C63s kicks like a hammer when ESP off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63S 2015
C63s kicks like a hammer when ESP off

Hi guys, I have a quite strange issue.

When I turn the ESP off completely (I know the difference between Sport Handling and OFF) and go full throttle and wheels are spinning, the rear of the car is vibrating like a hell.
It's like ESP kicks in and tries to stop the spinning and it kinda stops even in the 1st gear and in rain. If you would like to draw the 20 meters line, it wouldn't do it.

If I powerslide it goes smoothly until the angle nearly reaches 0. So the effect is very noticeable when wheels are spinning on straight. During powerslide I can go with the 2nd or 3rd gear like a champ.

Do you think it can be deformed wheels? I have a feeling that the rear right wheel is not smooth and it impacts on the vibration.

It's like something is bouncing in the trunk or rubber hummer is hitting there. Or like a wheel stuttering or stops and goes continuously.

FYI, I have a 1cm hub centric spacers on the rear wheels.

Last edited by ggogobera; 10-06-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 C63S Coupé
It’s called wheel hop—it’s the suspension rapidly loading and unloading from being over powered.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:40 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by jtn83
It’s called wheel hop—it’s the suspension rapidly loading and unloading from being over powered.
Agreed. That's what it sounds like to me.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:19 AM

C63S 2015
Originally Posted by jtn83
I didn’t know about that word to describe my problem, but googled and that’s exactly what happens with my car.

I believe it’s not by design and that shouldn’t be happening especially on this car.

Should I replace bushings or smt?
Old 10-07-2021, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
I have had this happen on my car too during donuts. I thought it is just a normal characteristic of the car. Is it not actually?
Old 10-07-2021, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe

can you check the video and tell me if this is what you are talking about?
Old 10-07-2021, 10:20 AM

C63S 2015
Originally Posted by munis
I have had this happen on my car too during donuts. I thought it is just a normal characteristic of the car. Is it not actually?
I'm not sure. I don't think it's normal, especially in this car.

There are some videos on YT where people change parts to fix wheel hop. Fix is based on different things (for instance damaged bushings), but the outcome is one - to fix wheel hop.

I've done a burnout today on a dry surface. If wheels starts to spin real fast and you go full throttle, it goes smoothly.

But, when you go straight without braking that's where hop starts, cuz something isn't stable in the rear suspension.

Originally Posted by munis
https://youtu.be/qn9pUFyU9Co

can you check the video and tell me if this is what you are talking about?
It's hard for me to say based on this video. I think you are all good. It was more like a rattling sound and it's different

Wheel hop example. It's very brutal on 0:50s

Last edited by ggogobera; 10-07-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
C63s
Wheel hop is common and normal when you're powering out from a dig. It used to happen to me lots on FWD manual transmission cars. To me, it always sounded like someone hitting the front strut tower with a hammer. Not a nice sound, and I'm sure not good for the suspension.

Edit- Just realized you described the sound as hammer like in the thread title. Pretty sure we are all describing the same thing.

Last edited by '1663s; 10-08-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:00 AM

C63S 2015
Originally Posted by '1663s
Wheel hop is common and normal when you're powering out from a dig. It used to happen to me lots on FWD manual transmission cars. To me, it always sounded like someone hitting the front strut tower with a hammer.
Is vibrating left to right normal too? Sound and hop can create some vibrations but it shakes my car in different directions. I also notice that the rear right wheel is hopping mostly.

I guess it’s hard to describe the scenario verbally. You need to experience it in real to know better.

Last edited by ggogobera; 10-08-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
c450
I get wheel hop when I lose traction in sport traction mode. Usually out of a dig or a first gear pull. However with traction fully off or while just doing drifts and donuts It feels smooth to me.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:25 AM

C63S 2015
Originally Posted by mokawop
I get wheel hop when I lose traction in sport traction mode. Usually out of a dig or a first gear pull. However with traction fully off or while just doing drifts and donuts It feels smooth to me.
Exactly what happens with me.

I'm coming to conclusion that it's normal.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ggogobera
Exactly what happens with me.

I'm coming to conclusion that it's normal.
hopefully its nothing, not sure how you mean side to side tbh, hard to figure how that would even happen

Old 10-09-2021, 12:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by ggogobera
Hi guys, I have a quite strange issue.

When I turn the ESP off completely (I know the difference between Sport Handling and OFF) and go full throttle and wheels are spinning, the rear snaptube vidmate of the car is vibrating like a hell.
It's like ESP kicks in and tries to stop the spinning and it kinda stops even in the 1st gear and in rain. If you would like to draw the 20 meters line, it wouldn't do it.

If I powerslide it goes smoothly until the angle nearly reaches 0. So the effect is very noticeable when wheels are spinning on straight. During powerslide I can go with the 2nd or 3rd gear like a champ.

Do you think it can be deformed wheels? I have a feeling that the rear right wheel is not smooth and it impacts on the vibration.

It's like something is bouncing in the trunk or rubber hummer is hitting there. Or like a wheel stuttering or stops and goes continuously.

FYI, I have a 1cm hub centric spacers on the rear wheels.
strange that I had the same issue last month , I took mine to a garage and he fixed something about battery cables

Last edited by garyharbon; 10-09-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
I messed around with launch control on mine for the first time this weekend. In ESP sport and ESP off at the stock dial setting, there was quite a lot of wheel hop. I adjusted the suspension to comfort and set the TC dial at 8 and it launched perfectly with the the right amount of wheelspin and no wheel hop.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:22 PM

C63S 2015
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
I messed around with launch control on mine for the first time this weekend. In ESP sport and ESP off at the stock dial setting, there was quite a lot of wheel hop. I adjusted the suspension to comfort and set the TC dial at 8 and it launched perfectly with the the right amount of wheelspin and no wheel hop.
Thanks for testing it. Softening the suspension should fix it yeah, but I think you never want it during drifting.

My C class is old mode without TC settings.