C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a new C63s Coupe Tomorrow - Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
Ordering a new C63s Coupe Tomorrow - Advice?

Planning on ordering a 2020 C63s coupe tomorrow if the numbers work. Open to any advice from those who have ordered. What are your lessons learned? Also interested in your thoughts on the L6K steering wheel that is part leather and part Dinamica (will be a daily driver so concerned about long term usage). I have suede on the Lambo steering wheel and it's very hard to keep nice. I would go with the L6J steering wheel which is all leather but is not color coded on the C63s from my understanding. Thanks much!!

Last edited by KCviper; 01-09-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe, 2016 C63s Sedan
I have the L6K on my 2016 and I ordered the L6J on my 2020. I prefer the all leather version. The order guide states that it is not color coded, but I have the red pepper interior and the steering wheel came with the matching red stripe at 12 o'clock. I can't speak for the other interior color options..
Old 01-09-2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dasani
I have the L6K on my 2016 and I ordered the L6J on my 2020. I prefer the all leather version. The order guide states that it is not color coded, but I have the red pepper interior and the steering wheel came with the matching red stripe at 12 o'clock. I can't speak for the other interior color options..
That is good to know as I am leaning towards the red pepper sport seats and want the color matching stitching and 12 o'clock stripe!! Thank you.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:33 PM

Oh! Forgot abut the stitching being different. Yes, it has red stitching on the steering that matches the dash/seat/door stitching.
The following users liked this post:
cjqamg (04-17-2022)
Old 01-09-2020, 11:45 PM

Perfect! Wonder why the configurator indicates this is only available for the C43.....makes no sense. Glad to know it is all color matching! Thanks.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Unless you get carbon interior then you lose red stitching on steering wheel plus the red center strip (on the wheel as well).
Old 01-09-2020, 11:56 PM

I have the black ash wood & aluminum interior. Maybe it's a US configuration thing...

Last edited by Dasani; 01-09-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,708 Likes on 2,474 Posts
2019 C63CS
That may be a bad translation in the DOG regarding L6J. In the US online confgurator it has the red 12o'clock marker if you pick the Red Pepper interior, but it doesn't seem to have the matching color marking if you pick an other interior such as the Black w/ Yellow Stitching. I test drove a '19 C63S Coupe last year and it had the L6J steering wheel, carbon fiber trim and Red Pepper interior and as far as I recall, the steering wheel had the red marker and stitching. Regarding the upkeep of Dynamica, that's somewhat of a subjective matter. I have the L6G full Dynamica steering wheel and so far after 10k miles still looks like new and I haven't cleaned it once yet. I generally don't have sweaty/oily hands and I wash them regularly multiple times a day, especially before getting into my car. I hate touching stuff with dirty hands in general. I do wear driving gloves, though, when I hit up the canyons and work up a sweat.

In terms of lessons learned, the AMG Aerodynamics Package looks awesome, but if you get the carbon fiber 2 exterior package, the side-sills remain gloss black. I believe that's actually clarified in the 2020 DOG now. The disappointing part is that the Aero side-sills are cheaply made, or at least cheaply attached and seem to start to come off after a while. Mine started to come off around 5k miles. I had the car in before Christmas to get them fixed. They had to replace the rocker panels and put new side-sills on it, but they did a ****ty job on the passenger side and it's poorly fitted with gaps and already loose in the back. The whole thing is a body shop job. The car goes back on Tuesday to redo the passenger side. So this is a bit of a PITA, but the car looks so much better with the Aero package, that I can overlook the trouble with the side-sills and I have also come to accept that they are not carbon fiber.

The other lesson learned is that the AMG Performance Seats are not uncomfortable as some might make one believe as long as you are used to aggressive sport seats and don't have any ailments. Compared to other aggressive sport seats I had in my previous cars, these are some of the best seats I've ever owned. I use the car as a grand tourer and have already twice driven for nearly 12 hours in one day and I love these seats.

Other thoughts are more confirmation that I chose all the right options. I especially love the Driving Assistance Package on long trips and in traffic. I might not get the carbon exterior packages next time. They are kinda pricey and with a black car, you have to be up close to actually notice it. It does add some visual appeal, but I don't think it's worth the money. Otherwise I pretty much checked every option, except CCBs and HUD. I continue to maintain that CCBs are total overkill for the street and I'm not a fan of the HUD. I think the HUD is fundamentally flawed technology. I wear polarized sunglasses to filter out glare from the windshield, and the HUD is all glare, so it gets filtered out and becomes useless. I'll wait until car manufacturers actually integrate display technology into the windshields.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
i love my 2020 C63S coupe and personally the only thing i might have changed were the performance seats. after driving my f10 m5 for the last few days, i must say, i am starting to dislike the seats in the m5 due to the fact that they are not the performance seats in the c63 lol. the seats are definitely growing on me, and i am rarely uncomfortable in them anymore. as far as packages go, i pretty much got every package available including carbon ceramic brakes. probably would do without those if i could turn back time as i find they aren't mandatory really, but it definitely enhances the look of the car. Otherwise. personally i would definitely go all carbon fiber on the inside, including the steering wheel.

mandatory options (IMO)
-night package
-aerodynamics package
-HUD
-12.3 digital instrument cluster
-parking assist package
-multimedia package

Last edited by Stevestil; 01-10-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
Cool

Originally Posted by Stevestil
i love my 2020 C63S coupe and personally the only thing i might have changed were the performance seats. after driving my f10 m5 for the last few days, i must say, i am starting to dislike the seats in the m5 due to the fact that they are not the performance seats in the c63 lol. the seats are definitely growing on me, and i am rarely uncomfortable in them anymore. as far as packages go, i pretty much got every package available including carbon ceramic brakes. probably would do without those if i could turn back time as i find they aren't mandatory really, but it definitely enhances the look of the car. Otherwise. personally i would definitely go all carbon fiber on the inside, including the steering wheel.

mandatory options (IMO)
-night package
-aerodynamics package
-HUD
-12.3 digital instrument cluster
-parking assist package
-multimedia package
I would add any package starting with performance to it....seats, exhaust.... :-)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
Originally Posted by tobeit
I would add any package starting with performance to it....seats, exhaust.... :-)

performance exhaust is now a standard option so he doesnt have to worry about that
Old 01-10-2020, 02:30 PM

I'm on the fence about the Adaptive lighting and HUD. Not really interested in Drivers Assistance Pkg or the exterior carbon, including brakes, but will order it for the interior. Yes to almost everything else including Perf seats, Aero Pkg, Night Pkg., Multimedia, Parking Assistance, 12.3 digital instruments, ventilated seats, black cross spoke rims. I've gone back and forth on the Performance Seats. The seats in my current 2009 C63 seem to have more bolstering than these new performance seats so I think they will be fine. I have sat in both and have to admit that the comfort seats feel great! Thanks so much for the feedback!
Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Originally Posted by KCviper
I'm on the fence about the Adaptive lighting and HUD. Not really interested in Drivers Assistance Pkg or the exterior carbon, including brakes, but will order it for the interior. Yes to almost everything else including Perf seats, Aero Pkg, Night Pkg., Multimedia, Parking Assistance, 12.3 digital instruments, ventilated seats, black cross spoke rims. I've gone back and forth on the Performance Seats. The seats in my current 2009 C63 seem to have more bolstering than these new performance seats so I think they will be fine. I have sat in both and have to admit that the comfort seats feel great! Thanks so much for the feedback!
Adaptive lighting is a must imo. It works very well and also improves the exterior look of the car visually. The added light show it does on start-up and on auto highbeam activation (it turns on by spreading the light out like a curtain) is a nice touch too.

No need for HUD either with the nice new digital dash
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
For $900 I would not skip the Exterior Lighting Package. The upgraded headlights are phenomenal, turning night into day and yes optically they look a lot better. Unfortunately, we don't get the full functionality of them in the USA currently due to some outdated DOT regulations that are supposed to be revised this year. In Europe these lights darken the areas of oncoming traffic so you can illuminate the area in front of the car with full force w/o blinding oncoming cars. For now we have to make due with simulated automatic high beams, which also work quite well as they are not just turning on/off, but instead it lengthens and shortens the beam in increments. It's the same hardware as the European headlights, so I'm secretly hoping MB will eventually release a software update and give us the full functionality once the regulations are in place.

As for the Driver Assistance Pkg, keep in mind there is more to it than the obvious. It actually improves the automatic braking features and makes them work better and more sophisticated, including adding capabilities to react to stationary objects even pedestrians and adds things like evasive steering assist, congestion emergency braking etc. I think it's a great piece of mind to have, even if you don't plan on using the semi-autonomous driving features. The latter are great, though, especially in stop&go traffic. I miss it now in cars that don't have it.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Not sure about 2019 and up but when I purchased mine in 2018 the performance seats could not be ordered with the ventilation option...they are not equipped for that, I guess too thin. Some nice side effect of the performance seats, in addition to the great comfort and tight grip they give me, you gain some leg room in the rear as they are thinner....an inch or so make a big difference for a 6ft + guy in the rear.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:58 PM

The 2020's with performance seats can be ordered with the heating and ventilation option, which I really like!!
Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The 2020's with performance seats can be ordered with the heating and ventilation option, which I really like!!
+1... and I wouldn't get them without ventilation. It's a long overdue addition to the performance seats. Also, I haven't really verified this, but it feels like the 2019+ Performance Seats are slightly wider and more comfortable with the side bolsters completely deflated. Maybe it's my imagination, but the seats immediately felt more roomy compared to the 2018s I test drove.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
+1... and I wouldn't get them without ventilation. It's a long overdue addition to the performance seats. Also, I haven't really verified this, but it feels like the 2019+ Performance Seats are slightly wider and more comfortable with the side bolsters completely deflated. Maybe it's my imagination, but the seats immediately felt more roomy compared to the 2018s I test drove.
Now, that I agree with - wish I had the ventilated performance seat option here in Florida...and if the bolsters would move out a little further for the days you dont want to be too snug. Glad to learn MB listens and tweaks even details like that.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I honestly like all the options I configured for my built and if I do a 2020 built (which most likely will), I'll probably do the same config except I'll also add wireless charging. Below is my built:B26 AMG Aerodynamics Package (Must have)
H73 AMG Carbon Fiber Trim (gives it a nice touch with my configuration)
L6G AMG Performance Steering Wheel in DINAMICA (with yellow stitching)

RSW 19" AMG Twin 5-Spoke Wheels (went basic here since I'm using Vorsteiner VFF-103; generally not a big fan of Merc Wheels but I may change my mind one day)
U25 AMG Illuminated Door Sills (Must Have)
U78 AMG Performance Exhaust System (comes standard for our cars now which is muted compared to pre-facelift due to regulations...)
555 AMG Performance Seats
401 Heated &Ventilated Front Seats
Uph : 858 Magma Grey/Black Nap
463 Head-Up Display
464 12.3" Digital Instrument Cluster
521 AMG Night Package
877 64-Color Ambient Lighting (Must have)
996 Parking Assistance Package
997 Driver Assistance Package
Paint 1 : 149 Polar White
Old 01-10-2020, 07:06 PM

Did some site research on the Exterior Lighting Package. Sorry if this has been covered, but are the LED's with this package actually brighter than the "standard lighting"? I understand the cornering help and high/low assist.....does the package help with anything else? Are the beams wider? Thanks and sorry...I've seen these at night so don't have any comparison.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Did some site research on the Exterior Lighting Package. Sorry if this has been covered, but are the LED's with this package actually brighter than the "standard lighting"? I understand the cornering help and high/low assist.....does the package help with anything else? Are the beams wider? Thanks and sorry...I've seen these at night so don't have any comparison.
I don't know how they compare in brightness and I haven't seen any comparison, but they are fundamentally built different. They use something like 86 or so LEDs arranged in a matrix. The standard LED lights use fewer LEDs. The beam pattern isn't necessarily wider, because of the regulations, but due to its adaptive nature it can shine the light where it's needed. In a turn it can illuminate into the turn ultimately giving you better visibility of where you are going and with the adaptive high beams on you can essentially maximize the illumination and let it adjust depending on oncoming traffic. Even if it's not brighter per say, being able to illuminate the area in front of the car more effectively gives you better visibility.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C63WS
Get the aero pack and digital dash for sure. Only option I didnt get that I wish I had was the wireless charging pad.... just seems cool.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Cascade1
Get the aero pack and digital dash for sure. Only option I didnt get that I wish I had was the wireless charging pad.... just seems cool.
Look here: https://www.carqiwireless.com/produc...saAqh8EALw_wcB