NEW COMER, NEED ADVICE ON AMG C63/C63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG C63S
NEW COMER, NEED ADVICE ON AMG C63/C63S

Hi all,

I’m brand new to the forum & have been looking to buy a 2015-2016 AMG C63 or C63S for a few months now. Timing hasn’t been friendly as every time I find one that I like it gets sold. This will be my first Mercedes & I hope to keep it for around 4-5 years. I have a few questions about the AMG C63/C63S & was hoping for some guidance.

1) Is it worth paying extra for a C63S vs a C63?
  • Will I really be missing out on much by not having the active engine mounts & electronic diff from the C63S? How necessary are they?
  • I do want that extra HP & torque of the C63S, but couldn’t I just buy a C63 & add an aftermarket exhaust + tune to get that extra power & sound w/ the money I save from buying a non S model? Is having "race" mode that important?

2) How reliable are the tunes out there? If the tune will cause reliability issues, is it just better to just get a C63S that already has the extra HP/TQ over non S model?

3) Overall, how reliable is this car (motor/transmission/sensors & electronics/etc)?

• My N54 BMW 335i broke down every few months which was frustrating & parts were costly. I’m an ex master auto tech so I can do most repairs myself, but I don’t want to have to spend my weekends always fixing something.

4) The numerous package options are confusing. I can’t find info on what each package includes (ex: lighting package/parking assist package/premium package/night package/ambient lighting/media + dvd package) or what’s important to have. Is there somewhere I can find a detailed explanation for all the package + upgrade options? Are there some that are an absolute must have?

5) What’s a good price for a 2015-2016 C63 & C63 S (with mileage between 18k-35K)?

• I live in San Jose, CA. Most C63 cars around here are priced at $46-48K for the sedan & coupes are $55k-58k depending on year/mileage/options; while most C63 S cars here run around $49-53K for the sedan & $62k-65k for the coupe. Out of state it’s $42-44K for the C63 sedan & $45k-48k for the C63 S sedan. What’s a fair price for the C63 & C63S in both coupe & sedan?

6) The coupe looks better IMO, I’m single w/ no kids & only need a back seat for rare occasions when driving w/ friends so a coupe is plausible; but they cost an extra $8-10k… Is a coupe w/ basically unusable tiny back seats really worth the extra money? Any experiences/opinions on this?

7) How important is the performance exhaust? Is the PE a must have or will an aftermarket exhaust do the same? Does not having the PE affect resale value?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions & give me some guidance. I really could use some insight from experienced owners. I’m looking to pull the trigger on one this month.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Hope you open attachment. Explains many all options
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wheels RSW.pdf (4.01 MB, 254 views)
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy_c63s (11-22-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,884 Likes on 2,599 Posts
2019 C63CS
Can't answer all of your questions, but here are some thoughts.

1) Is the C63S worth it? That's subjective to some extent and depends on what you expect from the car and how you gonna use it. Yes, power-wise you can get a tune and land mostly in the same ballpark. The S comes from the factory with more standard options, so the price gap actually narrows the higher spec'd it is. A fully loaded C63 vs an equally configured S is only about $4000 cheaper than the S new, but with a lower spec C63 it's more like $8000 cheaper, because the S has several options as standard that are optional on the non-S. The S can also be had optionally with carbon ceramic brakes, so that's something to keep in mind. It is a $5000 option, so if you see one used that's on the higher end, it might have the CCBs, and they are expensive to replace. The S has bigger standard brakes, so they are capable to actually handle the higher power and the e-diff is something that you probably will only really notice if you drive it hard. It manages the torque distribution better than the mechanical limited slip diff. Race mode is nice for the track.

3) As with every car, earlier models are prone to more issues that are fixed in later models. The model years you are looking at are very early or even first year model years, so those are generally more prone to issues. 2015 was the first model year for the 205, and many swear by staying away from first model year cars. I'm one of them. I generally stay away from the first 3-4 model years and wait for the facelift, which for this car was 2019. I took possession of mine in May of this year.

6) I pretty much only buy coupes where available. I'm married with no kids. The coupe is the one to get. As opposed to the sedan it has a wider track front and rear and a unique rear axle as well as wider tires from the factory and has room for even wider tires. This car is traction limited with all its power going to the rear wheels, so the coupe thanks to the extra attention to the rear axle puts the power down better, and the wider track helps the handling. It also rides more comfortable and is lower than the sedan. The sedan is slightly lighter, but the coupe is slightly faster and handles better. As for the rear seats, they are not that useless. I had adults back there of different sizes and they were fine. Wouldn't use it as a long distance cruiser with more than 2 passengers, but to give a friend or family member a ride, it's perfectly fine.

7) Must-have, enough said.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-04-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Go Dawgs (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 PM

2016 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by jj18
Hope you open attachment. Explains many all options
Hi, i know this is very late, but I just wanted to thank for sending over the pdf link you sent. It was helpful
jj18 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 11:57 PM

2016 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by superswiss
Can't answer all of your questions, but here are some thoughts.

1) Is the C63S worth it? That's subjective to some extent and depends on what you expect from the car and how you gonna use it. Yes, power-wise you can get a tune and land mostly in the same ballpark. The S comes from the factory with more standard options, so the price gap actually narrows the higher spec'd it is. A fully loaded C63 vs an equally configured S is only about $4000 cheaper than the S new, but with a lower spec C63 it's more like $8000 cheaper, because the S has several options as standard that are optional on the non-S. The S can also be had optionally with carbon ceramic brakes, so that's something to keep in mind. It is a $5000 option, so if you see one used that's on the higher end, it might have the CCBs, and they are expensive to replace. The S has bigger standard brakes, so they are capable to actually handle the higher power and the e-diff is something that you probably will only really notice if you drive it hard. It manages the torque distribution better than the mechanical limited slip diff. Race mode is nice for the track.

3) As with every car, earlier models are prone to more issues that are fixed in later models. The model years you are looking at are very early or even first year model years, so those are generally more prone to issues. 2015 was the first model year for the 205, and many swear by staying away from first model year cars. I'm one of them. I generally stay away from the first 3-4 model years and wait for the facelift, which for this car was 2019. I took possession of mine in May of this year.

6) I pretty much only buy coupes where available. I'm married with no kids. The coupe is the one to get. As opposed to the sedan it has a wider track front and rear and a unique rear axle as well as wider tires from the factory and has room for even wider tires. This car is traction limited with all its power going to the rear wheels, so the coupe thanks to the extra attention to the rear axle puts the power down better, and the wider track helps the handling. It also rides more comfortable and is lower than the sedan. The sedan is slightly lighter, but the coupe is slightly faster and handles better. As for the rear seats, they are not that useless. I had adults back there of different sizes and they were fine. Wouldn't use it as a long distance cruiser with more than 2 passengers, but to give a friend or family member a ride, it's perfectly fine.

7) Must-have, enough said.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions, it was very helpful. I meant to reply sooner but was out of the country on business & just got back.

So when you got your C63 in May, did you get an S or non S? What you said about the S being only marginally more expensive than a non S is true when buying used. Right now I'm trying to decide between two 2017 AMG C63 coupes both which are out of state & one is an S model...

1) 2017 Polar white non S w/ 15k miles for $53,500 before tax & fees.

Pros: Certified CPO, premium 2 package (Electronic Trunk Closer, Ambient Lighting, Hands-Free Access, Comand DVD Player, Comand w/Navigation and Voice Control, Power Folding Mirrors, Touchpad, Hands-Free Comfort Package), Performance exhaust, rear side airbags, and 19/20 AMG cross spoked forged wheels.

Cons: No HU display, has the standard seats w/ Dinamica fabric centers, no tech like Drivers Package/Distronic/Parking Assit Package/Active Lane assist etc.

2) Certified CPO 2017 Polar White C63S w/ 25k miles for $60k before taxes & fees.

Pros: Premium Package 3 + Active blindspot assist etc, Perform Exhaust, Parking Assist Package, 19/20 incch cross spoked rims, Silver Fiberglass trim, night package, Carbon brakes (but this actually seems a con since they're so expensive to replace).

Cons: Has the standard seats but they're at least in full leather w/ the embossed headrest + red/pepper detail + heated & ventilated. I do also consider the carbon brakes as kind of a con as well.

For only a $6-7K price diff it seems like the S is the better deal, but what bugs me is that it doesn't have the performance seats. How necessary would you say those are & how comfortable would you say they are? Would not having the performance seats really hamper resale value? I drive my cars hard & while I want comfort, I do feel like the regular seats wouldn't hold me as well but not sure (i'm 5'7 165 lbs & pretty muscular build.) I know it'd probably be more expensive to do so, but if bought a car w/ standard seats, is it even possible to swap out the seats at all? I know they'll have to be coded in, but are the brackets & electrical plug & play?

I was also wondering:

1) How imperative/useful is the tech like the Drivers Assistance Package / Parking package / Active lane & blind spot assist/ surround view camera etc. Does that stuff really help or work well enough that I shouldn't consider any C63 S or non S w/o it or is it more gimmicky than actual useful reliable tech & is just more stuff that might break in the long run? Will not having it destroy resale value or make the car less appealing?

2) If I got a non S, how well do the smaller brakes perform? Are they inadequate for the car?

3) How long do the carbon brakes last (pads & rotors)? Apart from the high cost of the parts, is there anything special about the replacement process vs normal brakes? Is this something I can do on my own since I used to be master tech?

If you could share your input on these questions it'd be very helpful & very much appreciated. Thanks for your time & happy holidays.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by StatusQuoReject
Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions, it was very helpful. I meant to reply sooner but was out of the country on business & just got back.

So when you got your C63 in May, did you get an S or non S? What you said about the S being only marginally more expensive than a non S is true when buying used. Right now I'm trying to decide between two 2017 AMG C63 coupes both which are out of state & one is an S model...

1) 2017 Polar white non S w/ 15k miles for $53,500 before tax & fees.

Pros: Certified CPO, premium 2 package (Electronic Trunk Closer, Ambient Lighting, Hands-Free Access, Comand DVD Player, Comand w/Navigation and Voice Control, Power Folding Mirrors, Touchpad, Hands-Free Comfort Package), Performance exhaust, rear side airbags, and 19/20 AMG cross spoked forged wheels.

Cons: No HU display, has the standard seats w/ Dinamica fabric centers, no tech like Drivers Package/Distronic/Parking Assit Package/Active Lane assist etc.

2) Certified CPO 2017 Polar White C63S w/ 25k miles for $60k before taxes & fees.

Pros: Premium Package 3 + Active blindspot assist etc, Perform Exhaust, Parking Assist Package, 19/20 incch cross spoked rims, Silver Fiberglass trim, night package, Carbon brakes (but this actually seems a con since they're so expensive to replace).

Cons: Has the standard seats but they're at least in full leather w/ the embossed headrest + red/pepper detail + heated & ventilated. I do also consider the carbon brakes as kind of a con as well.

For only a $6-7K price diff it seems like the S is the better deal, but what bugs me is that it doesn't have the performance seats. How necessary would you say those are & how comfortable would you say they are? Would not having the performance seats really hamper resale value? I drive my cars hard & while I want comfort, I do feel like the regular seats wouldn't hold me as well but not sure (i'm 5'7 165 lbs & pretty muscular build.) I know it'd probably be more expensive to do so, but if bought a car w/ standard seats, is it even possible to swap out the seats at all? I know they'll have to be coded in, but are the brackets & electrical plug & play?

I was also wondering:

1) How imperative/useful is the tech like the Drivers Assistance Package / Parking package / Active lane & blind spot assist/ surround view camera etc. Does that stuff really help or work well enough that I shouldn't consider any C63 S or non S w/o it or is it more gimmicky than actual useful reliable tech & is just more stuff that might break in the long run? Will not having it destroy resale value or make the car less appealing?

2) If I got a non S, how well do the smaller brakes perform? Are they inadequate for the car?

3) How long do the carbon brakes last (pads & rotors)? Apart from the high cost of the parts, is there anything special about the replacement process vs normal brakes? Is this something I can do on my own since I used to be master tech?

If you could share your input on these questions it'd be very helpful & very much appreciated. Thanks for your time & happy holidays.
Yes, I got the S. Full spec is in my signature. I pretty much got every option, except for the carbon ceramic brakes and the HUD. With the 2019+, the big differentiator of the S is the new 9-stage traction control system from the GT R, which is awesome. It's the first such system that I feel works with me to get the most out of the car, rather than against me and killing the fun.

I love the driver assistance features, but the 2019 also got the latest system which works really well. It even can change lanes on its own. I've never experienced the older system, but the latest system is supposed to be significantly improved. I would never get a car again that doesn't at least have adaptive cruise control. For me, it makes a huge difference for long distance driving and the occasional times I find myself in traffic. Having full semi-automatic driving now takes it to a whole new level. It's nice to just let the car follow the traffic when the driving gets mundane.

I can't comment on how well the smaller brakes work. Part of the reason I got the S is because I drive it hard and often go to deserted canyon roads and let the dogs out so to speak. I'm a big believer in the saying that a car is only as good as its brakes, so the bigger brakes obviously will dissipate heat better and have more stopping power. I do find the carbon brakes to be overkill, though. First off they are only in the front. The rears are still the same iron brakes. They do last a very long time with normal driving. The rotors are supposed to last up to 100k miles. Pads will have to be replaced earlier, but the problem with the carbon brakes is that they can crack or chip if they get hit by something like debris on the road and then you are looking at an expensive repair. It costs around $10k to replace them and it's the rotors that are expensive. If you do it yourself, you only save on labor.

As for the seats, I'm a big fan of the performance seats. I think the standard seats don't do this car justice. They don't provide the lateral support I desire and just look kinda lame. They can be more comfortable, but I don't find the performance seats uncomfortable at all. The longest trip I did in them so far was almost 12 hours of driving in a single day, and I had no issues other than normal fatigue from sitting all day. The one thing to know, though, is prior to MY2019 they were not available with ventilation. You could only get them heated. The ventilation IMO makes a big difference in the summer months and when I'm working up a sweat in the canyons. Thankfully, starting with MY2019 ventilation is now an option. Oh for reference I'm 5'11" around 200 lbs. I'm not the fittest guy, but I regularly play tennis and have no back issues. I'm working on my fitness now trying to lower my weight and just get in better shape again, so it can only get better. My wife is a tiny and skinny 5'1" Asian women. The seats are not ideal for her due to the height and the fixed headrest, but she generally has issues with any car seats. In her car she sits on a cushion.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-27-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2019 c63s coupe with many options. Just for your reference the trade in value from dealer was 65k with 9000 miles. I think those examples seem fair in pricing.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:54 AM

2016 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, I got the S. Full spec is in my signature. I pretty much got every option, except for the carbon ceramic brakes and the HUD. With the 2019+, the big differentiator of the S is the new 9-stage traction control system from the GT R, which is awesome. It's the first such system that I feel works with me to get the most out of the car, rather than against me and killing the fun.

I love the driver assistance features, but the 2019 also got the latest system which works really well. It even can change lanes on its own. I've never experienced the older system, but the latest system is supposed to be significantly improved. I would never get a car again that doesn't at least have adaptive cruise control. For me, it makes a huge difference for long distance driving and the occasional times I find myself in traffic. Having full semi-automatic driving now takes it to a whole new level. It's nice to just let the car follow the traffic when the driving gets mundane.

I can't comment on how well the smaller brakes work. Part of the reason I got the S is because I drive it hard and often go to deserted canyon roads and let the dogs out so to speak. I'm a big believer in the saying that a car is only as good as its brakes, so the bigger brakes obviously will dissipate heat better and have more stopping power. I do find the carbon brakes to be overkill, though. First off they are only in the front. The rears are still the same iron brakes. They do last a very long time with normal driving. The rotors are supposed to last up to 100k miles. Pads will have to be replaced earlier, but the problem with the carbon brakes is that they can crack or chip if they get hit by something like debris on the road and then you are looking at an expensive repair. It costs around $10k to replace them and it's the rotors that are expensive. If you do it yourself, you only save on labor.

As for the seats, I'm a big fan of the performance seats. I think the standard seats don't do this car justice. They don't provide the lateral support I desire and just look kinda lame. They can be more comfortable, but I don't find the performance seats uncomfortable at all. The longest trip I did in them so far was almost 12 hours of driving in a single day, and I had no issues other than normal fatigue from sitting all day. The one thing to know, though, is prior to MY2019 they were not available with ventilation. You could only get them heated. The ventilation IMO makes a big difference in the summer months and when I'm working up a sweat in the canyons. Thankfully, starting with MY2019 ventilation is now an option. Oh for reference I'm 5'11" around 200 lbs. I'm not the fittest guy, but I regularly play tennis and have no back issues. I'm working on my fitness now trying to lower my weight and just get in better shape again, so it can only get better. My wife is a tiny and skinny 5'1" Asian women. The seats are not ideal for her due to the height and the fixed headrest, but she generally has issues with any car seats. In her car she sits on a cushion.
Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely leaning towards an S model since the price diff isn't that much. It's interesting how many people have diff opinions about the seats. I've sat in both, but not longer than 10 min. The performance seats look amazing, but they do feel like they can be a bit too tight. I'm vertically challenged so in terms of height I'm closer to your wife. I'm about 5'5 or 5'6 w/ shoes, I'm pretty fit & quite muscular w/ no back issues but I have had a hip replacement & I have the flattest *** in the world lol, so my butt does hurt quickly from sitting for extended periods of time & from hard surfaces. I want the comfort of the standard seats, but the performance seats look so damn good. My second car is an S2000 which has seats similar to the performance seats, they're not the worst, but not very comfortable after about an hour & a lot of people complain about them.

Car #3 has already had 2 owners & i'm worried what that'll do to resale value. Car #1 is nice & the cheapest & has the performance exhaust w/ premium package 2, but it's also not an S & has none of the drivers/parking/lane assistance stuff; but I do save $6k which can be used for other things like a tune or to pay towards the financing.

So far I really like car #2 (2017 Polar white C63S that's CPO & has 25K miles) & i'm getting it for $59,500 before fee's. It's pretty close to fully loaded, but has carbon brakes. I'm worried about the fragility & expense of the ceramic rotors but can't find much info on them or any real world experience with them for this car. Since they're a $5k option, I'd assume that the rotors cost closer to $2000 - 2500 each as opposed to $10K. Did you see them selling for $10K anywhere or do you know someone that spent that much on them?

Whether they cost $5k or $10K they seem like a huge liability. I really want this white C63S, but the carbon brakes & their cost & supposed fragility is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I know the brakes ideally will last around 80k -100k miles since I won't be tracking the car, but I don't want to have to spend $5k should I need to replace them & that should I choose to sell the car 4-5 years from now; no one will buy a car that has a $5k brake job coming up.

The dealership salesman asked one his techs if the carbon brakes can be swapped out for normal brakes & the tech said NO but didn't explain why. Do yo know if can just swap out the expensive ceramic rotors out for less expensive steel rotors while keeping the caliper & pads the same? Do you think the carbon brakes should be the reason I don't buy this car?

Would the car #1 or 2 be a better choice? Should I even care about how many previous owners a vehicle has had? Thanks.

Last edited by StatusQuoReject; 12-03-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:03 AM

2016 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by trovan
I have a 2019 c63s coupe with many options. Just for your reference the trade in value from dealer was 65k with 9000 miles. I think those examples seem fair in pricing.
thanks, that helps to see where pricing falls. Do you have the performance seats & if so, how would rate the comfort? How do you like your C63S so far & have you had any issues yet? what color did you get? Is there anything you regret or wish you had done differently? why did you go for the coupe vs the sedan? thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by StatusQuoReject
Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely leaning towards an S model since the price diff isn't that much. It's interesting how many people have diff opinions about the seats. I've sat in both, but not longer than 10 min. The performance seats look amazing, but they do feel like they can be a bit too tight. I'm vertically challenged so in terms of height I'm closer to your wife. I'm about 5'5 or 5'6 w/ shoes, I'm pretty fit & quite muscular w/ no back issues but I have had a hip replacement & I have the flattest *** in the world lol, so my butt does hurt quickly from sitting for extended periods of time & from hard surfaces. I want the comfort of the standard seats, but the performance seats look so damn good. My second car is an S2000 which has seats similar to the performance seats, they're not the worst, but not very comfortable after about an hour & a lot of people complain about them.

Car #3 has already had 2 owners & i'm worried what that'll do to resale value. Car #1 is nice & the cheapest & has the performance exhaust w/ premium package 2, but it's also not an S & has none of the drivers/parking/lane assistance stuff; but I do save $6k which can be used for other things like a tune or to pay towards the financing.

So far I really like car #2 (2017 Polar white C63S that's CPO & has 25K miles) & i'm getting it for $59,500 before fee's. It's pretty close to fully loaded, but has carbon brakes. I'm worried about the fragility & expense of the ceramic rotors but can't find much info on them or any real world experience with them for this car. Since they're a $5k option, I'd assume that the rotors cost closer to $2000 - 2500 each as opposed to $10K. Did you see them selling for $10K anywhere or do you know someone that spent that much on them?

Whether they cost $5k or $10K they seem like a huge liability. I really want this white C63S, but the carbon brakes & their cost & supposed fragility is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I know the brakes ideally will last around 80k -100k miles since I won't be tracking the car, but I don't want to have to spend $5k should I need to replace them & that should I choose to sell the car 4-5 years from now; no one will buy a car that has a $5k brake job coming up.

The dealership salesman asked one his techs if the carbon brakes can be swapped out for normal brakes & the tech said NO but didn't explain why. Do yo know if can just swap out the expensive ceramic rotors out for less expensive steel rotors while keeping the caliper & pads the same? Do you think the carbon brakes should be the reason I don't buy this car?

Would the car #1 or 2 be a better choice? Should I even care about how many previous owners a vehicle has had? Thanks.
Yeah, ultimately you have to be comfortable in the seats, but just so you know, the side bolsters are inflatable to make the seat tight or more loose for comfort. On the driver side both the upper side bolster for the back and the the lower ones for the upper legs are inflatable and for the passenger side only the upper ones for the back are inflatable. The first time I tried the seats I wasn't aware of this and the side bolster happened to be inflated all the way, so they were super tight. I only found out later that the side bolster can be adjusted. This can make a big difference. I generally have them fully deflated for regular driving and then fully inflate them when I hit up the canyons for even more lateral support. I don't find the seat cushion hard, but I don't particular have issues with that. I tend to prefer seats that are on the firmer side.

For the CCBs, keep in mind the $5000 for the option is only a delta on top of the regular iron brakes and for parts after the fact there is always a premium. The $10k figure is what I heard from folks who had to replace them. All parts generally are significantly more expensive compared to the option cost when ordering the car. With the CCBs there are also not really any aftermarket options, so you are stuck paying the overpriced OEM prices. With the iron brakes there are alternate and cheaper aftermarket options. Regarding downgrading them, I don't know specifically for the C63S, but I know people have done that on other cars and I also know of people who have upgraded iron brakes to CCBs later, or installed CCBs in the rear as well. I believe the E63S rear CCBs also fit the C63S. There are coding changes required as with the CCBs the brakes periodically get pressed against the rotors to heat them up because cold CCBs don't work so well. This will have to be coded out for the iron rotors, otherwise you end up with premature brake wear. You may want to go outside the dealership to a performance indy shop to get this done if you decide to go down this path. Typically dealerships are hesitant or refuse to do anything that deviates from the original spec of the car. They don't wanna be held liable or accountable if there are issues down the road.
StatusQuoReject (12-04-2019)