C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selenite Gray Magno touch up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 12:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
c63s coupe, bmw 335i coupe (winterbeater)
Originally Posted by djprov431
As an update, I stopped in MB service and was able to order touch up paint for the Selenite Matte gray (it's roughly a nail polish size bottle with applicator)

Part # 000 986 26 50 7297

The "7297" is the paint code
thanks for this!! Btw, do you know if there is an online source for this besides the dealer?
Old 07-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by brianc63s
thanks for this!! Btw, do you know if there is an online source for this besides the dealer?
You're welcome! I haven't tried searching the part number, so I don't know -- might be cheaper to get at the dealer due to shipping!

Here for $28

Last edited by djprov431; 07-06-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG E53
Originally Posted by superswiss
You'd be surprised. PPF originated from the US military. It started out as Helicopter Tape to protect the rotor blades from being damaged by flying debris during landing and take-off during the Vietnam War. Helicopter Tape was sturdier and less malleable, but was adapted to today's car PPF. XPEL for example is pretty thick and stops many rock from reaching the paint. I've had PPF on my previous car for six years. It was damaged in parts from the rocks it stopped, but the paint was untouched. Matte paint in particular is difficult to fix. Paint matching is not easy.
New (to me) E53 arrives next week and I’m looking to get PPF applied. Given you’ve had previous cars for a number of years with it… I’m wondering what you would suggest in terms of how much of the car to cover with XPEL?
This is more of a need vs. want question as I’d love to get the whole car wrapped with their stealth finish… but not sure I want to spend that kind of money. The basic options from a local installer are below. My current vehicle (a lowered Forester XT) had issues with chips about everywhere… but the leading edge of the roof, mirrors, and of course front bumper in particular.

Any additional thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG(W205) 17'
You're welcome! I haven't tried searching the part number, so I don't know -- might be cheaper to get at the dealer due to shipping!

Here for $28
before and after pic? Curious to see how it came out!
Old 07-09-2021, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,579 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by W213E53
New (to me) E53 arrives next week and I’m looking to get PPF applied. Given you’ve had previous cars for a number of years with it… I’m wondering what you would suggest in terms of how much of the car to cover with XPEL?
This is more of a need vs. want question as I’d love to get the whole car wrapped with their stealth finish… but not sure I want to spend that kind of money. The basic options from a local installer are below. My current vehicle (a lowered Forester XT) had issues with chips about everywhere… but the leading edge of the roof, mirrors, and of course front bumper in particular.

Any additional thoughts on the subject are welcome.
On both cars I had PPF so far I did full frontal as described in your pic, and added door handle cups (finger nail scratches), door edges and the full rear bumper. Those are really the main impact areas. I haven't had issues with the leading edge of the roof and the A-pillars, so I haven't done those. In addition I requested wrapped edges, so there are no lines where the film ends. W/o that the film usually has a line along the edges of the respective panel. They can't do it everywhere and my installer cut out the V8 biturbo badges on the sides instead of removing the badge and applying it over the film. Didn't notice that at first, but I can rarely see the lines of the cutout. Next time I'd probably request the badges to be removed and reapplied over the film, but that's only minor. My previous car didn't have any badges on the front, so it didn't really occur to me with the C63.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:13 AM

2019 AMG E53
Originally Posted by superswiss
On both cars I had PPF so far I did full frontal as described in your pic, and added door handle cups (finger nail scratches), door edges and the full rear bumper. Those are really the main impact areas. I haven't had issues with the leading edge of the roof and the A-pillars, so I haven't done those. In addition I requested wrapped edges, so there are no lines where the film ends. W/o that the film usually has a line along the edges of the respective panel. They can't do it everywhere and my installer cut out the V8 biturbo badges on the sides instead of removing the badge and applying it over the film. Didn't notice that at first, but I can rarely see the lines of the cutout. Next time I'd probably request the badges to be removed and reapplied over the film, but that's only minor. My previous car didn't have any badges on the front, so it didn't really occur to me with the C63.
Greatly appreciate your notes. Good to know the leading edge isn't something you've had trouble with. The cups are a great point, and something I did with my previous vehicle with Lamin-x. The new car does have something in the cups, although I'm not sure what it is and will likely have it swapped out for XPEL just in case. Part of me wouldn't mind just removing the Turbo 4matic+ badges on the front fenders all together... but TBD I guess.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:44 AM

2021 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Akl1234
before and after pic? Curious to see how it came out!
I had to order it - haven't done it yet!
Old 07-10-2021, 12:16 PM

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 AMG C63 Coupe
6 Months Ownership , not a single scratch PPF [Full Front]
When I collect the Porsche 992 4S I will do and entire PPF
I do get the bug guts , that come off after a wash
Tip ! leave a light film of wax on the bumper .. adds a layer of protection and makes the bug guts less of a problem.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:17 AM

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
I’m sure most of us use tempered glass to protect our smartphones. I can’t count how many times it’s saved my screens from getting shattered. PPF is like tempered glass for your car, it works wonders against high impact rocks and debris. I’ll be doing a full frontal ppf when I take delivery of my beast.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:29 AM

2021 C63S Coupe
I'm not doing PPF, ever. If ya'll want to invest in it, that's cool - I hope it's worth the money and continues to look good for years - it's not for me though for multiple reasons - I'll take my chances and deal with whatever comes my way Ya'll push that PPF like Covid shots!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:39 AM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
lol ,

Whatever , you still my buddy
The following users liked this post:
djprov431 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:28 PM

2019 AMG E53
I'm not doing PPF, ever. If ya'll want to invest in it, that's cool - I hope it's worth the money and continues to look good for years - it's not for me though for multiple reasons - I'll take my chances and deal with whatever comes my way Ya'll push that PPF like Covid shots!
Mind sharing your thoughts on why you choose not to 😷 your 🚘? Just interested… not trying to poke the 🐻 if it’s something you’d rather not get into.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:46 PM

2021 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by W213E53
Mind sharing your thoughts on why you choose not to 😷 your 🚘? Just interested… not trying to poke the 🐻 if it’s something you’d rather not get into.
Oh sure, it's not a big secret or anything -- when I first bought the car I did look into options, however after speaking to some installers and some folks with very nice cars who decided against it I came to the conclusion that I didn't want it. The biggest selling point against it for me was the fact that after you spend X amount of dollars on it, you still don't have 100% protection -- and you will likely never get that investment back. It's a known fact that you're not stopping a rock travelling 70 mph from damaging your PPF and paint - sure it'll protect against the small stuff but you will have to "fix" the PPF with a heat gun, etc. for things that create impacts. Secondly I'm way too OCD to have someone take my car apart to install PPF--- I see myself picking the install apart for deficiencies in the edges, etc....I would rather not "look for the PPF on my car" and just deal with whatever happens naturally as I've done with every other car I've owned. I will say this though, this is the first factory matte painted car I've owned, and it certainly has it's own challenges keeping clean -- I think having matte plays into me not wanting to put PPF on part of it as well.

Moral of the story - do what makes you happy.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:51 PM

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Yes. I had the XPEL installed on my 2019 C63s coupe with about 3,000 miles. Iridium silver. by an authorized XPEL installer.
It was definitely not up to standards. Under headlights the film started to seperate, dirt was finding it way under the seams.
And I did not realize wearing polarized sunglasses on sunny days revealed bleamishes/distortions throughtout the car. This fact was noted in XPEL site last question in FAQ. So everytime I wore polarized sunglasses on sunny days it would drive me crazy seeing these blemishes and distortions. The XPEL installed didn't even know this existed but did see it first hand when I brought my car to him.
After the 3rd return visit to him for the many corrections and the fact I needed to rent a car I decided to have him to remove it.
For me I never like it . I should have put a claim in with XPEL but did not and there was no refund and no charge to remove it.
With over 14,000 miles have not see any noticeable rock chips guess the Iridium Silver is more forgiving.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:28 AM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by jj18
Yes. I had the XPEL installed on my 2019 C63s coupe with about 3,000 miles. Iridium silver. by an authorized XPEL installer.
It was definitely not up to standards. Under headlights the film started to seperate, dirt was finding it way under the seams.
And I did not realize wearing polarized sunglasses on sunny days revealed bleamishes/distortions throughtout the car. This fact was noted in XPEL site last question in FAQ. So everytime I wore polarized sunglasses on sunny days it would drive me crazy seeing these blemishes and distortions. The XPEL installed didn't even know this existed but did see it first hand when I brought my car to him.
After the 3rd return visit to him for the many corrections and the fact I needed to rent a car I decided to have him to remove it.
For me I never like it . I should have put a claim in with XPEL but did not and there was no refund and no charge to remove it.
With over 14,000 miles have not see any noticeable rock chips guess the Iridium Silver is more forgiving.
I typically dont debate on this forum , why? because I am hated and not loved

however ... PPF , will protect your car .. Yes after installed you may have OCD .
yes, there are several ways to install the cut.
Run a paint thickness test with a meter , then run it again with the PPF on... I'm sure the new thickness = PPF adds a layer of thickness you cant beat

AGAIN IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE , period
This is all educational info

No different than me starting a fire, Why by the S , when you have Coupes in another segment for an additional 20K price.
I didn't buy the S , the 992 C4S will take car of that , however for now .. I am enjoying whats in the garage.
When I pull the C63 out ... everyone on this forum is a afterthought.
You are one with your thoughts and choices... and that SMILE..

Finance 80K+ - Most car enthusiast PPF the front
KICK *** paint color , like M gray and S grey - No PPF = large white chips ,
Lease - No ones does it , you dont get the value and money back

Old 07-13-2021, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,579 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jj18
Although, it is mentioned in the FAQ, the effect with polarized sunglasses is something that I've only ever seen in your case and with matte paint and XPEL Stealth and I exclusively wear polarized sunglasses. I guess with matte paint you are damned if you do and damned if you don't given how hard it is to repair the paint, but I've not seen this happening with gloss paint on my own cars and cars in the wild, other than yours. For the rest of it, a bad install is just a bad install. You do get what you pay for. PPF as I mentioned before comes out of military applications and has proven to block debris that would otherwise leave the front looking like white rash and the beginnings of a sand blasting after a while. Especially with dark colors such as black. Also, you don't have to treat the film with a heat gun. The sun will take care of it.

I have years of experience with dark colored cars and white rash from the debris over time, and now almost 10 years of experience with PPF with no white rash after as much as 8 years. With my previous car I even had some kind of debris land squarely on my hood, leaving a 1/4" mark in the film and even slightly cut the film, but the paint was fine and I had somebody bump into my rear bumper in a parking lot only damaging the film, so factory paint remained in tact and insurance paid to replace the film. More and more high end car manufacturers are now offering PPF from the factory even. Full PPF can be ordered on some Porsches for example straight from the factory. Is it worth it, well that's ultimately a personal decision. I did pay around $4000 to get my full front, door cups, door edges and rear bumper done by a certified and factory trained installer. It seemed worth it to me on a $100k car that I likely end up keeping for a while and I like for the black paint to not be peppered with white rash all over the front. Sure I could eventually get it resprayed, but in the mean time I would have all the rock chips to look at, and it would start all over after a respray, and it would no longer be factory paint.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-13-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S
Just curious what you guys are paying for PPF? Either full car or full front at least.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Just curious what you guys are paying for PPF? Either full car or full front at least.

Thanks.
Just last week, in the UK, I’ had my magno grey C63s fully protected with satin ppf and gloss on the other parts, spoiler, aero kit etc and it was £4500. I was told ‘satin’ ppf is a 20% premium above non-satin ppf. For me full PPF is a must for a magno finish, for the ‘standard’ finish would probably just go front end, it’s a lot cheaper also. Again PPF is only necessary if you have OCD about how your car looks regrading stone chips scratches etc otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Try telling my gf to spend money on protecting her car she’d say your crazy it’s just a piece of metal lol.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:12 AM

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1

Thanks.
I got full frontal done for $1600 from the MB dealership before the car ships to me. They wanted almost $8k for the full car which I thought was outrageous. I should have it in a week or two at the most!
shootermcgav1n (08-17-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:38 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
C63 S Coupe

Thanks.
I think I paid $800 for getting my front bumper covered. The installer threw in the mirrors too.
shootermcgav1n (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 12:45 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by RavenM6
I got full frontal done for $1600 from the MB dealership before the car ships to me. They wanted almost $8k for the full car which I thought was outrageous. I should have it in a week or two at the most!
That's not bad for the front from a dealer. I was just quoted by a shop $1800 for full front, $5500 for the entire car. Think I'm going to do the front end.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:45 PM

C63S
As an update, I stopped in MB service and was able to order touch up paint for the Selenite Matte gray (it's roughly a nail polish size bottle with applicator)

Part # 000 986 26 50 7297

The "7297" is the paint code
How did it go w/your touch up? any pics to share? I have 2 very unsightly spots on the drivers side that's a constant eye sore and will need to get some myself. Went to a high line collision shop and was told roughly 2k to redo the 2 panels (1 is on the door, the other the rear quarter panel, which as you all know stretches along the top of the window to the front).
Old 08-18-2021, 06:25 AM

2021 C63S Coupe
How did it go w/your touch up? any pics to share? I have 2 very unsightly spots on the drivers side that's a constant eye sore and will need to get some myself. Went to a high line collision shop and was told roughly 2k to redo the 2 panels (1 is on the door, the other the rear quarter panel, which as you all know stretches along the top of the window to the front).
I apologize, haven't applied any of the touch up yet -- I've been busy with other things and haven't driven or done much with the car lately! I don't see how the touch up can be any worse than the chip so I have high hopes for it - and it was certainly just a tad cheaper (<$30) than your paint quote!
Old 05-08-2022, 06:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG(W205) 17'
Sorry to revive this thread! Any update on the touch up? I just ordered the touchup paint for my Silver Magno as there is a paint chip near the door. Parts center said id notice it more then the chip. But not sure if anyone has actually tried it? Was told to try it in the wheel well first to see if it matches fully? Some scratches on the front bumper as well Id probably touch up too.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 amg coupe
How did touch up paint look

[How did the touch up paint turn out looking? I have scratch on my matte Magno Paint and I’m curious

QUOTE=brianc63s;8369871]thanks for this!! Btw, do you know if there is an online source for this besides the dealer?[/QUOTE]