Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPEL installations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2019 | 05:06 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
XPEL installations

I just got back from PPF XPEL installer. I am looking to have the entire hood, front fenders, outside mirrors, rocker panels done. I have 4,600 miles on my 2019 C63S coupe in Iridium Silver. I [purchased the car in April 2019 and been garaged kept. A eye ball of the car by installer doesn't think any or very little paint correction will be needed. I'v had the car clay bar 3 x with monthly quality wax and paint sealant.
This is the first time I am having the PPF done. Is these any thing I should be made aware of or any suggestions would be helpful? I own the car.
Old 10-30-2019 | 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I'd recommend you do the entire front, not just hood and fenders, including headlights and all the lower front fascia. That's where you gonna see most of the impacts. XPEL has templates for all that stuff. I have the entire front as described wrapped with XPEL, mirror housings, door handle cups (finger nail scratches), door edges and rear bumper. That's a pretty standard package to protect the most high impact areas. In addition, I requested wrapped edges where possible. The standard templates most installers use don't wrap the edges of the hood etc., so the film doesn't wrap around and you'll see the edges. I haven't done the rocker panels, but sort of regret it now. I noticed a small blemish the other day when washing the car. Probably a rock the flew up on the side. I may go back and do them as well. I had over 6000 miles on mine when I did the wrap, but those miles were all done in Europe with much cleaner roads, so I had zero chips. Car got detailed by the VPC, dealer and then finally by the installer. Looks great. The C63 is kinda pricey to wrap, though. The whole thing cost me $3500 with the wrapped edges customization. Lots of nitty gritty features in the front of the car. Mine also has the Areo package, so that adds the front splitter which they also wrapped.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-30-2019 at 06:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019 | 12:21 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Thanks for info. I believe the entire front end will be done. I see concerns about it not wrapping around edges where the edges will be visible. Something I will not like. I will call the installer about that issue and other areas to have done.
This is my DD and hoping little or no snow in NYC area as Sanitation Dept flood the street with salt.
Old 10-31-2019 | 12:34 PM

2019 MB C63s Coupe, 2004 Audi S4, 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, building Cobra Daytona Coupe now
Seconded on the entire front. I actually did the entire car, except for the sunroof and the rear diffuser (shape too complicated). Came out great!
jj18 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
I'd recommend you do the entire front, not just hood and fenders, including headlights and all the lower front fascia. That's where you gonna see most of the impacts. XPEL has templates for all that stuff. I have the entire front as described wrapped with XPEL, mirror housings, door handle cups (finger nail scratches), door edges and rear bumper. That's a pretty standard package to protect the most high impact areas. In addition, I requested wrapped edges where possible. The standard templates most installers use don't wrap the edges of the hood etc., so the film doesn't wrap around and you'll see the edges. I haven't done the rocker panels, but sort of regret it now. I noticed a small blemish the other day when washing the car. Probably a rock the flew up on the side. I may go back and do them as well. I had over 6000 miles on mine when I did the wrap, but those miles were all done in Europe with much cleaner roads, so I had zero chips. Car got detailed by the VPC, dealer and then finally by the installer. Looks great. The C63 is kinda pricey to wrap, though. The whole thing cost me $3500 with the wrapped edges customization. Lots of nitty gritty features in the front of the car. Mine also has the Areo package, so that adds the front splitter which they also wrapped.
How much did all that cost if you do not mind me asking? Also about XPELing the headlights, I heard that if you ever take the XPEL off the headlights, it takes off factory headlight coating with it. So it is kinda recommended not to xpel it. What is your opinion about that?
Old 10-31-2019 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by munis
How much did all that cost if you do not mind me asking? Also about XPELing the headlights, I heard that if you ever take the XPEL off the headlights, it takes off factory headlight coating with it. So it is kinda recommended not to xpel it. What is your opinion about that?
It's right there in the text you quoted, $3500. I have no plans taking the XPEL off the headlights. I had the same setup on my previous car for six years.
munis (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019 | 04:50 PM

2019 C63s
Originally Posted by jj18
Thanks for info. I believe the entire front end will be done. I see concerns about it not wrapping around edges where the edges will be visible. Something I will not like. I will call the installer about that issue and other areas to have done.
This is my DD and hoping little or no snow in NYC area as Sanitation Dept flood the street with salt.
If your installer is any good they should know how to customise the templates to make sure it wraps around the edges. You will most probably have to pay extra but imo it's worth it.
jj18 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019 | 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
From experience... I had the front of my Macan TT wrapped. They did not perform a paint correction. What that translated to is to see very small water spots under the wrap on the hood. Up close it looks like that brown stuff that smells bad. I received my VIN on my '20 C63S solenite gray metallic coupe. Waiting for a ship now. The entire car will be paint corrected first. Only after that is done I'll probably completely wrap it in a matte finish or regular. But it will be wrapped entirely. I saw someone elses gray car done that way with a matte wrap and it looked good. If you're gonna wrap it, get it paint corrected first. This way it will look good up close.
jj18 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019 | 10:18 PM

C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
For the love of everything good, wrap any paint behind a tire. You’ll thank me later.
jj18 (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019 | 10:25 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Tom⠀
If your installer is any good they should know how to customise the templates to make sure it wraps around the edges. You will most probably have to pay extra but imo it's worth it.
The installer seems very experienced but going over every options and different options I came away with things I needed to think on. Like getting it wrapped around the edges to make sure that gets done.
Old 11-01-2019 | 12:36 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
Got my c63s wrapped in ppf, I'm based in Singapore however, so my pricing would be irrelevant.

Would say it's a good investment, but just be aware that while ppf can protect against rock chips to a certain degree, if the rock is large enough and travelling fast enough - it can tear through the ppf.

Likewise, door dings may leave a dent, but the paint shouldn't chip with ppf

I got my entire car wrapped except the sunroof - my logic was, if I only did a partial wrap and I got a chip on the area I chose to exclude, I'd beat myself up over it
jj18 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 01:34 AM

2018 C63S Coupe
I just got back from PPF XPEL installer. I am looking to have the entire hood, front fenders, outside mirrors, rocker panels done. I have 4,600 miles on my 2019 C63S coupe in Iridium Silver. I [purchased the car in April 2019 and been garaged kept. A eye ball of the car by installer doesn't think any or very little paint correction will be needed. I'v had the car clay bar 3 x with monthly quality wax and paint sealant.
This is the first time I am having the PPF done. Is these any thing I should be made aware of or any suggestions would be helpful? I own the car.
What other members said, do the entire front. I had XPEL Ultimate put on the entire front, then I had them do 2 ceramic coatings of GTechniq Crystal on the entire car. This combo makes the paint really POP.

*** One key learning point for me was, buy some touch up paint before you get it done, in case they find some small chips or scratches, they can include those micro repairs as part of the paint correction. Paint correction does NOT include repairing any little scratches or chips with paint, they only remove swirls (buff out swirls). I was made to believe PC included correcting any minor scratches or chips with paint.***
jj18 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 07:13 AM

M3
I did the entire front plus mirrors, headlights and sills before putting any miles on mine. The only place you can see an edge is close to the headlights. Nobody would notice except me. Not sure if that could have been done better. The rest is unnoticeable. They do cut around the V8 biturbo badge but that doesn’t show. Within a week there was a tiny rip on the black sill bit. It cost me £45 to rewrap. I have no idea how it happened but the panel was perfect so I guess the PPF did its job. Maybe the girlfriend’s heel or something caught it. Punishment will be administered of course.
jj18 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 12:00 PM

2019 C63S coupe
not true at all. This is only a problem with PORSCHE cars and their UV coatings.
Old 11-01-2019 | 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Vader C63S
not true at all. This is only a problem with PORSCHE cars and their UV coatings.

So if you ever want to take the protection off, that is completely fine?
jj18 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 06:57 PM

2019 C63S coupe
So if you ever want to take the protection off, that is completely fine?
correct
Old 11-03-2019 | 12:51 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by MBzW205
What other members said, do the entire front. I had XPEL Ultimate put on the entire front, then I had them do 2 ceramic coatings of GTechniq Crystal on the entire car. This combo makes the paint really POP.

*** One key learning point for me was, buy some touch up paint before you get it done, in case they find some small chips or scratches, they can include those micro repairs as part of the paint correction. Paint correction does NOT include repairing any little scratches or chips with paint, they only remove swirls (buff out swirls). I was made to believe PC included correcting any minor scratches or chips with paint.***
Good idea. About having touch up paint available.
Old 11-13-2019 | 02:35 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
I have appointment next week for PPF, entire front and side rocker panels. I just noticed 3 tiny pin like in size stone chips on A wing Front bumper which is painted "High Gloss Black". It is not noticable unless you are very close but I know it"s there. I called installer and to ask if I should get MB touch up paint and he advised it's better to leave it alone as the touch up paint may slight raise or not be flush with the surrounding area. The would cause a problem installing the PPF in the area. Any suggestions before I have the PPF installed next week? Is there a paint code or MB High Gloss Black.? The chips are so small I could touch it up with a toothpick.
Old 11-13-2019 | 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I have appointment next week for PPF, entire front and side rocker panels. I just noticed 3 tiny pin like in size stone chips on A wing Front bumper which is painted "High Gloss Black". It is not noticable unless you are very close but I know it"s there. I called installer and to ask if I should get MB touch up paint and he advised it's better to leave it alone as the touch up paint may slight raise or not be flush with the surrounding area. The would cause a problem installing the PPF in the area. Any suggestions before I have the PPF installed next week? Is there a paint code or MB High Gloss Black.? The chips are so small I could touch it up with a toothpick.
If they bother you, you can touch them up once the PPF is installed. That way it's not causing any issues with the installation. Not sure if the MB parts department has gloss black touch up paint, but I would check with them.
Old 11-13-2019 | 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Problem with factory touch up paint is it dries too quick and is too thick. Not to mention the little brush attached to the cap absolutely sucks. This is what you want to use. This is the de facto standard in the sign painting industry. Has a nice flow and is thinned with mineral spirits. You can get it at any automotive paint store. Then go to a craft shop like Michael's and get several very fine brushes. This color matches the gloss black perfectly and if done right. You'd need a magnifying glass to see that it was used. I guarantee almost all installers never heard of 1 Shot lettering enamel - it's the best in the biz. You will not get a raise on the PPF with this. You most definitely would with the factory touch up paint. Also while on the subject. I always go to an Automotive paint store and have them mix me a small can of touch up paint for my car. I thin that with lacquer thinner and use the same small brushes. By thinning it, I have control of the thickness and flow and can place it better with small brushes. Super easy and the results are superior to the little gloppy overpriced bottle the dealer sells.

Old 11-13-2019 | 04:36 PM

C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Another vote for wrapping edges. Spend the extra money, it is worth it. Had PPF on my Volvo XC90 done in 2011 without wrapping edges, had to redo bumper because of accident and took to my regular detail/tint shop that does it properly. Cannot tell anymore that there is any PPF.

Originally Posted by benzbell
Problem with factory touch up paint is it dries too quick and is too thick. Not to mention the little brush attached to the cap absolutely sucks. This is what you want to use. This is the de facto standard in the sign painting industry. Has a nice flow and is thinned with mineral spirits. You can get it at any automotive paint store. Then go to a craft shop like Michael's and get several very fine brushes. This color matches the gloss black perfectly and if done right. You'd need a magnifying glass to see that it was used. I guarantee almost all installers never heard of 1 Shot lettering enamel - it's the best in the biz. You will not get a raise on the PPF with this. You most definitely would with the factory touch up paint. Also while on the subject. I always go to an Automotive paint store and have them mix me a small can of touch up paint for my car. I thin that with lacquer thinner and use the same small brushes. By thinning it, I have control of the thickness and flow and can place it better with small brushes. Super easy and the results are superior to the little gloppy overpriced bottle the dealer sells.
Agree. I have been trying to touch up chips with the straight paint and it looks like I did it with ketchup.
Old 11-14-2019 | 10:19 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by benzbell

Thanks for great info. Yesterday I purchased the MB Touch Up paint just to have. While at MB Dealership I had the manager in Body/Collision look at the few tiny spec that are on the High Gloss Black part of the A wing? or front bumper. The few specs are on the High Gloss Black are on the plastic section under the front bumper and he advised to leave it alone and just get the PPF next week.