SPONSOR

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts
W205 C63
C63 ModalWorks Performance Radiator Product Release, Stage 1, 1.5, and 2

Order here
Individually
:https://modalwork.com/products/c63-p...oler-radiators
Stage 2 Kit: https://modalwork.com/collections/co...rs-stage-2-kit

After nearly a year of design, development and testing, we are proud to finally release our stage 1, 1.5 and 2 cooling options. More pictures coming soon. On sale now for Black Friday/Cyber Monday until we sell out of our first batch. We have a few in stock now with the remainder of the inventory shipping out in late December.

Stage 1: Main Intercooler Radiator
Stage 1.5: 2 piece kit, Main + Auxiliary Intercooler Radiators
Stage 2: 3 Piece kit, Main + Auxiliary Intercooler Radiators plus an Auxiliary Engine Radiator

Quick Highlights:

1. Stock system has very poor heat soak characteristics. Intake Air Temps (IATs) rise about 15% per 60-130mph run in 90°F ambient conditions, resulting in major power loss after a few pulls.
2. Our Stage 1 system reduces IATs by 45% and 25°F after 5 successive pulls. One of the biggest benefits is reduced heat soak capacity and the ability to keep putting down more power. We achieve this through a proprietary core design and changing the system from a single pass to a triple pass coolant path.
3. Stage 1.5 further enhances Stage 1 with the additional auxiliary cooler which provides 54% and 30°F peak IAT reduction at the 5th run.
4. Our Aux cooler can double as an engine cooler and shows up to 12°F cooler engine coolant temperatures (ECT) after 5 pulls.

Detailed Write-up:

On our C63’s, we have 3 front facing radiators that serve multiple purposes. The primary center and LHS (driver’s side in the USA) work together to cool the intake charge temperatures and well as the transmission simultaneously. As your transmission warms up, it directly affects your intake air temperatures which isn’t ideal.

To combat this rise in temperature, we have custom designed from the ground up a single and dual radiator option. We explored multiple avenues, performed multiple iterations of testing, and came up with a solution that is proven to reduce undesirable temperatures. We partnered with one of the best radiator core companies in the world to optimize heat rejection which translate to lower intake temps and a happier transmission.

Test Method:

We went through multiple rounds of testing with over 5 different concepts to arrive at the product shown below. We varied core thickness, fin and tube sizing, water routing and end tank design to arrive at our final configuration shown below.

Our final testing was done in the Texas summer heat (90-95F°) at close to 4000DA with our hybrid turbo setup running 27+PSI of boost. This combination of high ambient temps with high boost greatly stresses the components the intercooler system is trying to cool. Each test was done with successive rolling pulls, with approximately 60 seconds of time between each run. This causes the entire system to heat soak and progressively get hotter after each pull. Additionally, all of the data shown below starts at Run 2. We did this to normalize the results and pre-stress the system equally between each configuration to rule out variances due to starting temperatures and transmission warm-up. At the beginning of each set of tests, the first run was excluded as all systems were more or less “cold” and we do not believe the results are valid.

Stock Baseline:

With the completely stock system, we tracked IATs pull after pull and created the following charts. We measured average intake temperature and peak intake temperature per 60-130mph run to obtain a holistic picture of how the stock system performs. As shown below, the system raises 8-14°F per run, and by the 4th run the car was running poorly with massive timing pulls due to high intake temperatures. We planned to do 5 pulls but the power loss was so bad we could not manage to do 5 back to back pulls without excessive timing pulls and had to cut the test short.

Stage 1 Results:

This option replaces the primary radiator with our Stage 1 model. It shows significant intake temperature reductions and greatly improved heat soak mitigation. To achieve our results we partnered with PWR to custom design our core which uses a proprietary fin arrangement, fin density and coolant tube design. In addition to the core design we also rerouted the entry coolant passage and converted this system from a single pass to a triple pass design. With these enhancements, we were able to reduce IATs by 45% and 25°F after 5 successive pulls. One of the biggest benefits is reduced heat soak capacity and the ability to keep putting down more power without pulling timing like the stock system.

Stage 1.5 Results:

This option uses our main core plus the additional auxiliary cooler on the left hand side. Our new design is larger with another proprietary core design that further enables our great results. The main and auxiliary cooler were able to achieve peak IAT reductions of 54% and 30°F at the 5th run.

Stage 2 Results:

We designed our auxiliary coolers to be reversible and to be able to mount to either side of the vehicle. On the right hand side the auxiliary cooler acts as an additional engine radiator. We are pleased to report that the upgrade of this cooler consistently reduced engine coolant temps by 9-12°F pull after pull, resulting in a happier engine.

Order here:https://modalwork.com/products/c63-p...oler-radiators

Last edited by ModalWorks; 11-19-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: new link
The following 4 users liked this post by ModalWorks:
George_1992 (04-27-2022), Jimmy_c63s (04-17-2022), PayKoHan (11-19-2021), twernicke (04-27-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:43 AM

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
'16 C63s
What's the price on the Stage 2? I see the main radiator listed on the site for $775 and the aux for $550, so would the Stage 2 be $1875 ($550*2 + $775) or is there a package deal? Price reflects black Friday/cyber Monday sale?
Old 11-19-2021, 11:57 AM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Great question, yes these are BFCB prices and the Stage 2 kit has an additional discount applied:

https://modalwork.com/collections/co...rs-stage-2-kit
Old 11-19-2021, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Looks better than the junk sold by other vendors
Old 11-19-2021, 01:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
'16 C63s
Originally Posted by ModalWorks
Great question, yes these are BFCB prices and the Stage 2 kit has an additional discount applied:

https://modalwork.com/collections/co...rs-stage-2-kit

Ah, perfect - thanks! Didn't realize there was a separate link for the Stage 2.

How is the install? PnP or are modifications required? (If I missed it on the site, you have my permission to call me illiterate).
Old 11-19-2021, 04:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s Estate
Originally Posted by raphman

How is the install? PnP or are modifications required? (If I missed it on the site, you have my permission to call me illiterate).
This question.

What is the diference with this product?

https://modalwork.com/collections/co...-and-auxiliary

The following users liked this post:
raphman (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:07 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by jopsis_c63s
This question.

What is the diference with this product?

https://modalwork.com/collections/co...-and-auxiliary
In short, that product is comparable to what other vendors sell and is made in China. Our Modalworks product is designed in house (in Texas) and manufactured in the USA.

That China radiator is something we considered selling extensively but have decided not to. We picked up a few earlier this year and have no plans to sell after our last few are gone. We have changed our business model to only sell things we design and manufacture so everything else that wasn’t our design will only remain on the site until they sell out.

The following 3 users liked this post by ModalWorks:
jopsis_c63s (11-20-2021), miamiboy (11-20-2021), nbennettksu (11-21-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:10 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by raphman

It’s plug and play. All the radiators mount in the oem positions.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
You mention that the final testing was done on a C63 with hybrid turbos and 27+PSI boost - was this done on all the different stages (1, 1.5, 2)?

Do all the stages separate cooling of the transmission from the charge intake temperature?

This is an interesting kit. I am currently running stock with Modal intake and catted DP, and during heavy track sessions am getting into the 220-230 C range, so wondering how much this should help keep things cool Separating the cooling of the transmission would help for longer track runs. Eventually plan for upgrading turbos when I no longer want to track this thing, so having this in place would help.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:14 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by Spazdoc
You mention that the final testing was done on a C63 with hybrid turbos and 27+PSI boost - was this done on all the different stages (1, 1.5, 2)?

Do all the stages separate cooling of the transmission from the charge intake temperature?

This is an interesting kit. I am currently running stock with Modal intake and catted DP, and during heavy track sessions am getting into the 220-230 C range, so wondering how much this should help keep things cool Separating the cooling of the transmission would help for longer track runs. Eventually plan for upgrading turbos when I no longer want to track this thing, so having this in place would help.
Testing for all three setups was done with the same turbos and tune. This system does not split the transmission cooling, they cool both the trans and the intake simultaneously.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:21 PM

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
@ModalWorks few questions as I’m seriously considering your kit:
  • any install instructions or guidance for the DIYer? what would you estimate labor hours?
  • if I start with stage 1, is this modular in the sense I can upgrade to stage 1.5 or 2, incrementally fairly simply in the future?
  • is there an mbworld discount code or spring promo upcoming

cheers!

Last edited by noremaC; 03-22-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:49 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by noremaC
@ModalWorks few questions as I’m seriously considering your kit:
  • any install instructions or guidance for the DIYer? what would you estimate labor hours?
  • if I start with stage 1, is this modular in the sense I can upgrade to stage 1.5 or 2, incrementally fairly simply in the future?
  • is there an mbworld discount code or spring promo upcoming

cheers!
1. I can do a writeup or provide WIS instructions. The most critical piece of equipment is that you need to get a vacuum filler to properly fill the fluid circuit and access to STAR diagnostics to monitor the coolant pumps. We generally recommend going to a shop to have it done. I'd guesstimate about 2-3 hours to do the whole job yourself with the right tools.
2. Yes, can easily add more coolers at any point
3. You can use code STAYCOOL22 for a discount
Old 03-24-2022, 08:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
1. I can do a writeup or provide WIS instructions. The most critical piece of equipment is that you need to get a vacuum filler to properly fill the fluid circuit and access to STAR diagnostics to monitor the coolant pumps. We generally recommend going to a shop to have it done. I'd guesstimate about 2-3 hours to do the whole job yourself with the right tools.
2. Yes, can easily add more coolers at any point
3. You can use code STAYCOOL22 for a discount
A writeup or WIS instructions would go a long way.

Much appreciated sir!
Old 04-27-2022, 02:47 PM

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts
C63 S Coupe
In short, that product is comparable to what other vendors sell and is made in China. Our Modalworks product is designed in house (in Texas) and manufactured in the USA.

That China radiator is something we considered selling extensively but have decided not to. We picked up a few earlier this year and have no plans to sell after our last few are gone. We have changed our business model to only sell things we design and manufacture so everything else that wasn’t our design will only remain on the site until they sell out.
This is solid. Love the testing and results 👍

Can all three coolers be mounted and plug & play in reverse so the logos aren't seen? Trying to keep my sleeper look
Old 04-27-2022, 07:18 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by George_1992
This is solid. Love the testing and results 👍

Can all three coolers be mounted and plug & play in reverse so the logos aren't seen? Trying to keep my sleeper look
Reverse side is painted with the logo for the opposite side install. You can use silver radiator paint to put it back to an oem look though.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:37 PM

C63 S Coupe
Reverse side is painted with the logo for the opposite side install. You can use silver radiator paint to put it back to an oem look though.
Thx these are a good kit...... pwr make great coolers

Can they be installed either way? Eg. logo at the front too?
Old 04-29-2022, 05:21 AM

C63 S Coupe
Can they be installed either way? Eg. logo at the front too?

Umm hello? Is anybody there? I've sent you an e-mail 48 hours ago about my payment and haven't even got a response lol......

Old 05-01-2022, 01:16 AM
SPONSOR

W205 C63

Umm hello? Is anybody there? I've sent you an e-mail 48 hours ago about my payment and haven't even got a response lol......

The main radiator only installs one way and has the logo facing out. The auxiliary coolers are painted on both sides and can be installed in both orientations, so the logo on those will also always face outwards.

I’m not sure what email you’re referring to, please DM us so we can answer any questions you have.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Received my Stage 2 coolers and impressed with how light they are. Quick postage to Australia only took a bit over a week.

Sent you a DM question about installation with some pics, if you could get back to me this weekend?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 05-07-2022 at 12:49 AM.
deanoo (05-07-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 10:21 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
We have had some recent installs from the USA and Australia. In stock and ready to ship. Get ready for the warmer weather with the the complete radiator upgrade for the C63. Engine, trans and intercoolers all benefit from the 3 piece option!

Jimmy_c63s (05-12-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 01:17 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
In stock and ready to ship! Get the best plug and play cooling option for your C63
Old 06-13-2024, 09:01 AM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
We realized a lot of people don’t know the difference in fluid paths between this design and the others, so check it out below:

View this post on Instagram
Old 06-13-2024, 11:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG C63s
We realized a lot of people don’t know the difference in fluid paths between this design and the others, so check it out below:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8IaI...htOWcxMXhpYWFq

So PWR not making your coolers anymore ??????
Old 06-14-2024, 08:06 AM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by Struth
So PWR not making your coolers anymore ??????
They still make them, why do you say that?
Old 06-14-2024, 08:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG C63s
They still make them, why do you say that?

Because you said they were your coolers so wasn't sure sure they were making them. Last time I spoke to them they said they weren't anymore as you went to China to get them made.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 ModalWorks Performance Radiator Product Release, Stage 1, 1.5, and 2