Sponsored by:

Cracked Front Camera Lens - C63s Convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63s; 2008 LP640 (manual); 1992 Viper RT/10; 2020 QX80 Limited
Exclamation Cracked Front Camera Lens - C63s Convertible

Has anyone else come across this? They wanted $1.7K to replace the front camera at the dealership and I wonder if I can just replace the lens on the front camera myself to save. Even the dealership apologized but said they need to remove the front grill, etc and replace the whole camera unit. He agreed if i could get a new lens that might do the trick.

Thanks for your help on this. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2021, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
This bull**** !!! They make you pay for the whole assembly when no longer under warranty. I’m sure they can just replace the crack len if the car still under warranty. 5 year ago my fabric convertible top glue peeled apart. They want $7k to replace the whole top assembly. I found a company with 30 years experienced on replacement convertible top for $1200 !!!
Old 11-29-2021, 02:00 PM

Funny you mention that about the warranty. They view it was wear and tear and the service lead told me I should put a 3M film on the camera to avoid it getting cracked by stones on the road.

I'm going to keep searching for another solution, starting with locating a replacement lens. I already removed the cracked lens and if I find one from a malfunctioning camera, this should be a cheap, simple fix. Will keep everyone updated.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:01 PM

Received 382 Likes on 245 Posts
It'd be interesting to see a picture of how the cracked lens affects the display. If the camera still works, it might be worth a trip to one of the windshield chip/crack fixers to see whether they can inject their solution into the lens to clean up the display (assuming the crack is messing it up).
Old 11-29-2021, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,859 Likes on 2,580 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by EditionOne
Funny you mention that about the warranty. They view it was wear and tear and the service lead told me I should put a 3M film on the camera to avoid it getting cracked by stones on the road.

I'm going to keep searching for another solution, starting with locating a replacement lens. I already removed the cracked lens and if I find one from a malfunctioning camera, this should be a cheap, simple fix. Will keep everyone updated.
That's not surprising. Damage from road debris has never been covered under warranty. You might have better luck filing an insurance claim under your comprehensive coverage. I recently had a cracked tail light, probably from a rock hitting it somehow, and got replaced under my comprehensive coverage. I have a $100 deductible for such cases, so it was a cheap fix. The bigger issue is that they probably don't sell the lens on its own, and only the complete module, so it's replacing the whole thing or trying to find just the lens from somewhere.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-29-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:53 PM

Now that I removed the lens completely, its just a white fog from that camera. When the cracks were in the lens, it was white space between seeing things, like an annoying line running through your laptop or cell phone.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's not surprising. Damage from road debris has never been covered under warranty. You might have better luck filing an insurance claim under your comprehensive coverage. I recently had a cracked tail light, probably from a rock hitting it somehow, and got replaced under my comprehensive coverage. I have a $100 deductible for such cases, so it was a cheap fix. The bigger issue is that they probably don't sell the lens on its own, and only the complete module, so it's replacing the whole thing or trying to find just the lens from somewhere.
I've been unable to source the lens alone. I'm looking into buying a used Mercedes camera module and carefully removing the lens and placing it on my mine. Its frustrating, as if i would replace my professional camera just because the lens is broken or scratched. Of course not, i would purchase a new lens.

On the bright side, its less than the $6K I just paid to have the rotors and pads replaced
Old 12-07-2021, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
On the bright side, its less than the $6K I just paid to have the rotors and pads replaced
I hope that was for CCBs, otherwise you got taken for a field day. FCP Euro has kits for the front and rear with better front rotors than stock. Parts about $2000 and a good indy does a brake job for maybe $300-$400.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Ben...b=9&d=15498&v=
Old 12-08-2021, 01:37 PM

I hope that was for CCBs, otherwise you got taken for a field day. FCP Euro has kits for the front and rear with better front rotors than stock. Parts about $2000 and a good indy does a brake job for maybe $300-$400.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Ben...b=9&d=15498&v=
No, they are not the ceramic (those would have been more according to the dealership). That's what I paid Mercedes of Charlotte (with tax). I also called another Mercedes dealership and it was the same price. A performance shop offered a $1K savings, all OEM parts. At that point, I didn't want the hassle of having work done somewhere else. The Mercedes dealership made a nice mark up indeed.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
No, they are not the ceramic (those would have been more according to the dealership). That's what I paid Mercedes of Charlotte (with tax). I also called another Mercedes dealership and it was the same price. A performance shop offered a $1K savings, all OEM parts. At that point, I didn't want the hassle of having work done somewhere else. The Mercedes dealership made a nice mark up indeed.
They certainly did, and will again next time you have to replace the brakes. FCP Euro offers free lifetime replacement, so once you have their parts, the next ones are free until you sell the car. Just have to send the worn parts back.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 PM

They certainly did, and will again next time you have to replace the brakes. FCP Euro offers free lifetime replacement, so once you have their parts, the next ones are free until you sell the car. Just have to send the worn parts back.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
Thanks a lot. Great advice and will definitely go that route. Wish I had known about it before.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:23 PM

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
I've been unable to source the lens alone. I'm looking into buying a used Mercedes camera module and carefully removing the lens and placing it on my mine. Its frustrating, as if i would replace my professional camera just because the lens is broken or scratched. Of course not, i would purchase a new lens.

Yes. Two days before my scheduled appointment at MB Dealership for a new Key Fob, a rattle and a 5 ,000 mile oil change the dreaded Check Brake Pad warning came on. I pulled into an indy with mb experience. He advised front rotors and pads need replacements at $3 200 including tax.
Based on the above, I negotiated with MB Service advisor for front rotors/pads for $2,703.40. For my 2019 C63s coupe.
Since my car was already there I also wanted to keep my life simple and just had it done. I had 16,563 miles on it.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:32 PM

Received 382 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by jj18
... I had 16,563 miles on it.
It's very unlikely that the rotors actually needed to be replaced at that mileage, unless you've done some heavy track time and gone through at least 2 sets of pads (or 3 if they weren't track pads). As I've posted multiple times, the rotors have wear indicators ... here's one such posting:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ml#post8441675

It's true that there can be other conditions (cracks, gouges, warping) that require the rotors to be replaced, but it's all too often that "replace rotors when replacing pads" is the default -- and unnecessarily expensive -- option. <grrrrrr> WIS is quite clear on the requirements for (iron) rotor replacement (not so much for CCB rotors!) and it's not "always when replacing pads."
Old 12-09-2021, 04:07 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by user33
It's very unlikely that the rotors actually needed to be replaced at that mileage, unless you've done some heavy track time and gone through at least 2 sets of pads (or 3 if they weren't track pads). As I've posted multiple times, the rotors have wear indicators ... here's one such posting:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ml#post8441675

It's true that there can be other conditions (cracks, gouges, warping) that require the rotors to be replaced, but it's all too often that "replace rotors when replacing pads" is the default -- and unnecessarily expensive -- option. <grrrrrr> WIS is quite clear on the requirements for (iron) rotor replacement (not so much for CCB rotors!) and it's not "always when replacing pads."
The indy stated both front rotors has lipping. This indy an old school/old time mechanic who worked at MB Service for over 20+ years. At this station he showed me his 2017 AMG SL 63. His assessment was done few days before my MB Service appt. He advised for this model use only OEM brake components.So I decided to have both front Rotors and brakes replaced. He also recommended oil/filter change every 5,000 miles as he does with his 2017 AMG SL63.
After completion my MB Invoice listed as: Front brakes and rotors low 2mm remain. Rotor minimum 33mm actual 34.1mm and 34.3mm.
Now I don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by jj18; 12-09-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
The indy stated both front rotors has lipping. This indy an old school/old time mechanic who worked at MB Service for over 20+ years. At this station he showed me his 2017 AMG SL 63. His assessment was done few days before my MB Service appt. He advised for this model use only OEM brake components.So I decided to have both front Rotors and brakes replaced. He also recommended oil/filter change every 5,000 miles as he does with his 2017 AMG SL63.
After completion my MB Invoice listed as: Front brakes and rotors low 2mm remain. Rotor minimum 33mm actual 34.1mm and 34.3mm.
Now I don't have to worry about it.
Well astleast you got it done.. :-)

Yes the 2 main items to watch and take care on these cars is : #1 OIL CHANGES.. change it often and no more then 5K .. its just the cost of having an AMG, (and always use a NEW drain plug !!!) they are plastic and I dont care what anyone says, its a small price for the plug, and they are really ment to be single use.

and #2 - Brakes/Tires - these will wear out and sometimes quickly due to the setup on our cars from factory. (I went with Platz! floating rotors back/front and love them, I also track my car alot) Still was cheaper then MB Dealer prices

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
jj18 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 05:47 PM

Yes. Two days before my scheduled appointment at MB Dealership for a new Key Fob, a rattle and a 5 ,000 mile oil change the dreaded Check Brake Pad warning came on. I pulled into an indy with mb experience. He advised front rotors and pads need replacements at $3 200 including tax.
Based on the above, I negotiated with MB Service advisor for front rotors/pads for $2,703.40. For my 2019 C63s coupe.
Since my car was already there I also wanted to keep my life simple and just had it done. I had 16,563 miles on it.
I was able to make it it to 20K miles before I had to have all 4 rotors and pads replaced. The front pads were almost gone at that point and i elected to have them all done to keep it consistent. If anything they squeak more now. Since new they have been a bit squeaky at times, until i warm them up with several hard stops. I had the same issue with my Porsche C4s before, however its more annoying with my C63s.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:54 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
I was able to make it it to 20K miles before I had to have all 4 rotors and pads replaced. The front pads were almost gone at that point and i elected to have them all done to keep it consistent. If anything they squeak more now. Since new they have been a bit squeaky at times, until i warm them up with several hard stops. I had the same issue with my Porsche C4s before, however its more annoying with my C63s.
They may not have been bedded in correctly. Try to bed them in correctly and that should solve the issue. After I replaced my brakes all around I bedded them in and I've had no squeaks at all.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:00 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by FLC63s
Well astleast you got it done.. :-)

Yes the 2 main items to watch and take care on these cars is : #1 OIL CHANGES.. change it often and no more then 5K .. its just the cost of having an AMG, (and always use a NEW drain plug !!!) they are plastic and I dont care what anyone says, its a small price for the plug, and they are really ment to be single use.

and #2 - Brakes/Tires - these will wear out and sometimes quickly due to the setup on our cars from factory. (I went with Platz! floating rotors back/front and love them, I also track my car alot) Still was cheaper then MB Dealer prices

Cheers
Yes. The SA advised me about a new Drain plug is required each time an oil/filter change is done.
Photo below shows the MB part numbers that were used on my recent oil/filter change for a 2019 C63s coupe.
The part numbers can help getting all the required parts if DIY or an Indy for OIL/FILTER change.