C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to increase sound without voiding warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:29 PM

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTC
Any way to increase sound without voiding warranty?

Not quite ready.. yet, but have been thinking and want opinions.
I have a 2016 W205 C63S that just hit 8K miles. I have a 5 year / 60K mile extended warranty.

Is there any way to get more sound without voiding the warranty?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 c63s amg sedan
I am interested in what the options are as well.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Get a valve control module
The following users liked this post:
OrientBlue3 (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
Get a quality Catted Downpipes. Either GESi or HJS cats. You shouldn’t have any issues. Reality is that if anything is modded even a little, dealer will try to blame it for the issue. You just have to be ready for it.... Mentally and financially.....
Old 06-21-2020, 07:04 PM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by skim7x
Get a valve control module
Won't work, I do not have the performance exhaust.

Originally Posted by elitex
Get a quality Catted Downpipes. Either GESi or HJS cats. You shouldn’t have any issues. Reality is that if anything is modded even a little, dealer will try to blame it for the issue. You just have to be ready for it.... Mentally and financially.....
Thank you for the suggestion, but nah! The whole point is trying to find something.. anything.. that won't lead to voiding my warranty. If there isn't even the smallest way of doing this, then I will just leave it as be.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Go Dawgs
Won't work, I do not have the performance exhaust.

Thank you for the suggestion, but nah! The whole point is trying to find something.. anything.. that won't lead to voiding my warranty. If there isn't even the smallest way of doing this, then I will just leave it as be.
Yeah, I don’t think mods are for you. Even valve controller can possibly affect warranty if you forget to unplug and dealer sees it (I realize you don’t have a performance exhaust).
Old 06-22-2020, 04:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 C63 S
Get a secondary cat delete, these cats are behind the O2 sensor so will not throw a CEL and they must be able to prove the modification caused the problem which I doubt a 2nd cat delete will cause any problems to engine or its accessories. Look up some threads, everyone was extremely happy with this modification. ALOT of people have done this mod
Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 AM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by kusn_w204
Get a secondary cat delete, these cats are behind the O2 sensor so will not throw a CEL and they must be able to prove the modification caused the problem which I doubt a 2nd cat delete will cause any problems to engine or its accessories. Look up some threads, everyone was extremely happy with this modification. ALOT of people have done this mod
I've really considering it. I've gone to a few shops and talked to them about doing it. This was before I realized it (might) void a warranty , though. I'm thinking this might be my best option as well.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63 AMG COUPE
I've really considering it. I've gone to a few shops and talked to them about doing it. This was before I realized it (might) void a warranty , though. I'm thinking this might be my best option as well.

I was in the same situation as you, deleted the 2ndary cats and wow !! Big difference ( even in comfort ) and took in my 2017c63 in for service and no mentions or coments from dealer about this. I also dont have the PE, in other words this is yout best way to go.......
Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 AM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by Enrique Borunda
I was in the same situation as you, deleted the 2ndary cats and wow !! Big difference ( even in comfort ) and took in my 2017c63 in for service and no mentions or coments from dealer about this. I also dont have the PE, in other words this is yout best way to go.......
Thanks for the input! Did they drop your exhaust to do the job?
Old 06-22-2020, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Not quite ready.. yet, but have been thinking and want opinions.
I have a 2016 W205 C63S that just hit 8K miles. I have a 5 year / 60K mile extended warranty.

Is there any way to get more sound without voiding the warranty?

Thanks guys.
Not sure why you wonder about that when your warranty is about to expire? Also looks you barely drive your car (8k in 4 years). I did see you now consider removing the secondary cat's...well, that for sure will be reason for shop to dispute any warranty claims (no matter if justified or not). The ASR is a nice little touch but does not make it louder per se,,,just makes it more rumble at low RPM (I have my ASR open all the time).
Old 06-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63 AMG COUPE
Thanks for the input! Did they drop your exhaust to do the job?
NOPE, the guy just cut away and i went home with my two cats 30 minutes later and a kick *** sound. Dont think twice, go for it !!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:47 AM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by tobeit
Not sure why you wonder about that when your warranty is about to expire? Also looks you barely drive your car (8k in 4 years). I did see you now consider removing the secondary cat's...well, that for sure will be reason for shop to dispute any warranty claims (no matter if justified or not). The ASR is a nice little touch but does not make it louder per se,,,just makes it more rumble at low RPM (I have my ASR open all the time).
I have an extended warranty for 5 years / 60K miles. It's good until 2025. Therein lies the dilemma.

My local MB dealership offers performance upgrades (downpipes, tunes, etc). Wonder if they would honor warranty work if you paid their ridiculous price tag for downpipes.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
I have an extended warranty for 5 years / 60K miles. It's good until 2025. Therein lies the dilemma.

My local MB dealership offers performance upgrades (downpipes, tunes, etc). Wonder if they would honor warranty work if you paid their ridiculous price tag for downpipes.
Oh got it, so you bought another 5 years before the original 5 years were up? I was basing it on the 2016 date you gave.

In any case, certainly would not hurt to ask. I tried to get a similar commitment from a MB dealer who says they are authorized to do RennTech upgrades...I ask Renntech directly and they, surprisingly, told me dont count on it. I never got the full scoop but just the fact that the dealer was not answering straight told me that I am on my own when it comes down to it. So, I saved money and did not go the dealer option for my modifications.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 PM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by tobeit
Oh got it, so you bought another 5 years before the original 5 years were up? I was basing it on the 2016 date you gave.

In any case, certainly would not hurt to ask. I tried to get a similar commitment from a MB dealer who says they are authorized to do RennTech upgrades...I ask Renntech directly and they, surprisingly, told me dont count on it. I never got the full scoop but just the fact that the dealer was not answering straight told me that I am on my own when it comes down to it. So, I saved money and did not go the dealer option for my modifications.
Yep! Original was 4 years, but you're right. Got a nice deal on an extended because of the low mileage. Was tough to say no.
I will let you folks know what the dealership says.. but I'm thinking it will be similar to your experience.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
I had a secondary cat delete before I went full cat less. Took my car to the dealer and they warranty fixed my exhaust. They could of easily blamed the cat delete for the rattle snake flap noises, but they didn't care.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
In the end it comes down to your SA and the dealership...

and of course what item your are attempting to warranty.. I know you prob got a good deal on the extended and thats great, but I always say, just got with a 3rd party, and that way its not an issue.
I have RennTech mods, and AWE Exhaust, and have had cosmetic and brakes etc warrantied, but haven't had an issue with drive-train or other items that would require them to ask or question the MOD or NOT.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:32 PM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by FLC63s
In the end it comes down to your SA and the dealership...

and of course what item your are attempting to warranty.. I know you prob got a good deal on the extended and thats great, but I always say, just got with a 3rd party, and that way its not an issue.
I have RennTech mods, and AWE Exhaust, and have had cosmetic and brakes etc warrantied, but haven't had an issue with drive-train or other items that would require them to ask or question the MOD or NOT.
You know what.. we might be onto something.
The warranty isn't MB, it's aftermarket. Your post prompted me to dig thru my emails to find the contract. I'd read the exclusions before, but after reading them again, I'm thinking it might be okay.

I'm going to attach the exclusions here, let me know what you think.

Almost sounds to me like they will cover it, so long as the car does not have modifications that are janky and half-assed?

Old 06-22-2020, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
You know what.. we might be onto something.
The warranty isn't MB, it's aftermarket. Your post prompted me to dig thru my emails to find the contract. I'd read the exclusions before, but after reading them again, I'm thinking it might be okay.

I'm going to attach the exclusions here, let me know what you think.

Almost sounds to me like they will cover it, so long as the car does not have modifications that are janky and half-assed?

I don’t know what your are reading but paragraph 1 clearly excludes any modification and in particular modification not approved by the manufacturer...so, no this gives the insurance underwriters all reasons to deny coverage.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 PM

I had a frank conversation with my SA regarding mods, specifically around intake and DP’s. According to him, they will ignore the mods and any major issues will be looked over by MB themselves. They generally don’t dig in to ECU unless they see mods then they dig deeper. This is of course if there’s an engine or transmission failure.

I owned a Giulia QV and my SA was informing me that they are trying to void engine warranty on a customer’s car because of an exhaust. I am sure they won’t get away with that but just the frustration of the back and forth and possible lawyers getting involved.... He even told me that they may void engine warranty for drop in filters. Let’s just say that I sold my car quickly after that. My service experience was already horrendous and I couldn’t imagine the BS if I had a real problem.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:10 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
I owned a Giulia QV and my SA was informing me that they are trying to void engine warranty on a customer’s car because of an exhaust. I am sure they won’t get away with that but just the frustration of the back and forth and possible lawyers getting involved.... He even told me that they may void engine warranty for drop in filters. Let’s just say that I sold my car quickly after that. My service experience was already horrendous and I couldn’t imagine the BS if I had a real problem.
Yes, but the Giulia's are having a lot of reliability issues - just look at the long term test car at Car and Driver. This also happened to me when I had a 2007 335i - 4 fuel pumps, 2 sets of wastegates (require an engine pull), and turbos (gone at 60k miles - BMW Good Faith replacement). BMW was looking for reasons to void everyone's warranties, from using the wrong gas (have to use Top Tier gasoline) to any evidence of tuning. Even sent out a rep from BMW and my extended warranty to comb through the car when the turbos went.

I am still debating on modifying. I have catted DP in hand, have a 2020 C63s and am debating on installation soon. Compared to my W204 C63 P31, all I did was cut the secondary cats and the car was almost everything I wanted from this type of car. For various reasons, I traded it in for the C63s. It does not have the same visceral thrill when driving and the exhaust note is just so neutered that I do have a little bit of remorse. And so it is a risk/benefit for me - small risk of a failure that might be voided by DP (but no tune) vs the excitement of have the right exhaust note every time I hit the gas. Really, if I never had the W204, I would be happy as-is. But aside from the high-pitched Ferrari exhaust notes or an old muscle car with lopey idle, the W204 C63 was the best exhaust bark I could hope for. Even my BMW service advisor commented that exhaust note alone makes him jealous.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Spazdoc
Yes, but the Giulia's are having a lot of reliability issues - just look at the long term test car at Car and Driver. This also happened to me when I had a 2007 335i - 4 fuel pumps, 2 sets of wastegates (require an engine pull), and turbos (gone at 60k miles - BMW Good Faith replacement). BMW was looking for reasons to void everyone's warranties, from using the wrong gas (have to use Top Tier gasoline) to any evidence of tuning. Even sent out a rep from BMW and my extended warranty to comb through the car when the turbos went.

I am still debating on modifying. I have catted DP in hand, have a 2020 C63s and am debating on installation soon. Compared to my W204 C63 P31, all I did was cut the secondary cats and the car was almost everything I wanted from this type of car. For various reasons, I traded it in for the C63s. It does not have the same visceral thrill when driving and the exhaust note is just so neutered that I do have a little bit of remorse. And so it is a risk/benefit for me - small risk of a failure that might be voided by DP (but no tune) vs the excitement of have the right exhaust note every time I hit the gas. Really, if I never had the W204, I would be happy as-is. But aside from the high-pitched Ferrari exhaust notes or an old muscle car with lopey idle, the W204 C63 was the best exhaust bark I could hope for. Even my BMW service advisor commented that exhaust note alone makes him jealous.
TBH, Giulia’s issues were mostly software in 2017. My 2018 had roughly 17k miles when I sold it and no major issues. There are plenty of owners without any issues.

Regarding DP, you won’t be disappointed. It makes a huge difference on a 2020 model. Cracks between shifts, pops and bangs are all there after DP install.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:59 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Aren't exhausts serviceable items? So long as you use pattern parts with the same spec you should be fine. It's like voiding a warranty for different brake pads.

Oil filter, pads, discs, tyres, exhaust, air filter (drop in), pollen filter etc are all replaceable and won't void warranty.

A decat might, but i can't see how a catted pipe would.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by SimMB
Aren't exhausts serviceable items? So long as you use pattern parts with the same spec you should be fine. It's like voiding a warranty for different brake pads.

Oil filter, pads, discs, tyres, exhaust, air filter (drop in), pollen filter etc are all replaceable and won't void warranty.

A decat might, but i can't see how a catted pipe would.
That’s the thing, they can. Think about it. If you didn’t use an OEM oil filter and the engine fails.... How about hub failure being blamed on extra heat generated by aftermarket brake pads. Slick tires causing diff failure etc etc..... It really depends on the dealer. Find a good dealer and you should be ok.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:15 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
That’s the thing, they can. Think about it. If you didn’t use an OEM oil filter and the engine fails.... How about hub failure being blamed on extra heat generated by aftermarket brake pads. Slick tires causing diff failure etc etc..... It really depends on the dealer. Find a good dealer and you should be ok.
Slick tyres are not approved for road use. There are numerous oil filters you can use that are perfectly adequate that will not cause warranty issues, same as brake pads.

So long as they meet the necessary standard there is little MB can do. I'm not sure what the standard is for brake pads but I can assure you MB will have to meet them, it's not the other way round.

It's not unusual to have multiple suppliers of the same product supplied to any manufacturer.

A catted downpipes that meet emissions standards would not cause a warranty issue. There really is little MB can do about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any way to increase sound without voiding warranty?