C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is it safe to cold start and drive in Sport+ when engine temps are cold (blue)?
It's safe to cold start the car in Sport+ and drive gently until temps warm up
83.33%
It's dangerous to start and drive in Sport+ when temps are in blue
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

❄ Sport+ cold start. Safe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2020 | 11:58 AM

C63 S Coupe
❄ Sport+ cold start. Safe?

C63 familia, who here starts their C63 in Sport+ even when engine temps are cold?

I know some guys here start off in Comfort until engine/trans temps are out of BLUE. But can we actually start off in Sport+ and drive gently until temps are warm in Sport+? Or is this a no no?

Regards,
George Lisciandro
Old 07-12-2020 | 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by George_1992
C63 familia, who here starts their C63 in Sport+ even when engine temps are cold?

I know some guys here start off in Comfort until engine/trans temps are out of BLUE. But can we actually start off in Sport+ and drive gently until temps are warm in Sport+? Or is this a no no?

Regards,
George Lisciandro
We cant start in Sport+, always reverts to Comfort and you need to put it into Sport+ after cold start...maybe a minor item. Also, independent of Sport + I think it is not recommended to rev high and push the car hard in any mode...so, I dont think it has anything to do with Sport/Sport+ as that just changes the shifting points, valve control etc but not what matters - RPM. JMO
Old 07-12-2020 | 01:13 PM

PFL C63s EC Stage II
In sport+ the motor will heat up faster because the idle rpm is a little higher which is a good thing, I dont go over 3k before the temps hit white.
Old 07-12-2020 | 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
It’s 100% safe. I cold start my PFL in race mode and drive it in manual keeping RPMs below 3k and staying out of boost/engine load until both the engine oil, coolant, and trans are up to temp. If you drive in manual mode (I do 99% of the time) you’ll notice as soon as the trans crosses over 122f and is up to temp, the shift response from the paddles and shift speed will instantly increase.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
allgoldmac (07-13-2020), George_1992 (07-13-2020), Jimmy_c63s (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by George_1992

Regards,
George Lisciandro
Start it in Sport+ and take it easy until the temps are warm
Old 07-13-2020 | 02:27 AM

C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
It’s 100% safe. I cold start my PFL in race mode and drive it in manual keeping RPMs below 3k and staying out of boost/engine load until both the engine oil, coolant, and trans are up to temp. If you drive in manual mode (I do 99% of the time) you’ll notice as soon as the trans crosses over 122f and is up to temp, the shift response from the paddles and shift speed will instantly increase.
Phewww.... that eases my mind. Thanks Alex and all those who voted
Old 07-14-2020 | 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
I get what you guys are saying, but if you're going to baby it until temps come up, what's the point of putting it into sport+?
Old 07-14-2020 | 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by skim7x
I get what you guys are saying, but if you're going to baby it until temps come up, what's the point of putting it into sport+?
Agree, not to mention you have to put in Sport+ after start...so, I wait until its warm. Also, at lower tranny temps its a bit less "smooth" shifting in sport+ too.
Old 07-14-2020 | 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by tobeit
Agree, not to mention you have to put in Sport+ after start...so, I wait until its warm. Also, at lower tranny temps its a bit less "smooth" shifting in sport+ too.
I have to agree , why take the time to switch to Sport+ , when you physically have to do it, so wait until your driving out a bit, then switch it.

NOTE: I have my Individual mode , set to Sport , and its habit for me to get in and start car, and push the mode button up once,.... so ignore my comment above if your configuration is the same but just in Sport+
(I mainly have it in Sport mode, because I hate trying to pull out of my parking area in 2nd gear, which comfort does by default)
Old 07-14-2020 | 12:00 PM

2019 C63S Coupe, 2020 G550
I start in Race every time I get in the car.

But I also don't care to let temps warm up. The level of pops I get in those first 5 minutes never come back for the rest of the day so I don't even care about the RPMs I hit.

Then again, I leased. So I have it for a good time, not a long time
Old 07-14-2020 | 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Encore818
I start in Race every time I get in the car.

But I also don't care to let temps warm up. The level of pops I get in those first 5 minutes never come back for the rest of the day so I don't even care about the RPMs I hit.

Then again, I leased. So I have it for a good time, not a long time
Word of caution to anyone who reads the above - do not, under any circumstances, do what Encore does and rip on it when it’s cold. You will be doing a tremendous amount of damage over time that will leave you with an engine down the road with poor compression and possible serious damage to the short block internals and heads - even turbochargers will take a beating with full boost and cold/thick oil.

Even on a leased car, I don’t have the heart to mechanically abuse a vehicle like that. That’s just short sighted IMO.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 07-14-2020 at 01:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
d4md (07-17-2020), Jimmy_c63s (07-14-2020), Surge (07-24-2020)
Old 07-14-2020 | 01:18 PM

c63s
I switch to sports plus only after the temp turns white. I am gentle on the car when starting. I wait for idle to drop before shifting to Drive in comfort mode. I don’t even change the driving modes while car is moving. I always wait for the car to be completely stopped before switching.
If I see the engine is above 215 degree F, I take it easy on the car and let it cool off by not driving hard. When I park my car in my garage, if the fans are still on after engine is off, I keep the garage door open to let cool air into the garage. If the door is closed on a hot day the engine will be sucking in hot air so probably not good for the car.
I guess I’m pretty careful on my car. I’m hoping to keep it for a long time since Next c63 will be a 4 banger.
Old 07-14-2020 | 01:39 PM

Yes I’m sorry I meant to add to my post.

DO NOT do what I do.

I know it is very bad for the car.

But if MB is going to bend me over with these lease rates and neuter my exhaust at the same time, I’m going to do what I have to in order to enjoy the car.

literally the only pops I get are in the morning right when I start my car.

I don’t plan on having the car more than 2 years. The fact is, Mercedes cares more about the longevity of my car than I do. They’ll do what they need to in order to make the next owner happy. If you plan on having it for longer, this will lead to costly repairs down the road.

Edit: I’ve been doing it for a year. I think it can take another year. I’ve never and probably will never track this car so it doesn’t get any other abuse. LA traffic only allows me very brief moments of spirited driving as well.

Last edited by Encore818; 07-14-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2020 | 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by Encore818
Yes I’m sorry I meant to add to my post.

DO NOT do what I do.

I know it is very bad for the car.

But if MB is going to bend me over with these lease rates and neuter my exhaust at the same time, I’m going to do what I have to in order to enjoy the car.

literally the only pops I get are in the morning right when I start my car.

I don’t plan on having the car more than 2 years. The fact is, Mercedes cares more about the longevity of my car than I do. They’ll do what they need to in order to make the next owner happy. If you plan on having it for longer, this will lead to costly repairs down the road.

Edit: I’ve been doing it for a year. I think it can take another year. I’ve never and probably will never track this car so it doesn’t get any other abuse. LA traffic only allows me very brief moments of spirited driving as well.
Well the car - learns your habits and the POPS, and such will come and adapt based on driving style etc.. my car started doing burps etc in Sport mode , insanely at 3K and under when I let up on the gas.. but I drive 100% of the time in Sport (since its programmed as my individual mode)

I think setting your default my be counter productive to wanting pops, and burps etc being normal driving, since the threashold is much higher in that driving mode.
(take the care to muholland dr, or up in the canyons in Malibu and put in Sport mode, and drive it spirited and see if its learns some new stuff...

Learning is NOT an instant response either.
Old 07-14-2020 | 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by FLC63s
Well the car - learns your habits and the POPS, and such will come and adapt based on driving style etc.. my car started doing burps etc in Sport mode , insanely at 3K and under when I let up on the gas.. but I drive 100% of the time in Sport (since its programmed as my individual mode)

I think setting your default my be counter productive to wanting pops, and burps etc being normal driving, since the threashold is much higher in that driving mode.
(take the care to muholland dr, or up in the canyons in Malibu and put in Sport mode, and drive it spirited and see if its learns some new stuff...

Learning is NOT an instant response either.
Unfortunately I’ve tried to get the car to learn for a year... maybe mines dumb lol

No but you are right. Of course it has improved from the day I picked it up, but all FL owners running stock exhaust and downpipes know the car still leaves more to be desired.

On my malibu runs it sounds nice, pops a bit, but not much at all.
Old 07-14-2020 | 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I don't put mine in Sport+ around town. With the FL and the 9MCT, the higher idle rpm makes the clutch engagement somewhat jerky at slow speeds. Coming to a stop is often accompanied by a jerk and if I just slightly let off the brake it immediately wants to engage the clutch. I start the engine using the new "Emotion Start" feature in the FL, though, which opens the exhaust valves and blips the throttle for a nice sounding and emotional engine start. I immediately press the exhaust button as the engine blips to keep the valves open, and turn off ECO stop/start. I even do it with my door open in my garage sometimes and it sounds glorious. Getting looks from neighbors, too, perhaps they are not so happy about it .

I then drive off in Comfort with the exhaust valves open. At the low surface street speeds the car is just too jumpy and jerky in Sport+, so I have no desire to do that. As soon as I hit the highway/interstate, though, I immediately put it in I*, which I have setup as Sport+ for the most part, except the suspension in Sport, but the transmission in M. I prefer to be in control of the gears on the highway and when driving at a faster pace. This also gives me control over keeping the RPMs low until the engine and transmission have reached operating temps. I leave the transmission in automatic mode only around town (in C), or on long highway journeys with DISTRONIC engaged and also in C. In Sport+, I never keep the transmission in automatic mode. As soon as I change out of Comfort to whatever other mode, the transmission goes into M.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-14-2020 at 03:00 PM.