Sponsored by:

Just got AMG C 63S 2020 and it's slow.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C AMG 63S 2020
Just got AMG C 63S 2020 and it's slow.

Hi everyone, i hope I'm posting in the right section.

I just bought brand new C AMG 63S 2020 it’s a great car, but! Earlier I was driving C AMG 63 2020 for a month and that car felt so much more responsive and faster. On a new one i tried to do acceleration to 0 to 60 test today via Track Race - Drag Mode and it accelerated in 5:20 second.

Im thinking maybe I should take it to Mercedes Service and check with them? I tried Sport + and Racing mods, same thing. At times it take 1-2 seconds for a car to start accelerating.

any tips?
Old 12-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 465 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi!

Welcome to MBworld!

I moved your post to this forum for the C63S. Good luck with your questions.

Bob

The following users liked this post:
iKoshee (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
You need to brake it in first. Race Start is not available for the first 1000 miles for example. It will wake up once it's broken in and continuous to get better for the first few thousand miles. Don't go above 4000 rpm or WOT for the first 1000 miles, and Comfort mode only. These engines do not come broken in from the factory. They are only cold tested.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-29-2019 at 07:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
iKoshee (12-29-2019), OrientBlue3 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
i have been driving in C mode for the first 700+ miles. i’ve taken it out of C and gone to sport plus but only VERY briefly and not over 4500 RPM. yesterday, i went on a little drive around my area. i’m at the 800 mile mark and decided to take it out of C and play around a bit in race mode and sports plus. i didn’t abuse the car or redline but it was the first time i went to 5k RPM. i wasn’t babying it. the car is far from slow. be patient. as the miles add on, your car will open up, and will start to adapt to being driven the way it’s supposed to be driven. that’s my 2 cents at least...
iKoshee (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
also, probably wouldn’t be a great idea to take it to mercedes and let them know you have not been following break in procedure at all. i’m sure that’ll be noted and if (knock on wood) anything goes wrong, i wouldn’t want to be in your shoes.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Launch Control would not work, nor should you try it until the car is beyond the 1000 break in period. I wouldn’t tell the dealer at all.
iKoshee (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM

C AMG 63S 2020
Oh shoot, I didn’t know that and neither dealership told me about it. Thanks guys. But it still doesn’t explain why it’s slower than my previous AMG C63 that car was brand nee as well, unless they have higher limitations on S model? I guess I’ll need to wait until I hit 1000 miles on it.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by iKoshee
Hi everyone, i hope I'm posting in the right section.

I just bought brand new C AMG 63S 2020 it’s a great car, but! Earlier I was driving C AMG 63 2020 for a month and that car felt so much more responsive and faster. On a new one i tried to do acceleration to 0 to 60 test today via Track Race - Drag Mode and it accelerated in 5:20 second.

Im thinking maybe I should take it to Mercedes Service and check with them? I tried Sport + and Racing mods, same thing. At times it take 1-2 seconds for a car to start accelerating.

any tips?
I felt the same. I now have 6,000 miles on 2019 c63s coupe and after about 2,000 miles it became a dream to drive with everything broken in and responsive.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
You didn't mention how many miles you have on it. You need to get past the 1k mile mark. Drive hard/aggressive after that and the ECU will adapt to your style and you'll love it. I learned this when the AMG Shop Foreman said you drive this car fast/hard. I asked how he knew and he told me about how the ECU adapts to your style. Keep those RPMs up when you get there.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Watch this video. Watch how he does this at exactly 1,000 miles.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
You are in your break in period; Car will not have full power yet
Old 12-30-2019, 03:58 PM

C AMG 63S 2020
Thanks, everyone for the info. Still puzzled by why my previous one - non S model was more responsive and faster? Non S model was brand new as well and was below 500 miles mark, but it was so much more responsive, is the S model have higher limitations maybe if it's still under 1K miles. Just can't sleep well at night because of it you know. Definitely driving on C mode now. Got only 400+ miles.
jj18 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Thanks, everyone for the info. Still puzzled by why my previous one - non S model was more responsive and faster? Non S model was brand new as well and was below 500 miles mark, but it was so much more responsive, is the S model have higher limitations maybe if it's still under 1K miles. Just can't sleep well at night because of it you know. Definitely driving on C mode now. Got only 400+ miles.
At times I also feel my car is slower than it should be, but now that I have owned it for a few months, I believe what you are experiencing is the new traction control system. The S has a completely different traction control system. It's adjustable in 9-stages and it's the same system as in the AMG GT R. It works different from the more traditional traction controls system in the non-S. It doesn't retroactively scramble to gain traction by cutting engine power and using the brakes, instead it's proactive and regulates the engine torque to maintain the right amount of traction/slip, meaning if the rear wheels don't have enough traction it simple reduces engine output to avoid wheel slip, so the car may feel slow because there isn't enough traction to put the full power down. With ESP off you can manually select one of 9 levels using the rotary control on the steering wheel. With ESP on or in sport handling mode, the system chooses the level automatically. I've observed that with ESP on it pretty much doesn't allow any wheel slip and reduces the engine torque accordingly. If I want to drive the car hard, I put it in ESP sport handling mode, and it's very different then. It allows just enough wheel spin to get off the ground with maximum traction. The S has more torque and power and especially with brand new tires they'll loose grip much easier than the non S with less torque. I actually really like this new traction control system, although I wish I could configure the Individual mode to automatically activate sport handling mode. They got rid of that in the FL in favor of the new AMG DYNAMICS setting, which influences ESP and TC depending on what level you have it set to, but you can still get the car to act even more aggressive by setting ESP to sport handling mode or off in addition to the highest AMG DYNAMICS level. The thing is the S has so many ways to adjust it, that you need to spend some time with it once it's broken in and find your preferred modes.
fjp63amg (12-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:11 PM

C AMG 63S 2020
Originally Posted by superswiss
At times I also feel my car is slower than it should be, but now that I have owned it for a few months, I believe what you are experiencing is the new traction control system. The S has a completely different traction control system. It's adjustable in 9-stages and it's the same system as in the AMG GT R. It works different from the more traditional traction controls system in the non-S. It doesn't retroactively scramble to gain traction by cutting engine power and using the brakes, instead it's proactive and regulates the engine torque to maintain the right amount of traction/slip, meaning if the rear wheels don't have enough traction it simple reduces engine output to avoid wheel slip, so the car may feel slow because there isn't enough traction to put the full power down. With ESP off you can manually select one of 9 levels using the rotary control on the steering wheel. With ESP on or in sport handling mode, the system chooses the level automatically. I've observed that with ESP on it pretty much doesn't allow any wheel slip and reduces the engine torque accordingly. If I want to drive the car hard, I put it in ESP sport handling mode, and it's very different then. It allows just enough wheel spin to get off the ground with maximum traction. The S has more torque and power and especially with brand new tires they'll loose grip much easier than the non S with less torque. I actually really like this new traction control system, although I wish I could configure the Individual mode to automatically activate sport handling mode. They got rid of that in the FL in favor of the new AMG DYNAMICS setting, which influences ESP and TC depending on what level you have it set to, but you can still get the car to act even more aggressive by setting ESP to sport handling mode or off in addition to the highest AMG DYNAMICS level. The thing is the S has so many ways to adjust it, that you need to spend some time with it once it's broken in and find your preferred modes.
Thank you for your reply. How do you turn ESP off or chose the level? I never encountered any settings like that in the vehicle menu. I have limited knowledge on this, this is my first sports car and it seems like I still have few things to learn about it.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Thank you for your reply. How do you turn ESP off or chose the level? I never encountered any settings like that in the vehicle menu. I have limited knowledge on this, this is my first sports car and it seems like I still have few things to learn about it.
I would suggest you thoroughly read the owner's manual. It's all in there. But you control ESP using the dedicated button in the center console or you can put the function on one of the two programmable soft touch buttons on the steering wheel. A short single press activates sport handling mode, and if you press and hold it for a couple of seconds it turns ESP off completely. Once it's off completely you'll notice the display of the drive mode selector on the steering changes and now you can change the TC level by turning the knob left and right. All the way to the left is completely off and all the way to the right is completely on. If I remember correctly it sets itself to level 5 initially.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Also, here's an explanation of the AMG DYNAMICS system. It's new for the FL C63 and AMG GT's. This is not really explained in the owner's manual.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...l?oid=42956027
Old 12-30-2019, 08:51 PM

C AMG 63S 2020
Originally Posted by superswiss
I would suggest you thoroughly read the owner's manual. It's all in there. But you control ESP using the dedicated button in the center console or you can put the function on one of the two programmable soft touch buttons on the steering wheel. A short single press activates sport handling mode, and if you press and hold it for a couple of seconds it turns ESP off completely. Once it's off completely you'll notice the display of the drive mode selector on the steering changes and now you can change the TC level by turning the knob left and right. All the way to the left is completely off and all the way to the right is completely on. If I remember correctly it sets itself to level 5 initially.

Oh wow, thanks a lot. I'll read the manual. I would not know about it without you guys!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Are tires warmed up? What PSI are you running?
Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 AM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
My 2 Cents, just be patient and get to know the car.
As mentioned earlier, full power comes on as you pile on the mileage.
This is new to the facelift.