Sponsored by:

Turbo blankets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63S Coupe
Turbo blankets

Has anyone installed turbo blankets? I'm curious about experience with the hot-v configuration or if there's a concern about overheating the turbine side of the turbos. I had a turbo blankets on my 30R in my STI and it made a huge difference in under hood temps.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
If you remember the early BMW X5M's, you might remember they were small block V8's (4.4L) with twin turbos mounted inside the V. I understand there have been issues with blown head gaskets and warped heads due to the excessive heat.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:22 PM

17 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
If you remember the early BMW X5M's, you might remember they were small block V8's (4.4L) with twin turbos mounted inside the V. I understand there have been issues with blown head gaskets and warped heads due to the excessive heat.
Turbo blankets contain heat, acting as an insulator between the turbine housing and the rest of the engine bay... they would help with problems like that. My question is more along the lines if anyone has done it on these engines because I'm curious how well the hot-v configuration (which is what you outline in your post) responds to such a mod.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 PM

17 C63S Coupe
Nobody? This seems like a particularly good mod for these cars if there's no worries of cooking the turbos... the underhood temps on this car are insane. Maybe I'll just try it out myself.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
W205 C63s 2015
Heat blankets

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
Nobody? This seems like a particularly good mod for these cars if there's no worries of cooking the turbos... the underhood temps on this car are insane. Maybe I'll just try it out myself.
The E63 comes with it from the factory and I think some of the GT models as well, Merc uses an adhesive type reflective tape on the hot side which if they are doing from the factory you can be sure it does give benefits
Old 01-08-2020, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
Has anyone installed turbo blankets? I'm curious about experience with the hot-v configuration or if there's a concern about overheating the turbine side of the turbos. I had a turbo blankets on my 30R in my STI and it made a huge difference in under hood temps.
Definitely a good idea. Id be interested in getting them for my coupe. Just no idea which ones or what size tbh
Old 01-11-2020, 03:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE63s
Look up Zac motorsports they starting to do turbo blankets.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:05 PM

17 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Phat63s
Look up Zac motorsports they starting to do turbo blankets.
Where did you see that? I haven't been able to find any information about it.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE63s
Check out there Instagram
Old 01-13-2020, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63 ED1
Hey guys, yes we have been working on a blanket for the turbos. They will be available early March. We found 2 blankets to be quite impossible to fit especially for those with larger turbos. Our blanket covers both, it will not wrap around the bottom of the turbo. But testing still found reduced under bonnet temps and further heat shielding.
The following users liked this post:
Cylinder Head (03-31-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by ZACCOMPOSITES
Hey guys, yes we have been working on a blanket for the turbos. They will be available early March. We found 2 blankets to be quite impossible to fit especially for those with larger turbos. Our blanket covers both, it will not wrap around the bottom of the turbo. But testing still found reduced under bonnet temps and further heat shielding.
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing pictures and updates on testing plus pricing.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 PM

17 C63S Coupe
Makes sense. I'm excited to see what you come up with. Any progress on the heat shields for your intakes? I saw them on your Instagram, but there's no information readily apparent on your site.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
I think it would help temps but wonder about that heat building up in heads/etc and causing trouble.

I think a heat extractor on the rear of hood right over the turbos would be interesting but for a DD I wonder if water dripping on the turbos could be a proble.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:59 PM

Mercedes C63
So you've come across two blanket models that would be suitable for the stock turbo's? I have zero intention of upgrading turbo's and have been looking recently for some online.....please DM me those options if don't mind.

Or if anyone else has come across ones that will work, would appreciate the help!
Old 01-15-2020, 05:54 PM

Received 385 Likes on 246 Posts
I don't get it ... I've felt the hood on my 2016 C63 S sedan when returning to the pits after a 20-min. on-track session (with a cooldown lap) and found that the hood doesn't get any hotter than it would if the car was black and it sat in the noon-day sun. I believe the AMG engineers have considered this issue (du-oh!) and that's why the fan often runs after shutting the car off (i.e., to cool down the turbos, etc.).

Has anybody found that their hood gets excessively hot in the area above the turbos?
Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 PM

Mercedes C63
I'm sure the engineer's looked into the placement of the turbos and effects of heat dispersion around them, and found that everything was suitable. However, the final production car has had MANY people look over it. Those engineers also work side by side with "the accountants" that cost analyze every single part of a car....and at the end of the day, the final product still does its job. There wouldn't be this huge aftermarket industry if every vehicle was the perfect version of itself.

The Engineering Explained video that references the University of Austin's study on turbo blankets is pretty interesting, if you haven't seen it. From that study, turbo blankets have a noticeable impact on the efficiency of turbos, more so than I thought.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 AM

2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by user33
I don't get it ... I've felt the hood on my 2016 C63 S sedan when returning to the pits after a 20-min. on-track session (with a cooldown lap) and found that the hood doesn't get any hotter than it would if the car was black and it sat in the noon-day sun. I believe the AMG engineers have considered this issue (du-oh!) and that's why the fan often runs after shutting the car off (i.e., to cool down the turbos, etc.).

Has anybody found that their hood gets excessively hot in the area above the turbos?
Feeling the hood won't tell you anything about how hot the engine Bay air temp is. Only how well the hood metal is insulated from that engine Bay air.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 AM

W205 C63 ED1
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
I think it would help temps but wonder about that heat building up in heads/etc and causing trouble.

I think a heat extractor on the rear of hood right over the turbos would be interesting but for a DD I wonder if water dripping on the turbos could be a proble.
Actually check our Instagram for a rear bonnet seal hack exactly for this reason.
The turbos are simply too close for 2 individual blankets. You have a wastegate actuator in the way too. Our blanket will cover both turbos around the top and down the sides. And still fits under the stock shield. Spool time is hard to measure on a dyno. But heat is inevitably reduced and all that heat is now going out the exhaust and keeping that hot air nice and expanded when you want it. Props to the guy who mentioned "engineering explained" get on YouTube and feel out on that channel!
Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 AM

W205 C63 ED1

Actually check our Instagram for a rear bonnet seal hack exactly for this reason.
The turbos are simply too close for 2 individual blankets. You have a wastegate actuator in the way too. Our blanket will cover both turbos around the top and down the sides. And still fits under the stock shield. Spool time is hard to measure on a dyno. But heat is inevitably reduced and all that heat is now going out the exhaust and keeping that hot air nice and expanded when you want it. Props to the guy who mentioned "engineering explained" get on YouTube and feel out on that channel!
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM

Mercedes C63
Looking forward to that snail blanket
Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 PM

'16 A45 '19 C63S Coupe
What I did was remove the rubber seal, reinsert it out of the way and then use some gorilla tape to tape the excess to the existing seal that seals up the bonnet. Should work fine unless you have very old rubber seals that are hardened.

Testing requests from me...
1. Do you think there is any benefit to removing the rubber seal at the front of the hood? I notice that is the general area where the car sucks up its juicy intake air.
2. Similar vein, is there any benefit to sticking the center air guide open at all times (probably in conjunction with a turbo blanket). Further airflow over the top of the engine would probably cool the rear (intake) side of the turbos even more.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:52 PM

W205 C63 ED1
Originally Posted by illuzn
What I did was remove the rubber seal, reinsert it out of the way and then use some gorilla tape to tape the excess to the existing seal that seals up the bonnet. Should work fine unless you have very old rubber seals that are hardened.

Testing requests from me...
1. Do you think there is any benefit to removing the rubber seal at the front of the hood? I notice that is the general area where the car sucks up its juicy intake air.
2. Similar vein, is there any benefit to sticking the center air guide open at all times (probably in conjunction with a turbo blanket). Further airflow over the top of the engine would probably cool the rear (intake) side of the turbos even more.
I would leave the front end alone. The seal forces air to go into the tubes to feed the air boxes or intakes. with our new heat shields and turbo blankets we are testing keeping the flap at the front closed actually. Forcing more air to the intakes.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:27 PM

2017 AMG C63
Propping open the flap in the front or removing the front seals could cause problems with too much water getting in the intake.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:30 AM

'16 A45 '19 C63S Coupe
I would leave the front end alone. The seal forces air to go into the tubes to feed the air boxes or intakes. with our new heat shields and turbo blankets we are testing keeping the flap at the front closed actually. Forcing more air to the intakes.
You mean this seal?

All it does is seal the gap between the hood and the front end? Seems like a more direct route for cold air to get to the intakes to me (rather than around the lower radiators and into the intakes) - with the suction generated by the turbos it just seems to make sense to do this.

I did both mods at once, so I can see how propping that vent open may do nothing (especially because its the hot side of the turbos that face forward. That said, I am noticing betwen 2-3 Celcius lower intake temps generally speaking with those 2 mods done.

Propping open the flap in the front or removing the front seals could cause problems with too much water getting in the intake.
Not sure how opening the flap would do that but sure removing that front seal might. I'm okay with the risk though because the intake channel is very long from that point and any solid droplets are likely to be turned into a fine mist by the time it even gets near the air filter let alone the turbo. Sure if you get a hose and spray it directly into that gap you might have a problem (or if it is torrentially raining and you are boosting hard), but I really can't see how this is any worse than peopl that use water injection to lower intake air temps.