C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you permanently disable active brake assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
I was so close to buying a 2023 C63s without the DA2 Driver Assist option, because I hated having to manually disable all those nanny features every time I started my '21 C63s coupe. I vowed to never buy another AMG with DA2.

But one feature of DA2 which really grew on me was Distronic w/Active Steering Assist. I didn't use it often, but it's nice to have and we have some road trips planned this year where it would really come in handy. It should also help resale value should I ever decide to sell. Thankfully, I was able to find the exact same car with the DA2 option, only difference being the interior color and a $2100 price jump for DA2 and the L6H carbon fiber steering wheel option. If all goes well, I should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks!
Old 05-02-2023, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RavenM6
I was so close to buying a 2023 C63s without the DA2 Driver Assist option, because I hated having to manually disable all those nanny features every time I started my '21 C63s coupe. I vowed to never buy another AMG with DA2.

But one feature of DA2 which really grew on me was Distronic w/Active Steering Assist. I didn't use it often, but it's nice to have and we have some road trips planned this year where it would really come in handy. It should also help resale value should I ever decide to sell. Thankfully, I was able to find the exact same car with the DA2 option, only difference being the interior color and a $2100 price jump for DA2 and the L6H carbon fiber steering wheel option. If all goes well, I should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks!
Not optioning DA2 doesn't eliminate the nanny features. Quite the opposite, DA2 makes them more reliable and less intrusive, because it adds faster processing and additional sensors. See the comparison in post #20 that shows how these systems become more capable of differentiating between cars, pedestrians and cyclist, as well as stationary vs moving objects with DA2. W/o DA2 brake assist has to solely rely on the single camera in the windshield. Cameras can be blinded and fooled leading to phantom braking or not actually seeing an obstacle at all. For example the Tesla a few years ago that crashed into a white semi that it couldn't see against the sun. One of the biggest mistakes Musk ever made was insisting on getting rid of the radar sensor. DA2 adds radar sensors and replaces the single windshield camera with a stereo camera. The latter gives the system depth perception and the radar picks up moving objects that the camera may not see due to lighting conditions, and acts as a second opinion when the cameras see ghost images.

With my FL 2019 and DA2 I don't have to disable the nanny features. They only intervene when there's actually a reason. Even while bombing down a canyon road I've never had it slam on the brakes because it mistook something for an obstacle in my path. Occasionally I get the acoustic warning and the red triangle in the dash, but it quickly corrects itself once it realizes that it was a false positive. The one exception is the active lane keep assist, which is just way too intrusive, but thankful it can be turned off permanently which I did.

On the track, though, the brake assist is annoying as it applies the brakes too soon when following another car into a corner, but as said above with ESP off the brake assist is off as well, or otherwise it can be temporarily turned off at the beginning of a session. Since going to the track is not something one does every day, I think this is quite ok.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-02-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:41 PM

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
Originally Posted by superswiss
Not optioning DA2 doesn't eliminate the nanny features. Quite the opposite, DA2 makes them more reliable and less intrusive, because it adds faster processing and additional sensors. See the comparison in post #20 that shows how these systems become more capable of differentiating between cars, pedestrians and cyclist, as well as stationary vs moving objects with DA2. W/o DA2 brake assist has to solely rely on the single camera in the windshield. Cameras can be blinded and fooled leading to phantom braking or not actually seeing an obstacle at all. For example the Tesla a few years ago that crashed into a white semi that it couldn't see against the sun. One of the biggest mistakes Musk ever made was insisting on getting rid of the radar sensor. DA2 adds radar sensors and replaces the single windshield camera with a stereo camera. The latter gives the system depth perception and the radar picks up moving objects that the camera may not see due to lighting conditions, and acts as a second opinion when the cameras see ghost images.

With my FL 2019 and DA2 I don't have to disable the nanny features. They only intervene when there's actually a reason. Even while bombing down a canyon road I've never had it slam on the brakes because it mistook something for an obstacle in my path. Occasionally I get the acoustic warning and the red triangle in the dash, but it quickly corrects itself once it realizes that it was a false positive. The one exception is the active lane keep assist, which is just way too intrusive, but thankful it can be turned off permanently which I did.

On the track, though, the brake assist is annoying as it applies the brakes too soon when following another car into a corner, but as said above with ESP off the brake assist is off as well, or otherwise it can be temporarily turned off at the beginning of a session. Since going to the track is not something one does every day, I think this is quite ok.
Good info, I was under the impression that active brake assist and other nanny features were only available through the DA2 option. I did also permanently disable active lane keep assist in my ‘21 as it once nearly caused me to have an accident. I had no idea there was a trimmed down version of it without DA2. I’m glad I opted to get the car with it as I would still have to disable active brake assist without DA2.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by golfyiin
Hi, thanks for your sharing.

Did you successfully unplug the sensor? I have had the same scary experience for almost a year now. I am thinking about asking the MB dealership to unplug the sensor on my next scheduled maintenace.

No I didn’t bother trying because it would likely result in an error code. Maybe wrap it in aluminum foil. If I end up ever upgrading the turbos I am going to ask the tuner to customize the start up settings/features.

The seatbelt annoys me greatly. If I come up quickly to an intersection and apply the brakes stiffly. I require to be able to move my body to look both ways down the road. There are lots of obstructions and oddly angled roads. Seeing oncoming traffic is impossible if I am clamped down in seat.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:56 PM

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
C63s
I have found out that in the Final Edition you have the option to fully disable it

Pretty sure I did not get that in my PFL

Last edited by japamg; 05-14-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:26 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by japamg
I have found out that in the Final Edition you have the option to fully disable it

Desconectado = Disabled 😬

Old 05-14-2023, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by japamg

That's only until the next start. As described in the owner's manual. It only stays off for the current session and reactivates at the medium setting next time the car is started. In the FL it's also turned off automatically if ESP is fully turned off.

The following users liked this post:
japamg (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 11:36 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's only until the next start. As described in the owner's manual. It only stays off for the current session and reactivates at the medium setting next time the car is started. In the FL it's also turned off automatically if ESP is fully turned off.
That make sense