Maintaining Magno Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Maintaining Magno Paint

Guys, I was just wondering how hard is it to maintain the magno colors on these cars? Did you guys go with full car ppf for it?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
Originally Posted by munis
Guys, I was just wondering how hard is it to maintain the magno colors on these cars? Did you guys go with full car ppf for it?
I've done ppf on whole front end and ceramic coat the rest. Super easy to maintain.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 195 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Been answered many time here recently. Bottom line: PLAIN soap, water, microfiber towels to dry, enjoy. That's it. I've come to the conclusion that in retrospect, I should have ordered the magno. Simple reason is as said just last week it does not reflect in the sunlight. You can't see swirl marks. There are several people who have wrapped their cars in a matte material. One gentleman posted several before and after shots. Same placement, same lighting. Looks pretty good. ANd, should you mess up the matte wrap, just peel off and replace rather than having to have the panel resprayed.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Been answered many time here recently. Bottom line: PLAIN soap, water, microfiber towels to dry, enjoy. That's it. I've come to the conclusion that in retrospect, I should have ordered the magno. Simple reason is as said just last week it does not reflect in the sunlight. You can't see swirl marks. There are several people who have wrapped their cars in a matte material. One gentleman posted several before and after shots. Same placement, same lighting. Looks pretty good. ANd, should you mess up the matte wrap, just peel off and replace rather than having to have the panel resprayed.

Just my $0.02.
curious about this thread. here is my build. super excited for the magno but have heard horror stories

Last edited by Stevestil; 10-31-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 195 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
You'll be fine. There's more than enough info out there as to the care and feeding of matte finishes. Do your homework now. Research is your friend. Look for and identify the correct materials you'll need to care for your car and start collecting when you're ready.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
You'll be fine. There's more than enough info out there as to the care and feeding of matte finishes. Do your homework now. Research is your friend. Look for and identify the correct materials you'll need to care for your car and start collecting when you're ready.

good advice. thank you, sir
Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
I have graphite magno with kamikaze zipang ceramic coating which is semi self healing.

absolutely delighted with it and can’t recommend it highly enough.

Wash with ph neutral shampoo and then blow dry that’s it.

A quarterly top up with kamikaze overcoat rejuvenates the finish.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 11-01-2019 at 03:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
munis (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
As stated, there are tons of threads to search regarding this topic; I, myself, was inquiring a year ago as well and have done extensive research and made countless inquires...I suggest checking out @benzbell 's post on the subject.

I can say, first hand, as a magno cashmere white paint owner, that the magno paint is--in general--a very resilient and durable finish.

That said, I did a ceramic coat (Ceramic Pro) on mine more for the general paint protection gains than actually protecting from any sort of road debris/rock chips/etc. In short, I couldn't be happier. After almost 2K miles, I have zero rock chips anywhere and--best of all--the paint is SO easy to clean.

I chose the Chemical Guys' matte paint wash and it works flawlessly. As others have mentioned, I do believe any "normal" washing solution would work just fine as well.

Because my paint is white, one of the distinct downsides I've experienced is that the tire "splatter" is extreme and annoying. I can literally drive down the street after washing my car and it looks like someone took a black paint brush and shook it all over the sides of my car. I did not consider this would happen, but would it have changed my mind in getting this color? Not in the least. It's still 100% worth the effort to clean it all the time. The ceramic coat probably helps a lot, as well, since these marks come right off with just a little rub of the sponge.

In the end, I am SO IN LOVE with this color. I love how it looks and how it's such a departure (for me) from the regular glossy look. I love how my car stands out in a sea of glossy cars. It's truly a special thing that MBZ has done with these magno colors, in my opinion. I wish I could have gotten that blue magno that you can get on the GTs/GT63s though...that color looks spectacular in my opinion.

Anyway, I digress, but in my opinion, you don't need to PPF the car unless you intend to keep the vehicle for past 3 years (I'm leasing mine), in which case, it's probably just most important to protect the front for rock chips...

My two cents...
Uga Uga (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Toyota 4Runner (TRD Pro), 2015 Jeep Wrangler (Sahara Edition)
Hello all - I am getting a very similar spec to the one posted-above with the Graphite Gray Magno paint, and have been wondering the same thing. We are doing ED, so won't be picking it up until next April, but want to make sure we prepare for the car appropriately. Here is what I am seeing so far from this thread and others on the forum:

1. Don't take to it through an automatic car wash due to the type of shampoos and wax they use.
2. At least PPF the front end, engine cover, and mirrors
3. Only use washing products that are specifically created for matte paints. I assume this means manual washing and wiping down is the best method to keep the paint's integrity?

I live in SLC, Utah. We gets lots of snow, so this prolly won't be driven too much in the Winter. Does anyone have any advice for what to look for when searching for a shop to apply the PPF? I have never done this before, so am not sure if there are any specifics one should require when choosing the place to do it?
Old 11-01-2019, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mrguitar
As stated, there are tons of threads to search regarding this topic; I, myself, was inquiring a year ago as well and have done extensive research and made countless inquires...I suggest checking out @benzbell 's post on the subject.

I can say, first hand, as a magno cashmere white paint owner, that the magno paint is--in general--a very resilient and durable finish.

That said, I did a ceramic coat (Ceramic Pro) on mine more for the general paint protection gains than actually protecting from any sort of road debris/rock chips/etc. In short, I couldn't be happier. After almost 2K miles, I have zero rock chips anywhere and--best of all--the paint is SO easy to clean.

I chose the Chemical Guys' matte paint wash and it works flawlessly. As others have mentioned, I do believe any "normal" washing solution would work just fine as well.

Because my paint is white, one of the distinct downsides I've experienced is that the tire "splatter" is extreme and annoying. I can literally drive down the street after washing my car and it looks like someone took a black paint brush and shook it all over the sides of my car. I did not consider this would happen, but would it have changed my mind in getting this color? Not in the least. It's still 100% worth the effort to clean it all the time. The ceramic coat probably helps a lot, as well, since these marks come right off with just a little rub of the sponge.

In the end, I am SO IN LOVE with this color. I love how it looks and how it's such a departure (for me) from the regular glossy look. I love how my car stands out in a sea of glossy cars. It's truly a special thing that MBZ has done with these magno colors, in my opinion. I wish I could have gotten that blue magno that you can get on the GTs/GT63s though...that color looks spectacular in my opinion.

Anyway, I digress, but in my opinion, you don't need to PPF the car unless you intend to keep the vehicle for past 3 years (I'm leasing mine), in which case, it's probably just most important to protect the front for rock chips...

My two cents...
That was another one of my thought. I was planning on getting the brilliant blue and then wrapping it in XPEL stealth and get that blue magno look. I am definitely going to lease mine and looking forward to keeping it for a very long time if the next get is indeed a 4 cylinder hybrid. So I would want to choose the paint very carefully.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe, 2020 G550
Honestly if I could go back in time I wouldn't have gotten matte. Maybe its just me, but I feel like the matte paint is a big headache.

If anything does get on the car, I immediately start worrying about whether or not it'll stain the finish.

When you dont get to wash it one week, and its dirty, it really shows.

If you don't want to or if you don't have time to wash it yourself, you can't take it just anywhere, you really have to do your research.

God forbid you get some kind of scratch anywhere on the car, nothing can be buffed out, and I know from experience that paint shops take FOREVER with matte paint, and it will never be perfect.

Magno looks awesome. My 2019 c63s is graphite grey magno and it has night package and aero package. I have all badges in gloss black and gloss black door handle covers. The few gloss black parts go great with the matte. Its a perfect spec, exactly what I wanted. But as a daily drive its honestly very tough.
jj18 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
I believe there is a misconception regarding the durability and resilience of modern Magno paint.
I don’t worry at all.

The most important thing to remember that is never rush the wash process.
If it looks dirty don’t worry, Wash it when you have the time to do so that’s it.

And yes Graphite Grey is AWESOME.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 11-02-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:30 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by Encore818
Honestly if I could go back in time I wouldn't have gotten matte. Maybe its just me, but I feel like the matte paint is a big headache.

If anything does get on the car, I immediately start worrying about whether or not it'll stain the finish.

When you dont get to wash it one week, and its dirty, it really shows.

If you don't want to or if you don't have time to wash it yourself, you can't take it just anywhere, you really have to do your research.

God forbid you get some kind of scratch anywhere on the car, nothing can be buffed out, and I know from experience that paint shops take FOREVER with matte paint, and it will never be perfect.

Magno looks awesome. My 2019 c63s is graphite grey magno and it has night package and aero package. I have all badges in gloss black and gloss black door handle covers. The few gloss black parts go great with the matte. Its a perfect spec, exactly what I wanted. But as a daily drive its honestly very tough.
Sounds like you didn't get any protection (PPF or ceramic)? Mine gets dirty just as you say, but everything simply just wipes off due to the ceramic. Looks as good as new and I wash it weekly...

I would worry a bit too if I didn't get any protection at all...also if I intended to keep the car long-term...
Old 11-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mrguitar
Sounds like you didn't get any protection (PPF or ceramic)? Mine gets dirty just as you say, but everything simply just wipes off due to the ceramic. Looks as good as new and I wash it weekly...

I would worry a bit too if I didn't get any protection at all...also if I intended to keep the car long-term...
I don't plan on keeping the car past my 3 year lease, if I was then I definitely would get some protection.

The car is extremely easy to clean even without any coating, but in order to keep it looking good it does require a weekly wash.

Last edited by Encore818; 11-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:51 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by Encore818
I don't plan on keeping the car past my 3 year lease, if I was then I definitely would get some protection.

The car is extremely to clean even without any coating, but in order to keep it looking good it does require a weekly wash.
Yep I can definitely agree with that. The white looks soooo good when clean, but man it is so easy to see that tire debris...
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C300 coupe

I have owned this for about a month now. I used to own black cars that needed to be treated with Tender Loving Care if you wanted it to look good in the sun. The magno paint is very easy to care for. As everyone has mentioned, just wash it with non-wax or silicone wash ( I use Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte for satin-matte finish auto wash). Of course you have to follow the rules of good washing! I would NEVER take any car I own through a car wash! Do not wash a car in the sun. Simple process - 1. do rims and tires first. 2. rinse car from top to bottom to get as much dirt off before washing. 3. Use enough car wash to get lots of foam. Use a screen in the bottom of the bucket to catch dirt. 4. Many preach of the two bucket process, 1 bucket clean water the other with soap. I don't do this because I use a soft wool mitt and after every body panel, i thoroughly rinse the mitt top down on both sides to remove any dirt. I hold it up against the body panel when rinsing the mitt out. 5. Obvious to start at the top and work down. 6. I use a leaf blower to low off as much water as possible and focus on areas like the trim, door handles, mirrors , headlights, rims, etc. 7. Dry with good quality micro fiber drying towel. Believe it or not, the ones from Harbor Freight do a pretty decent job. If you do get them from HF, make sure you wash them first. I also use one from Jax Wax.

It is my everyday drive and and I do worry about getting scratches because you can't buff them out. My wife is afraid to drive it because I told her she has to park it away from all other cars to avoid door pings. I do drive it on the expressway but watch who I drive behind to try and avoid rocks as much as possible. I am surprised how durable the paint is because I do not have any nicks in the paint at all! 24,000 miles on it. I spend much less time on keeping it looking clean than a black gloss car. I get quite a few compliments on the color and don't regret getting the magno. I am considering putting a ceramic coating on it. there has been bird poop on it and it did not etch the paint.

Plan on tinting the windows, AMG style black rims, canards in lower grill, carbon fiber spoiler and possibly H&R lowering springs. Absolutely love the car.
James Schmeling (05-30-2022)
Old 11-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dondeziner

I have owned this for about a month now. I used to own black cars that needed to be treated with Tender Loving Care if you wanted it to look good in the sun. The magno paint is very easy to care for. As everyone has mentioned, just wash it with non-wax or silicone wash ( I use Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte for satin-matte finish auto wash). Of course you have to follow the rules of good washing! I would NEVER take any car I own through a car wash! Do not wash a car in the sun. Simple process - 1. do rims and tires first. 2. rinse car from top to bottom to get as much dirt off before washing. 3. Use enough car wash to get lots of foam. Use a screen in the bottom of the bucket to catch dirt. 4. Many preach of the two bucket process, 1 bucket clean water the other with soap. I don't do this because I use a soft wool mitt and after every body panel, i thoroughly rinse the mitt top down on both sides to remove any dirt. I hold it up against the body panel when rinsing the mitt out. 5. Obvious to start at the top and work down. 6. I use a leaf blower to low off as much water as possible and focus on areas like the trim, door handles, mirrors , headlights, rims, etc. 7. Dry with good quality micro fiber drying towel. Believe it or not, the ones from Harbor Freight do a pretty decent job. If you do get them from HF, make sure you wash them first. I also use one from Jax Wax.

It is my everyday drive and and I do worry about getting scratches because you can't buff them out. My wife is afraid to drive it because I told her she has to park it away from all other cars to avoid door pings. I do drive it on the expressway but watch who I drive behind to try and avoid rocks as much as possible. I am surprised how durable the paint is because I do not have any nicks in the paint at all! 24,000 miles on it. I spend much less time on keeping it looking clean than a black gloss car. I get quite a few compliments on the color and don't regret getting the magno. I am considering putting a ceramic coating on it. there has been bird poop on it and it did not etch the paint.

Plan on tinting the windows, AMG style black rims, canards in lower grill, carbon fiber spoiler and possibly H&R lowering springs. Absolutely love the car.
Your interior is amazing! Never seen that spec.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:32 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
got amg rims?
Old 06-30-2023, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
On my third magno car. There really is no fuss with this paint speaking from experience. More urban legend then anything else. Current car is selenite grey magno and it really hides the dirt and dust. I can go weeks and it still looks good as long as you don't touch or brush up against it and make a clean spot - lol. Drive and have fun. Don't worry about paint. Life is too short for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by benzbell:
figuwx (08-11-2023), japamg (07-05-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C300 coupe
Originally Posted by ILoveNY
got amg rims?
I ended up selling it. Some guy ran into my rear quarter panel above the tire. Very minor damage. Had to get the whole side of the car repainted. Painter matched the color but did not match the matte finish. It was a little too shiny and it drove me nuts! Ended up buying a 2020 Jaguar F-Type.

Old 07-02-2023, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,423 Likes on 2,064 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Dondeziner
I ended up selling it. Some guy ran into my rear quarter panel above the tire. Very minor damage. Had to get the whole side of the car repainted. Painter matched the color but did not match the matte finish. It was a little too shiny and it drove me nuts! Ended up buying a 2020 Jaguar F-Type.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1e6a58725.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7ea625b8bc.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d669bf7e5.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...42d496105.jpeg
Sorry to hear that but dang that interior of your now sold C 63 S is very unique. Still though, enjoy your new to you car : )
Old 07-02-2023, 01:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Matte is not as bad as people think in terms of general care and maintenance, do need to make sure to use Matte friendly washing products and tools and no automatic washes (for those who use those).
Saw these videos a few months ago on youtube, I think he explains it:
Old 07-04-2023, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
718 Cayman GTS
I love matte paint finishes but I'd be so worried about it especially where I live (Charlotte) with all the road debris. I'd probably want to do PPF if I ever bit the bullet.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by trippnuttdipp
I love matte paint finishes but I'd be so worried about it especially where I live (Charlotte) with all the road debris. I'd probably want to do PPF if I ever bit the bullet.
Having PPF is the ticket.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:53 AM

Received 145 Likes on 118 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by benzbell
On my third magno car. There really is no fuss with this paint speaking from experience. More urban legend then anything else. Current car is selenite grey magno and it really hides the dirt and dust. I can go weeks and it still looks good as long as you don't touch or brush up against it and make a clean spot - lol. Drive and have fun. Don't worry about paint. Life is too short for that.
This

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maintaining Magno Paint