Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
W205 C63
ModalWorks Turbo Blanket product release

Hey MBWorld!

We recently launched our latest product, the turbo blanket for all M177 and M178 biturbo engines (Order Here). As most of you are aware, turbo blankets are used across a wide range of turbocharged vehicles to improve turbo efficiency and spool characteristics as well as reduce radiant heat into the engine bay. This piece only take a few minutes to install and will significantly lower engine bay temperatures

We performed a multitude of tests, two of which are shown below:

1. Cold start idle to full engine temp: We started the vehicle with and without blankets and measured ambient air temperature vs engine bay temperature. In both cases, the vehicle warms up until the radiator fan kicks on, at which point the engine bay temperatures drop quickly (primarily due to increased air circulation within the engine bay). The turbo blanket shows a 30°F lower temperature at idle clearing proving that it is blocking a lot of the radiant heat from the turbos into the bay.

2. Cruising Speed Test: the test vehicle was run on similar stretches of highway (65mph) and measurements were taken from ambient air and engine bay. As shown, at cruising speeds we averaged 7°F lower engine bay temperatures across this 5 minute stretch. We tested this on multiple days with different speeds and we consistently recorded lower temperatures with our turbo blanket installed.

In addition to improved engine bay temperatures, we have also noticed a snappier throttle response, but do not have data to support improved power/speeds at the moment. These will be on sale now through July 5th, please feel free to reach out with any questions!

https://modal.works/shop/m177-turbo-blanket
The following 2 users liked this post by ModalWorks:
velosdesignwerks (07-07-2020), ZAC MOTORSPORT (07-13-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Ordered... not sure if this is a stupid question but is there instructions on how to get it on securely? I didn't see it on the website.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:16 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by amg8
Ordered... not sure if this is a stupid question but is there instructions on how to get it on securely? I didn't see it on the website.
Great question, we will publish install instructions within the next 48 hours so you will have them before the unit arrives.
The following users liked this post:
amg8 (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
Thanks for the intro - I am no expert, so excuse if my question is benign: Its nice to see the temperature in the engine bay reduced...but what for? Instead, heat is captured inside the turbo's and while that is good for race applications to improve the turbo efficiency a little isn't it a concern that the already glowing hot turbo is now even hotter...reducing the lifetime and may even increase the chance of failure? I personally don't benefit from just a cooler bay...
The following 2 users liked this post by tobeit:
FLC63s (07-01-2020), graphitegreyamg (06-08-2023)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by tobeit
Thanks for the intro - I am no expert, so excuse if my question is benign: Its nice to see the temperature in the engine bay reduced...but what for? Instead, heat is captured inside the turbo's and while that is good for race applications to improve the turbo efficiency a little isn't it a concern that the already glowing hot turbo is now even hotter...reducing the lifetime and may even increase the chance of failure? I personally don't benefit from just a cooler bay...
I questioned this too. If you run higher boost without upgrade your intercooler, your engine will run a lot hotter and your engine bay temp will increase cause all other plastic parts like wires, connector ..etc around the area To premature wear. I can see the blanket is a good way to prevent the premature wear on the parts. In term of performances, I too don’t see how unless your car is running one of those open air filter cone like BMS then it will help.

Last edited by Klinh; 07-02-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Klinh
I questioned this too. If you run higher boost without upgrade your intercooler, your engine will run a lot hotter and your engine bay temp will increase cause all other plastic parts like wires, connector ..etc around the area To premature wear. I can see the blanket is a good way to prevent the premature wear on the parts. In term of performances, I too don’t see how unless your car is running one of those open air filter cone like BMS then it will help.
Thanks. If used on cars with higher boost the turbo gets even hotter and the blanket makes it even more. Don’t get me wrong, I am not dissing the blanket but truly try to understand if that is something more for race application where everything is about getting a few more HP out or cars we drive daily.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:54 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Thanks. If used on cars with higher boost the turbo gets even hotter and the blanket makes it even more. Don’t get me wrong, I am not dissing the blanket but truly try to understand if that is something more for race application where everything is about getting a few more HP out or cars we drive daily.
If your turbos are getting hotter thats actually a good thing, send cool air into a hotter turbo will actually increase performance. Additionally the blanket prevents heat from soaking into intakes if you are running any of the open cone designs. So it helps in multiple ways. I have been running a prototype of this blanket for over a month and have noticed much cooler temps and better performance in conjunction with the ModalWorks intakes.

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/pag...0the%20surface
Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by sinister.c63s
If your turbos are getting hotter thats actually a good thing, send cool air into a hotter turbo will actually increase performance. Additionally the blanket prevents heat from soaking into intakes if you are running any of the open cone designs. So it helps in multiple ways. I have been running a prototype of this blanket for over a month and have noticed much cooler temps and better performance in conjunction with the ModalWorks intakes.

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/pag...0the%20surface
...so, there is no concern about too hot for turbos? They are already glowing.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:22 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Very cool idea. I am already concerned of high IAT when pushing the car harder. Are these compatible with your CF intake?
Old 07-03-2020, 02:16 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
...so, there is no concern about too hot for turbos? They are already glowing.
No concerns from us, this is common practice on race cars around the world. Additionally, some OEMs provide heat shielding directly around the turbine housing from the factory.

Originally Posted by Spazdoc
Very cool idea. I am already concerned of high IAT when pushing the car harder. Are these compatible with your CF intake?
Yes, fully compatible with our intake!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, C63s Coupe
Just recieved mine today. Any eta on the install instructions?
Old 07-03-2020, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by ModalWorks
No concerns from us, this is common practice on race cars around the world. Additionally, some OEMs provide heat shielding directly around the turbine housing from the factory.
I guess that is my point and question - its good for race applications but race applications are not built to last but perform only. And just because other OEM provide it too from factory does not mean anything - their designs can be much different in temp and heat and require that heat to be efficient. I am honestly asking if someone has taken a look at that what this extra heat does to our turbos (also, remember other turbos don't sit inside the V either) the longevity of our turbo for a little bit more performance.

Last edited by tobeit; 07-03-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:18 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by SteveDesai
Just recieved mine today. Any eta on the install instructions?
They have been uploaded to the product page. Basically the instructions are as follows:

1. Remove intakes
2. Remove silver center cover (4x M10 nuts)
3. Remove factory heat deflector (7 x E10 bolts)
4. Loop provided stainless steel wires under turbos
5. Wrap wires around rivets and trim excess length.

After install the units will need to be heat cycled. It is best to go on some spirited highway driving for 30 minutes or more. If this is not done as your drive around normally the units will heat cycle and let off some smoke and odor slowly over time. We have done this both ways, and the highway driving approach is preferred as after this is done there will be little to no smoke after one session. It is completely gone after 2 drives.

Last edited by ModalWorks; 07-03-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:00 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
I thought Mercedes designed the airflow to cool the turbos on the M177, won't this impede the original design?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:20 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by SimMB
I thought Mercedes designed the airflow to cool the turbos on the M177, won't this impede the original design?
The blanket tucks down and does not obstruct the vent holes in the silver cover. The vent holes are more prominently used on other vehicles (AMG GT) when the under bonnet airflow is pushed through those openings, but we get a little bit of it in our cars as well.

Last edited by ModalWorks; 07-06-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63S T-Model
Can someone show pics how and where i can fix on the blanket?
i have the set here but i dont get it, tnx
Old 07-13-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Originally Posted by PayKoHan
Can someone show pics how and where i can fix on the blanket?
i have the set here but i dont get it, tnx
Have to remove the top cover and heat shielding...it goes below both with wire to the riv nuts to secure.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63S T-Model
And behind?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:37 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Here are the detailed installation instructions:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...on+%281%29.pdf
Old 07-14-2020, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 185 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Questions: How much area surface does the blanket cover along the bottom of the turbos? Due to being wrapped, is it possible the blanket 'traps' the heat by forcing it downward onto the heads which run the risk of warping? Thanks for answering in advance.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Questions: How much area surface does the blanket cover along the bottom of the turbos? Due to being wrapped, is it possible the blanket 'traps' the heat by forcing it downward onto the heads which run the risk of warping? Thanks for answering in advance.
The exhaust manifolds are actually hidden underneath a metal heat shield (only exposing the v-band for attaching the turbo), and those manifolds get red hot attached to the heads/exhaust ports. I wouldn’t be concerned with heat warping heads. PTP uses a similar blanket concept with their N63 BMW 4.4l V8’s which are also hot V setups.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
The exhaust manifolds are actually hidden underneath a metal heat shield (only exposing the v-band for attaching the turbo), and those manifolds get red hot attached to the heads/exhaust ports. I wouldn’t be concerned with heat warping heads. PTP uses a similar blanket concept with their N63 BMW 4.4l V8’s which are also hot V setups.

For me, "wouldn't be concerned" based on a comparison to different engine...does not sound like a confidence maker to me. It's a pass for me.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
17 C63S coupe
-_-

Last edited by deftronix; 07-15-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
For me, "wouldn't be concerned" based on a comparison to different engine...does not sound like a confidence maker to me. It's a pass for me.
If this doesn’t install confidence, then just look at PTP’s solution for the N/S63 Hot V - these guys are the industry leaders in turbo blankets and have had an independent study performed (by UT Austin) that showed actual tangible performance benefits to using a turbo blanket - this was discussed in another thread on the topic...

PTP’s 4.4l turbo blanket:
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/pro...0i-650i-750i-1
Old 07-15-2020, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
This is a joke in my personal option. Mercedes already has a heat shield cover. Anymore Shield is just useless. The main reason Mercedes put a heat shield there is to prevent the red hot heat from the turbo baking the paint off the hood. I can also see the blanket Not laying flat evenly might even trap more heat in some area rather then allow it to escape.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ModalWorks Turbo Blanket product release