Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things that Rattle in our Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2020 | 11:10 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by C63_01
Dont forget the rattle from the Pano sunroof. Have taken mine in and they replaced all the seals and some other parts (had to leave for the whole week at the dealership). They also replaced some clips in the headliner. Noise went away for about a month or so. Then came back and is now even louder. I am thinking of installing my own secondary weather striping on roof below the sunroof to hopefully quiet it down.
I had my 2019 C63S coupe at MB Dealership mid June regarding rattles coming from 2 seperate areas. The first was coming from the Rear View mirror cover and the second was a rattle coming from the right corner passenger dash and would stop when I opened the sunroof to the tilt position.
The First: The Rear View mirror cover was removed, apply fabric tape to all contact points and spray MB special sliding compound lubricant to all points. The rattle is still there as it comes and goes depending on road conditions. The next time I'm at MB Dealership I'll ask to have them replace the Rear View Mirror cover.
The Second: Rattle from right corner of passenger dash. MB replaced rubber seal for wind-up window right roof frame replaced.....Right front upper door seal was deformed. Replaced right front upper door seal. This seemed to have fixed the rattle from this area. Been over a month and no rattles.
Attached Invoice shows what work was done and hopefully can help others with similar rattles issues in these areas.

Last edited by jj18; 07-27-2020 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2020 | 09:04 AM

2020 Range Rover Sport P525 Dynamic
So have the same issue. With the sunroof in tilt position the rattle goes away. In regular open or close, it rattles. So I figured, the rattle is most likely from the rear of the sunroof and is coming because it moving around when its flat. I went ahead and put a secondary weather striping behind the factory weather strip on the sunroof. The rattle seems to have come down by a good 75-80%. I actually ran out of weather stripping so I couldn't do the whole sunroof. Prob will go buy some more from Autozone (where it I bought from before as well) and install more secondary weather striping around the sunroof.

Next rattle I need to tackle is the the trim/headliner that the passenger side seatbelt is coming out of (so not the seatbelt actually hitting the AMG seats which have plastic sides).
Old 08-05-2020 | 11:14 PM

amg C63s
Talking

Originally Posted by superswiss
I actually ended up ordering some adhesive backed felt sheets, cut out the right shapes and covered all the hard plastic surfaces inside the holder. The issue is that the small rubber mat in there doesn't extend to the front and above, so the sunglasses rattle against the exposed hard plastic surfaces. It's completely quiet now and I can finally use it to store my sunglasses when I'm not using them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had some of the same tape for the same purpose but never got around to do it. Did it several days ago – rattle is gone. I was surprised to discover that what I thought was a rattle from the passenger seat was related to the sunglass holder. Cross my fingers, with the above fixes that I mentioned earlier I now have a rattle/squeak free C63s. Nothing to distract me from the driving experience of the car.

Last edited by mstraka; 08-05-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2020 | 11:40 PM

2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2021 GLS63, 2020 McLaren 600LT Spider
Everything.
Old 08-06-2020 | 09:11 AM

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
My cabriolet had a dash rattle so I complained when I took it in this week for an alignment and they seem to have fixed it. They also replaced my battery under warranty because I have been getting the battery icon error on startup when the car sits for 3-4 days.

Alignment was because I just replaced all four tires and the place that did the tires doesn’t do alignments.

Anyway, I drove home on the crappy roads in sport+ mode with the top up just to make sure there were no more rattles so I’m happy. They didn’t clean the inside of the windshield though and there are smudges all over it on the inside.
The following users liked this post:
jj18 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020 | 10:33 AM

ED1 e63S
Nav screen and B pillar
Old 08-06-2020 | 06:38 PM

amg C63s
After three weeks with no rattles/buzzes from the dash and heads up display. I am impressed with the work of the technician that solved this problem. I text my Mercecdes 'service ambassador' (what a bs term) and told her please let the technician know, who solved my rattle problem, that I am most happy and impressed with the way he was able to solve the problem. I hope he does get my kudos. Nowdays in our faceless and impersonal way, when doing things well, a compliment on a job well done is most important.
jj18 (08-06-2020)
Old 09-25-2020 | 01:48 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by mstraka
After three weeks with no rattles/buzzes from the dash and heads up display. I am impressed with the work of the technician that solved this problem. I text my Mercecdes 'service ambassador' (what a bs term) and told her please let the technician know, who solved my rattle problem, that I am most happy and impressed with the way he was able to solve the problem. I hope he does get my kudos. Nowdays in our faceless and impersonal way, when doing things well, a compliment on a job well done is most important.
Just got my car back from the Dealership on friday after 10 days. It was the 3rd time for a.rattle coming from rear view mirror area/ front dashboard passenger side.
While it did not drive me crazy I did want it corrected.
After taking all the steps listed on the Invoice (3 photos) below it was determined the rattle was coming from the drip rail passenger side roof . The part was replaced and aft er r another test drive by the AMG Tech. stated no more rattle.
SA stated that if rattle continues the next step would be removing the Headliner and would need the car for 2 weeks.
After driving for 5 days , 4 days were void of any rattles and none from the rear view mirror area. NYC area roads.
Also, while at Dealership had 2 software updates performed for 2019 C63s coupe.
Let see what. The car runs great.
Those with rattle issues can see the process the Tech did. Note photos are out of sequence.

did.

Last edited by jj18; 09-25-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2020 | 08:49 AM

amg C63s
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mstraka
9-25-20 - rattles have not returned.
The following 2 users liked this post by mstraka:
FLC63s (09-25-2020), jj18 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020 | 09:05 AM

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Just to give an update, my dash rattle was not fixed. I took it back for the third time and this time I drove with the technician and he heard the rattle. I mentioned that I thought it might have been coming from the strut tower bracing but I didn’t notice anything that felt loose around there. Turned out I was right, he checked the torque on the strut tower bracing and found one of them was not torqued down to the proper spec, maybe it had loosened up? I don’t know but he torqued them all to spec and the noise is gone. It has been a few weeks and no more rattle.

So, if you have a constant dash rattle you might check your strut tower bracing to see if that is the cause.
FLC63s (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020 | 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by SDRider
Just to give an update, my dash rattle was not fixed. I took it back for the third time and this time I drove with the technician and he heard the rattle. I mentioned that I thought it might have been coming from the strut tower bracing but I didn’t notice anything that felt loose around there. Turned out I was right, he checked the torque on the strut tower bracing and found one of them was not torqued down to the proper spec, maybe it had loosened up? I don’t know but he torqued them all to spec and the noise is gone. It has been a few weeks and no more rattle.

So, if you have a constant dash rattle you might check your strut tower bracing to see if that is the cause.
awesome news