C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you permanently disable active brake assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
How do you permanently disable active brake assist?

The active brake assist feature in this car is a travesty. The problem is that if I turn it off from the settings, it turns on again on restart.

how do you deactivate this freaking thing permanently?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,851 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
As far as I know it can't be permanently turned off. It has three levels, though, Early, Medium and Late. Medium is the default, which I think mine is set to. What are the issues you are running into? It stays out of my way and only ever intervened for good reasons. I do have the full Driver Assistance Package, though, which makes all of the safety systems work better and more capable. For example with the Driver Assistance Package you get the Evasive Steering Assist, so instead of the Active Brake Assist slamming on the brakes in an emergency, the Evasive Steering Assist may kick in and help make an evasive maneuver instead. I did notice at the AMG Driving Academy, the Active Brake Assist constantly beeped at me and initiated braking before I would have when the car ahead of me slowed down into the next corner. So that was rather annoying, but my car has never done that, so I must assume that's also a difference between having or not having the Driver Assistance Package.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 C63s
Originally Posted by munis
The active brake assist feature in this car is a travesty. The problem is that if I turn it off from the settings, it turns on again on restart.

how do you deactivate this freaking thing permanently?
I don't mind having it on while driving on the road but on the track it's super annoying. I just got back from a weekend at VIR and there's no other way that I no of than to have to turn it off with each key cycle, and even with it off, I sometimes find that I still get the collision warnings when closely passing or being passed by another driver on track. There was a Mercedes GTS at the track this weekend and the driver came up to asking how to turn his system off as it would keep lighting up like a Christmas tree while on track - it's actually quite dangerous.

At one point in the day yesterday, I'm driving down the back straight at 140+ mph and look to my screen for my reference time and see I'm connected with MB on an emergency SOS call with a lady asking if everyone's okay. I'm yelling through my helmet for her to hang up but she couldn't hear me. And the only way I know to make an emergency SOS call is to flip the cover and press the red button on the interior roof cluster, which obviously I hadn't done. Technology can be super annoying, and dangerous.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by W213e63s
I don't mind having it on while driving on the road but on the track it's super annoying. I just got back from a weekend at VIR and there's no other way that I no of than to have to turn it off with each key cycle, and even with it off, I sometimes find that I still get the collision warnings when closely passing or being passed by another driver on track. There was a Mercedes GTS at the track this weekend and the driver came up to asking how to turn his system off as it would keep lighting up like a Christmas tree while on track - it's actually quite dangerous.

At one point in the day yesterday, I'm driving down the back straight at 140+ mph and look to my screen for my reference time and see I'm connected with MB on an emergency SOS call with a lady asking if everyone's okay. I'm yelling through my helmet for her to hang up but she couldn't hear me. And the only way I know to make an emergency SOS call is to flip the cover and press the red button on the interior roof cluster, which obviously I hadn't done. Technology can be super annoying, and dangerous.
I thought when in RACE Mode it disabled all that ??
As for getting MB SOS on the phone, .. lol. yea I had some interesting conversations with them during some very entertaining moments as well... regards to say, a chicks heel apparently push the button, and that lady got a surprise when it connected..
Old 03-08-2021, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
This brings back not-so fond memories of threshold braking at 130+ mph into Turn 1 at COTA on a GTS and having the damn seatbelt pin me to the seat and beep like nuts as I closed in on the AMG in front of me.

If they didn’t disable emergency braking on an F1 track, I don’t think you’ll have much luck easily disabling it on a C63. I asked because I was getting sick and tired of constantly being yelled at by the computers and the seatbelt literally locking me in place while driving on track - it was actually extremely dangerous having those functions active! I don’t know what AMG Academy was thinking - they need to just pull a fuse and disable the damn thing.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:32 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
i hate this feature.

one plans out the move while driving and this thing ends up intervening for eg when going fast on a highway. it can be dangerous
Old 03-08-2021, 01:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 C63s
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
This brings back not-so fond memories of threshold braking at 130+ mph into Turn 1 at COTA on a GTS and having the damn seatbelt pin me to the seat and beep like nuts as I closed in on the AMG in front of me.

If they didn’t disable emergency braking on an F1 track, I don’t think you’ll have much luck easily disabling it on a C63. I asked because I was getting sick and tired of constantly being yelled at by the computers and the seatbelt literally locking me in place while driving on track - it was actually extremely dangerous having those functions active! I don’t know what AMG Academy was thinking - they need to just pull a fuse and disable the damn thing.
I fixed the seatbelt issue with a 4-point Schroth harness.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
I wish you could fully switch it off. I've had it kick in on the freeway a few times, not the nicest feeling when your going over 100km/h switching lanes to overtake and it kicks in. Has happened in city driving aswell when I'm already on the brakes and it decides to slam them cause the car in front is taking their time to move. My dad in his glc has been scared shtless a few times aswell.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:03 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
IIRC you can FULLY disable this with the steering wheel menu. The caveat is you have to do this every time you restart the car.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S
Yeah!! Fxck this happened to me this morning!!! Mother fxcker in front of me slammed on the breaks. I went to change lanes quickly and the belt pinned me to my seat and started beeping like crazy!!!
I know how to drive but MB assumes everyone's a novice!!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:23 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by Barbalatte
Yeah!! Fxck this happened to me this morning!!! Mother fxcker in front of me slammed on the breaks. I went to change lanes quickly and the belt pinned me to my seat and started beeping like crazy!!!
I know how to drive but MB assumes everyone's a novice!!
That time when you do NEED it, it will save your life!!
Old 03-10-2021, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT C coupe
I thought brake assists is disabled once you go past level 3/9 on traction control? Or is that only for front collision system? Let me know if i'm wrong.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by russAMG
I thought brake assists is disabled once you go past level 3/9 on traction control? Or is that only for front collision system? Let me know if i'm wrong.
I don't know about that. Where did you read this? I must assume, though, that the AMG DYNAMICS and ESP modes affect how it intervenes, so that it doesn't intervene mid drift for example. Even ESP Sport Handling mode allows a certain amount of drift angle. FWIW, on the highway I typically have AMG DYNAMICS in Pro, and I occasionally get the audible warning if I'm cutting it close, but it never slams on the brakes. In the canyons I have it in Master with ESP in Sport Handling mode. I've also wondered in the past if it is connected to the ATTENTION ASSIST, which constantly monitors the driver's reaction and calculates the attention level. It might intervene earlier if it thinks the driver doesn't have the best reaction at the moment. In my previous Audi RS5, the system turned off when ESP was put in Sport mode or turned off. I thought that was a good approach, but I don't think it's as clear cut with AMGs. As I said above, though, it generally stays out of my way other than the occasional audible warning. I think there was one time I vaguely remember where it slamed on the brakes for no reason. Must have seen a ghost or something. I don't expect the system to be a 100% perfect, but one false positive in almost 19k miles isn't causing me any concern. I still think there's a difference in how well it works with and without the Driver Assistance Package, since with the Driver Assistance package you get a stereo camera in the windshield. W/o it there's only a single camera, so it has to fully rely on the radar sensor to determine how close you are to an object.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-10-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:17 PM

GT C coupe
Hmm... Maybe I don't drive crazy enough for the system to pump the brakes. But when I turn off the ESP on level 3 and on there's a small icon that pops up in the cluster which looks like the front collision prevention system icon (back of someone's car and front of your car). I though this disables brake assist / front collision prevention.
Or could it be that it sets itself to "Late" option and I never get that close for the system to go off?
Old 03-10-2021, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Hmm... Maybe I don't drive crazy enough for the system to pump the brakes. But when I turn off the ESP on level 3 and on there's a small icon that pops up in the cluster which looks like the front collision prevention system icon (back of someone's car and front of your car). I though this disables brake assist / front collision prevention.
Or could it be that it sets itself to "Late" option and I never get that close for the system to go off?
Have to pay attention next time, but if it's off you should see the following icon.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:35 PM

GT C coupe
Yes! Thats exactly what i see. I will double check later just to make sure. I don't remember if it says OFF underneath the icon.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes! Thats exactly what i see. I will double check later just to make sure. I don't remember if it says OFF underneath the icon.
Interesting. Have to check it out next time I'm in the car. It's been a while since I dialed down TC that low.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
BTW, the following is also important to understand. The safety systems have a break-in period.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:12 PM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by superswiss
I still think there's a difference in how well it works with and without the Driver Assistance Package ...
It appears you are correct ... from the manual for my 2016 PFL C63 S:

And there are other differences to do with cross-traffic and various types of recognition ... as you suggest, due to the addition of the stereo camera with some option packages (which differ by sales region).
Old 03-10-2021, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by user33
It appears you are correct ... from the manual for my 2016 PFL C63 S:

And there are other differences to do with cross-traffic and various types of recognition ... as you suggest, due to the addition of the stereo camera with some option packages (which differ by sales region).
Yeah, there are definitely a number of differences with and without the Driver Assistance Package. There are a few tables in the FL owner's manual that illustrate differences in various situations. I'm also wondering given that there is a teaching phase for the safety systems during break-in as I posted above, how different driving styles influence how these systems perform afterwards. For example will it be more lenient for somebody who drove dynamically during the teaching phase and be more conservative for somebody who took it easy.

The following users liked this post:
purplewidow (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 PM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
Those tables (which I didn't find in my 2016 manual) look like a nice summary of what appears to be in wording at various points in my manual (minus anything to do with evasive steering as I don't think mine has that). It's also likely that the FL software has some marked improvements over the PFL software.

I got a chuckle out of this one:
---
You can cancel a brake application of Active Brake Assist at any time by:
• fully depressing the accelerator pedal or with kickdown
---
Conclusion: "ramming speed" is supported! Good to know if you want to take your heavily optioned AMG to a demolition derby. $;-))
Old 03-11-2021, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Took a closer look today, and actually the Active Brake Assist turns off as soon as you turn ESP off, the TC level doesn't matter. This is somewhat expected. I still believe all the safety systems get relaxed with ESP in Sport Handling Mode, but when ESP is turned off completely then the Active Brake Assist is turned off as well. I must have never noticed the symbol at the bottom. This makes a lot of sense I think. On the track you can turn ESP off so none of these systems intervene, but you still have TC to play with and keep a certain safety net.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-11-2021 at 04:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
russAMG (03-12-2021)
Old 01-06-2023, 11:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C63 AMG
I had front license plate attached to the tow hook. It blocked the Collision Prevention sensor. I moved to Florida and no longer have the front license plate. I was driving in heavy traffic then out of nowhere the seatbelt pinned me to the seat and the car braked. It is not safe for the car to jam on the brakes. I need to be in 100% control of the vehicle. The computer is stupid. I never had a problem with the Driver Assist. This is one more terrible feature the car has. I turned Collision Prevention off. I thought I was all good. I just found out the feature needs to be disabled every time the vehicle is started.

Someone pulled in front of me and braked quickly. I was maneuvering around the other driver and suddenly Collision Prevention triggered, I was clamped into the seat and then lost control, skidded and went into the next lane over because of the automatic braking. If there had been a car there this would have resulted in a collision.

Driver Assist is not safe.

I am thinking that I should unplug the front sensor.

Disabling this every time I start the car seems like a pain.

I have to put the car in Sport mode for the transmission to shift correctly. Comfort mode is terrible. I definitely don’t want the engine to turn off a at stop sign. What kind of rotten feature is that. V8 engine is designed to expel unburned gasoline to keep the turbos spooling, the engine purposely wastes gas. But turns off while I am waiting for someone to go at a stop sign. Traction Control needs to be in Sport or disabled, or else the car stutters on acceleration. It is a problem to push down on the accelerator and have no power going to the wheels. I find myself sputtering through a turn in traffic, car refusing to accelerate through a turn because I forgot to change the setting.

There are too many buttons that need to be pressed, too many default garbage settings that need to be changed for the car to perform correctly. It makes sense that the first owner didn’t drive it much. Having the seatbelt clamp me down in the seat makes me not want to drive the car. The problem is that none of my preferred settings can be saved. Makes the car really stupid.

I am going to unplug the sensor underneath the bumper cover and see what happens.

Last edited by anwar_hamoude; 01-06-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 821 Likes on 636 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
just let me code out the stuff
simple no ?

https://benzninja.com/special-tunes/

Old 05-02-2023, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by anwar_hamoude
I had front license plate attached to the tow hook. It blocked the Collision Prevention sensor. I moved to Florida and no longer have the front license plate. I was driving in heavy traffic then out of nowhere the seatbelt pinned me to the seat and the car braked. It is not safe for the car to jam on the brakes. I need to be in 100% control of the vehicle. The computer is stupid. I never had a problem with the Driver Assist. This is one more terrible feature the car has. I turned Collision Prevention off. I thought I was all good. I just found out the feature needs to be disabled every time the vehicle is started.

Someone pulled in front of me and braked quickly. I was maneuvering around the other driver and suddenly Collision Prevention triggered, I was clamped into the seat and then lost control, skidded and went into the next lane over because of the automatic braking. If there had been a car there this would have resulted in a collision.

Driver Assist is not safe.

I am thinking that I should unplug the front sensor.

Disabling this every time I start the car seems like a pain.

I have to put the car in Sport mode for the transmission to shift correctly. Comfort mode is terrible. I definitely don’t want the engine to turn off a at stop sign. What kind of rotten feature is that. V8 engine is designed to expel unburned gasoline to keep the turbos spooling, the engine purposely wastes gas. But turns off while I am waiting for someone to go at a stop sign. Traction Control needs to be in Sport or disabled, or else the car stutters on acceleration. It is a problem to push down on the accelerator and have no power going to the wheels. I find myself sputtering through a turn in traffic, car refusing to accelerate through a turn because I forgot to change the setting.

There are too many buttons that need to be pressed, too many default garbage settings that need to be changed for the car to perform correctly. It makes sense that the first owner didn’t drive it much. Having the seatbelt clamp me down in the seat makes me not want to drive the car. The problem is that none of my preferred settings can be saved. Makes the car really stupid.

I am going to unplug the sensor underneath the bumper cover and see what happens.

Hi, thanks for your sharing.

Did you successfully unplug the sensor? I have had the same scary experience for almost a year now. I am thinking about asking the MB dealership to unplug the sensor on my next scheduled maintenace.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you permanently disable active brake assist?