Sponsored by:

Colours and keeping them clean

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2021 | 04:57 PM

s4
Colours and keeping them clean

Hi all,

Been lurking recently as waiting to pull the trigger on a 2015-16 C63S w205 once the market settles down a bit (worrying unsure when that might be here in the UK but thats another story).

I tend to keep my cars a while so I'm very picky on spec, I know exactly what I'm after now except the colour.....currently I have a black S4 and the colour looked superb BC (*before kids) when I had time to wash and wax it every couple of weeks between yearly professional details. I refuse to use the local scratch and wipe car washes but I'm lucky if I get time to wash the car once a month and time for waxing is just a distant dream at present.

I really like the look of the polar white on these C63's, as well as the grey - both when combined with the night pack look great IMO.

Assume grey hides the dirt alot better (but perhaps not the swirls). Black I won't own again uand unsure on the blue, I don't mind it and when clean it looks nice in pics but they seem less popular here/harder to sell.

How do you guys and girls find the polar white and the grey? What about silver? Usually not a fan of silver but wouldn't rule it out.

I've also never had black wheels but really like the multispokes in black.
Old 09-26-2021 | 05:44 PM

C43
I am partial to grey with the night package.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
I am partial to polar white. Had black and red before and white is so much easier. But still need to wash it regularly or you will see all dirt splashed upon it from the roads.

Old 09-26-2021 | 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
You will see dirt much easier on a lighter color, especially white. Everybody always goes on about black, but I've only ever owned black cars. There something about the contrast, and how the surroundings reflect in the black paint. I only ever had metallic black, though. The black on my C63 makes the yellow interior accents and the red calipers pop. Black is the ultimate contrast color. Granted I live in a climate with 300+ dry days a year on average and I garage my cars, but keeping black looking good has never been an issue for me. I don't even wax by hand. I have a touchless car wash less than a mile from my house and I primarily use that to wash off dust and grime that collects over time, and get a coat of wax. I used to regularly handwash my cars, but frankly I have better things to do these days. I usually give it a handwash in the spring after the winter rain stopped, but then during the summer the touchless wash keeps it looking good for the most part and I might throw in an occasional handwash to thoroughly clean the wheels etc. I have the black wheels as well, and they hide the dirt and dust much more than lighter wheels, and the pressure washing gets most of the brake dust off.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-26-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2021 | 02:21 AM

c63s coupe
2 of my last 3 cars have been black and I've sworn never again. I got a c63 in magno grey and its probably the best colour I've ever owned for hiding dirt and dust so I assume the metallic grey would be similar. I had a silver 911 a couple of cars ago and it too was excellent at hiding the dirt. The black alloys I find look brown almost constantly from the brake dust, I miss the CCB from my GTR in that respect but grey/silver are the best colours for hiding dirt I've found.
Old 09-27-2021 | 05:02 AM

s4
Thanks all, I'll keep Grey, White and Silver on my list

I do agree black is the best colour when its clean/detailed - but you never own a black car it owns you

I'll also aim for black wheels as I just fancy those next for a change. I'll just be patient and wait for the right car at the right price, but I really cannot wait - the c63 is going to be alot more exciting than the S4 (which has been brilliant to be fair).
Old 09-27-2021 | 11:33 AM

C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by rianos
2 of my last 3 cars have been black and I've sworn never again. I got a c63 in magno grey and its probably the best colour I've ever owned for hiding dirt and dust so I assume the metallic grey would be similar. I had a silver 911 a couple of cars ago and it too was excellent at hiding the dirt. The black alloys I find look brown almost constantly from the brake dust, I miss the CCB from my GTR in that respect but grey/silver are the best colours for hiding dirt I've found.
100% accurate. My graphite grey magno hides dirt extremely well. Wouldn't get that color as a daily driver though, worrying about the matte getting scratched or nicked would be too much.
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:41 PM

2005 C55 AMG, 2017 AMG C63
I have a standard black C63, and I agree it will be hard to keep clean. Do you guys have any recommendations for cleaning products (waterless wash, wax, etc.) that work better on the colors mentioned in this thread?
Old 09-27-2021 | 01:02 PM

GLE400, 2017 Porsche 911S
Just about always bought silver. My C63S is Iridium silver. Silver and dark gray are the best to hid dirt and blemishes. Black looks great the day you take delivery. If you are OCD about how your car looks, stay away from Black IMO. Good luck with your future purchase!
Old 09-27-2021 | 03:07 PM

s4
YOgun27 - have a look at Detailed Vehicle Detailing Essex he is the guy I used to use, his posts state what products he uses. I always feel with black the most important thing is just to try and avoid getting any swirlmarks.
Old 09-27-2021 | 03:28 PM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Grey or White are the safest colors when it comes to Dirt and Swirls
Just facts and science!
Old 09-27-2021 | 03:45 PM

W205 AMG
I picked up my vehicle off the lot so I couldn't be picky on colour. That's why I ended up with Polar White.

If I did order my car, it would have been Brilliant Blue. IMO, its the best colour for this generation of C63. My parents have a FL C43 in Brilliant Blue and its looks great.

If you're looking for a low maintenance option, I would consider getting it ceramic coated. I personally have never done, but have heard great things from friends in family who have. Definitely makes keeping your car much easier. The automatic touchless washes are more than enough to keep your car looking clean.
Old 09-27-2021 | 06:14 PM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Ordered my 2021 and still went with Polar White , looks clean every time I pull it out to drive ..... last Benz was Black!

Porsche will be black thou , with Yellow CC brakes.. or Miami Blue
I still have 3 years to decide lol

Hey Enjoy the Ride!
Old 09-28-2021 | 10:48 AM

s4
This one is diamond white but nice spec, exactly the options I'm looking for. The EIGHT owners is very off-putting and likely means some maintenance has been skipped or cut corners on - which seems the case looking at the lack of matching/elite tyres..
Old 09-28-2021 | 10:55 AM

none
Originally Posted by shabbauk
This one is diamond white but nice spec, exactly the options I'm looking for. The EIGHT owners is very off-putting and likely means some maintenance has been skipped or cut corners on - which seems the case looking at the lack of matching/elite tyres..
Eight owners??? Run and don't look back. There's much better options out there if you have patience.
Old 09-28-2021 | 10:58 AM

s4
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
Eight owners??? Run and don't look back. There's much better options out there if you have patience.
Totally agree. I'd rather buy private - you can get a feel for the owner and ideally find somewhere who has had the car a while and its been there pride and joy etc.