tire mileage for lowered cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
tire mileage for lowered cars?

I know its been discussed but like to get some numbers: what mileage do you get out of your front tires (lowered cars only) with or without camber kit?

I use PS4S and get 8-9k max before the underlayment shows. I have a KMAC camber/caster kit in the garage but never installed it because of cost of installation and different opinions that this kit caused other issues when not installed perfectly. So, after going through 3 sets of tires in 2 years, I am now wondering if I should install the kit or not. I don't race, handling is more than fine as-is w/o the kit - only problem for me is that they wear so fast that I never quite get them changed quick enough before they actually become a hazard/danger to fail on me while driving.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
How often are you checking your alignment? From what I've read, alignment in our cars does not necessarily stay within spec for the amount of time tire life would be expected and ensuring the toe is staying within spec is more important for tread life than the camber itself to a degree.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
How often are you checking your alignment? From what I've read, alignment in our cars does not necessarily stay within spec for the amount of time tire life would be expected and ensuring the toe is staying within spec is more important for tread life than the camber itself to a degree.
I had it checked and corrected at every tire change. Camber is set to what it can w/o the camber kit, Toe is in spec.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
I've roughly done 18k km on my ps4s. Had an alignment done a few weeks ago and checked the fronts, can tell there is wear due to the camber but probably have a few more thousand km on them and I have no camber kit on the fronts. Rears I didn't take a good look but I do have camber arms and are set to oem specs so I assume can't be worse than fronts. Lowered on eibachs.
Will moat likely get a new set of fronts when my new wheels arrive in about 2 months.
The following users liked this post:
tobeit (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,636 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not lowered, but I only got 8k out of my last set of PS4S, too. Got about 10k out of the stock PSS. Both times the toe was out of spec when I changed the tires. Just had my annual service done last week. Only drove about 4-5k miles since the last service/alignment and had them check it again. Was slightly out of spec again and they aligned it. Drives noticeably sharper now, and hopefully that'll extend the life of the front tires. It looks like this thing needs the alignment checked every 4-5k miles.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:15 PM

none
Originally Posted by dctwc63s
I've roughly done 18k km on my ps4s. Had an alignment done a few weeks ago and checked the fronts, can tell there is wear due to the camber but probably have a few more thousand km on them and I have no camber kit on the fronts. Rears I didn't take a good look but I do have camber arms and are set to oem specs so I assume can't be worse than fronts. Lowered on eibachs.
Will moat likely get a new set of fronts when my new wheels arrive in about 2 months.
I’m on eibachs as well. Stock tire size?
Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 PM

2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
I’m on eibachs as well. Stock tire size?
running 265/35/19 285/35/19
Old 01-21-2022, 01:28 AM

2019 C63S Sedan

inner

outer
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s

front - after 9k miles and toe checked before mounting

rear - after 17k miles and toe checked before mounting and at 8k miles
Old 01-22-2022, 04:53 AM
SPONSOR

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by tobeit
I know its been discussed but like to get some numbers: what mileage do you get out of your front tires (lowered cars only) with or without camber kit?
I use PS4S and get 8-9k max before the underlayment shows. I have a KMAC camber/caster kit in the garage but never installed it because of cost of installation and different opinions that this kit caused other issues when not installed perfectly. So, after going through 3 sets of tires in 2 years, I am now wondering if I should install the kit or not. I don't race, handling is more than fine as-is w/o the kit - only problem for me is that they wear so fast that I never quite get them changed quick enough before they actually become a hazard/danger to fail on me while driving.
Keep in mind there is no OEM adjustment other then Front & Rear Toe (directional adjustment).

No front “Camber” to adjust tire contact angles to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear (or Track days ability to reduce understeer allowing to go deeper into corners with increased traction and braking response).

Re fitting times - Front “Camber” kit can be fitted without need for arm removal. Bush extraction tool included (popular kit over 200 sold).

While front “Caster” kit replaces the 2 front forward facing thrust arm bushes allowing to correctly resolve steering pull, improve high speed directional control, with less dive / lift under brake and acceleration.

These KMAC Caster bushes are also “Monoball / 2 Axis” design replacing the soft rubber oil and air voided OEM bushings. Resulting in significantly improved brake and steering response.’

Click here re Part Nos. & also “Rear Kits”

Spoiler

Old 01-22-2022, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by K-Mac
Keep in mind there is no OEM adjustment other then Front & Rear Toe (directional adjustment).

No front “Camber” to adjust tire contact angles to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear (or Track days ability to reduce understeer allowing to go deeper into corners with increased traction and braking response).

Re fitting times - Front “Camber” kit can be fitted without need for arm removal. Bush extraction tool included (popular kit over 200 sold).

While front “Caster” kit replaces the 2 front forward facing thrust arm bushes allowing to correctly resolve steering pull, improve high speed directional control, with less dive / lift under brake and acceleration.

These KMAC Caster bushes are also “Monoball / 2 Axis” design replacing the soft rubber oil and air voided OEM bushings. Resulting in significantly improved brake and steering response.’

Click here re Part Nos. & also “Rear Kits”
Spoiler

If you would read my post you would see I already have your kit. I am also well aware what can and what can not be adjusted on our wheel alignment and so do most if not all on this thread. You may have a nice product but your ads and replies that don't even add to the topic are really annoying after a while. I have 3 custom shops who either don't want to install your camber/caster kit or want an arm and a leg for it as its a pain to install.

PS: Having sold 200 kits is not impressive, sorry. 200*$400 is not worth the time your company put it in to develop and make these kits.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,636 Posts
2019 C63CS
If you would read my post you would see I already have your kit. I am also well aware what can and what can not be adjusted on our wheel alignment and so do most if not all on this thread. You may have a nice product but your ads and replies that don't even add to the topic are really annoying after a while. I have 3 custom shops who either don't want to install your camber/caster kit or want an arm and a leg for it as its a pain to install.

PS: Having sold 200 kits is not impressive, sorry. 200*$400 is not worth the time your company put it in to develop and make these kits.
I've put them on my ignore list. Every time we discuss alignment, this stooge posts the same old information and peddles his ware. As said most are aware of what can and cannot be adjusted on these cars, but I wouldn't give them my money.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
I've put them on my ignore list. Every time we discuss alignment, this stooge posts the same old information and peddles his ware. As said most are aware of what can and cannot be adjusted on these cars, but I wouldn't give them my money.
Yeah. I bought the lower bushing/caster kit with the idea they bring the lower part of the wheel in w/o pushing the upper part out (have no room to spare to push upper part out w/o raising the car). But I never got a clear answer and not willing to pay an arm and a leg just to find out my wheels don't fit anymore. So, I keep changing tires...
Old 01-22-2022, 08:28 PM

none
I’m actually surprised it took them this long to post their copy/paste ad in here…
Old 01-23-2022, 02:07 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550

Understand your frustration. Costly, premature, edge tire wear and no fix.

Do regret you were offended but you did advise (and understood) that you have a front adjuster kit to resolve situation but never fitted because of installation cost.

Therefore we pointed out that front Camber (the most important adjustment facility) - can be fitted without even the need for removal of the 2 front arms or special tools. While design and accuracy of “actual adjustment”, also cannot be made any simpler.

To quote an old adage “People Hate Change” - Any Alignment shop used to time consuming fitment and trial and error adjustment re kits over last 40 years on sighting a KMAC kit for the 1st. time will state “Totally different - how can / does this work”.

“But once they examine and get their head around it” - they realize the design breakthrough - brilliant in its simplicity (often said the simplest design is the best design).

Last edited by K-Mac; 01-23-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:08 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Yeah. I bought the lower bushing/caster kit with the idea they bring the lower part of the wheel in w/o pushing the upper part out (have no room to spare to push upper part out w/o raising the car). But I never got a clear answer and not willing to pay an arm and a leg just to find out my wheels don't fit anymore. So, I keep changing tires...
BACKGROUND - C63/S “FRONT” ADJUSTMENT (BOTH SIDES):

#503316-1G “CAMBER” $295
(less then cost 1 Hi Performance tire).

#503316K “CAMBER & CASTER” $480
Both above “lower arm” adjusters retains clearance top of tire to outer fender - when adjusting to resolve inner edge tire wear (or increases actual track width when adjusting to reduce understeer).

#503316-2J “CAMBER & CASTER” $380
Adjusts “Upper Arms” (IN for more Negative or OUT for more Positive Camber).
Old 01-23-2022, 04:46 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
@tobeit have you looked at the carbahn camber kit? Although it's quite expensive but it uses oem camber arm and I remember there was a thread of another member that got it and said it was very good.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63s AMG
yeahh i know its super annoying there post's, but just ignore them and find a reputable suspension place to install it, its just a camber bushing kit that adjust camber by rotation. think if you rotate right more negative and rotate left more positive (or vice versa).

Can defintely say they have improved my tire mileage from a set every 10k to 15-20k now (also lowered on H&R adjustable springs)

Have had a few mates that have installed and said the same.

The biggest problem i have found with these kits is the installer. Same mates that had it installed and never got it working correctly, complained about it then i told them to go to my installer and problem solved.

YMMV though, just lucky ive got a really reliable installer.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by tkboi
yeahh i know its super annoying there post's, but just ignore them and find a reputable suspension place to install it, its just a camber bushing kit that adjust camber by rotation. think if you rotate right more negative and rotate left more positive (or vice versa).

Can defintely say they have improved my tire mileage from a set every 10k to 15-20k now (also lowered on H&R adjustable springs)

Have had a few mates that have installed and said the same.

The biggest problem i have found with these kits is the installer. Same mates that had it installed and never got it working correctly, complained about it then i told them to go to my installer and problem solved.

YMMV though, just lucky ive got a really reliable installer.
Thanks. The problem is I will not know if I have a good installer until after the fact as nobody has installed them yet here (well 200 kits sold around the world is not that many to find one of the 200 in your area). I just quoted with a Euro Motorsports shop and they seemed at least comfortable to install these. How much mileage did you get before the install? I got a little less than 15k on OEM suspension before. I probably will give it a shot but the install is multiple times the cost of the kit...that also gets me on his advertisement...a low cost part means nothing if its costly to install and they know install is multiple times the cost of the kit. I chatted with them before and they told me it should take around 4hours each side for a trained guy (and good luck finding one), so 8hours minimum for someone that has never seen one.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:31 PM

Received 312 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Perhaps anecdotal, but on my c43 coupe lowered with H&R springs, I am seeing 8-9k on the fronts and 10-11k on the rears with PS4S tires.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
I did notice suspicious tire wear on the OE tires a while ago. Remember? https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...now-about.html I've just now changed tires from the OE Michelin Super Sports to Conti Extreme Contact Sports. While it was getting done, I had an alignment performed. And is the case, it's slightly out of MB specifications. I'm curious as to why there is no louder outcry from owners to Mercedes Benz to investigate and potentially resolve a manufacturing defect on a vehicle that is advertized by the company that can run and perform at marketed limits...

I will say up front I am not a fan of Michelin tires. Use to be (new 95 M3 running Michelin MMX tires). But not in recent memory. Here in the hot summers of Houston and surrounding areas, I found them to get 'oily' when they got hot and slide too much. The Contis give a very hard ride with stiff sidewalls. Control feels much more planted. I like the Conti's. I've ran them on my 09 Ford GT500, my 09 BMW 650i Sport and my previous 13 C63 AMG w/DevPkg. I like 'em... Predictable.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:50 AM

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 c63s drop top
man he was fighting the hell out of that steering wheel!
Old 02-05-2022, 02:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 C63 S
If anyone cares to save a few bucks on tires........ this is what I do, I get directional tires ( Nitto NT555 G2, Hankook Ventus V12, etc.) and drive them till you can see the inside wear but not to the point of almost showing the metal wires, so about 6k to 8k miles and then I take it to a shop to have them remove the left tire on the left wheel, and install it on the right wheel and vice versa. So basically your inner tire will have new meat to ride on lol. Even when both edges are worn, the middle still has plenty of life. I only do this on the fronts since I'm satisfied with how long the rears last.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by Ksun_w205
If anyone cares to save a few bucks on tires........ this is what I do, I get directional tires ( Nitto NT555 G2, Hankook Ventus V12, etc.) and drive them till you can see the inside wear but not to the point of almost showing the metal wires, so about 6k to 8k miles and then I take it to a shop to have them remove the left tire on the left wheel, and install it on the right wheel and vice versa. So basically your inner tire will have new meat to ride on lol. Even when both edges are worn, the middle still has plenty of life. I only do this on the fronts since I'm satisfied with how long the rears last.
That is very foolish to do. Let me know when you’re out driving. I want to make sure I’m not out at the same time.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
The tyres pictured above in @tobiet post look more like the result of toe damage rather than camber.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tire mileage for lowered cars?