using a 3M product. Good luck and post pics when you're done once you decide which way you want to go.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks on WRAP but I read reviews, it CAN be good, but it isn't easy to install and some I saw looked Awful. Too complicated and New. I feel better with plain old reliable Paint.

I went ahead and bought the $13 Caliper AMG Lettering eBay. Guy has hundreds of sales and great reviews and you get 8 total ANY SIZE Mix n Match. I measured BOTH AMG Current Labels on Caliper to get eh proper size.

I Ordered:

4 of the 5 Inch with a 20% Curve for the FRONTS (2 Extra in Case I mess Up).
2 of the 4 Inch STRAIGHT for Rear
2 of the 4 Inch 10% Curve to see how a slight Curve on Rear Looks? The AMG on there now on the REARS is Straight.

**Here they are for anyone else interested in the Exact Seller to Purchase. ****Seller is located in Isreal so they take a while to arrive.

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 10-27-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
for what its worth - i spoke to my local wheel shop "California Wheels" and to powder all 4 corners on my E63 Wagon they quoted my $800 if that helps. I like the idea of the G2 kit, but if it comes out badly, i'd be annoyed to have to redo, thats just me.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
you literally cannot mess up g2. it's self leveling and cures hard and w/ a nice sheen.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 AM

$800 to powder coat is fine. But does that include on and off install of calipers?

I got a quote of $790 to do 4 calipers, rebuild 8 pistons (Guess they remove all caliper hardware to powder coat, seems like $280 of BS to me, they probably just take them off and put them back on) Apply Labels and clear coat.

I think they quoted $1,200 to do everything. Take off calipers, rebuild 8 pistons, powder, clear coat on top of caliper labels, storing car overnight with wheels off or until done.

I get concerned about a paint and Powder Coating Shop taking off my calipers and messing with my Benz Brakes. When they are back together, are they going to be installed correctly?

If G2 doesn’t work or the quality is so bad you hate it, just go powder-coat! It’s $40 and your time to TRY so besides the TIME, not much of a risk to attempt. I bet if you did a good job and had 2 Exact Same AMG Cars, ONE with Stock Painted from Factory Calipers, and the other G2, and didn't mention it to anyone. The majority of people on this forum would never notice or say, hey did you paint the calipers. I think as long as you do a very good job, and do the labels, it will give the same effect you want to achieve.

My G2 Kit has Shipped and is in the way! The ONLY issue is I’m in Texas, BUT it’s getting cold even here. So if the tempature is too cool out, G2 doesn't cure and adhere correctly and isn’t recommended to apply in colder weather.

So I may have to wait depending on the weather. It seems like it’s only going to get colder as the year winds to an end.

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 10-30-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Current: 2017 C63S Prior: 2016 CLA45, 2015 Evo X Final Edition
Originally Posted by TexasBenzBandit
$800 to powder coat is fine. But does that include on and off install of calipers?

I got a quote of $790 to do 4 calipers, rebuild 8 pistons (Guess they remove all caliper hardware to powder coat, seems like $280 of BS to me, they probably just take them off and put them back on) Apply Labels and clear coat.

I think they quoted $1,200 to do everything. Take off calipers, rebuild 8 pistons, powder, clear coat on top of caliper labels, storing car overnight with wheels off or until done.

I get concerned about a paint and Powder Coating Shop taking off my calipers and messing with my Benz Brakes. When they are back together, are they going to be installed correctly?

If G2 doesn’t work or the quality is so bad you hate it, just go powder-coat! It’s $40 and your time to TRY so besides the TIME, not much of a risk to attempt. I bet if you did a good job and had 2 Exact Same AMG Cars, ONE with Stock Painted from Factory Calipers, and the other G2, and didn't mention it to anyone. The majority of people on this forum would never notice or say, hey did you paint the calipers. I think as long as you do a very good job, and do the labels, it will give the same effect you want to achieve.

My G2 Kit has Shipped and is in the way! The ONLY issue is I’m in Texas, BUT it’s getting cold even here. So if the tempature is too cool out, G2 doesn't cure and adhere correctly and isn’t recommended to apply in colder weather.

So I may have to wait depending on the weather. It seems like it’s only going to get colder as the year winds to an end.

If you're worried about temperature, you could always just close your garage and get a space heater.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
just FYI, brembo, who makes the OE calipers paints their calipers. they strongly suggest not to powdercoat as powdercoat holds in heat. Here is some words and steps from the document.

the key take away which will give you good resistance to every day use is the acrylic clear coat. This is why oe caliper paint lasts better than most on the aftermarket..

REPAINTING OF CALIPERS

Brembo does not recommend repainting calipers due to the potential issues that can be created when done incorrectly. If you choose to paint your calipers regardless, please read below.

Special Notes:

· Brake fluid, harsh brake or wheel cleaners can damage any caliper finish.

· Powder coating is not recommended.

· Two piece calipers should never be taken apart.

· Pistons should not be removed.

· Stiffening bridges, stainless abutment plates or any other parts that are not listed below should not be removed.

Remove ONLY the following parts. No other parts should be removed.

· Pads

· Pad pins

· Pad springs

· Rubber bleeder caps

Preparation:
Caliper finish should not be stripped or removed. Only painted surfaces should be lightly sanded and repainted. All other areas that are metal or anodized (silver or black) finish need to be taped off.

The following mounting surfaces should NOT be painted:

· Anodized area under the head of the caliper bolt

· Anodized area of the caliper that rests against the spindle or caliper adapter bracket

· Anodized area that the brake line mates to the caliper

Type of Paint:
High quality 2 or 3 stage automotive or aircraft paint can be used.

The Brembo paint cycle is a long and complex process, which Brembo has perfected over the years. It includes, among other steps, applying an epoxy primer, polyurethane paint and transparent acrylicpaint.Sep 27, 2016
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 PM

Thanks Guys, Temp in Dallas is a High of 60 degrees tomorrow. My car would likley be painted ON my Lift in my Garage. The left side, drivers, would be a little close to the garage wall, but I would have room. Just not sure about temp?

Right now the temp at 8pm is 72, Low on Nov 6, 2019.

I just hate to do it and it doesn't work right due to temp? I read on the internet some shops that paint calipers with G2 say they won't apply November-Jan due to temps.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C63S
Did this to my 997.2 Porsche 911 a year ago to take my calipers from black to red. Did all of the work myself with little experience working on brakes. I’m in the Dallas area, so feel free to reach out if you want to discuss, but here is a summary of the steps I took:

1) Once the car was up in the air, took off the wheels, then took off the brake lines and wrapped them in baggies to prevent brake fluid from getting everywhere
2) Removed the calipers, spent a lot of time cleaning, sanding, and removing all the grime and old paint to expose as much bare metal as possible
3) Taped off all caliper pistons and brake line connectors
4) High temp VHT primer, two coats spray
5) High temp VHT brake paint, probably did four coats spray, wet sand in between, closed by a bake in a cheap toaster oven from walmart
6) Applied high temp vinyls from eBay, then single heavy clear coat spray, baked again

Reinstalled and bled the brakes.

overall turned out a lot better than I ever expected.

heres a few links I followed as reference
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2-c2-base.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-and-ugly.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-c2-base.html

The following users liked this post:
TexasBenzBandit (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:22 AM

Thanks Guys and I appreciate the offer KS! Beautiful Car. I was seriously looking at a Porche and not sure how I ended up with the C63, but I like it. The Porsche is probably fun to drive and it really winds out and screams. I'd LOVE to take the Calipers OFF, then it would be so easy! BUT I am not a Brake Expert and would be a little worried.

I Have the G2 Kit, but I DO LIKE the idea of using a spray can. It just seems easier to coat evenly. I KNOW G2 self-levels, but sometimes you can have brush marks. I did a similar kit on my Vette 15 years ago. Still on there today! Spray to me seems much easier and quicker and would yield good results and be nice and even. I guess I can do it the garage and use a space heater, but how does that work? The car's on the lift and I go around to each one to do a coat and have a space heater pointing at caliper? It seems I'd need 4 heaters as moving a heater from caliper to caliper as I'm painting doesn't seem like it would work right.

but it's 44 degrees now in DFW and it's likely getting colder as the year goes on. After Thanksgiving, I may consider giving it a TRY, or I am debating if it is better to wait until it's warmer out?

IF someone GOOD/Reliable/Reputable would Powder Coat for $800 I'd highly consider it. The Hard part is getting them off, back on, and bleeding brakes. That is my concern. WHY is that company saying the need to rebuild 8 Pistons For Powder Coating???? Is That Standard to Remove the Pistons prior to Powdercoating? If so, do places charge to rebuild them, or do they just remove and reinstall as part of the process? Or do they expect YOU to remove them yourself?

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 11-28-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Oh BTW, I finally got my AMG High temp Labels from Israel off eBay. Took 3-4 weeks, which it said in the description, but they look good and you get 8, so you can order doubles if you mess up, or different sizes to test on rotors. I got 2 sizes for REAR to see what looks best when I actually do it.

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 12-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C63S
Not sure how this would work with calipers still on the car. With painting, prep is everything, and I think it would be tough to adequately get everything sanded down and the old paint removed if still mounted on the car. You’d have to cover or paint around all the other brake hardware as well such as pads, mounting clips, and brake wear sensors .

A space heater would be enough for basic curing, but may not be enough to fully set a high temp paint.

Also I imagine it would be difficult to make sure the car body is completely covered and protected from any overspray.

Personally I would just adventure to take the calipers off, as working with brakes I’ve found is pretty straightforward and was a lot less intimidating once I got familiar with how they worked. I haven’t done any work on the c63 brakes, but I’m assuming most cars are the same and caliper mounts are super simple with two big bolts that mount it to the strut tower. Unless there is something super special to the c63, brake bleeding should be a time consuming but straightforward process that is pretty similar to other cars. I’d recommend reading up on the process to give you some confidence.

Also I did the painting around this time of year in DFW, was about in the fifties during the day. And just because threads are more fun with pics, Here’s another taken one year after painting when I was learning how to remove the suspension:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered G2 Red Caliper Paint for 2017 C63 AMG